Sodapoppin and GW2

Sodapoppin and GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wiperas.7240

Wiperas.7240

Sodapoppin one of the most popular streamers starting playing GW2 recently and the game is constantly 4rth place on twitch. I think it will give some more publicity to this game

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Syndarin Eledhwen.6513

Syndarin Eledhwen.6513

actually it would be clever from anet to approach with Sodapoppin and invite him to the HoT beta like they did it with Docgotgame. Sodapoppin is really popular and have on primetime around 16k viewers.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Yeah that game totally needs more “twitch” people…. not.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Doesn’t matter, ppl gonna stream overrated games as always. LoL,Hearthstone and WoW…

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i dont see a bad thing about it?

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Sodapoppin and GW2

kokiman.2364

Maybe you should take a look at the twitchchat once in a while and you will know what I mean.

GuildWars 2

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Who?

Sounds like he might be one of those that simply jumps from game to game, which is usually not all that good publicity to the game developers, since that would more or less look like the streamer (which have quite a bit of influence) thinks the game sucks, which might deter people from buying it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Who?

Sounds like he might be one of those that simply jumps from game to game, which is usually not all that good publicity to the game developers, since that would more or less look like the streamer (which have quite a bit of influence) thinks the game sucks, which might deter people from buying it.

Sodapoppin gets paid by game studios to stream their games which is why he hops around a lot. He has an audience that enjoys his gameplay + commentary and presentation who watch him not for the game, but for his personality and entertainment. Hence, game studios pay him to stream their games. There are quite a few very large streamers who get paid to stream games that are about to launch or are at launch to get publicity on Twitch due to this.

Note – I’m not saying that Anet is paying him in this case (it’s possible) but that’s what Sodapoppin does.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Ah, yet another reason to not wanting ArenaNet to give him more publicity then.

He takes money from companies, and yet he also gets a massive amount of money from donation made to the stream.

People taking money from companies to advertise stuff in the first place is rather bad in my eyes, and it would feel quite false, since he would basically be paid to play, rather than playing it because he wants to.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sodapoppin and GW2

Raif.9507

He isn’t “taking money” from companies to advertise stuff – he’s being paid to give them a service, namely play their game. It’s the same thing that clothing companies do in paying a movie/pop celebrity to endorse their stuff and do a commercial. In this case a Twitch “celebrity” is getting paid to advertise and show off a game. It’s a contract where both sides get something, he isn’t just saying “pay me or I won’t play it”.

Company wants a service -> go to advertising company or famous person to endorse/market/publicize their commodity -> pay said person for the service.

As for the donations… people do what they want with the money. I doubt he asks for the money as he gets paid well enough by Twitch and other sources to stream and endorse their items.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

And here we are… buying the game and playing for free. Dreamjob :’(

Sodapoppin and GW2

kokiman.2364

Not really, you have nothing to put on your resumee once you are done with twitch.

GuildWars 2

Sodapoppin and GW2

Syndarin Eledhwen.6513

i think you don’t know how a mmorpg is working..if nobody is playing guild wars there will be no new features/updates cuz not profitable at all. So a streamer like sodapoppin could make the game more famous which generate a bigger playerbase.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Raif.9507

Not really, you have nothing to put on your resumee once you are done with twitch.

Considering the amount of money some of these streamers make… I’m not 100% sure they need an “after Twitch” plan.

Some of them don’t even know how much money they have in the bank, just that it’s so much money that they don’t need they’ve stopped keeping track.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Ah, yet another reason to not wanting ArenaNet to give him more publicity then.

He takes money from companies, and yet he also gets a massive amount of money from donation made to the stream.

People taking money from companies to advertise stuff in the first place is rather bad in my eyes, and it would feel quite false, since he would basically be paid to play, rather than playing it because he wants to.

Wow this is the worst misreading of Streaming I’ve ever seen. Let’s Plays and the sort are perfectly legal and ethical ways to make money, being deemed under the same protections as reviews or remixing.

That and, 0_o it’s really weird to be taking the company side on this. Lol anet’s not some kid getting bullied by some guy on twitch, they’re a company that make games that are perfectly fine to play and stream. Hell, they actively promote this stuff.

Sodapoppin and GW2

kokiman.2364

i think you don’t know how a mmorpg is working..if nobody is playing guild wars there will be no new features/updates cuz not profitable at all. So a streamer like sodapoppin could make the game more famous which generate a bigger playerbase.

Look at what happened to Mobas once they became really popular..

GuildWars 2

Sodapoppin and GW2

Syndarin Eledhwen.6513

Look at what happened to Mobas once they became really popular..

Tell me more? For me as PvP player is game-popularity one of the most important things….no popularity and no interested viewers = no esports.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

actually it would be clever from anet to approach with Sodapoppin and invite him to the HoT beta like they did it with Docgotgame. Sodapoppin is really popular and have on primetime around 16k viewers.

I don’t think that would be such a great idea, he doesn’t know much about the game, or maybe it would. /shrug.

And he already has a skewed view of the game, due to people mailing him tons of stuff. At level 15 or so he had 450+g, 100ectos, a few exotics, and various other things.

Edit: On second thought, the publicity would probably triumph over all of that, so may be a good idea. I dunno :d

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

(edited by Lambent.6375)

Sodapoppin and GW2

Syndarin Eledhwen.6513

I don’t think that would be such a great idea, he doesn’t know much about the game, or maybe it would. /shrug.

And he already has a skewed view of the game, due to people mailing him tons of stuff. At level 15 or so he had 450+g, 100ectos, a few exotics, and various other things.

so beginners are not good for the game? he would get knowledge about the game pretty fast…especially cause he is really skilled player (just look at his old WoW arena gameplays)

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

so beginners are not good for the game? he would get knowledge about the game pretty fast…especially cause he is really skilled player (just look at his old WoW arena gameplays)

I edited my above post before seeing this.

It’s not that I don’t think beginners aren’t good for the game, just saying that it’s possible that he wouldn’t give HoT a fair chance since he doesn’t know much about Gw2 in general, combined with the fact that he is getting a ton of stuff handed to him, he may not be as motivated to do some things.

I changed my opinion though, the above explanation is just why I originally had doubts.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Fenryr.1427

Fenryr.1427

i personally find sodapoppin to be extremely annoying.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Maybe you should take a look at the twitchchat once in a while and you will know what I mean.

As if in-game chat is any less cringe-inducing

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

This.

Also, this severely irritates me.

Attachments:

Sodapoppin and GW2

Orangensaft.7139

This.

that filename xD
someone is jelly of the 2.8k gold :P

but yeh… he wont experience the game in the best way since he doesnt know the value of things

26x lvl 80 Characters

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

This.

Two-thousand…eight…omg…

T_T

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Graybes.8251

Graybes.8251

It’s funny seeing people in this thread get upset that this game is getting some publicity from a very popular streamer. It’s also funny seeing people act like their precious game is going to suddenly become tainted because of this. These types of people are just as bad as the people they claim will come and “taint” their game. New players should always be welcome in games like this where the population drives the success of the game.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

He just bought incinerator at lvl 37 :P

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

He just bought incinerator at lvl 37 :P

kitten

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Dakinia.8923

Dakinia.8923

In regards to Sodapoppin’s stream chat I totally agree with you but most stream chats are no where near that bad. I am all for GW2 getting more attention on Twitch but cringed when I saw Sodapoppin streaming it, the game definitely doesn’t need his viewers in the game.

Side note: Sodapoppin is suppose to be a really nice guy in real life but his online persona not so much.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: DesolateDunes.9526

DesolateDunes.9526

It’s funny seeing people in this thread get upset that this game is getting some publicity from a very popular streamer. It’s also funny seeing people act like their precious game is going to suddenly become tainted because of this. These types of people are just as bad as the people they claim will come and “taint” their game. New players should always be welcome in games like this where the population drives the success of the game.

You’re right to some degree, but with “taint” he maybe meant that Soda brings, how can I say this without sounding harsh, a large number of snobby trigger happy people into his streams. They act and sound like they broke out of a youth correctional facility.

I can’t count the amount of times I facepalmed whilst watching his GW2 stream this past few days. I think I got a headache for Christ’s sake.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Ezra.5049

Ezra.5049

Thank you! Finally someone with a bit of sense.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

I watched him stream for the first time today after hearing lots of bad things about him. Honestly, he seems like a nice guy and is genuinely enjoying the game. He is also cursing less and is generally much more positive than many other top streamers. Concerning the toxic players he might bring to the game; there seem to be plenty of those already judging by the amount of kittens following him around everywhere trying to ruin his experience.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

for a second i thought the title was ‘Shoop da woop and GW2’

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

Im more interested in how sodapoppin got the minimap in the upper right corner

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Sodapoppin and GW2

Orangensaft.7139

he pulled it up with his cursor?
(just grab the top edge of the minimap and pull it up)
try it it takes 1 second and is easy peasy

26x lvl 80 Characters

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

I didnt think the UI could be changed like that 0.o
EDIT: I just tried it , its not movable , it just expands
EDIT 2: It can be moved if you put cursor between the icons of the side bar of the minimap

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

(edited by Bensozia.8071)

Sodapoppin and GW2

Orangensaft.7139

I didnt think the UI could be changed like that 0.o
EDIT: I just tried it , its not movable , it just expands
EDIT 2: It can be moved if you put cursor between the icons of the side bar of the minimap

its the same
the only difference is that
when you grap the sidebar you already the the spot where it will be on the top right corner because it gets framed by white lines

you can still grab the top edge of the minimap and just pull it to the corner
it just wont move until you actually have moved your cursor to the top

26x lvl 80 Characters

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I watched him stream for the first time today after hearing lots of bad things about him. Honestly, he seems like a nice guy and is genuinely enjoying the game. He is also cursing less and is generally much more positive than many other top streamers. Concerning the toxic players he might bring to the game; there seem to be plenty of those already judging by the amount of kittens following him around everywhere trying to ruin his experience.

Cursing less, we must have been watching different streams.

His stream is nothing special,

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

sigh All the people in this thread not wanting more players cause they think the players will be toxic to the commit….

Any PR is good PR.

First off, the amount of people who actually participate in twitch chat is a relatively small percentage of the people watching the stream and in no way reflective the average viewer of a stream. The amount of trolls in chat is even less. In no way does chat portray the average viewer. Most people who watch streams are just ordinary gamers. They do not participate in the twitch chat because there is absolutely no point in doing so.

Second off, people in chat understand that there are ZERO consequences for what they say. Sure they can be banned or whatever, but it takes less than a minute to make a new account. The people who troll and are toxic in chat do it to get a reaction out of others like the people in this thread. However, when these same people are put into a situation where there are consequences to their actions, most will behave like normal individuals. Guild Wars 2 is a game where how you act will have a negative impact on your image because people do remember and trolling will just get you kicked out of your guild and blocked by people.

Honestly, its good he is streaming this game and giving it the attention it deserves. I welcome new people with open arms, because overtime the trolls will leave or learn and the community will only improve and grow.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

This is an awesome thing for GW2.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

This is an awesome thing for GW2.

Some clown with a week old account has a lagendary. This highlights the main issue with the game in my eyes Guild Wars 2 was designed to be cash wars 2.

He’s a streamer…. Yay.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Publicity is publicity.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: TheAngryDuckling.5481

TheAngryDuckling.5481

+1 Totally agree

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

He started sPvP and it seems he really likes it.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

He started sPvP and it seems he really likes it.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Inverjas.1837

Inverjas.1837

New viewers might have to take him with a pinch of salt, but a lot of the way he acts is due to the trolls he’s suffered for many years, and comparing his chat with many other big streamers, there is not much difference. Twitch chat has always been best to ignore.

I’d never of known this game without seeing him play it, and now I own the game myself.. and I bet many others follow suit, so that’s positive surely?

10 Years in WoW, I guess its time for a new adventure, looking forward to this one :]

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

New viewers might have to take him with a pinch of salt, but a lot of the way he acts is due to the trolls he’s suffered for many years, and comparing his chat with many other big streamers, there is not much difference. Twitch chat has also been best to ignore.

I’d never of known this game without seeing him play it, and now I own the game myself.. and I bet many others follow suit, so that’s positive surely?

10 Years in WoW, I guess its time for a new adventure, looking forward to this one :]

This ^^^ is why something of this sort is a good thing.

Welcome to the game.

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Pezz.4758

Pezz.4758

I also just bought the game and started because i saw it on Sodas stream. Im not a huge Soda fan but tune in from time to time, Gw2 was so off my radar i would have never known about the sale.

Now? best 15 bucks i can ever remember spending on a game. I easily would have paid full price if i knew it was this good

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

I also just bought the game and started because i saw it on Sodas stream. Im not a huge Soda fan but tune in from time to time, Gw2 was so off my radar i would have never known about the sale.

Now? best 15 bucks i can ever remember spending on a game. I easily would have paid full price if i knew it was this good

Glad to have you here! Hope you enjoy your time in Tyria.

Baer

Sodapoppin and GW2

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

My Wolf sense of smell is picking up the scent of bleep bleep. I don’t know if these are actual fans of this person or part of a PR team coming on the forums and Reddit to announce to us all that this person is playing the game.

For me, most streamers are designated as “non value added”. A couple are informative and pleasant. For the rest, they add no value to my gaming experience. I hope Anet spends more on their in house staff that are good on the official video productions.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.