So- what's "Account Bound on Acquire"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

I have a stack of XP scrolls in my bank that are “Account Bound on Acquire”. I have another that are “Account Bound”. What’s the difference (and is there any way to collapse them into a single stack)? NB: I understand the difference between “Soulbound” and “Soulbound on Acquire” – the latter aren’t Soulbound until moved into a character’s inventory. But moving my stack of ABoA scrolls to inventory changes nothing; their status stays the same.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Posted by: Daedalus.4193

Daedalus.4193

Well “Account bound” means basically that the item is locked to your account and can’t be traded or put into a guild bank but can freely be moved around to various characters on that account. Ascended Weapons for example. This one usually covered some items from store and such that are specifically created by/for you.

“Account bound on aquire” usually are stuff like some achievement rewards and items from champion bags and such that are created in the game world, but not especially for you, you just happen to be the one opening the bag for instance and so the items within can become account bound on spawning – these are also locked to your account and can’t be traded or stored in guild banks but can also be freely moved between characters on that account.

Basically it’s two slightly different origins but exactly the same outcome.

(edited by Daedalus.4193)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The “Account bound on Acquire” status is usually reserved for displaying in an NPCs or other menu prior to you obtaining the item (so you are aware that it will be ACCOUNT BOUND when you obtain it). I’m guessing anything in your inventory that displays that label is actually a display bug of some sort and you should report it in-game.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

Thanks, guys – you’ve clarified my thoughts.

I tend towards Brother Grimm’s theory (even though I understand what you were saying, Daedalus). My real point, I guess, comes down to why something I’ve already acquired should be showing as “Account Bound on Acquire”.
(A) it seems to imply that some sort of “Acquire” – with an accompanying change of status to a simple “Account Bound” – can still happen, and
(B) it also seems to imply that they ought to be transferable until that change of status happens (which they’re not).

Answer – in my view, it shouldn’t. I’ll raise a bug on it, and let Anet think about it.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)