So whose actually having fun?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

I am…

I started out not knowing anything about Guild Wars. I never played the origional game, i’ve not been following the development of the game over the years other than picking up a few things here and there on forums or in magazines. I wanted to come to the game with as few a expectations as possible after being very dissapointed by the way previous mmo’s went.

I wasn’t overly impressed when I first started playing. Nothing really grabbed my interest and a deleted my first three characters very quickly. I was thinking ‘This is no better than Rift or Aion’ and I was pretty much ‘meh’ about the game with my eyes straying to my WAR and WOW icons in the task bar. I stayed with it though and found a character I liked but even then I wasnt overly impressed with the game.

As that’s gone on though i’ve started to appreciate the game a lot more. There are nice features that i’ve not seen elsewhere before. (though they may exist). I like the way the combat works with different weapons and combinations giving different skills, as well as the abilityt to swap weapon loads in combat. I’ve liked the way that resources and kills are there for everyone to benefit from. No one (yet) has gotten the kitten over me jumping in to one of their fights and helping out or getting to a resource node first. The shared resource bank is very cool as well.

I like the exploration, though I think it can be improved with more hidden places to discover. The rewards for exploring are a decent incentive to do it, and there are some enjoyable areas to fight in as a result. It also makes you appreciate how big the world is. It’s a shame that it’s not truly open world though.

Scaling down is a brilliant idea. Not only can I always have meaningful play in a favourite zone but it’s a great way to encourage people to help each other out. (i’ve also suggested scaling up as a means of removing the grind for new gear issue)

So overall, the more i’m playing the more fun i’m having at the moment. Sure, there are always things that can be improved and there are some annoying features, but with all the threads on the forums covering these issues, I thought it would make a nice change of pace to hear about the aspects of the game people are enjoying.

Posted by: Ptaki.3715

Ptaki.3715

I’m having a ton of fun. Just completed the first Orr zone with my second character. Lvl 75 now. Was a blast.

Posted by: JarekCyphus.7068

JarekCyphus.7068

I was having fun until the WoW crowd showed up demanding I link my gear every time I want to run a dungeon or instance. Now the narcissism of elitist gamers has run off the rest of my guild to other games, and the players who are left are either too casual or too hardcore of roleplayers to provide a meaningful team orientation.

I’m not sure if it’s occurred to some people yet, but in Guild Wars (1 or 2), your gear doesn’t have to be uber to win; the player does. When some of the basement-dwelling hardcore gamers learn to get over themselves—or return to WoW—some common sense might pervade the atmosphere of Lion’s Arch once again.

Judges of the Tarnished Coast
Sagardon Kahn – Guardian
Hagalaz Kahn – Warrior

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I had a blast rounding up four of my guildmates today and doing Ascalon Catacombs, Story Mode. I got almost absolutely no loot worth mentioning, but I got to put boulders through King Adelbern’s face so that’s a plus in my book.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Ptaki.3715

Ptaki.3715

I was having fun until the WoW crowd showed up demanding I link my gear every time I want to run a dungeon or instance. Now the narcissism of elitist gamers has run off the rest of my guild to other games, and the players who are left are either too casual or too hardcore of roleplayers to provide a meaningful team orientation.

I’m not sure if it’s occurred to some people yet, but in Guild Wars (1 or 2), your gear doesn’t have to be uber to win; the player does. When some of the basement-dwelling hardcore gamers learn to get over themselves—or return to WoW—some common sense might pervade the atmosphere of Lion’s Arch once again.

If you’re on Yaks or I see you in overflow I’ll play with you. Use whatever gear you want. I never ask. I just have fun. People who do what you said I don’t play with.

Posted by: Southern Lord.7254

Southern Lord.7254

I’m loving the game.

My only issue is with PvE difficulty at the minute – some areas I faceroll, and some like Kessex Hills are an absolute nitemare with really high respawn rates.

It took me about 30 minutes yesterday to destroy that road block by myself as the 8 or so bandits would start respawning after I had killed about 4 or the group.

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

I have fun every day. I wandered into tribulation rift jumping puzzle and spent forever looking at the environment. This game blows my mind every time I log on. When I hear about an event I am excited every day until it goes live. I literally can’t understand the mass of complaints. There is of coarse things I can think of that would make my gameplay more enjoyable, but as is this game is insane.

Posted by: Cyrus.8261

Cyrus.8261

I’m having a great time each day I get around to playing some. Whatever I feel like doing, I can pick an alt and go do it. There’s so much to do and discover and the only thing I’m a bit disappointed in is the very low drop rate of fine crafting mats (and the slow gold acquisition) that’s preventing me from crafting more gear for my characters.

Posted by: Equanim.5471

Equanim.5471

I’m having a blast. I’ve been taking my time with a few different characters, playing whichever i feel like. I’ve done a bit of everything, including running fractals on sub 20 characters and it’s all been great.