Sodapoppin and his impact good or bad?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

he was banned from WoW for account sharing

EDIT: and even if it was a bad thing and his community is very “toxic and trolly”, tbh we already have very toxic people in our community, it wouldn’t change anything.

EDIT2: I’m also not against his presence

EDIT3: We have various threads on this subject already

EDIT4: mudkipz

EDIT5: zerker meta

EDIT6: kill it

EDIT7: kill it now

EDIT8: I laughed hard when the anet guys sent him keys, that was hilarious.

(edited by IllegalChocolate.6938)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

he was banned from WoW for account sharing

That was another guy not him. He quit WOW because he think wow’s pvp is unbalanced and boring.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think it’s a very positive thing for the game. There will be tens of thousands of people that will be introduced to the game because of him streaming and enjoying it. I believe this to be a huge amount of free advertisement. No better time than right before an expansion too.

Yeah, he wasn’t banned from the game, reckful was. Sodapoppin was bored of the game and has been playing a bunch of new games, mostly H1Z1.

warbignime.4610

I think it’s a very positive thing for the game. There will be tens of thousands of people that will be introduced to the game because of him streaming and enjoying it. I believe this to be a huge amount of free advertisement. No better time than right before an expansion too.

Yeah, he wasn’t banned from the game, reckful was. Sodapoppin was bored of the game and has been playing a bunch of new games, mostly H1Z1.

Soda said GW2 is his main game now so we can expect a lot more gw2 streaming in the future. But we don’t know the release date yet.I think Devs should give him Beta access.

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

lol he’s gonna get bored once he reaches level 80 especially considering that he gets gifted a crap ton of glod

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

warbignime.4610

lol he’s gonna get bored once he reaches level 80 especially considering that he gets gifted a crap ton of glod

Well that depends on pvp cuz he’s a big pvp guy, I predict he will probably try to get high rank on leader board.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1879

Wolfheart.1879

I’m glad he’s over on the US servers. When he was on WoW he enjoyed on several occasions coming over to the main EU RP realm with his entourage just to laugh at us and disrupt our enjoyment of the game. My own personal experience of him and his fanbase is very negative as a result.

That said, I’m sure a possible influx of players will be a very happy thing for Anet, and swelled coffers are happy coffers. I hope he and his fanbase do find the game enjoyable and have fun here, but I also hope Anet will give them short shrift if they do get up to some negative antics.

Divinity’s Reach is home to some top-tier criminal masterminds.
The kind of people who will set an orphanage on fire after locking themselves inside it.

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

I hope I don’t get flack for this (I love ya Anet!)… but let’s keep it real…

http://youtu.be/oMuLD4rjUM0

warbignime.4610

LMAO

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Any mail from the BLTC comes with an ArenaNet logo, does it not? Thus, gifts (which these were) sent from other players will have the logo. I’m not sure that any of those gifts were from an ArenaNet employee.

warbignime.4610

Any mail from the BLTC comes with an ArenaNet logo, does it not? Thus, gifts (which these were) sent from other players will have the logo. I’m not sure that any of those gifts were from an ArenaNet employee.

They are from Anet because only Anet can send black lion keys, also Anet is keep sending him free outfit and keys.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

popular stream Sodapoppin

Who?

And frankly, who cares about his “impact”? GW2 has dealt with, and lived beyond, bigger names having an opinion (good or bad) about the game.

edit:

They are from Anet because only Anet can send black lion keys, also Anet is keep sending him free outfit and keys.

Vastly incorrect. If I gift someone an item off the gem store, it’s going to show up as an Anet logo’d game mail because it’s from the gem store itself, not a staff member.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I can’t really see that one streamer (plus fans) will make that big a difference. The game has sold millions of copies and probably has a few hundred thousand playing at peak hours.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am afraid you are mistaken. Anyone can gift keys and outfits. And, as such, they will be delivered from the BLTC and have an ArenaNet logo on the mail.

Posted by: SnubdubLuskon.1795

SnubdubLuskon.1795

Who? And since there is a message length restriction, I ask again, who?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Apparently its a person that someone I’ve never heard of has heard of .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Panites.6798

Panites.6798

I’m not comfortable with his fanbase rushing in to gw2, because most of his fan base are really toxic and troll, so it worries me some that his fan base might ruin our community.

Have you even played this game? Its well known that chat is a very small percentage of people watching actual streams.
There are no repercussions except for a time out or ban which you can just create a new account on twitch, this is why no one takes it seriously.

How do you know his fan base (you said fan base, not a majority) are all toxic and troll.

He is entertaining at times and has to deal with those types of people for 4 + years.
Stop kittening about other people playing a game they want to enjoy, your community is obviously terrible if you judge a range of people off a minority.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Honestly, i believe that the last game 75% off sale brought to GW2 way more people than this person i have never heard of before. Still, if he brings any people here, then more power to him, i guess.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Apparently its a person that someone I’ve never heard of has heard of .

Must be important then
If all his followers march in lockstep do everything he does, follow everything he says, then maybe kind of sorta he may have a minimum impact.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So I guess its sodapoppins fault the the silk price is rising.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

EDIT: and even if it was a bad thing and his community is very “toxic and trolly”, tbh we already have very toxic people in our community, it wouldn’t change anything.

Eh pve isn’t too bad, excluding dungeons of course.

Soda said GW2 is his main game now so we can expect a lot more gw2 streaming in the future. But we don’t know the release date yet.I think Devs should give him Beta access.

Seems they’re following beta weekend style and probably most of it is going to be pve.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

That was another guy not him. He quit WOW because he think wow’s pvp is unbalanced and boring.

And it only took him over 10 years to learn that…and it just happened to be when GW2 was starting to become the “cool thing” with all the hype about expansions and such.

I don’t think that is a coincident.

If you actually read the title of the mail it quite clearly says gift from: signarokkaos.4035.

Nice try though.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

So I guess its sodapoppins fault the the silk price is rising.

THANKS sodapoppin!

I tought sodapoppin was some sort of new meta build. Then i read the thread.

But it looks like he’s just some dude who used to play/stream wow and now his wow fans are forced to watch him play gw2 which resulted more people to buy the game? Well good for him/a net/us then, this game deserves more player base.

Posted by: Knaifhogg.5964

Knaifhogg.5964

Unless he loves pvp he’s gonna quit in no time with all the free stuff he’s getting. Hope his viewers end up ruining the game for him, good stuff.

Posted by: ReaperStriker.1982

ReaperStriker.1982

Maybe people should stop being attention kitten, and stop following him and other streamers (such as Nightblue) as well. It is annoying and irritating when show-off people are buzzing around you. It’s like constantly being followed by a bunch of kitten guidos trying to show you how big their muscles are, are you guys moist with Sodapoppin and Nightblue? Wow. “Her bro, hey bro, hey look at me, hey, hey bro look, hey, look at my muscles man, hey, hey bro, look at me, hey, hey bro…”

Attachments:

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Sorry, who is this? Guys, just do something substantial with your life instead of a young fellow playing a game you already know. What the hell has become of this world?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

So as some of you may know, popular stream Sodapoppin recently quit WoW

Never ever heard the name before. So much for impact. :P
From a cursory glance he sounds like he should rally be playing LoL, but w/e, we can stomach him. Just be friendly to people, it spreads fast in GW2 because the game mechanics already urge you to be friendly and nice.

Wow, smallscale PvP in a MMORPG is unbalanced. What a rare and novel concept…

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

So as some of you may know, popular stream Sodapoppin recently quit WoW and started playing GW2, due to this GW2 is constantly on the front page of twitch, what are you guys thoughts?

I thought the thread title “sodapoppin” was about discussing some buff food and its impact….. seems I was wrong.

I really do not care about some WoW players/streamers coming to GW2. If they like GW2, good for them.

Greetings.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Soda streaming it, we’ll have to see how long it lasts.
Nightblue started streaming it too, last saturday.
Lirik has been playing with shortyy off stream.
Mufasaprime has come over from WoW and has been streaming it for a week now.

It’s a good thing. Other streamers check each other out and try the game. It’s great publicity.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I saw the term sodapoppin in zone chat the other day. I thought it was like, ya know, a reference to some variety of tequila slammer. When I found out it was a person, my reaction was like that guy in Guardians of the Galaxy: who?

So anyway. Where’s all my free keys?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I’ve only seen a few videos of him so I don’t really know what to say, but from what I’ve seen so far and from previous videos of people just giving him free stuff like no tomorrow, I personally wouldn’t know how anyone could actually enjoy playing the game when everything’s just given to you on a silver platter.

Am I jealous of all the donations he’s received? Of course. Who wouldn’t?

Do I like him as a person? Well, I’m gay, and I personally think he’s cute (especially the pic of him with the pink hair n all – just sayin’), but I don’t like his personality & ego – especially treating some of the people who give him donated goods, like disposable garbage. But hey, this isn’t a dating game, so who I like and don’t like, is irrelevant.

On the positive side, I do think that his popularity will help GW2 a bit. To be honest, I’ve seen my fair share of trolls since day 1 and have A LOT of people on my block list, so should his followers bring even more trolls to the community, I probably wouldn’t even notice – it seems every day I’m putting another person on my block list so… lol

Overall, I don’t really care. I’m not going to kiss his feet and donate everything I have to him – there’s plenty of others I’m sure that will, to get some attention or their 5 seconds of fame on YouTube. I will give him a bit of advice though… YES money can buy a lot of things, but at the same time, in doing so, it also ruins the experience of earning what you get – and you might find yourself getting bored VERY quickly. It’s just what happens when you can afford anything and everything you want. There’s no real strive to get something yourself in the long run. If you want to feel a sense of achievement, perhaps stop the donations once in a while and try to get something yourself. You will get a lot of satisfaction in doing so.

My two cents,

Welcome to GW2

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Why is a Personal Advertisement for a streamer being permitted to continue in this forum?

Shouldn’t this be merged with the other Sodapoppin advertisements in the Community Creations Forum? Or better yet, deleted entirely?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

You might be right about that. He has more gold than me and my friends playing the game for years
Nice to get so much but nothing to go for, I dont know how long he will enjoy it.
From his stream I learned he likes to pvp, but not sure he is into the pvp gw2 has to offer. I have seen some WoW pvp but that was so extremly boring I dont know why people would evn consider play that, or even like it.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Precursor prices went back up since he started streaming.
Must be related.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

The biggest question is

Attachments:

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

No idea who the guy is. GW2 is not a game I enjoy watching anyway, I enjoy playing it. It’s what makes it, imo, a bad e-sport.

Not a fan of those whole “popular personalities and their personal army” kind of crap. To often these people are knuckleheads because they are “close” to someone who is popular. Glad to hear he’s NA, so he won’t bother me in the EU :P

But an influx of new players is probably not be a bad thing, although I suspect the steep discounts we’ve seen recently might do that much better than some streamer.

Why is a Personal Advertisement for a streamer being permitted to continue in this forum?

Shouldn’t this be merged with the other Sodapoppin advertisements in the Community Creations Forum? Or better yet, deleted entirely?

Calm down. Nothing is being advertised, it’s a discussion about the impact of personalities.
And I don’t even know if it’s a banable thing, Joe had a thread where he advertised his interview with Colin and that was okay.

But if he’s really a big streamer than guess who’s going to get an invite into the closed beta.

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

No idea who the guy is. GW2 is not a game I enjoy watching anyway, I enjoy playing it. It’s what makes it, imo, a bad e-sport.

Not a fan of those whole “popular personalities and their personal army” kind of crap. To often these people are knuckleheads because they are “close” to someone who is popular. Glad to hear he’s NA, so he won’t bother me in the EU :P

But an influx of new players is probably not be a bad thing, although I suspect the steep discounts we’ve seen recently might do that much better than some streamer.

Calm down. Nothing is being advertised, it’s a discussion about the impact of personalities.
And I don’t even know if it’s a banable thing, Joe had a thread where he advertised his interview with Colin and that was okay.

But if he’s really a big streamer than guess who’s going to get an invite into the closed beta.

He was pretty big in hte pvp community. the problem was in my eye’s he was only ok. He played one of the strongest classes in that game, and cried about “imbalance”. He did not share the same views as other high tier player’s.

If he’s right about anything here maybe he’ll shed some light and a-net will respond to publicity if anything, otherwise its just going to be about a hardcore player in a casual game with guys giving him bunches of free stuff when he plays a strong class like thief(since he mained a feral)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I have no clue who he is, and I honestly don’t care who he is.

Posted by: Buell.3701

Buell.3701

Not sure why this is even a thread.

If he enjoys the game, let him play it. Him playing means more publicity for the game, which means more money for Anet, which means more content for us.

Besides, his community isn’t that toxic. You should see some League of Legends streamers’ chats. Good lord.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

gw2 is a great game, its a game i always come back to.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

I SO want to be this to me previously unknown internet personality…why, just why?

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Even with 16,000 viewers that’s less than half a percent of the the number of GW2 copies sold. So the impact will be negligible at best. While watching the video linked above, I can’t help but ask myself why anyone would send this person things? He’s probably wealthier in real life than the sender’s.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Probably the few seconds of glory of their names shown for a few seconds, and also maybe hoping to get a favor at some point, who knows.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Couldn’t really care less about the guy. When I saw his videos, I immediately closed em.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

I hope he brings some more fresh meat to slaughter with my medi Guard. I mean to enjoy the game with.

He will probably get bored, because PvE in GW2 is nowhere near WoW’s level. When he realizes there’s nothing to do in this game but zerg or sPvP he will go back to WoW.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Publicity on Twitch is good for Guild Wars 2; exposure never hurts
If he’s a popular streamer he’ll probably gain the game some new players.

Just watching a video now of Phantaram teaching him PvP… how’d Sodapoppin get the Llama Finisher already??

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Just watching a video now of Phantaram teaching him PvP… how’d Sodapoppin get the Llama Finisher already??

Because the Llama Finisher is buyable in the gem store at rank/level 1? :P

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Soda-who? Never heard of…

(… and regarding his fanbase: Sounds like they’ll fit in just fine)

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

Just googled the guy. No one important, moving on.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Impact, what impact? Who is this guy anyway?