So we Ran out of leather...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19737-cured-hardened-leather-square

We seem to have run out of leather… I don’t know what it is being used for, but we are out of it. The problem is that there is no real way to collect the stuff, and I guess demand has outstripped supply for a while now.

Maybe acquisition of this can be looked at?

Posted by: Behmoth.9018

Behmoth.9018

Can’t understand why leather can not be farmed from Boar deer ect and give us an iron skinning knife ect

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

This is not wow is why. Shared nodes wouldn’t be consistent with 200 people skinning the same dead corpse.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

It was bound to happen with the addition of leather to crafting all weight classes of ascended armor. Anet simply never thinks ahead.

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

It was bound to happen with the addition of leather to crafting all weight classes of ascended armor. Anet simply never thinks ahead.

Actually i think this was their intention. They mentioned once about creating a sink for materials

Dinks.2478

Actually i think this was their intention. They mentioned once about creating a sink for materials

Adding a massive sink without an actual way to obtain materials is in fact what I was talking about, its short-sighted.

They said they wanted to deflate the economy, but they’ve actually accomplished was deflating the income while inflating cost.

Posted by: blueberry.2504

blueberry.2504

Is it me or has the leather salvage rate of the first tier been nerft? I remember getting many more rawhide leather sections in the past from salvages, but it may be my perception.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The leather tier in question isn’t used for ascended crafting other than the handful for the exotic insignia.

They could have been bought up in anticipation that legendary armor would use them for the tier 2 collection. Or there’s the legendary shortbow that may be released which would use them. Or it could be none of those and something else entirely.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Dinks.2478

The leather tier in question isn’t used for ascended crafting other than the handful for the exotic insignia.

Sound exactly like it is used in ascended crafting then.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Adding a massive sink without an actual way to obtain materials is in fact what I was talking about, its short-sighted.

There is a way to obtain materials… you go kill the stuff that drops it (in this case hides and other salvagable drops). Just because the mat isn’t freely lying around the map to harvest with a tanning knife, doesn’t mean it’s unobtainable. The mob drops aren’t as infrequent as many peeps would like to claim.

They said they wanted to deflate the economy, but they’ve actually accomplished was deflating the income while inflating cost.

At least there’s an economy to deflate, unlike many MMOs after 3 years. Small blessings.

~EW

Ayrilana.1396

At a very inconsequential rate. You need like 30 hardened leather sections for the exotic insignia. The price also went nearly two years of remaining fairly stable so ascended crafting is not the reason.

Ragion.2831

well wiki shows a lot of sources for leather. Also wouldnt we be back to square one if there was a quick way to farm leather? that would defeat the purpose of the sink wouldnt it?

Dinks.2478

At a very inconsequential rate. You need like 30 hardened leather sections for the exotic insignia. The price also went nearly two years of remaining fairly stable so ascended crafting is not the reason.

30 × 6 for an armor set.

Lets not forget that prior to HoT medium weight classes were not very welcome in groups. Not many people bothered making medium ascended armors.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Humanoid enemies drop bags that have high drop rates for cloth and leather.

If you are short on T5/T6 leather, head over to Cursed Shores and jump on the farming train. You’ll be swimming in the stuff in no time.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Ayrilana.1396

30 × 6 for an armor set.

Lets not forget that prior to HoT medium weight classes were not very welcome in groups. Not many people bothered making medium ascended armors.

It was implied that it would be 30 × 6 for the armor set when I said insignia.

The prices did not start to rise until the mid of January of this year. This was over two years since ascended armor crafting, three months since HoT, and two months since the first raid.

If you looked, you would see a significant amount was bought up. For the month of December, supply on the TP was hovering in the millions. Then around the 12th of January, roughly 90% got bought up. Then on March 7th, another run was made to buy up the leather.

If it was because of ascended crafting, or more people choosing to play medium armor classes, the change would have been more gradual instead of a sharp spike within a day or two period.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

WvW is an excellent source of leather mats from all the random stuff that you get from PKs and tower flips.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

WHY DO THEY DO THIS? Leather is already stupidly hard to obtain in reasonable quantities (Requiring four chunks of the stuff to make the base materials also doesn’t help)

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

Oh… it might have been that I recently bought 250 of those… xD
Fyi, that’s the refined version of Hardened Leather Section. It can only be made with Leatherworker 400, hence the high price and low supply.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

WHY DO THEY DO THIS? Leather is already stupidly hard to obtain in reasonable quantities (Requiring four chunks of the stuff to make the base materials also doesn’t help)

Who are they and what have they done?

As was previously noted Anet didn’t add any new sinks at the time this happened and they don’t directly control the amounts or prices on the TP so they haven’t done anything. But I’m not sure who else you could be referring to.

(Although considering the gw2tp graph linked above shows a very sudden, massive rise in sell price, with the buy price taking quite a while to catch up it looks like what happened is one or more players bought up all the lowest priced sell orders all in one go. Which means the reason why is most likely either so they could sell it back at a profit once the buy price increased too, or so they could stockpile it because they’re expecting demand to increase at some point in future and the price to go even higher. Or simply because they’re new to using the TP in this way and decided leather was a good item to invest in.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

We seem to have run out of leather… I don’t know what it is being used for

Per the wiki page on the item, guild hall upgrades need stacks of it, as do a variety of Legendaries. Level 400 scribe decorations also need it. So now as more people are getting to Scribe 400, going for Legendary collections, and building up their halls, the sink has increased.

Posted by: DeadShotz.7895

DeadShotz.7895

Crafting the Legendary weapons uses a lot of elonian leather, which take the lower tiers to make.

Ayrilana.1396

Crafting the Legendary weapons uses a lot of elonian leather, which take the lower tiers to make.

Elonian leather doesn’t use the leather that was being referenced by the OP.

Danikat.8537

Also ‘run out of’ seems a bit dramatic given there are over 11,000 squares and over 31,000 sections on the TP right now.

Sure it’s not the 99,999+ some of the lower tiers show but I doubt we’re actually going to reach a point where people don’t have the option of buying as much as need any time soon.

Ayrilana.1396

And there’s the 1M+ that people are holding onto.

Danikat.8537

And there’s the 1M+ that people are holding onto.

I only have about 200 squares and about 50 sections. But then I don’t stockpile mats beyond what will fit in the bank (without upgrading it).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If this helps y’all’s discussion

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/19737-Cured-Hardened-Leather-Square

The graph at the bottom of the page shows the number of purchases at set intervals so you can see how much was bought and when. Setting the graph at 3 days shows a number of fair sized purchases in the last few days.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

There’s still 11k+ on TP though

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19737-cured-hardened-leather-square

We seem to have run out of leather… I don’t know what it is being used for, but we are out of it. The problem is that there is no real way to collect the stuff, and I guess demand has outstripped supply for a while now.

Maybe acquisition of this can be looked at?

“seem to” isn’t the same as “have run out”

I used to sell my leather. I’ve started stockpiling more, because I’m anticipating it will be required from something in the upcoming legendaries; I can’t imagine that I’m alone in this. When prices rise, people will ‘remember’ that they, too, have lots of stockpiled mats and some folks will sell.

In other words: supply on the TP never represents all the supply available to the markets; it just represents what people have listed.

There are sources for leather and cloth, just not the obvious ones like those that exist for wood and metal.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Isn’t this really about selling storage space? All the other needed mats will overstock in inventories generating and increasing sales on storage methods. Of course people stockpile with hopes of eventual use.

Ayrilana.1396

Isn’t this really about selling storage space? All the other needed mats will overstock in inventories generating and increasing sales on storage methods. Of course people stockpile with hopes of eventual use.

If you’re referring to storage for all of the t6 leather that people seemed to have been stockpiling, they don’t actually collect it all from the TP. They likely used an alt to do this and just let it sit waiting to be picked up.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

A couple of weeks ago I was wondering why they haven’t added a leather rack for home instances like the clothe one and why they haven’t added clothe and leather higher tier rack yet too.

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

we could always start skinning the quaggan, would give us some really soft leather

Posted by: Scalyon.7028

Scalyon.7028

we could always start skinning the quaggan, would give us some really soft leather

+1 for you, sir!

Ayrilana.1396

Isn’t that how Evon Gnashblade makes those quaggan backpack covers?

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

You can do better than quaggan – we already know from GW1 that charr hide makes pretty decent armour.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Maybe they just didn’t count on losing players which would end up double dipping on the supply reductions.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Isn’t that how Evon Gnashblade makes those quaggan backpack covers?

Not according to the name. They are all Plush covers.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t understand why this is a big deal … if you have been paying attention, you know Anet adjusts for extreme situations for materials that are excessive or lacking.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I don’t understand why this is a big deal … if you have been paying attention, you know Anet adjusts for extreme situations for materials that are excessive or lacking.

Because it puts crafting and other things out of reach for new players.

They nerfed liquid gold throughout the game, mostly in dungeons, and added massive sinks for crafting materials such as guild hall upgrades and legendaries.

Players are getting less gold and prices in the TP are going up because the supply is being used up. It’s even putting things out of reach for veterans.

Some things my guild hall upgrades currently need a max of:
500 cured hard leather squares
50 elonian leather squares
1,300 cured thick leather squares

4,850 elder wood planks
300 ancient wood planks

5,150 mithril ingots
700 orichalcum ingots

15 superior runes of holding (purchased from crafting vendors for 10 gold each) so far nobody in the guild has contributed a single one (can’t blame them because that’s a total of 150 gold right there)

So, yeah. I’m sure this helps the OP understand why we’re running out of certain things and the supply on others is going way down.

Attachments:

There’s something charming about rangers.

Ragion.2831

Maybe they just didn’t count on losing players which would end up double dipping on the supply reductions.

losing players?

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Take into account all of the leather requirements for building up guild halls. That is probably where the Jan. increase hit hardest.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Take into account all of the leather requirements for building up guild halls. That is probably where the Jan. increase hit hardest.

Charrbeque and I already mentioned that earlier in the thread. Guess it’s good we have a consensus forming on the matter ..

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, actually the lower tier leather was already quite pricey. It’s just that cloth was far more overpriced and anet was asked (many times) to balance that. And, as always when they go ahead to fulfill the wishes of the community, they did it in the way noone expected. Instead of bringing cloth prices down, or balancing cloth and leather demand, they simply increased leather demand to match.

In the case of t6, the cause is most likely guildhalls, crafting (medium classes are now useful in meta content, so a lot more of them get geared up) and stat switching. Lot of build changes in that armor weight category (druids, viper engi) lately.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Ayrilana.1396

In the case of t6, the cause is most likely guildhalls, crafting (medium classes are now useful in meta content, so a lot more of them get geared up) and stat switching. Lot of build changes in that armor weight category (druids, viper engi) lately.

I doubt about the crafting and stat switching. This would not be sudden drops in supply and specific points in time unless the meta changed which it really hasn’t to that degree since HoT released. I’m not saying that crafting and stat switching isn’t contributing but it would be more of a gradual effect than a sudden drop. Due to the cost of ascended armor, and people likely not switching stats back and forth, the effect from these are likely fairly minimal.

I hadn’t thought about guild upgrades. If guilds are all reaching new levels together. which then require T6 leather, that could explain the sudden drop in supply. Or at least one of the potential causes.