Guild Wars 2: It's alive!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Maru.6157

Maru.6157

I think the game is dying…..where 2 weeks ago on Sunday night we had 42 ppl in game playing tonight we had 11. I had a good month but until they add a dungeon finder or something like that my time will be limited.

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

I think the game is dying…..where 2 weeks ago on Sunday night we had 42 ppl in game playing tonight we had 11. I had a good month but until they add a dungeon finder or something like that my time will be limited.

It is slowly dying due to the lack of content once you’ve hit 80. WvW queue times are not a good reason to assume the game is thriving, as such a small amount of people are allowed into each WvW map anyway. Ah well, enjoy the game whilst you can!

actually what’s currently happening is perfectly natural. it’s called life and eventually it does come knocking on your door to drag you away.

Besides there is always a population dip after a MMO launch because people find they don’t like the game or they have to return to their normal routine of work and thus have less time to play.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

This part of the community is a lost cause.
They still keep comparing GW2 to traditional MMOs, showing they understood nothing of the game.

GW1 went strong for 7 years with no issues and it had a lot less people than GW2.
GW2 will go strong for several years too, no reason not to: they’ll be making millions out of expansions.
Then they’ll release GW3 which will go strong for several years as well.

Like it or not, millions love the franchise and will keep playing it regardless of all the negativity some kids make on the forums.

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

You could say that about any game. My point is I know alot of people (me included) who have stopped playing the game completely simply because there’s nothing to do.

There should be enough content in a game to have you happily logging in every so often to play for a while up until they decide to release some addition content.

and did you bumrush the content?

Posted by: Maverick.6485

Maverick.6485

Seriously, no one plays GW2 anymore. The servers are way too crowded, and don’t get me started on the WvW queues.

No one plays gw2 anymore.. Because the servers are too crowded…

No one plays gw2 anymore because the queues of people trying to play WvWvW….

No one plays it because there are too many people… playing it..

…..k.

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

No I certainly did not! I played at my own pace with some friends and we got to level 80, explored every zone, sPVP a little bit until we realised it was boring and was a pain as you can’t play with friends (unless lucky enough to be on/swtich to the correct team) and has balancing issues. WvW is terrible as queue times are outrageously long. All in all it leaves us with nothing left to do. We didn’t bother making alts like some people have as just wouldn’t want to go through the same old content again.

ah ok. Understandable. you and your friends are smarter than most then. I didn’t bumrush the content either as after SWTOR, I realized that I was shooting myself in the foot by doing that. There is no point to bumrush to max level – especially a game you want to play long term. Server firsts – someone on energy drinks is just going to kick your kitten there. Very rarely will it be you. There’s very little reason to rush to max level. Afraid not much I can say then to help.

Posted by: robot.9134

robot.9134

It is slowly dying due to the lack of content once you’ve hit 80. WvW queue times are not a good reason to assume the game is thriving, as such a small amount of people are allowed into each WvW map anyway. Ah well, enjoy the game whilst you can!

actually what’s currently happening is perfectly natural. it’s called life and eventually it does come knocking on your door to drag you away.

Besides there is always a population dip after a MMO launch because people find they don’t like the game or they have to return to their normal routine of work and thus have less time to play.

Actually…whats happening right now is denial…

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

This part of the community is a lost cause.
They still keep comparing GW2 to traditional MMOs, showing they understood nothing of the game.

GW1 went strong for 7 years with no issues and it had a lot less people than GW2.
GW2 will go strong for several years too, no reason not to: they’ll be making millions out of expansions.
Then they’ll release GW3 which will go strong for several years as well.

Like it or not, millions love the franchise and will keep playing it regardless of all the negativity some kids make on the forums.

Rift. SWTOR. TERA. GW2. I’ve seen different names but the same tired arguments, insults, and predictions in the forums of all of these games. Many of them are probably the same people using different names. I’m sure the same thing has been going on for years in every General Discussion forum of every MMO that has one, and likely something similar in the GDs of other games as well. Chess is dead! Everyone’s playing checkers now, no one bothers with chess any more…

Keep trying, you might even get it right one of these days.

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

You can choose what you want to believe. It isn’t denial but rational thought especially in this time of year. They launched literally the week before, on or after school starts in the U.S.A. What did you expect? The primarily market to ignore school for longer than a month?

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

So nobody should compare this game to other games? Then why compare GW2 to GW1? They are more different than GW2 compared to WoW. I played all of GW1 as a single player game so population mattered little to me. GW2 also requires a LOT more money to run than GW1 ever did.

robot.9134

You can choose what you want to believe. It isn’t denial but rational thought especially in this time of year. They launched literally the week before, on or after school starts in the U.S.A. What did you expect? The primarily market to ignore school for longer than a month?

The time of year has nothing to do with the guilds and players shelving the game because of various issues. Its becoming a far larger issue than just normal population drop.

Also…where do you work where you have a month to take off for games before your job “goes back to normal”.

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

The time of year has nothing to do with the guilds and players shelving the game because of various issues. Its becoming a far larger issue than just normal population drop.

Also…where do you work where you have a month to take off for games before your job “goes back to normal”.

sighes In the case of schooling. People tend to put your schoolwork for example in order to play more video games. About a month into the semester – your O kitten alarm goes off and you attempt to compensate for your month of slacking. Which means… reduced playing time. As guild wars 2 has gone from < School work.

Example.

robot.9134

sighes In the case of schooling. People tend to put your schoolwork for example in order to play more video games. About a month into the semester – your O kitten alarm goes off and you attempt to compensate for your month of slacking. Which means… reduced playing time. As guild wars 2 has gone from < School work.

Example.

True but most of guild wars 2 customers are out of school. I don’t think this applies to the whole customer base.

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

True but most of guild wars 2 customers are out of school. I don’t think this applies to the whole customer base.

I highly doubt most are. I would think most are in college which is far harsher environment for failure. I would peg the average age around 16-24 or so. But at this point, both our arguments are making assumptions with no basis for facts to back it up.

robot.9134

I highly doubt most are. I would think most are in college which is far harsher environment for failure. I would peg the average age around 16-24 or so. But at this point, both our arguments are making assumptions with no basis for facts to back it up.

YOUR arguments are making assumptions.

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

and yours aren’t? Most of the GW2 are people who are out of school?

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Yep, Guild Wars 2 is as dead as that old EverQuest game.

Oh…wait…

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

robot

Why would you say this directly after making an assumption as to the reasons for the alleged low player population?

Seriously, I laughed so hard when I read that quote block I nearly fell off my chair.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

DusK.3849

Oh Dusk please just give it a rest, you comment in pretty much every post. If anyone’s a troll, it’s you!

Look, everyone, this pot’s trying to call the kettle black. How adorable.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Chip H.3951

Chip H.3951

So it appears that the dichotomy of MMO success is WoW/Dead with nothing in between. And when someone says a game is dying or dead, it means “I don’t play it anymore so it doesn’t matter to me.”

Pretty much this. So many forum denizens can’t seem to escape the sort of popularity wars that fueled cliques and drama in high school. If a game isn’t the game, well, it’s dead, it’s terrible, and I can’t believe that any of you are dumb enough to say anything nice about it, blah blah blah. Whether a game is profitable for the developers, whether it has a stable population who likes it, all irrelevant, it’s not the cool kid everyone wants to be around so lets just leave a steamer in its locker.

I wonder if all the GW1 vets who hate GW2 and seem particularly vehement in their pronouncements of a swift demise realize that GW1 is generally held to be a terribad, awful game that only a special needs rhesus monkey would play based on every general gaming forum I’ve been on over the years.

Numerically speaking, every single game out there is either outright disliked or ignored by the vast majority of gamers, even mega successes like WoW. Devs just have to do a good enough job to keep their jobs, and everything I’ve seen says ArenaNet has done just fine with yet another terribad, awful game that only special needs rhesus monkeys can possibly like

I know this SNRM has been loving the heck out of my daily gaming sessions for every single day since the headstart without any plans of stopping.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Couple things:

Games had a bigger launch than player number. Most won’t retain players.
It launched right next to school.
It launched right next to MoP.
It didn’t launch in winter months.
Borderlands 2/Torchlight 2 released.

It lost players I bet, but it doesn’t really matter in the end.

Posted by: Lance Coolee.9480

Lance Coolee.9480

How is this thread not closed in its current state?

If you like the game enough to want to affect positive change, then make your claims / suggestions.

Lack of objectivity from both fanboys and doomsayers really have no place here.

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Its funny. Just about every MMO you go to has people claiming that its dying. Maybe everyone is deciding to get of their computers and go outside for a bit.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Couple things:

Games had a bigger launch than player number. Most won’t retain players.
It launched right next to school.
It launched right next to MoP.
It didn’t launch in winter months.
Borderlands 2/Torchlight 2 released.

It lost players I bet, but it doesn’t really matter in the end.

^^ THIS

Short term we will see player losses. Long term, I expect the game to steadily grow. I predicted a 2 month dip, slight rise in October, slight decline in December, and steady growth throughout spring and summer.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

The entire Arah event chain and dungeon entrance are broken on the Tarnished Coast server.

Even so, the zone is packed with people anyway.

I don’t think there’s any “dying” going on.

DusK.3849

10:54 PM on a Sunday.

Attachments:

tolunart.2095

Numerically speaking, every single game out there is either outright disliked or ignored by the vast majority of gamers, even mega successes like WoW. Devs just have to do a good enough job to keep their jobs, and everything I’ve seen says ArenaNet has done just fine with yet another terribad, awful game that only special needs rhesus monkeys can possibly like

True… WoW players are looked down upon by… well, pretty much anyone who isn’t a WoW player. They’re like, “why pay $15 a month to pretend you’re an ogre or an elf or something?” It’s something that normal people just don’t get…

So they return the favor by looking down on everyone who isn’t a WoW player…

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Its funny. Just about every MMO you go to has people claiming that its dying. Maybe everyone is deciding to get of their computers and go outside for a bit.

I remember reading a EQ dev that worked on it since Velious I think. He responded with the dying threads as:

They have been saying that our game has been dying since Kunark back in 1998 and that it would be the last expansion released and we would shut down servers. Well it is 2012 and were still working on expansions.

Lance Coolee.9480

LA overflow and W3 queues don’t even come close to exemplifying population health.

robot.9134

LA overflow and W3 queues don’t even come close to exemplifying population health.

Dusk knows more than you. This game is very alive and has 0 issues.

Posted by: swagjuice.9270

swagjuice.9270

You could say that about any game. My point is I know alot of people (me included) who have stopped playing the game completely simply because there’s nothing to do.

There should be enough content in a game to have you happily logging in every so often to play for a while up until they decide to release some addition content.

You plus alot of people that you know means the game is dying? Very nice.

robot.9134

There are AT LEAST 6 others that i know about personally.

tolunart.2095

Reminds me of the guy who smokes like a chimney, drinks a six pack every day, and eats a pound of red meat at every meal… and has outlived three doctors who all told him he was going to kill himself doing that.

Posted by: slazzy.7309

slazzy.7309

Maybe we are coming at it from the wrong angle. Its not that the game is dying because there is nothing to do at endgame. The game is single player, with multiplayer features. Its been suggested before. So, when you reach endgame, its truly the end of the game until they add more content. If you look at it from that angle, its really no different than D3. I honestly don’t say this to be a troll, it just helps my perspective when I view it this way. I viewed SWOTR this way and had a lot of fun the first month playing it as KOTOR 3.

In that context, its not dying. It’s just like battle.net. I have to login to play it. I can jump into anyone’s game or they can jump into mine as long as you allow it “invite.” You can team up for pvp if you want, or play through the story again as another profession. Just like D3. Which is single player, with multiplayer features.

I’m beginning to no longer see a distinction, which is a good thing.

Reclassify the game as single player and you have yourself a gem of a title. Call it an MMO and it doesn’t stand the test of time. It’s all about perspective.

DusK.3849

Don’t get all hissy just because I keep bringing evidence to the table to support my claim whereas you have literally nothing other than speculation.

Lance Coolee.9480

Don’t get all hissy just because I keep bringing evidence to the table to support my claim whereas you have literally nothing other than speculation.

A snapshot of an in game map does not constitute valid evidence. It holds just as much factual weight as the xfire posts ur so quick to discredit.

DusK.3849

A snapshot of an in game map does not constitute valid evidence. It holds just as much factual weight as the xfire posts ur so quick to discredit.

A snapshot of a game that shows a mechanic in-place that only occurs when the population of a map is over what would normally be expected doesn’t hold any factual weight. Right.

robot.9134

Everybody needs to stop getting hissy.

Lance Coolee.9480

A snapshot of a game that shows a mechanic in-place that only occurs when the population of a map is over what would normally be expected doesn’t hold any factual weight. Right.

A snapshot that is guaranteed to lean heavily in favor of the point ur trying to prove. LA will almost always be highly populated.

Show me an Orr overflow or even a starting zone overflow; even then it’s questionable until you can explain what the numerical significance of an overflow server is.

Again, those “facts” are about as useless as every other point you’ve made.

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

Where did my Monty Python post go?

grrrrr…

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

robot.9134

i am getting a bit hissy….far more hissy than id like to admit.

It gets frustrating when someone of your caliber brings all of these undeniable facts to the table. I cant compete. Hence…the hissyness.

DusK.3849

A snapshot that is guaranteed to lean heavily in favor of the point ur trying to prove.

Oh no, God forbid a viewpoint other than yours be proven right.

i am getting a bit hissy….far more hissy than id like to admit.

It gets frustrating when someone of your caliber brings all of these undeniable facts to the table. I cant compete. Hence…the hissyness.

Sorry, can you please skip to the part where you were going to say something relevant? Maybe bring something to the table that proves your point?

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

7 People think the game is dieing, time to jump ship.

robot.9134

Sorry, can you please skip to the part where you were going to say something relevant? Maybe bring something to the table that proves your point?

My point? This thread has no point. I’m surprised they haven’t closed it yet.

Why don’t YOU tell us YOUR point.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Dear Arena Net, why are you leaving these troll threads open?
I’m paying you for making awesome games not babysitting internet kids.
Drop the biberons and code some awesome! J/k

Seriously tho, this thread is 100% disruptive and is continuing to contain major trolling even after we proved the servers are blowing up with people.

I think it’s time to use the Infraction Toolkit from your belt, and perhaps some Ban Grenades.

DusK.3849

7 People think the game is dieing, time to jump ship.

I like how 7 people leaving the game proves it’s dead, but overflows being common occurrence doesn’t prove anything at all.

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

I think the biggest issues with this game, gameplay wise are the combat and social systems. The combat is very shallow and lacks a semblance of team strategy. The skills were designed for a zergfest combat system, heaping on DPS and homogenous effects. It’s just not mentally stimulating to people when there’s no healer paradigm to deepen the mechanics like in GW1. Guardian just doesn’t cut it. In all honesty, it feels like the most kittened and premature class in the game. Also, because of the way the content is designed, there is really no longevity in it. Making the game into a “living, breathing world” is a fantastic concept. It’s great on paper, but it doesn’t work well in a game scenario. People are going to get bored of these recycled events and zerg combat when there’s little need to group and strategize with other players. The skill points, the vistas, all that is just designed like an a la carte menu. There’s no reason for people to care about these maps after they’ve been plodded all over. I think these two issues are the major disconnect for players, especially players from GW1. I think two things that would benefit this game are instanced map stories that span throughout the entire area and call for lots of team synchronization. They could have made the world story more cohesive this way rather than spending all that time on personal stories. This game just feels like an amalgamation of shortsighted concepts. Also, this game definitely needs to bring back the robust skill system LIKE GW1 had. The game just feels shallow and hollow to me in its’ current state and i think if they dont make some fundamental changes to try and get that hook back that they had in GW1, this game is just going to keep on heaping soulless and weak content that further marginalizes what made the franchise so good. Mentally engaging, tactical combat in which group play mattered on a personal level, not this “alone together” zergfest trash.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

(edited by lothefallen.7081)

Lance Coolee.9480

A snapshot that is guaranteed to lean heavily in favor of the point ur trying to prove.

Oh no, God forbid a viewpoint other than yours be proven right.

I never made any claim, I know better than to assume conclusions based on invalid facts

Ok, so LA (likely the most populated zone in Tyria) experienced overlow and you immediately draw the conclusion that the population was healthy? Really?

1. LA is probably the most susceptable to experience overlow
2. LA has almost zero gameplay (except for crafting and a few jumping puzzles). It’s where players go to hang out, not to play the game.

It’s like saying the game is healthy because it has a very lively forum population.

Irrelevant facts are irrelevant.

Lance Coolee.9480

^ Myself and 8 players also stopped playing (one hadn’t even hit 80 – had many troubles finding other players in mid-level zones to play with)

I stopped playing cuz I want to have a fresh experience after they fix all the issues; I’d really rather not play the game in its current state.

Posted by: swagjuice.9270

swagjuice.9270

why is this thread still open?