So, yeah I'll say it. Any working DPS meter mods out?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

Instead of googling this, which I probably should have done, I decided to interact with the community instead.

Are there any working personal DPS meters out there? No. I don’t play WoW. I just want to know what MY OWN damage is during combat for building and testing reasons.

One exist yet?

Posted by: Tureilim.5209

Tureilim.5209

Dont even know if those are frowned on by Anet or not. Couldn’t tell ya m’self.

Who am I to bridle if I’m forced to be an idol?
If they say that I’m a God, THAT’S WHAT I AM!

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

The general policy about add-ons is that you should not use add-ons. That said you probably came to the wrong place with this request.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

mods arent allowed in GW2 if I understand the EULA correctly

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

If I recall correctly, the ‘Combat’ chat tab keeps track of damage numbers and timing. Not, perhaps, with the same degree of exhaustive anal-retentiveness of a third-party mod, but it also works without breaking the EULA and/or infuriating players.

Also, great fuzzy kittens no. We do not need GW2 turning into a WoW-style mod party where the game is literally incomplete without a dozen ‘must-have!’ Third-party functions bolted onto it like some twisted Mr. Potato head mock-up. That junk can stay firmly in Blizzard’s camp, thank you very much.

Posted by: Rzep.4592

Rzep.4592

Dps meter is anti-casual so I’d not hold my breath. Sure would be nice.

Posted by: Gank.4957

Gank.4957

Use the PvP steady weapons to test builds and stuff. A DPS meter will just change the game into a dps race which is not how dungeons are supposed to be tackled at ALL.

Posted by: Doctor Ivo Robotnik.3879

Doctor Ivo Robotnik.3879

Dear God, I hope not.

We don’t need inflated egos.

Posted by: Loki.5891

Loki.5891

Dear God, I hope not.

Yeah we like narrow-minded people who only see a single use for DPS meters

Posted by: Doctor Ivo Robotnik.3879

Doctor Ivo Robotnik.3879

It will happen far more often and way more quickly than you would realize.

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

Even if there are no damage meter mods, and even if Anet doesnt allow them you can still kinda put something together. I just hope your build isnt heavy on conditions :P

Go to your combat log tab, make sure time stamps are turned on. Find a combat dummy or something, do a full skill rotation or figure out a short dps cycle. Add up the damage from the combat log and divide by however long the cycle was. If you dont mind adding up all the numbers and the combat dummy has infinite health you could dps for a full minute then divide by 60. But obviously you have more numbers to add. So this is why you want to keep your cycle as short as possible just for figuring out your dps.

Thieves are the only profession that has a resource pool and no CD’s. For them you can probably dps over the course of 15 seconds +/- and add up the damage done, and divide by how long you were attacking for to get your per second numbers.

Also, i tried to copy text from the combat log and chat log but it didnt work. Feel free to try yourself in case i messed up.

EDIT: but do keep in mind that there is no trinity in this game. So everyone is their own tank and their own healer in addition to dps. Make sure to put equal focus on your own survival abilities and not just dps.

(edited by cosmatman.9306)

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Not allowed. /thread

Posted by: Orionlight.1073

Orionlight.1073

I would like it.. I see the negatives as well. Still personally I would like one.

In hoc signo vinces! Psalm 144:1

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

It’s not that the meter is “anti-casual,” it’s anti-skill and anti-social. DPS meters cause folks to tunnel vision on their “leet DPS #’s” rather than focusing on clearing the dungeon.

I can see it now, a group leaving behind a well-specced skilled elementalist that AOE heals the group, drops AOE boons on them, crowd-controls, and swiftly clears conditions from everyone (all while putting up pretty good DPS) for that “L33T” 30 fire specced one that never switches attunements simply because he/she fills the DPS meter by 15% more…

{As an aside, I would love the addition on an in-game DPS meter on the combat dummies in the mists so that one can test/practice PvP burst rotations and see which one drops targets faster. Of course things never go as planned when facing a real target, but it still would be nice to know.}

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

There wasn’t any DPS meters in GW1 so there is likely to be none in GW2. However there was a “Master of Damage” NPC that calculated your damage and highest hit when you attacked him, and then told you how long it took. Difference is since it wasn’t an add on, you use it anywhere you wanted.

Rzep.4592

I can see it now, a group leaving behind a well-specced skilled elementalist that AOE heals the group, drops AOE boons on them, crowd-controls, and swiftly clears conditions from everyone (all while putting up pretty good DPS) for that “L33T” 30 fire specced one that never switches attunements simply because he/she fills the DPS meter by 15% more…

That is why any decent dps meter tracks all those things. As for antisocial, well, internet is antisocial anyway.
Anti-casual is preciselly the reason why it is not implemented I think. Right now no way to check who has subpar gear, who autoattacks all the time and fails with dodges regularly. Why is that? So that no feelings get hurt, everyone is a “winnar” and is “speciul” snowflake.

(edited by Rzep.4592)

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Dear God, I hope not.

What use would a DPS meter have, in a game without dedicated roles?

Posted by: Manji.3801

Manji.3801

DPS meter is not bad, it’s a good tool for optimizing one’s spec, one’s playstyle, the group as a whole …. but the community starts to worship it like it was the holy book…. therefore I’m against it … at least in GW2, where there is (almost) no need for this

Posted by: Fumbler.1384

Fumbler.1384

How about we see actual numbers on ally and enemy health bars before we get a dps meter. Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

Posted by: Tallenn.9218

Tallenn.9218

As far as I can tell, the combat chat does not write to any kind of log, at least not accessible to the player, so it doesn’t appear there is really any way to create a dps meter- even one that’s not real time.

Posted by: Quintal.6594

Quintal.6594

I’d like something, perhaps just a master of damage like GW1. It’s currently very hard to judge a power/crit build vs a condition build with any degree of accuracy, especially with tooltips not reporting correct damage for conditions (does not account for +duration)

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

Oh the irony of “competitive” players wanting to use addons. and if that wasn’t funny enough, moaning about the dungeons being too hard (yeah the “nerf the game plz” trend has already started…)

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

As for antisocial, well, internet is antisocial anyway.

Speak for yourself. This game isn’t.

Anti-casual is preciselly the reason why it is not implemented I think. Right now no way to check who has subpar gear, who autoattacks all the time and fails with dodges regularly. Why is that? So that no feelings get hurt, everyone is a “winnar” and is “speciul” snowflake.

This has nothing to do with being anti-casual. It may actually be more casual because it makes it easy for you to tell how to do more damage. Either way, it just doesn’t belong in the game. Were it for me, we’d remove all number indicators from the game to cut all of the mathematical min-maxing crap community. Poor relic from tabletop RPGs.

Rzep.4592

That is why any decent dps meter tracks all those things. As for antisocial, well, internet is antisocial anyway.

Nah. kitten is pretty dumb. Has nothing to do with “anti-casual” or thinking you’re a pro gamer (you aren’t). DPS meters aren’t worth it.

So wanting to know which player doesn’t even bother to do anything other than autoattack is being “pro gamer”? By that definition yes, half of gaming population is “pro”. What is next, you will call me elitist because Id like to know which skill sets does most damage for me?
Damage meters are very popular, because guess what, most people like them.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Master-of-Damage seems like a good approach to answer questions about effectiveness.

Can we save a log of our combat tab?

Posted by: Archetype.3582

Archetype.3582

Same thing in every game. One groups wants a DPS meter and another group screams “No, no, DPS race”, but in the end a DPS meter is always released. I guess we’ll see if this holds true for GW2.

Posted by: Varl.3269

Varl.3269

Yeah it will probably happen whether we want it to or not. Luckily in this game players doing harder content are expected to do much more than just full-on dps.

Posted by: MKJoker.8372

MKJoker.8372

As long as there are no Enrage timers, I don’t think it’ll be in this game. The whole reason for DPS meters were to see who needed to come up par for a certain fight to meet the minimum requirement for enrage timers.

Eochaidh.4106

Yeah it will probably happen whether we want it to or not. Luckily in this game players doing harder content are expected to do much more than just full-on dps.

Since when is “it happens in all MMORPGs” is an excuse for “it’ll happen in GW2”? This is not exactly a MMORPG to follow trends.

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

Since when is “it happens in all MMORPGs” is an excuse for “it’ll happen in GW2”? This is not exactly a MMORPG to follow trends.

Especially since the lack of a monthly fee sort of curbs the ‘power’ of whiny wowkiddies…

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Meters are why we have scads of pure dps-specced players dropping dead every 10 seconds in dungeons right now. These are, by and large, former dps meter addicts who think they can blast their way through an encounter that actually requires far more than fire power.

Stop using that “anti-casual” banner as an excuse for demanding a license to bully.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Make a training are, put dummies in there that give you an exact breakdown and you may optimize. No one gets hurt.

Bsquared.3421

A decent DPS meter will track when I blind a mob right before their high-dmg attack so that my buddy doesn’t get face-smacked?
A decent DPS meter will track when I use my blast-finisher in the fire-field I just laid down kittening my own DPS for a few seconds but buffing the rest of the groups?
A decent DPS meter will track when I use burning retreat in front of my ranger buddy to not only avoid dmg myself but buff his dps in the process?
A decent DPS meter will track when I switch to earth attunement providing a toughness boon to the group right before incoming damage?

As someone else said, DPS meters are designed for WoW raiding back when bosses had enrage timers and there was a time-element to downing the boss, I know cause I ran one back in the day and found it obnoxious. All-in-all, a measure of a good player is how easily his or her groups clears the dungeon by whatever means necessary, not by how much X dmg per Y time he/she can pump out.

Posted by: SirRobin.9428

SirRobin.9428

I’m hoping for a mod to help with the TP. I always have a terrible time with AH type places and can use every bit of help I can get.

who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor
who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol
and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill!

Bsquared.3421

Make a training are, put dummies in there that give you an exact breakdown and you may optimize. No one gets hurt.

^this. I suggest this in my first post as well.

A meter on the training dummies in the mists to try out specs/weapon setups, blast rotations, etc., is a fine idea. I fully support it.

Turning every dungeon recap into “WoW, I’m leetsauce, I did over 9,000 thousand dmg per second in that dungeon even though we wiped 42 times” is not a good idea.

Rzep.4592

Meters are why we have scads of pure dps-specced players dropping dead every 10 seconds in dungeons right now. These are, by and large, former dps meter addicts who think they can blast their way through an encounter that actually requires far more than fire power.

Stop using that “anti-casual” banner as an excuse for demanding a license to bully.

But even without damage meter you get people speccing purely for dps. This will never change. Damage is what most people like. This is not caused by addiction to dps meters. Should have thought about that before removing tanks/healers I guess. All you get is dps roles in this game and in that case people will indeed build for what their classes were designed for, damage. You will not change that mentality, ever unless for example death would be painfully expensive.

License to bully huh. When someone will say my dps will suck that does not hurt my feelings I am affraid. I am not sensitive to that.
What I am sensitive to are people who waste and do not respect my time, be it in games or in real life. So afkers, autoatackers or generally really bad players who do 10% of damage they should, people who don’t care about moving out of fire. People who don’t care about reading tooltips. So I hate when games for example do now allow me to kick such players (as in game I shall not name) because they implemented various systems that protected their “feelings” but not my time. Or in this case system that will not allow me to judge someone’s performance.
By the way I am not even that demanding or “pro” like someone sugested. In game I shall not name I had no problem that new player did 40-50% damage he should have. Problem started when at lvl 85 I saw someone doing 2k dps. Since I could not kick because of the “feelings” I had to leave and take 30m debuff since I was tanking. I really wish I exxagerated with that 2k, I didn’t.

Meters to measure both dps, damage intake, dodge fails, healing etc are important if you want to decide who to play with. Which is a right I like to have in games.

As to judging player by how good group performs. How are you supposed to know who is the weakest link without any performance measurement?

Posted by: Art.7628

Art.7628

Lets not turn this into the DPS meter thread from SWTOR.

DPS meters are detrimental. This game is highly based on skill so they will not be needed as much as games like WoW when gauging performance, but it is a MUST have for guild leaders like myself who need to see which member is doing his job.

It also helps gauge encounters professionally and create offline communities via theory crafting.

There are other benefits as well. Naysayers, please do not look at DPS meters as a simple thing. They are not and to say you fear egos or people gauging your performance through them, do not raid or group with any one hardcore. It is as simple as that. I would not be the player I am today without the leaders who pushed me to do better and gave me detrimental advice based on what they reviewed from things such as DPS meters.

Eochaidh.4106

Meters to measure both dps, damage intake, dodge fails, healing etc are important if you want to decide who to play with. Which is a right I like to have in games.

Go back to WoW then. This does not go along with the game philosophy. And why in the world do you want meters for “dodge fails”, “damage intake”, “healing”? Those make zero sense in this game.

Varl.3269

How is this NOT a game to follow trends? Just because the game itself is different, the players are the same and if there’s enough demand for something and it’s possible to do, it will happen. We already have gold selling, powerleveling services, quick 1-400 crafting guides, 1-80 leveling guides, databases for recipes, detailed maps with mob spawns and the like, I can go on forever. The same tools we end up with for other games will be available here if it’s possible to do.

Posted by: OGSethskills.1708

OGSethskills.1708

You say that like it’s a bad thing. Making GW2 into a casual game, which it isn’t directly. It’s both casual and advanced.

Dungeons are far from casual, world bosses are far from casual, pvp is certainly FAR from casual.

The true “HARDCORE” mmo is EVE OnlIne.

Everything else is lol at best.

Eochaidh.4106

How is this NOT a game to follow trends? Just because the game itself is different, the players are the same and if there’s enough demand for something and it’s possible to do, it will happen. We already have gold selling, powerleveling services, quick 1-400 crafting guides, 1-80 leveling guides, databases for recipes, detailed maps with mob spawns and the like, I can go on forever. The same tools we end up with for other games will be available here if it’s possible to do.

Just because there are gold sellers and people power leveling it does not mean that developers are going to follow trends just for the sake of it. Do you even know anything about the game you’re playing? Go watch their MMO manifesto please. It seems like no one here understands the philosophy behind the team. This game is about questioning everything other MMORPGs have done, not just clone everything for the sake of it. If you want a WoW experuence, go back to it, this is not the place.

Rzep.4592

Go back to WoW then. This does not go along with the game philosophy. And why in the world do you want meters for “dodge fails”, “damage intake”, “healing”? Those make zero sense in this game.

Telling me to go back to wow. Now that is something new.
Please inform me about that game philosophy you are talking about that this not go along with. I thought avoiding really bad players (not average ones, just really bad) or trying to improve ones skills was universal in any game.

Why would I want meters for those skills you ask. Well, if someone fails to dodge 100% special attacks that means you are essentialy playing 4 player dungeon, not 5 player one especially during boss fights. If he is down he is not doing dps, he is not buffing or healing anyone, he wastes your efforts and time.
Healing could show “healing others” cattegory, you would know the difference between players who bothered to try and aoe heal others when needed and those who did not. If for example there would be requirement to interrupt casts (which would be nice btw) you can see who bothers and who doesn’t.

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

In a game where everyone is technically a DPS this would only cause problems as the majority of people cannot/will not use it properly.

Man cannot live by DPS alone in GW2, so how much you put out here is only useful for comparing your self to someone else in a static environment, which is worthless.

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Loki.5891

Loki.5891

@Usage of DPS Meters: Well if you die every 5 seconds your high DPS won’t do much and your overall DPS will drop anyway :P So of course if people only rely on some DPS Meter and die often they fail, even possible that lower-dps-builds that actually survive to do their DPS end up being better
Now the problem is supporters which do less dmg but maybe some healing and removing conditions and such ^^"

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

An armory style system that lets you look up someones gear and stats is on the way. The extended experience stuff all took a back seat to launch and ironing out existing systems, but we are seeing it all being slowly added. Beginning with these forums.

Have you played explorable mode dungeons yet? Did you play PvP in the original GW? ArenaNet doesn’t care about your feelings. They don’t give a kitten if you feel special. Their stance has pretty much always been, if you aren’t good enough at PvP then get better. If there’s a build that is giving you trouble, figure out how to beat it. If you want to look shiny and unique, then earn it.

I can’t tell if your total misconception is coming from some sort of bias or unfamiliarity with the game or developers. But once you finish story mode, the hand-holding stops and Anet sits back and smiles while players enrage each other with new and cheesy ways to murder one another until a counter is discovered, and their end game dungeons invite you in and then spit your character back out leaving their kittens sore for days.

Anyways, as other people have said, there is a huge portion of the player base that still cant figure out the lack of tank/healer/Dps thing. Just last night I seen “Tank LFG AC SM”. That guy will probably be looking for a while. There are even more players that are totally confused as to why they die all the time and why the ele or guardian aren’t “keeping healz on them”. Not kidding here folks. Cant make this stuff up.

Something like a DPS meter isn’t needed until people figure out how to be accountable for their own survivability and until they figure out how to actually play their class. I’m normally all for options and information analysis. But in this case, there is an ocean of kitten-hat players out there that actually are pretty “speciul” in the way they haven’t realized yet this isn’t their old MMO and giving them a tool from their old mmo that they reflexively view as a personal bench-mark and comparative classification metric is a horrible horrible idea.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Eochaidh.4106

Telling me to go back to wow. Now that is something new.
Please inform me about that game philosophy you are talking about that this not go along with. I thought avoiding really bad players (not average ones, just really bad) or trying to improve ones skills was universal in any game.

The philosophy is that anyone can be an useful asset to a group and that you don’t have to wait forever to form a good team to play the game. If you want a team with really good synergy with you, join a guild and get some friends. This is not a game for bragging idiocy, team drama and kitten bars.

Why would I want meters for those skills you ask. Well, if someone fails to dodge 100% special attacks that means you are essentialy playing 4 player dungeon, not 5 player one especially during boss fights.

You do realize people dodge not only to directly dodge attacks or have “evade” show up on their character, right? It is also used for avoiding bad situations before they even happen and quick relocation. Such a meter would be useless.

If he is down he is not doing dps, he is not buffing or healing anyone, he wastes your efforts and time.

Except that you can bring him back up to increase the overall dps once more. Some builds are more easily downed than others, obviously.

Healing could show “healing others” cattegory, you would know the difference between players who bothered to try and aoe heal others when needed and those who did not. If for example there would be requirement to interrupt casts (which would be nice btw) you can see who bothers and who doesn’t.

Why not just ask them if they have supportive abilities instead? And there are no pure “healers” in this game, it’s unreliable. You are going to die if you intend to rely on people with healing bars.

Posted by: daemonlama.5413

daemonlama.5413

An armory style system that lets you look up someones gear and stats is on the way. The extended experience stuff all took a back seat to launch and ironing out existing systems, but we are seeing it all being slowly added. Beginning with these forums.

Have you played explorable mode dungeons yet? Did you play PvP in the original GW? ArenaNet doesn’t care about your feelings. They don’t give a kitten if you feel special. Their stance has pretty much always been, if you aren’t good enough at PvP then get better. If there’s a build that is giving you trouble, figure out how to beat it. If you want to look shiny and unique, then earn it.

I can’t tell if your total misconception is coming from some sort of bias or unfamiliarity with the game or developers. But once you finish story mode, the hand-holding stops and Anet sits back and smiles while players enrage each other with new and cheesy ways to murder one another until a counter is discovered, and their end game dungeons invite you in and then spit your character back out leaving their kittens sore for days.

Anyways, as other people have said, there is a huge portion of the player base that still cant figure out the lack of tank/healer/Dps thing. Just last night I seen “Tank LFG AC SM”. That guy will probably be looking for a while. There are even more players that are totally confused as to why they die all the time and why the ele or guardian aren’t “keeping healz on them”. Not kidding here folks. Cant make this stuff up.

Something like a DPS meter isn’t needed until people figure out how to be accountable for their own survivability and until they figure out how to actually play their class. I’m normally all for options and information analysis. But in this case, there is an ocean of kitten-hat players out there that actually are pretty “speciul” in the way they haven’t realized yet this isn’t their old MMO and giving them a tool from their old mmo that they reflexively view as a personal bench-mark and comparative classification metric is a horrible horrible idea.

QFT

Rzep.4592

What is it with kittens?
The good point someone already made was that with dps meter, or more like “damage done” meter comes everything else really. Since it is you who is responsible for your own survival, well then if you decide to put zero in survivalibity, fail every single dodge then guess what. You will be last on “damage done” list because you can’t dps when you are dead. Suddenly “damage done” meter becomes overall how much you did in dungeon meter.

I hate armory as much as gear scoring so that is completely another subject.
Ultimately it is this. There should be in game poll. With simple question, do you want damage meters or not. What majority wants they should implement.

Posted by: johnnycosmic.9130

johnnycosmic.9130

If I recall correctly, the ‘Combat’ chat tab keeps track of damage numbers and timing. Not, perhaps, with the same degree of exhaustive anal-retentiveness of a third-party mod, but it also works without breaking the EULA and/or infuriating players.

Also, great fuzzy kittens no. We do not need GW2 turning into a WoW-style mod party where the game is literally incomplete without a dozen ‘must-have!’ Third-party functions bolted onto it like some twisted Mr. Potato head mock-up. That junk can stay firmly in Blizzard’s camp, thank you very much.

I like the way this guy thinks, this sums up my feelings pretty good.

Varl.3269

Just because there are gold sellers and people power leveling it does not mean that developers are going to follow trends just for the sake of it. Do you even know anything about the game you’re playing? Go watch their MMO manifesto please. It seems like no one here understands the philosophy behind the team. This game is about questioning everything other MMORPGs have done, not just clone everything for the sake of it. If you want a WoW experuence, go back to it, this is not the place.

How does this have anything at all to do with the developers? They aren’t the one’s cranking out DPS meters. Also I don’t remember ever saying that I wanted them, only that they would happen regardless of whether or not you “go back to wow” types want them or not. Way to show your true colors, though.