in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Posting to fix full page bug

So what IS the point of precursor crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The point is simple; allows you to track your progress to a pre-defined goal. That’s all it was ever intended to be.

Regardless of the intent, it pointless, stupid even to complete the legendary journey when you can just buy a precursor for less money, time, and work.

Good thing not everyone feels that way. Some people don’t care about those things and just want a reliable method to see how far along they are in the process of making a precursor. That’s the point of crafted precursors.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

OtakuModeEngage.8679

The point is simple; allows you to track your progress to a pre-defined goal. That’s all it was ever intended to be.

Regardless of the intent, it pointless, stupid even to complete the legendary journey when you can just buy a precursor for less money, time, and work.

Good thing not everyone feels that way.

I’m not saying the concept of the journey in itself is stupid, but the execution is. They need to do at least one of four things: drop prices on materials, drop amount of materials required, make the aquisition of materials more abundont, or make it so not every legendary needs the same materials.

Any of these alterations if done on a small scale will still make the precursor expensive, but less so, giving value to our hard work and making this method of obtainment more fair and equal with the alternatives.

Basically, this system needs a nerf, not a big one, but it still needs one

edit in responce to your edit
And no, that’s not the point of a crafted precursor, this method was added because players wanted a way to earn a precursor, instead of buying one or just getting lucky. As it is now, this method fails to serve the audience it was built for.

As to seeing how far you are progress wise, what’s the difference between 178/264 tooth picks and 452/600g… nothing new about this…

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

Obtena.7952

OK the execution is stupid … that’s still the purpose. Besides, all the things you elude to has nothing to do with what the point of crafting precursors is … you just want em cheap. That’s definitely not what anything Legendary in this game is going to be about. There is no nerf needed: if you want a cheaper, faster or more lazy way, you have options.

The thread for QQ about precursor expensive is down the hall, first door on the left.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

TLDR of this thread (which is the TLDR of so many) is that some groups of people don’t like how the economics of supply and demand work and some people accept it for what it is. Understanding the economics of it is key.

The meta TLDR of this thread is that in order for an economy to actually exist in a manner consistent with how people actually OPERATE in any system (video games, the real world, stock markets, etc), supply and demand is the only process through which that system can maintain and balance itself to any reasonable level.

If you don’t understand the above two points, or simply don’t like the fact that the balance means very very few wealthy and many many poor, it’s impossible to explain it to you, unless you actually study economics. Even what I wrote above is actually insufficient to explain it, as many economists will tell you (and on some levels not even accurate, but I’m trying to communicate the gist, not the exactness). Supply and demand is just one way to operate an economy, but none of the alternatives sustain and balance themselves as reasonably as this one.

Many people appreciate you John, even if economics is drab, and we may only barely understand certain concepts. Now the haters of economics might vilify me by way of justifying their lack of either understanding, or lack of appreciation for what you are trying to accomplish. Much love to the Anet fam.

TLDR meta of my post is: it’s a game. Play it to get gold or play it for fun or don’t play it. In any case, you have choices. And as Neo observed, “The problem is choice.” Realistically, though, many of you just find it easier to try to argue a complaint and troll the forums instead of just moving along.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/11849778_1623877987850883_1954501041_n.jpg

OtakuModeEngage.8679

OK the execution is stupid … that’s still the purpose. Besides, all the things you elude to has nothing to do with what the point of crafting precursors is … you just want em cheap. That’s definitely not what anything Legendary in this game is going to be about. There is no nerf needed: if you want a cheaper, faster or more lazy way, you have options.

The thread for QQ about precursor expensive is down the hall, first door on the left.

No, I just want to earn it, properly; through challenging content worthy of a legendary. I just want my time and effort to be validated, and for methods of obtainment to be worth doing.

If I have to spend a crap ton of gold or do endless farming I will, but only on fair terms.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

TLDR of this thread (which is the TLDR of so many) is that some groups of people don’t like how the economics of supply and demand work and some people accept it for what it is. Understanding the economics of it is key.

The meta TLDR of this thread is that in order for an economy to actually exist in a manner consistent with how people actually OPERATE in any system (video games, the real world, stock markets, etc), supply and demand is the only process through which that system can maintain and balance itself to any reasonable level.

If you don’t understand the above two points, or simply don’t like the fact that the balance means very very few wealthy and many many poor, it’s impossible to explain it to you, unless you actually study economics. Even what I wrote above is actually insufficient to explain it, as many economists will tell you (and on some levels not even accurate, but I’m trying to communicate the gist, not the exactness). Supply and demand is just one way to operate an economy, but none of the alternatives sustain and balance themselves as reasonably as this one.

Many people appreciate you John, even if economics is drab, and we may only barely understand certain concepts. Now the haters of economics might vilify me by way of justifying their lack of either understanding, or lack of appreciation for what you are trying to accomplish. Much love to the Anet fam.

TLDR meta of my post is: it’s a game. Play it to get gold or play it for fun or don’t play it. In any case, you have choices. And as Neo observed, “The problem is choice.” Realistically, though, many of you just find it easier to try to argue a complaint and troll the forums instead of just moving along.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/11849778_1623877987850883_1954501041_n.jpg

I understand that if a little more forethought was put into which mats were required for which legendary, and how many of each mat should be required, while the supply could still significantly be lower than the demand, it could also be a little less so than it is now, so that while still expensive, the aquisition process wouldn’t completely invalidate the masteries and collections. Ie, planning matters.

They put items in the game knowing the strain it will put on the economy, if they had planned a little differently, this could have been so much better.

Likewise, seeing the devisation they caused, they can now make little adjustments to even the balance… and that’s all I’m asking for.

Obtena.7952

No, I just want to earn it, properly; through challenging content worthy of a legendary. I just want my time and effort to be validated, and for methods of obtainment to be worth doing.

You can with crafting, you’ve simply convinced yourself you can’t because reasons. ANet doesn’t cater to opinions.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

You can with crafting, you’ve simply convinced yourself you can’t because reasons. ANet doesn’t cater to opinions.

No, I’ve convinced myself of nothing, I recognize that legendaries can now be earned through farming and crafting, but I also recognize that the other effort we put into the journey isn’t factored into the equation at all, and as such is invalidated.

I’m looking at all the facts, but you’re ignoring one… who’s convinced himself???

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

They put items in the game knowing the strain it will put on the economy, if they had planned a little differently, this could have been so much better.

Better for Anet or better for the player saying it could be better? John is balancing for YEARS of game play, not months. And he’s not balancing it for players so much as the requirements he has to get the in-game economy where he determines it needs to be.

Likewise, seeing the devisation they caused, they can now make little adjustments to even the balance… and that’s all I’m asking for.

To use a word like “devastation” regarding an economy in a video game explains why some have this expectation for something that is not realistic while balancing for years, not months.

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

It is about having them now. They choose to pay the higher cost to have the time-gated materials now.

Just look at Zap

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/29181-Zap

You could craft it, sell it at the highest buy order price and still make a profit.

This is wrong, the information on gw2bltc is lacking several ingredients for the crafted precursor. It is currently several hundred gold more expensive to craft Zap than to buy on tp. I just crafted Bolt today, and believe me I checked more than once.

I also crafted The Legend several days after expansion launch, that actually saved me roughly 200 gold. Seeing as wood is 90% of the ingredients and has more than doubled in price since then, it’s probably way more expensive to craft than to buy too now.

Anyone who starts crafting a precursor now is either too rich to care, or too oblivious to realize he is gonna lose a lot of money by crafting instead of buying. You are essentially paying a few hundred gold for a minimal amount of lore and story at this point.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Better for Anet or better for the player saying it could be better? John is balancing for YEARS of game play, not months. And he’s not balancing it for players so much as the requirements he has to get the in-game economy where he determines it needs to be.

To use a word like “devastation” regarding an economy in a video game explains why some have this expectation for something that is not realistic while balancing for years, not months.

No, they changed their mind-set entirely when it comes to “balancing the economy”

Now they want to make everything expensive as hell, yet cut out all the gold reward from Dungeon/ Fractal.

Can’t you see the direction they’re taking? They want to encourage people to spend gems for in game gold more and MORE because they’re getting desperate. Any logical person can see this trend. You’re blinding yourself if you don’t see it.

Balancing around economy for years? So causing a 100%~200% inflation in 1~2 day, you call that expert in economy? Yes, maybe this is entirely intentional, but ones can’t help to think that their intention is entirely base on enormous GREED.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Anyone who starts crafting a precursor now is either too rich to care, or too oblivious to realize he is gonna lose a lot of money by crafting instead of buying. You are essentially paying a few hundred gold for a minimal amount of lore and story at this point.

So, just out of curiosity, how long do you think it will be before crafting material prices come down and it would be more reasonable to consider making a precursor?

Aomine.5012

So, just out of curiosity, how long do you think it will be before crafting material prices come down and it would be more reasonable to consider making a precursor?

At least a year.

New legendaries would be releasing every 3 months, all of them competing the same Woods and Ores. The only difference is this time there’s no supply from Mystic Forge, so those materials are actually essential. The price will only get worse, not better.
(Just imagine what’d happen to the ore prices when new legendary GS is out. Just imagine it for a moment!)

And Anet will still be watching us over that high Ivory Tower, laughing at its citizens while grabbing more and more money from desperate people who give-in and use real money to buy in-game gold. (gem conversion)

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: Suinz.5968

Suinz.5968

It was never meant to make legendaries cheaper anyway. Don’t know what gave everyone that impression. They’re still legendaries, meant to be a highly sought after long-term goal that’s difficult to achieve, and quite frankly they’re already common enough as it is, any cheaper and literally everyone would have one. It was simply meant to give players a “quest” to work towards their legendary rather than just mystic forging thousands of weapons and praying for the best.

And the precursors for the new legendaries aren’t going to drop at all, so even if you’d argue they’re “pointless” for old ones because its just as cheap to buy the precursor, they have a definite purpose for the new ones.

This makes NO sense. Why would someone want to spend countless hours doing a stupid, boring, checklist that will end up costing the same as the same Precursor off the TP when they could just buy it right out? The Precursor crafting was terribly executed.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I thought it was to give players a non-RNG way to obtain them, but since RNG is part of the collections, that’s not really it, either.

Okay I’m curious about this. RNG how? I’ve only finished the first two stages of Leaf of Kudzu so far, so my experience is limited.

The bit of RNG that’s in mine is not the kind of RNG referred to when people get a precursor. For example, there was a drop I needed from the Vinewrath which took me three tries to get. Yes it’s RNG, but it’s extremely doable RNG. It’s not like I can play for three years and do this event and never get it…unless I think it’s not.

Is there an RNG further in that I’m not aware of?

I finished the Kudzu collection- in the last part you’ll have to harvest seeds from various plant nodes. Some took me a while (by a while I mean taking two alts around a few times to find nodes). The seeds don’t drop every time, but I got them all in two days, and some of them have whole patches to harvest.

The Kudzu collection is very easy compared to some others… It is largely just waypointing around and does not have events attached to it (except for a few world bosses and that one heart quest in Brisban). Nothing like having to get encased in a crystal by a dragon who can be blinded. Edit: I thought I would note the only annoying part for me: you’ll need to capture Arah temple to collect compost from the Risen High Wizard. Good luck finding a map that isn’t defending that temple!

@Celtic Lady, the Compost from Heirloom Seed Pouches was fixed this past Tuesday. I got one from opening just 4 bags.

(edited by rhapsody.3615)

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

The only point to attempt crafting for me is the ap. I won’t use my mats for any of the less desirables, because it’s cheaper to buy most. Good example I bought Rodgorts flame for 70g the legendary inscription goes for 80g. That was a no brainer.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

It was never meant to make legendaries cheaper anyway. Don’t know what gave everyone that impression. They’re still legendaries, meant to be a highly sought after long-term goal that’s difficult to achieve, and quite frankly they’re already common enough as it is, any cheaper and literally everyone would have one. It was simply meant to give players a “quest” to work towards their legendary rather than just mystic forging thousands of weapons and praying for the best.

And the precursors for the new legendaries aren’t going to drop at all, so even if you’d argue they’re “pointless” for old ones because its just as cheap to buy the precursor, they have a definite purpose for the new ones.

This makes NO sense. Why would someone want to spend countless hours doing a stupid, boring, checklist that will end up costing the same as the same Precursor off the TP when they could just buy it right out? The Precursor crafting was terribly executed.

Pretty much this – there is no point.

I hoped that precursor crafting would be a skill gated way to get a precursor without having to sink a lot of money into it.

I expected legendary weapon crafting to be revamped and offer an experience that ties player skill and competence to success in crafting the precursor. Turns out it’s just a list of go here to that and so on and so forth.

Better off buying it off the TP.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: ZackCC.3965

ZackCC.3965

Because I know I will NEVER have the amount of gold required to buy it outright. It just won’t happen. I rather work on the precursor slowly but surely one step at a time. Precursor crafting is made for me and people who think like me. Maybe it does cost more on the longrun but it doesn’t matter. At least for me.

Obtena.7952

No, I’ve convinced myself of nothing, I recognize that legendaries can now be earned through farming and crafting, but I also recognize that the other effort we put into the journey isn’t factored into the equation at all, and as such is invalidated.

I’m looking at all the facts, but you’re ignoring one… who’s convinced himself???

You’re just going to have to be more specific; what effort is invalidated in your journey to a legendary? I don’t get it. You earn mats, build your subcomponents, unlock masteries and finally make your legendary. What is it that you have to do exactly that doesn’t go towards earning you a legendary but is part of this journey?

Posted by: schumisaurus.7583

schumisaurus.7583

It’s tough. I started my precursor (Legends)a few days before wood prices went through the roof. Now it’s obscenely expensive to buy wood and spirit wood so I’ve had to try farming, but even that isn’t giving me enough wood. It’s the first time I’ve felt the grind in GW2 and I don’t like it

OtakuModeEngage.8679

You’re just going to have to be more specific; what effort is invalidated in your journey to a legendary? I don’t get it. You earn mats, build your subcomponents, unlock masteries and finally make your legendary. What is it that you have to do exactly that doesn’t go towards earning you a legendary but is part of this journey?

The 3 masteries, 3 colections, and the gold/karma/spirit shard required to unlock each collection. If you take all of that away, all the weeks worth of time spent lvling and doing events just to get to the point where you can craft in the first place, subtract all of that, THEN farming/buying mats and crafting them is equal to purchasing a precursor on the trading post.

Thus, none of that work and time spent is factored into earning it, it’s all just extra busy work, gating, because none of it counts, none of that work is validated in the cost.

Obtena.7952

No, it’s part of what is necessary to get those legendary. You might think it’s unfair or unreasonable, but it’s definitely work that needs to happen. Perhaps you think it’s just ‘busywork’ because it’s not part of the tangible set of materials that actually go into crafting, but so is leveling a character to get the mats, leveling your crafting skills, watching the TP, etc… ; point is that there are LOTS of activities you need to do (that you aren’t considering or at least you haven’t mentioned) that go beyond the ‘collect loot, make legendary" that aren’t factored into it’s ‘cost’, so it’s rather silly to complain only about the ones you don’t like.

These extra activities certainly don’t invalidating anything (methinks you don’t know the meaning of the word); those non-materials activities definitely count because you won’t get one without them, including the ones you haven’t mentioned.

… or you could just you know … make a legendary the old way because you have choices. Maybe you’re going to be like that other guy … take the stubborn route and be hyper-focused specific, then complain because you choose to be stubborn, that it’s too hard or unreasonable, or whatever.

I mean, if you think about it, those activities make sense because you can’t deny that simply buying mats and crafting a ‘legendary’ item , or even just buying it directly, is not all that legendary at all. In fact, it’s one of the things that many players complained about. So you see, you might think it’s all just a waste of time, Anet is just responding to players complaints and creating a system where players actually DO something related to their legendary that is meaningful to them; at least more so than buying it outright.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

OtakuModeEngage.8679

The 3 masteries, 3 colections, and the gold/karma/spirit shard required to unlock each collection. If you take all of that away, all the weeks worth of time spent lvling and doing events just to get to the point where you can craft in the first place, subtract all of that, THEN farming/buying mats and crafting them is equal to purchasing a precursor on the trading post.

Thus, none of that work and time spent is factored into earning it, it’s all just extra busy work, gating, because none of it counts, none of that work is validated in the cost.

Example:
You can learn how to bake appel pie, buy the supplies to bake it, and them do the baking.
Or
You can buy a appel pie.

Granted, this is a poor anology, as you have to spend more on the supplies than one pie, because you have to buy flour and such in bulk, BUT even in this case, you’ll find you get more for your money’s worth, because you now have enough to make ten apple pies instead of one, and after doing the math, each is significantly cheaper than buying one the same size at a store. Why? Because knowing how to bake, the baking itself has monetary value. Also stores have to pay workers, replenish supplies, upkeep equiptment, and make profet.

In this case however we know how to craft and are doing the crafting, but it cost the same as one at the store(tp). That doesn’t make sense, given all the extra work we have to do, given that we are doing it ourselves rather than purchasing it outright, it should by all means cost less than it does in a store. But it doesnt.

Look at any other craftable item in-game sellable on tp, each and every one to the last, is cheaper to craft yourself than buy.

Obtena.7952

I get your analogy and I know about how the craftable item is cheaper to craft yourself than buy as well. I don’t see the relevance.

This system is Anet’s response to players wanting to give players a more meaningful experience getting a legendary. It does that better than the old ways. Price just wasn’t a factor and I think for the more astute people, they knew it; not because Anet wants to screw people and get them to buy gems, but because it CAN’T.

Let’s be honest … did you think it was going to be different than what it is? Look at what you have to do for current Legendary or Ascended Gear. Think about it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

OtakuModeEngage.8679

No, it’s part of what is necessary to get those legendary. You might think it’s unfair or unreasonable, but it’s definitely work that needs to happen. Perhaps you think it’s just ‘busywork’ because it’s not part of the tangible set of materials that actually go into crafting, but so is leveling a character to get the mats, leveling your crafting skills, watching the TP, etc… ; point is that there are LOTS of activities you need to do (that you aren’t considering or at least you haven’t mentioned) that go beyond the ‘collect loot, make legendary" that aren’t factored into it’s ‘cost’, so it’s rather silly to complain only about the ones you don’t like.

These extra activities certainly don’t invalidating anything (methinks you don’t know the meaning of the word); those non-materials activities definitely count because you won’t get one without them, including the ones you haven’t mentioned.

… or you could just you know … make a legendary the old way because you have choices. Maybe you’re going to be like that other guy … take the stubborn route and be hyper-focused specific, then complain because you choose to be stubborn, that it’s too hard or unreasonable, or whatever.

I mean, if you think about it, those activities make sense because you can’t deny that simply buying mats and crafting a ‘legendary’ item , or even just buying it directly, is not all that legendary at all. In fact, it’s one of the things that many players complained about. So you see, you might think it’s all just a waste of time, Anet is just responding to players complaints and creating a system where players actually DO something related to their legendary that is meaningful to them; at least more so than buying it outright.

You completely missed what I was trying to say. Yes, these activities are directly part of what’s required to make the legendary, YET the cost for the legendary doesn’t account for them. That is the problem; that because the cost doesn’t acount for this extra work, this extra work is invalidated, because even without it, you could otherwise get the same item for the same coft. Me thinks you must be blind to not see this…

As for leveling your crafting and the rest, while that is needed, its not a direct component to the cost of the item itself; let’s stay on topic, we are talking about what’s required to make the legendary, not craft in general.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I get your analogy and I know about how the craftable item is cheaper to craft yourself than buy as well. I don’t see the relevance.

This system is Anet’s response to players wanting to give players a more meaningful experience getting a legendary. It does that better than the old ways. Price just wasn’t a factor and I think for the more astute people, they knew it; not because Anet wants to screw people and get them to buy gems, but because it CAN’T.

Let’s be honest … did you think it was going to be different than what it is? Look at what you have to do for current Legendary or Ascended Gear. Think about it.

Ah, but in the end, it isn’t more meaningful, because you have to buy it after all. So all that work that would otherwise make it meaningful is void of purpose.

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

Instead of buying a precursor with one large sum of gold off the trading post, you can now buy materials with many small sums of gold off the trading.

If someone tells me that it is some new revolutionary non-rng method of getting a precursor, it’s not. You could already buy them off the TP which isn’t rng. Sorrynotsorry.

Obtena.7952

Ah, but in the end, it isn’t more meaningful, because you have to buy it after all. So all that work that would otherwise make it meaningful is void of purpose.

It’s not less meaningful because you have to buy something, no more so than having to get a recipe or vendor only materials like spools, etc… . What is this something you HAVE to buy?w

(edited by Obtena.7952)

tim.1280

It’s not less meaningful because you have to buy something. What is this something you HAVE to buy?

I really don’t see people not buying some of the materials unless they want to wait 2+ years to get them all…

Obtena.7952

It’s not less meaningful because you have to buy something. What is this something you HAVE to buy?

I really don’t see people not buying some of the materials unless they want to wait 2+ years to get them all…

Neither do I, but I don’t think it makes the whole process less meaningful to the person crafting it.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

It’s not less meaningful because you have to buy something, no more so than having to get a recipe or vendor only materials like spools, etc… . What is this something you HAVE to buy?w

Forgive me, you don’t HAVE to buy the materials, you can also farm them, but as farming gold and farming materials is practically the same, and the two are interchangeable on the tp, that distinction is irrelevent, as the worth is the same. More to the point, due to the limits and restrictions on where and how one may farm each mat, it is far more grindy than farming gold. Not an optimal choice in the slightest.

That aside the simple fact that the worth(of materials required vrs gold required) is the same yet mats are more difficult to farm AND require all the aditional requirements such as masteries and collections to unlock, make the legendary journey much more taxing on the player and much less rewarding. That’s the simple truth, whether you choose to see it or not.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Neither do I, but I don’t think it makes the whole process less meaningful to the person crafting it.

Because why go through all the extra work when in the end you’re just gonna buy anyways…

Posted by: ZackCC.3965

ZackCC.3965

Actually, that is my plan. I’m slowly but surely working on precursor. And that is meaningful to me.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It is about having them now. They choose to pay the higher cost to have the time-gated materials now.

Just look at Zap

You could craft it, sell it at the highest buy order price and still make a profit.

This is wrong, the information on gw2bltc is lacking several ingredients for the crafted precursor. It is currently several hundred gold more expensive to craft Zap than to buy on tp. I just crafted Bolt today, and believe me I checked more than once.

I also crafted The Legend several days after expansion launch, that actually saved me roughly 200 gold. Seeing as wood is 90% of the ingredients and has more than doubled in price since then, it’s probably way more expensive to craft than to buy too now.

Such as what? The cost was more or less in line with what someone else found which was just over 600G.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rb17p/bolt_i_the_experimental_sword_guide/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rb2x3/bolt_ii_the_perfected_sword_guide/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rb4cl/bolt_iii_zap_partial_guide_as_this_cant_be/

Just because you chose to buy the time-gated materials at their sell order prices doesn’t mean that it’s more expensive to craft.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

It was never meant to make legendaries cheaper anyway.

Because that’s what we’ve been asking for since launch and what they should have delivered.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Ohoni.6057

Also no matter how cheap and/or easy they were to get through crafting it would never be significantly cheaper than buying it from the TP because that price is set by players buying and selling them.

Which means as soon as it became apparent it was cheaper to craft them most people would stop buying them and the price would drop (through sellers undercutting each other to try to make a sale) until it roughly matched the cost to craft one.

Yes, so?

The point is for the overall price to be cheaper, not that they need to be cheaper than whatever the TP price may be, just that they be significantly cheaper than what the current TP prices are.

This sort of argument strikes me like those against a cigarette tax, where opponents whine they if the taxes get too high then people will just stop smoking and tax revenues will decrease. Well mission accomplished either way.

done by now.”

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

Can’t you see the direction they’re taking? They want to encourage people to spend gems for in game gold more and MORE because they’re getting desperate.

Why do people keep saying this? When you buy gems for converting to gold, you’re not buying the gold from Anet, you’re buying it from other players. You’re buying it from players who are selling their gold for your gems. The overall supply of gold is going down. That gold you “buy” with gems is also drying up. It will reach a point where you can’t buy gold with gems because no one will be selling gold for gems. Anet’s not going to be making any money then (well, except for new outfits, gathering tools, etc). Anet is not selling gold, they are facilitating a transaction between you and another player (at an aggregate level) and taking a monetary cut. The gold you’re buying with your gems is gold already in circulation, farmed out a dungeon months ago. It’s not “new” gold (created by the game).

And prices going up? They’ll come crashing down eventually because no one will have the gold to afford anything (and what little gold is left will be substantially more valuable). Anet is in “drain” mode right now. They feel there is too much gold in circulation. This is why the supply of gold (dungeons) has been effectively removed and gold sinks (guild halls come to mind) have been introduced. They are draining gold from the economy. Eventually, when the overall level of gold has dropped to the level they feel comfortable with, they’ll have to turn on a spigot somewhere (I’d guess fractal rewards) so that the amount of gold coming into the game (rewards) balances with the amount of gold going out (sinks) and the overall amount of gold in circulation can be stabilized at this new (lower) level.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

It was never meant to make legendaries cheaper anyway.

Because that’s what we’ve been asking for since launch and what they should have delivered.

Really ? I thought the main complaint was : there’s nothing legendary about having to buy it and pure luck regarding the precursor.

So they gave us a scavenger hunt to take away most of the luck part. It’s too bad that for now buying it from the TP is cheaper than getting it from that scavenger hunt (remember that buying it is instantaneous. For the collection, not only do you need a lot of gold, you also need a lot of time).

Of course, the main thing affecting all of that is how the TP is completely messed up due to HoT and everything that came with it. With time prices should go back to being lower (that is of course if Anet doesn’t release another thing requiring tons of woods and ores).

Ohoni.6057

Why do people keep saying this? When you buy gems for converting to gold, you’re not buying the gold from Anet, you’re buying it from other players. You’re buying it from players who are selling their gold for your gems.

Yes, but you’re also buying gems from ANet, which makes them money, so you can see why they might be happy about that. Given the exchange rate, every player who buys gems using gold, and then uses those gems to buy gem store things, is worth more to them as a customer than one who buys gems using money and buys those same items, because there is an exchange mark-up. The more liquid the gold/gem exchange is, the better they do.

This is why the supply of gold (dungeons) has been effectively removed and gold sinks (guild halls come to mind) have been introduced.

Guild halls, to the best of my knowledge, do not remove a great deal of gold from the economy. Very little of the costs involved are directly in gold to a vendor/NPC. Now, it likely costs a guild a great deal of their gold to fully kit out their hall, but that gold goes to other players to buy things like kegs and glasses and various other time gated or otherwise expensive materials. ANet pockets a little of that gold in TP fees, but it’s not massive relative to the cost of the materials themselves.

Really ? I thought the main complaint was : there’s nothing legendary about having to buy it and pure luck regarding the precursor

No. That was a complaint going around, certainly, but it was quite far from the main complaint. More interesting methods of earning them are certainly appreciated, but on the basis that they would be CHEAPER, not that the bulk of the crafting process would continue to involve throwing piles of gold at the problem.

The crafting process never should have involved any gold, or any gold-fungible materials. It should all have been activities and account bound materials.

The simple fact is that there was never any need for “a method that does not involve RNG,” because we always had one, “buy it off the TP for gold.”

If the scavenger hunt also involves spending relatively equivalent amounts of gold, PLUS a whole bunch of other random busywork, then it has completely failed to serve any valid function. It becomes like one of those hipster restaurants where you can “make your own food,” and yeah, you have to spend just as much on ingredients as you would spend at any other restaurant, and yeah, on top of that you have to put in a lot of work yourself, but it’s better than just going to a restaurant and paying a chef to do it for. . . reasons?

done by now.”

Obtena.7952

Because why go through all the extra work when in the end you’re just gonna buy anyways…

Like I already mentioned, to some people, that doesn’t matter. Please read.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

I agree with this post 100%. I decided to craft dusk. I figured, what the hell I have tons of mats I can unload. Boy, I was wrong. As many mats I had i still spent over 700 and I’m still not done with t2 crafting. Need 20 more delrimor ignots, which is about 200g now. I would have been better off selling off my mats buying it and crafting twilight. Take this as a WARNING and DO NOT bother with the old precursors. Anet screwed the pooch on this one. With that being said only the rich will have the new legendaries, for now.

tim.1280

I think most people are missing the point here. The point of precursor crafting was to make them more obtainable to people in the game. Reasons for this was that the % of getting them from the mystic forge or from the game in general was too low and also certain people could not farm enough gold quick enough to compensate with the increasing inflation in the game and thus could not afford them off the TP. Locking precursors behind an incomprehensible and monotonous grind did not fix either of these problems and therefore I think, IN MY OPINION, Anet have not brought precursor crafting into the game successfully.

Please do not tell me that the current precursor crafting is different to buying the actual precursor off the TP. It is extremely similar.

Posted by: Luac Agwayen.6419

Luac Agwayen.6419

What me actually ticks off most, is the stupid requirments for precursor crafting. In my opinion, by all means, i shouldnt be forced to cope with stupid annoying pvp to get materials i need to craft something. PvP is and should have been seperated from that, same way as it was removed from world completion. The Precursor hunt should have been completely and alone a Tyria World experience. It is already bad enough to deal with fractals and dungeons to get certain stuff, but also pvp? Sorry, biggest fail ever.

Obtena.7952

I think most people are missing the point here. The point of precursor crafting was to make them more obtainable to people in the game.

I have to challenge that because Anet never came out and said “We are making craftable precursors so legendaries are more obtainable”. It’s simply an option for people that don’t want to play TP/MF.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Garrisyl.7402

Such as what? The cost was more or less in line with what someone else found which was just over 600G.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rb17p/bolt_i_the_experimental_sword_guide/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rb2x3/bolt_ii_the_perfected_sword_guide/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rb4cl/bolt_iii_zap_partial_guide_as_this_cant_be/

Just because you chose to buy the time-gated materials at their sell order prices doesn’t mean that it’s more expensive to craft.

1) I based my calculations on the crafting cost, not the TP cost.
2) From an economic point of view, crafting vs buying time-gated materials makes next to no difference. If you craft them all yourself you save money. If you buy them off TP it costs more, but you can sell all the time-gated materials you craft (and now don’t have to use for precursor crafting since you already bought those) for the exact same price difference (-15% taxes).
3) The reddit post you link to is 19 days old. Back then it WAS profitable to craft instead of buying, since there still was a pre-HoT surplus of materials on the market. Notice how I mentioned crafting The Legend shortly after expansion launch and saving money?

Since then prices have roughly doubled for most materials, so it is no longer possible to save money by crafting most precursors. The price for crafting Zap i calculated several days ago was 1100g by the way. Feel free to prove me wrong using today’s material prices.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

2) From an economic point of view, crafting vs buying time-gated materials makes next to no difference. If you craft them all yourself you save money. If you buy them off TP it costs more, but you can sell all the time-gated materials you craft (and now don’t have to use for precursor crafting since you already bought those) for the exact same price difference (-15% taxes).
3) The reddit post you link to is 19 days old. Back then it WAS profitable to craft instead of buying, since there still was a pre-HoT surplus of materials on the market. Notice how I mentioned crafting The Legend shortly after expansion launch and saving money?

Since then prices have roughly doubled for most materials, so it is no longer possible to save money by crafting most precursors. The price for crafting Zap i calculated several days ago was 1100g by the way. Feel free to prove me wrong using today’s material prices.

1) Then you did something wrong in your calculations. I looked at the materials that make up the core cost of crafting a precursor and they do not come close to 1,100 gold unless you use the cost of buying the time-gated materials directly off the TP.

2) Actually it does make a large difference and I’m incredibly surprised that you don’t understand that. It almost makes me wonder if you even did the calculations yourself. You do realize that crafting something like deldrimor ingot and then selling it at the buy order price still yields a profit, right? You’re completely ignoring that there’s a profit margin for some of the ascended materials simply because they are time-gated and people are impatient.

3) We go back to my original post.

You stated that it was wrong. I asked you to show how but instead you ignored that and started arguing about the links and how they were 19 days old.

Garrisyl.7402

2) Actually it does make a large difference and I’m incredibly surprised that you don’t understand that. It almost makes me wonder if you even did the calculations yourself. You do realize that crafting something like deldrimor ingot and then selling it at the buy order price still yields a profit, right? You’re completely ignoring that there’s a profit margin for some of the ascended materials simply because they are time-gated and people are impatient.

You stated that it was wrong. I asked you to show how but instead you ignored that and started arguing about the links and how they were 19 days old.

The theoretical cost of using a material for crafting is always going to be it’s TP price. If Spiritwood planks were 7g to craft and 10g on the TP, you would “lose” 3g (minus taxes) every time you used one for crafting instead of selling it. It’s not as clear as gold directly leaving your wallet, but it’s the loss of an unrealized profit.

It can be cheaper to craft all the time-gated materials you need, but not by much. Let’s look at an example using the above prices: You need 10 Spiritwood Planksfor an item.

Scenario 1) You instantly buy 10 planks of the tp for 100 gold. This means that over the next 10 days you can sell your daily plank, since you no longer need them for crafting. Each plank sells for 10g -15% taxes= 8.5g. Subtracting the 7g crafting cost leaves you with 1.5g profit for each plank, or 15g over a 10 day period. Since you recuperated 15g, the final cost of this scenario is 85 gold.

Scenario 2) You craft all 10 planks over the course of 10 days. Remember that their value is not the crafting cost, but what you could sell them for. Since you could sell them for 10×10g -15% taxes, the total cost of scenario 2 is 85g (Even though you only directly spent 70g on crafting them).

As you can see, it literally makes no difference whether you craft or buy the Spiritwood planks. Real prices are slightly different and you might save some gold, but not much.

I mentioned the age of the reddit post because you brought it up in relation to the 600g crafting cost. The market has changed so much since then that you cannot rely on the cost estimates made in it.

You were right that i calculated wrong though. I had counted the deldrimor cost of the first tier twice for some reason. If we take away that it still costs 850ish gold to craft, which is the current buy order. This is not accounting for the hours spent crafting instead of earning gold, or the tons of account bound materials used (Karma, geodes, bandit crests etc.)

I’m not saying no one should craft their precursors, all I am saying is that you shouldn’t if your main goal is to save money.

Aomine.5012

1) Then you did something wrong in your calculations. I looked at the materials that make up the core cost of crafting a precursor and they do not come close to 1,100 gold unless you use the cost of buying the time-gated materials directly off the TP.

Hey, stop all these NS theory crafting and start crafting precursors yourself by buying all the TP materials and prove us wrong already ok?

If you find it profitable, go ahead, show me a screenshot of you buy all the materials off TP and then craft it. Do those that exculsively use ores or woods, which is like 90~100 of each t7 materials. If you refuse to do it, it means you’re just spreading NS that even you yourself wouldn’t consider using, and completely contradict yourself.

Price level changes, so we use the price level of the current materials. I can say that back then precursors are 50g, so should I use the price level of 50g for precursors?

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

People are irrational to think precursor crafting was ever meant to be cheap precursors.