So tell me why should I even try to support anyone?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

So I played my Guardian now since head start. And I really enjoy the class. I am mainly a PvE player and enjoy doing WvW as my kind of PvP. I didn’t have much time to test stuff in the BW so I started him assuming everyone would be at least ok in everything.

However. Now with level 80 and some time on him I feel like the Guardian is 100% balance around working in sPvP without caring how he does in the other modes. His base Hp pool is lower then warrior one and even below some of the leather classes.
In PvE most of his boons are great but you need a lot of timing to put them to a use and not wasted them because of the short time the last. One the other hand some can be spammed without even thinking. But all not a big deal. Really no big deal we are still the supporty mellee class, right? So we can help our team and bust out a bit of dmg right? Right? Wrong. We can do dmg very well and every class seems to be able to but if we try to support…well we get scammed by you for that.

Just to make it clear.
If I support we stop doing dmg for a certain period of time (and with the cast time for some support skills it can take like 4-7 sec.) and help our mates instead. The normal case should be that we still get something for our work. I mean we did help in the fight and maybe even turned the tide so it could be won. And what you give us for in a game where you want that everyone helps each other? Well basically it is a slap in the face and dirty laugh like "hahah you thought you are part of this ".
I just don’t get it I really don’t. Sure bots could be a problem in mass events so scaling what you get for only supporting there or take it out would make sense. But in dungeons. IN YOUR OWN STORYQUEST. Why the hell should I get punished for helping. I mean if I heal my ally in a story quest they do no dmg and if they kill something I get nothing.

Tell me. Please tell me I really tried to find out but I have no clue why this decision was made. I could Rage and tell I am mad about how it is but I want to know why it is like this. Maybe if someone explains it I see the hidden idea behind it. Because atm I have no clue how would come up with this kind of idea in a game based around ppl helping each other and playing together.

Blub.

Posted by: Batman.2078

Batman.2078

So you want to selflessly help others but are upset you don’t get rewarded for it?

LaronX.8079

I want that my work is woth something.
I help becaus I want and becaus I want. But it does not mean I should get punished for it. In this game you need a certain amount of farming. If you want ppl to be nice and help each other and give them nothing for it you miss the point in a game. So there must be a reason behind it and I want to know it. I do help selflessy but selflessly does not mean I don’t expcet to at least get something like a well done or good job. In the end we are here in a game. I am not helping poor ppl.

edit: Grammer and stuff

Blub.

Posted by: ccrazool.2905

ccrazool.2905

I help becaus I want and becaus I want.

I do help selflessy but selflessly does not mean I don’t expcet to at least get something

I am not helping poor ppl.

ROFL awesome. This is literally awesome.

LaronX.8079

You seem to neverd have heard of a double denial.

does not mean[that] I don’t expcet = I do expect to get kitten.

ok I forgot the that but still you can get the point.

Blub.

Posted by: Batman.2078

Batman.2078

your reward for helping others is knowing that you’ve helped someone. if you want a reward for it then I think you might be doing it for the wrong reasons

Posted by: EnaiSiaion.8072

EnaiSiaion.8072

Remember when there were no heal assists in League of Legends? No one EVER played a healer.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Guardians always get the shaft, especially in WvW, where our buffs are really helpful but we get zero honor badges.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Granting boons, providing healing, setting up combo fields, and raising people should ALL be changed to add contribution.

Both to kill based things (loot drops, WvW badges), and to events (spending too much time helping the group do more damage and keep alive better can reduce your event reward down to silver or even bronze).

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Jonnyguitar.1684

Jonnyguitar.1684

So you want to selflessly help others but are upset you don’t get rewarded for it?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when people do things they want rewards.

If they really expect people to keep doing things simply for “fun” and no other reason, they’re going to lose alot of players.

Posted by: Mana.6154

Mana.6154

Batman, I think the point he’s making is that support doesn’t reward players. Atm, only DPS does, so most people will roll DPS in their self-interest.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

I help becaus I want and becaus I want.

I do help selflessy but selflessly does not mean I don’t expcet to at least get something

I am not helping poor ppl.

You are a banking director irl correct ?

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

thats odd, coz as a thief I help others by helping myself
When I smoke screen to stop projectiles, hitting me, it also helps people standing behind my smoke screen

When I shoot black powder shot into someone using a whirling attack, it causes aoe blind, it helps me and helps the team.

Ranger is one more the more selfish classes I guess

Posted by: Amnon.4769

Amnon.4769

I would also agree that, for Dynamic Events, each point healed and each point of damage soaked by a boon — should be consider as a point of damage done to a monster.

Posted by: derry.2789

derry.2789

At large events where those little thrash mobs will be dead in seconds that you keep missing out on because you’re supporting just dps instead. They’re normal mobs to die so fast, they wont be killing people if you stop supporting for a few seconds.
With the elites you’ll have time to support and do damage and so get credit.
Simples.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I agree with you OP, support should be rewarded.

And ANet is working on it. Trying to find the post now…

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

I feel the same when I play my Necro in WvW.
I do massive Condition transfers, AoE Cripples, Chills, Blindness.

None of it seems to really credit me.
The only time I get a lot of badges is when I get on an Arrow Cart and deal a lot of damage.
Otherwise I only get some here and there from killing stragglers or using Epidemic.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: Kerri Knight.3168

Kerri Knight.3168

Batman.2078

your reward for helping others is knowing that you’ve helped someone. if you want a reward for it then I think you might be doing it for the wrong reasons

Ah, so the DPSer gets both the intrinsic reward of enjoying that they contributed damage as well as the extrinsic reward of high honor/event medals and the support player is supposed to be happy with the intrinsic reward only.

Your reward for doing high damage is knowing that you dished out some major damage. If you want a reward for it then I think you might be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Kinda hard to escape the obvious double-standard, isn’t it?

Mana.6154

Batman, I think the point he’s making is that support doesn’t reward players. Atm, only DPS does, so most people will roll DPS in their self-interest.

Glad to see someone understands the basics of behavioral conditioning. Pavlov thanks you :9.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when people do things they want rewards.

Ah, you must be of the new generation who constantly wants rewarding and doesn’t do things just for the fun of them.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Ranger a selfish class? I can put down a frost combo field, two fire combo fields, the longest lasting water combo field (one of only three in the game – and the healing from a leap or blast combo finisher in that field is incredible) five different supportive spirits (including an elite which in my experience can turn the tide in a fight more than most other skills in the game) and an AoE swiftness, might and fury skill. On top of all that I can bring pets which give AoE regeneration, might, protection, swiftness and a bunch of other boons, most on easily manageable cool downs. I don’t see how you can claim rangers are a selfish profession.

Pick apart the OPs wording of his post all you want, the topic (and point he was trying to get across) is that support in this game is not counted towards experience and loot distribution. Loot is based on direct damage, anyone who doesn’t do lots of damage to lots of mobs will not get loot. You can spend equal time and effort contributing to a fight (buffing allies, putting down combo fields, bringing support oriented builds) but none of that will count towards loot and experience distribution because the game doesn’t even factor those things in when allocating loot drops, the players that do the most damage to the most mobs will get the most loot.

It’s one of those things, that when you don’t know about it you don’t really notice it, but the moment you play an AoE direct damage dealer and play through the exact same event as a supportive or single target DPS build and compare the massive disparity in loot drops, you very quickly begin to realise how unfair and unbalanced the loot distribution in this game is. It’s also the point most players stop supporting groups and start either solo playing or competing with other players for the person who can do the most direct damage AoE to mobs.

It’s not just a problem with support not getting credit for events, it’s a core problem with how the loot distribution system in the game is set up. Treating everyone who contributed in the event as though they are in the party and allocating drops on a rotation system provided they meeting a minimum level of contribution would be much more fair than this. The current system is fine for grinding mobs outside of events, where players are usually able to easily tag a mob and contribute enough to get some kind of loot, but during group content the loot system breaks and creates competition not co-operation.

LaronX.8079

Shiren nailed pretty much what I wanted to say. Should improve my english skills :P

But what ever. Whould the guys that think supporting is only for the warm feeling you get tell me did you ever play support anywhere? Did you ever give the help that you get for free back? Or do you play the heartseeker spamming thiefe build that does not even think what else could be done the dmg?

GW2 is a MMORPG based on co-operation if only one side gets a benefit … well in nature you call this guys vermin.

Blub.

Posted by: Kerri Knight.3168

Kerri Knight.3168

Ah, you must be of the new generation who constantly wants rewarding and doesn’t do things just for the fun of them.

So you’d be fine with those who focus purely on personal damage output and their own performance only get their rewards reduced to the same point that people who focus on support do?

Because they should just be doing it for the fun of it and not need constant rewarding, right?

Just another example of someone arguing that “the intrinsic reward is all that should matter” to distract from the fact that they benefit from extrinsic rewards being tilted in their favor.

(edited by Kerri Knight.3168)

LaronX.8079

Well said Kerri

Also Stark do you have a post or something? I could not find any post with any statment about it.

Blub.