So, the gem buyers cash goes where?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Into removing content. Removing bundles. Slashing the story. Crippling the old, favourite hearts, destroying any kind of soul they used to have. Introducing gating, because of course, when you stumble upon something later, you’ll learn it faster. Obvious.

I bought more gems than I care to admit. A LOT. For me and my girl. Not buying a single one, ever, if the destroyed, crippled, simplified to the point of grief portions of content are not restored to their previous state.

I was paying for making the game worse. Cute.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

cool

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

To be absolutely fair here, every change that is made to the game (whether you approve of it or not) needs to be done by the developers. Every single little thing makes time and effort, and that takes money.

So, when you’re buying gems, you’re not putting money into some soulless computer. You’re putting money in the pockets of all the developers and technicians it takes to keep the servers running, keep fixing bugs, keep filing support tickets, keep making all the changes to the coding…

Sensationalism is one thing, but keep in mind that every cent you complain about spending is going to put food into peoples’ stomachs and a roof over their head. Even if no changes were made, you’d still be paying the people who just keep the day-to-day running. So, watch what you say when you complain like this, because the implications are often deeper than you realize.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Asmodeus.5782

Well, I’ve realized they received more than enough of my money. If the changes keep going this way, the thing may as well burn and crash, together with the company, I so do not care.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

I think the more obvious problem is that there were significant bugs staggering gameplay, but instead they focused on ‘fixing’ the things that no one had a problem with

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Well, I’ve realized they received more than enough of my money. If the changes keep going this way, the thing may as well burn and crash, together with the company, I so do not care.

Again, though you might not personally care for the changes, I feel some of the things you’re saying are a bit on the extreme side of the spectrum.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Actually, Anet is using the gem money to build a secret volcano base.

Asmodeus.5782

You know, Shadow, when after about 20 years of gaming and 6 of working in the gaming industry you finally find such a pearl of MMORPGs that it replaces Ultima Online for you and see it being ripped apart by some nonsensical corporate decisions, you’re bound to get vexed.

William S. Burroughs

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

You know, Shadow, when after about 20 years of gaming and 6 of working in the gaming industry you finally find such a pearl of MMORPGs that it replaces Ultima Online for you and see it being ripped apart by some nonsensical corporate decisions, you’re bound to get vexed.

So, with your 6 years of experience in the field, how would you feel if someone said this about one of your projects? That they wished it would crash and burn along with the rest of your company, you included?

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Asmodeus.5782

I’d probably get sad and try never to screw up things that badly again.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

You obviously care.. enough to make this thread full of tears

Question : How much did you spend on gems? Is that amount greater or equal to the amount of fun you have had in this game?

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

You will be replaced by the slow, steady and weak stream of new players who never experienced the original setup but will purchase outfits, armor styles, hair kits and the ever popular gambling mode of Black Lion Keys.

Truth.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Into removing content. Removing bundles. Slashing the story. Crippling the old, favourite hearts, destroying any kind of soul they used to have. Introducing gating, because of course, when you stumble upon something later, you’ll learn it faster. Obvious.

I bought more gems than I care to admit. A LOT. For me and my girl. Not buying a single one, ever, if the destroyed, crippled, simplified to the point of grief portions of content are not restored to their previous state.

I was paying for making the game worse. Cute.

To be hones, GW2 was kittened up right from the beginning…

The thing is once you are lvl 80 you realise how bad the game is until max lvl its “ok” compared to GW1 where the game starts with max lvl GW2 ends with max lvl.

And since there is nothing to do besides grinding gold to convert it into gems to buy skins which is NOT ENDGAME seriously creating super fanzy fashion is not an endgame for an rpg mmo whatever.

And if you say try pvp wvw etc.

PVP unbalanced
WVW zerging WOOOW
other pve content is VERY EASY and ye sorry for not doing dungeon XY 360 times a year….

Happyface

Asmodeus.5782

A bit of a misinterpretation there, Narko, I do not care if they crash, so I can easily shout out to people to stop buying gems. Work on your ‘lawyering’ skills.

All in all it was about 60k gems shared between two of us, I think. Maybe more. I projected the fun to last somewhat longer and not get smothered by the frustration of the megaserver and the NPE combined.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

I heard this too. Can a third confirm and comment on the features of the facility?

Yargesh.4965

I heard this too. Can a third confirm and comment on the features of the facility?

Absolutely. They have sharks with laser beams!

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

A bit of a misinterpretation there, I do not care if they crash, so I can easily shout out to people to stop buying gems. Work on your ‘lawyering’ skills.

All in all it was about 60k gems shared between two of us, I think. Maybe more. I projected the fun to last somewhat longer and not get smothered by the frustration of the megaserver and the NPE combined.

That sucks buddy. I do sympathize with you on feeling like you are putting money into the game to get a better tomorrow and feel every update skips on what you actually want. Keep in mind that anet has a wide player base all wishing for different things.

I hope they add your type of content into the game soon.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Didn’t you hear? The sharks were too expensive. They decided to go with piranhas instead.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Yargesh.4965

Didn’t you hear? The sharks were too expensive. They decided to go with piranhas instead.

Darn, always liked the shark with laser bit.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

A bit of a misinterpretation there, I do not care if they crash, so I can easily shout out to people to stop buying gems. Work on your ‘lawyering’ skills.

That sucks buddy. I do sympathize with you on feeling like you are putting money into the game to get a better tomorrow and feel every update skips on what you actually want. Keep in mind that anet has a wide player base all wishing for different things.

I hope they add your type of content into the game soon.

I have the problem with this kind of mentality, actually. “I like the game, but it could be better. I’m gonna shovel a ton of money into the game to support it, so they’re able to make better content!!”

Never, never pay money for a game because of how you want/expect it to turn out. Pay money for what the game is right now. If you liked the game enough to spend some money on it, great. But don’t shell out thousands of dollars just waiting for it to get better. Chances are good that it will never turn out how you wanted.

The method I use? I’ll pre-order a game if I have a feeling I’m really gonna like it and want to support the company (did it with Rift, GW2, ToR, and a few others). I’ll play the game for a while, and if I had a lot of fun, I’ll pitch in and buy some currency. Every time a patch launches with changes I really like, I’ll toss in a bit more money, usually the lowest tier of purchasable currency.

It’s cheaper than paying a monthly subscription MMO, the company is still getting money for their efforts, and I’m getting some goodies out of it. Plus, I’m not bankrupting myself on “what might have been”, so there’s nothing for me to get disappointed about down the line.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Asmodeus.5782

That volcano base thing would kind of explain the removal of the shark from the Metrica lake.

About the paying thing: you must admit it was kind of hard to expect they are going to cut the existing content… Adding things I wouldn’t like? No problem, I’d avoid them. Destroying the bunny heart in Wayfarer’s by slashing the bunnies’ AI? Forcing people to dance for cows? Too much, man, too much, too much.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Introducing gating, because of course, when you stumble upon something later, you’ll learn it faster. Obvious.

I’m sure you meant this sarcastically, but yes, people have a finite bandwidth for learning something new, and pacing the introduction of those new things does facilitate learning. You don’t stick a calculus book in front of a 5 year old, and while this is nowhere near as extreme the same principle applies.

Yes, the flavor of those early hearts has suffered a bit. Yes, MMO veterans playing the game for the first time are going to grasp bundles without any trouble.

Players new to MMOs though – people whose gaming experience to this point had been Facebook games or the Sims? Children whose parents are supportive but didn’t play games themselves to guide them through? Throwing bundles at those players while they are still figuring out WASD movement is, in fact, too much too fast, and it’s not actually important to introduce them so early. They will, in fact, learn it faster when it is introduced later.

Which is why the change was made, despite the damage it did to the flavor of those early hearts.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…..
Never, never pay money for a game because of how you want/expect it to turn out. Pay money for what the game is right now. If you liked the game enough to spend some money on it, great. But don’t shell out thousands of dollars just waiting for it to get better. Chances are good that it will never turn out how you wanted……..

….and EXPECTING it to turn out like you wanted is simply delusional….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Supreme.4051

Supreme.4051

Posted by: MVP.7961

MVP.7961

GW2 is unique and Anet is slowly killing their own creation uniqueness by making it like every other MMO in the market. Pity this gem wont last long because of all these unnecessary changes sigh

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Supposedly, it went to fund Wildstar. lol. That game bombed so hard too. NCSoft should’ve just invested in GW2.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

The money GW2 makes, gem store, retail sales, digital sales, etc.

They all go to NCsoft, which then use it with every other profit, on what they want, not necessarily on GW2…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

@nexxe: I didn’t hear that it bombed. I actually know a ton of people that left other MMO’s for Wildstar and are still playing it.

I really liked it myself, I just hate the monthly subscription model, so I’ve been avoiding it. It was great while I got to play it in beta, though.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

no, they’re having whoever they can afford at the time build it for them

epic link, i’ll explain what it is.. this bottomless pit or “collapse” if you will is where gw2 was going to be but supposedly someone from ncsoft didn’t like it, so arena net worked tirelessly to make the game we all know and love today and we should or shouldn’t thank them for it

Anet is slowly killing their own creation by making it like every other MMO in the market. farmville variant

fixed that for you

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

That volcano base thing would kind of explain the removal of the shark from the Metrica lake.

About the paying thing: you must admit it was kind of hard to expect they are going to cut the existing content… Adding things I wouldn’t like? No problem, I’d avoid them. Destroying the bunny heart in Wayfarer’s by slashing the bunnies’ AI? Forcing people to dance for cows? Too much, man, too much, too much.

The bunny AI was the same as always when I played it shortly after the patch hit. Sure, there are fewer bunnies, but they do the same thing as always.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

To be absolutely fair here, every change that is made to the game (whether you approve of it or not) needs to be done by the developers. Every single little thing makes time and effort, and that takes money.

So, when you’re buying gems, you’re not putting money into some soulless computer. You’re putting money in the pockets of all the developers and technicians it takes to keep the servers running, keep fixing bugs, keep filing support tickets, keep making all the changes to the coding…

Sensationalism is one thing, but keep in mind that every cent you complain about spending is going to put food into peoples’ stomachs and a roof over their head. Even if no changes were made, you’d still be paying the people who just keep the day-to-day running. So, watch what you say when you complain like this, because the implications are often deeper than you realize.

Here in the USA, we mostly operate on a free market economy model.

Asmodeus.5782

Guhracie, well, maybe it was just about the numbers… The fact is I haven’t been attacked by a single bunny through the duration of the whole heart. That was the moment when I snapped. The Angry Joe’s review of this game is now partially false advertisement. He praised this particular heart to heavens. Now it’s pure, uncut boredom.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Translation of the OP:

“I am unhappy with recent changes to, and the current direction of, the game and shall refrain from spending money on it until such a time as the game justifies my doing so.”

My response:

Excellent. A discerning and responsible consumer. Kudos.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

To answer your question: For the China release and for the giant champagne filled jaccuzzi in the central of Anet.