So tired of being outbid by 1 copper

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: party buddy.4956

party buddy.4956

I may have posted about this in the past, but I am sure its been over a year.
But doesn’t it seem like a good idea to have a disincentive to the copper bidding wars. I am sure you’ve been there just like I have where you place a bid, and 2 seconds later someone out bids you by 1 copper. so you bid 1 copper, then they bid 1 copper, and whomever is on top when someone decides to sell wins. This drives me nuts
I propose something to promote people who are bidding on an item to actually be willing to increase their bid by a relatively substantial amount. Something that makes them think first if they really want to increase their bid.

formatting is terrible in this forum, so I added an image.

Attachments:

this forums’ functionality is horrible…

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

Most items are sold/bought often enough that you shouldnt worry too much about this. I have found that if i want something immediately, i just buy it for the buy order price. if i can wait, ill post some random price between highest sell and lowest buy. I’ll eventually get it that way.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Short answer: Nope. Please do not make people outbid you with even more gold.

Humans are stupid. There will always be people who have this grabby reflex when they want something that makes them do anything to get the desired object a little faster. Likewise, they will do the not-smart thing (a.k.a. undercutting) to sell the stuff they don’t want.

There are already cases when I see the first offer for a weapon is, say 30g, but the one before is only 25g. Somebody already thought it was a good idea to up the price by 5g instead of a single copper. Good for a seller, not so good for everyone else. If you raised the cap for the amount of gold you need to add to the highest offer, that wouldn’t stop this behaviour, only make it more costly for everybody. Same thing for sell prices. People already put their iron on the tp for 1s20c when the lowest sell price before was 1s50c. Greed paired with the apparent inability to think for a second before acting will make sure this will always happen, whether or not there are “rules” for this behaviour.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Does it really matter if someone outbids you by 1 copper, 1 silver, or 1 gold? I believe the real frustration isn’t the amount but the fact that you are outbid in general. Which sucks but is no reason to change the market.

If you want instant gratification then buy something that is on sale.
If you’re trying to save money by ordering instead — then you run the risk of being outbid. People are free to do so just as much as you are when you make a bid.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

party buddy.4956

its less about instant gratification, then having to bid your way up 1 copper at a time until the sale occurs. I think if on a 1 gold item, bids went up incrementally by 1 silver, reaching that happy medium underneath the lowest sale price would occur faster. There is only so far a bid can go up before it reaches the lowest current listing of that item. I think it would be good for the economy to push people to bid closer to that value. My proposal wouldn’t change anything for the high turnover items, this is more about items that take weeks to sell/buy

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The correct answer is, don’t sit there micromanaging your orders. When I put in a buy order, I leave it and check it the next time I log in the next day. Usually it’s sold to me by then. If not, and it’s something I need soon, I rebid it. Otherwise I leave it another day.

If it’s something I want now I buy it outright, but most things can easily be left for a day or two. There is really no reason to be micromanaging most things besides impatience. Market fluctuations will get you the item within a day or two if you’ve priced it right.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

its less about instant gratification, then having to bid your way up 1 copper at a time until the sale occurs.

Why do you play the “make my bid 1c higher” game? You’re just helping to make the cost higher when you do that, and you’re also wasting your time. If you really want your item(s) right now, then buy at the Lowest Seller price and be done with it. Otherwise, yes, you will likely be outbid. If you don’t need it right now, then just post a bid, and wait.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If you make a substantially higher bid, you are less likely to be outbid too soon.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

its less about instant gratification, then having to bid your way up 1 copper at a time until the sale occurs. I think if on a 1 gold item, bids went up incrementally by 1 silver, reaching that happy medium underneath the lowest sale price would occur faster. There is only so far a bid can go up before it reaches the lowest current listing of that item. I think it would be good for the economy to push people to bid closer to that value. My proposal wouldn’t change anything for the high turnover items, this is more about items that take weeks to sell/buy

Please don’t assume things about the economy. -_-

There are several items that aren’t worth a full silver, and the increment of silver to copper is a factor of 100. That would blunt the fluctuations in the small-item market, just so you could feel better about not placing a proper bid in the first place on larger-cost items. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I would like a change like this, yes.

The problem is not the ability to outbid with the way the system works now it is absolutely trivial to outbid someone. A single copper to move up in line? Who won’t do that?

If it were more costly to overbid someone, if you actually had to commit to a slightly higher price in order to do it, then more people might think twice about outbidding and instead just place their order at the same price as the current highest bid, settling for “second place” instead of paying more money.

But at 1c per bid increase there’s no reason to do that besides being nice.

Rauderi.8706

But at 1c per bid increase there’s no reason to do that besides being nice.

It also frustrates the bots and would-be barons who do some of the 1c bidding.

And if the OP is talking big ticket items, 1c isn’t much different from 1s except to determine bid order. And I’d still rather have a robust trading post than an auction house with set bid jumps set by the player/owner.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

party buddy.4956

If you make a substantially higher bid, you are less likely to be outbid too soon.

I agree, I think this higher bid should be forced.

And for the record I do bid more than 1 copper on items that I want right away., just to comeback 10 min later to see someone, supposedly without looking at the previous bids, has bid 1c more than me. You will see patterns like this 10.1 10.2 10.3 12.0 12.1. 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 – I would rather see patterns like 10, 11, 12, 15 where the lowest priced item is at 20

Rauderi.8706

Snark aside, I’ve seen posts from other players that run into automated bidders and the like.

p.buddy, can you give a little more detail on your situation? The kinds of items and the values you’re looking at might give us some clues. I suspect it’s just normal market behavior, at which point, the gap will close toward equilibrium, or you’ll have to be a bit more patient.

If not, try putting your bid to within 30% or 15% so of the lowest sell value. Botters and fast flippers aren’t likely to place bids in that range due to the lack of potential profit after the buy order finishes.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

“I’m sure it’s been a year” – there was one last month, the month before, etc. Even had it in-game a few weeks back. Search doesn’t work right here though (and never has according to some).

The problem with creating a minimum bid index is there will be people who under/overbid by just that amount. The only thing is it will be larger shifts in currency like the new gem exchange.

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

there is nothing more that i hate that being undercut by 10s on a ~70s item , instaed of undercutting me by 1c and keep the price high some “special” ppl undercut me by 10s and pushing the price into oblivion where its not profitabel anymore (i´m looking at you beaded weapons)

the thing is , its not like they will sell it faster because its 10s cheaper instaead of 1c, if someone need it , they will buy it, no matter the price

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You must learn patience Ed Gruberman.

How long will that take?

Depending on how popular an item is, it may take minutes to hours for your order to be filled, even with those out bidding you. But in bids for things you would like to have tomorrow or the day after, otherwise if you need it right this instance, then buy it directly at a notable markup.

Now if the item is high demand but extremely low supply, they sorry, the only solution I know is to close the gap with the low sell significantly enough that other bidders will “let you get it for that price”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Brokenangel.1389

Brokenangel.1389

I may have posted about this in the past, but I am sure its been over a year.
But doesn’t it seem like a good idea to have a disincentive to the copper bidding wars. I am sure you’ve been there just like I have where you place a bid, and 2 seconds later someone out bids you by 1 copper. so you bid 1 copper, then they bid 1 copper, and whomever is on top when someone decides to sell wins. This drives me nuts
I propose something to promote people who are bidding on an item to actually be willing to increase their bid by a relatively substantial amount. Something that makes them think first if they really want to increase their bid.

formatting is terrible in this forum, so I added an image.

Answer: Bid 2 Copper.

This is a terrible idea. Just like any other system of bidding, if you’re trying to bid cheap, expect to get out bid.

End of conversation.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Thats not going to stop people from outbidding you by the minimum amount possible. It will just artificially inflate buy order figures.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

You must learn patience Ed Gruberman.

How long will that take?

Boot to the head.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Place a significantly higher bid/lower offer. Here, I fixed it!

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

When you buy something, you can always retrieve the full amount of your money, unlike selling, so you should keep update your price if you really want the item that bad.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

This comes up from time to time. I don’t really understand why any bid for an item should be protected by anything more than the lowest currency denomination.

If you believe that a copper is essentially worthless then you should argue to get rid of copper and only have silver and gold.

If you don’t believe that copper is worthless then a 1 copper higher bid is an incrementally higher bid.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

there is nothing more that i hate that being undercut by 10s on a ~70s item , instaed of undercutting me by 1c and keep the price high some “special” ppl undercut me by 10s and pushing the price into oblivion where its not profitabel anymore (i´m looking at you beaded weapons)

the thing is , its not like they will sell it faster because its 10s cheaper instaead of 1c, if someone need it , they will buy it, no matter the price

This isn’t the main problem though. What happens is there will be an item that people can make a nice profit buying and selling a few at a time, then some fool tries to ruin it for everyone by trying to monopolise it buying 100 or more, so people feel their buy order will never be filled and keep upping their bids. Selfish people ruin the whole thing when it could be a good profit for all. Rather than stopping a 1c increase it would be better to stop people buying more than a certain amount of things if they aren’t consumable or crafting maybe?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

If someone over or under bids you by 1c, then your offer was too low/high by at least 1c.

Relist your bid at a more appropriate price.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can only be outbid if you are, yourself, already outbidding someone else. If you sell to the highest offer (or buy from the lowest), you cannot be outbid.

When I want my price to be successful, I increment my order by a noticeable amount over the previous. When I’m being frugal, I match +/- a few copper. (And when I’m greedy, I study the item’s history and trends and price accordingly.)

And I accept the risk that others are thinking the same way and will outbid/underbid me by coppers. If you don’t want that risk, accept the existing offers.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”