So what's up with karka?

So what's up with karka?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

Well, I personally have come to like karka a lot.
Especially since their shells are important crafting component

Is it possible to encounter them outside Southsun Cove?
I really hope that they will spread across all beaches in small packs or in events – karka attacking town or npcs , etc.
It would make adventuring a lot more interesting and a bit more profitable.

Are there plans to expand karka content or will it be forgotten?

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Lumberjackth.3764

Lumberjackth.3764

That would be interesting. But their lore said they mostly stick to that cove. And their invasion was wiped.

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were included in the near future. It’s rather uncommon for a company to waste assets on a single isolated event. I would like to see one soon myself. I did not attend the Karka event and I am kicking myself hard after hearing about the surge of precursors given at the end.

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Josh.8154

Josh.8154

Well, I personally have come to like karka a lot.
Especially since their shells are important crafting component

Is it possible to encounter them outside Southsun Cove?
I really hope that they will spread across all beaches in small packs or in events – karka attacking town or npcs , etc.
It would make adventuring a lot more interesting and a bit more profitable.

Are there plans to expand karka content or will it be forgotten?

I took part in the event that opened up Southsun Cove. They were trying to come in to Lion’s Arch and we all drove them back to their Island where they are being kept after the death of the Ancient Karka. The Ancient Karka was a tough fight, but the rewards were very worth while since I had a precursor drop for me in the chest. Time will tell what Arenanet does. Never know what the future holds, but I am hoping for more events like the Southsun Shore opening.

Home Server: Kaineng, Guild: Domicile Officer
Yarlash, lvl 80 Human Thief
Guild Website: www.domicile.guildlaunch.com

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

All I want is an Oopah Karka Style video!

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/197442Karka.png

(edited by Keiran.1896)

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I like the Karka too. I know the event was an experiment that went wrong, but I like the zone, I the enemy and their added difficulty. Definitely would like to more of them in the future hopefully with added content for Southson. It’s a very pretty area – Kudos to the designer(s)

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

But their lore said they mostly stick to that cove. And their invasion was wiped.

Or so it was thought… it was only later, after a new content patch, that we learned of Zhaitan’s newest horror! Behold! The slain Karka from The Lost Shores event have been reanimated creating a never before seen abomination! . . . the Risen Karka!

Everyone… Come! Clack Clack Clack

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

@Mars
Ahahahaha! shhhhhh, don’t give them any ideas!

Personally I had issues with the Karka, from a gameplay standpoint, they were incredibly annoying to fight and the drop rate on the shells is abysmal (spent hours there and came away with one freaking shell, it’s no winder they’re so expensive).
But that’s just a game design decision I disagree with, that’s nothing.

As a writer it’s the Lore that gets me the most. All through the event it was all about something stirring in the depths of the sea of sorrows, you went around seeking information from the sea dwellers, the Quaggons and the the even deeper dwellers the Largos, to get information on what was going on way down deep deep in the sea, what could it be??
Something is driving these creatures from their home in the depths!
Wait, they live on an island….
What?
I don’t even….
Did I miss something somewhere? It makes no sense to me.

I thought we were going to see an entirely underwater map, a zone entirely enclosed by water, where you can’t even swim to the surface you’re so far down, only reachable by the portal in LA (that sadly only goes to the Fractals). Because, you know, everything pointed to something going on at the bottom of the sea, something driving the Karka out. But there was just the Consortium screwing around on the island, no big monster driving them out (I honestly thought it was the setup for the deep sea dragon, not necessarily his arrival as that’s likely expansion material, but setting the stage for him).
Karka, Y U no make sense?!

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

@ScribeTheMad
And where did the island come from… Maybe it “rose” like orr, but I really didn’t catch what was going on, it was very unclear.

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Yeah. The shell drops are completely pathetic. Hell, the drop period. Telling me if I kill something it doesn’t have any meat, blood or skin/shell/bone on it %90 of the time? Sure, encourage scarcity of things, I get that. But nothing the vast majority of the time, even on Vets ya have to ‘kill’ twice to find out you get nothing but wind? PAH-the-tic.

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

@Satakal
hehe, I suppose it could have risen like that, but that wasn’t really the feel I got while there.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

Yeah. The shell drops are completely pathetic. Hell, the drop period. Telling me if I kill something it doesn’t have any meat, blood or skin/shell/bone on it %90 of the time? Sure, encourage scarcity of things, I get that. But nothing the vast majority of the time, even on Vets ya have to ‘kill’ twice to find out you get nothing but wind? PAH-the-tic.

That’s a problem with loot drops…

I think a better system would’ve been to have the smallest of a creature type always drop the smallest type of parts, the second smallest have a chance at both, the 3rd smallest have a chance at all and so on continuing up to the largest. The “rares” of the RNG would be both the smallest and the largest giving mid ranged parts most often. Vets and Champs would always drop the best, possibly multiple. Finally I’d set up a system where X small parts combined to create Y mid parts and so on so that no parts were ever useless or unwanted.

It’s pretty frustrating to constantly get greys or even worse, nothing at all.

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

It’s not whether or not they drop something… it’s whether or not they drop something of a good enough quality to use. Yeah, they all have a shell, but if you blow it up and fry it to dust with a meteor storm there’s no guarantee you’ll have enough shell left to be usable.

How’s that for creative thinking? I used that to justify all those boars back in the day without livers…

#TeamJadeQuarry

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

I find Southsun Cove is one of the the ugliest places in the game. It looks like it was knitted with a hot needle. It’s not of the same quality like the rest of the gameworld. The place is only good for farming while waiting for a Dungeon / fractal-group and the rich ore once a day.

(edited by Pixelninja.6971)

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I find Southsun Cove is one of the the ugliest places in the game. It looks like it was knitted with a hot needle. It’s not of the same quality like the rest of the gameworld. The place is only good for farming while waiting for a Dungeon / fractal-group and the rich ore once a day.

But then again I find it gorgeous in a primordial kind of early earth way. You can almost feel the humidity and the heat. It would be something if they added random gnat bites that your character would swat at after losing 5 health.

#TeamJadeQuarry

So what's up with karka?

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

I like the mobs and the zone, there’s just 2 gripes I have though.

There’s absolutely no reason to go there except for farming. It’s an almost pointless zone. It doesn’t even count towards map completion, and there’s no hearts. I don’t need map completion to go to a zone. I go there to farm the young karka for shells and a chance at the minis, but for most people it has nothing.

The vet karkas don’t drop anything. You need a couple people to kill them in a timely manner, and It’s just ridiculous to take that long to kill something and you can literally get NOTHING despite actually getting kill credit. They’re not that hard to kill though, Just dodge the roll move, wipe the retaliation boon and it’s just a matter of killing them fast.

But I do like farming the shells, mini-pet chance, and jump puzzle rewards.