Soft Stat Caps?

Soft Stat Caps?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Hey guys! So I’m playing around with different build ideas for my lvl 80 and recently I was told in game that there are ‘soft’ maxes to certain stats (ei toughness etc). Meaning, once you hit a certain number, the particular stat becomes decreasingly helpful/effective.

Is this true, is there a document or graph out there that displays this for me? I’ve read over the wiki, but it was difficult for me to understand.

I’m wondering about all stats, but if there has been research done well on just one or two I’d appreciate that also, anything/everything is great!

Second short question, I’ve also been told that PvE mobs will target the player with the most toughness, is this true/confirmed?

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Soft Stat Caps?

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Different mobs have different aggro tables. Proximity/defensive stats/damage output are 3 big ones. All stats are a linear gain in GW2 (were in GW1 as well), there is no diminishing returns.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Soft Stat Caps?

Beorn Saxon.4762

All stats are a linear gain in GW2 (were in GW1 as well), there is no diminishing returns.

I understand they are linear (1 point vitality will always give 10 points HP), but I’m wondering about effectiveness. For example: maybe at 500 toughness you take 100% dmg, at 1,000 toughness you take 50%, and at 1,500 toughness you take 40% dmg. This shows that the higher you go in toughness the less effective it will be.

I’m wondering about power/prec/crit dmg too.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Soft Stat Caps?

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I understand they are linear (1 point vitality will always give 10 points HP), but I’m wondering about effectiveness. For example: maybe at 500 toughness you take 100% dmg, at 1,000 toughness you take 50%, and at 1,500 toughness you take 40% dmg. This shows that the higher you go in toughness the less effective it will be.

I’m wondering about power/prec/crit dmg too.

An additional 180 toughness will give x damage reduction regardless of your existing toughness value. There’s a diminishing MARGINAL returns, in the sense that If you add 100 toughness to a 1000 base, that’s a 10% increase, vs if you add 100 toughness to a 2000 base it’s only a 5% increase, but it’s still the same % damage reduction that you gain in the end.

There is also a ‘ratio’ or ‘soft cap’ I guess, for point efficiency. For example once you have high Power, you should start investing more into Precision. It’s not that each point of Power starts giving you less damage, but that you would be better off investing somewhere else (due to the nature of the damage formula).

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Soft Stat Caps?

Beorn Saxon.4762

There is also a ‘ratio’ or ‘soft cap’ I guess, for point efficiency. For example once you have high Power, you should start investing more into Precision. It’s not that each point of Power starts giving you less damage, but that you would be better off investing somewhere else (due to the nature of the damage formula).

This is the info I’m looking for I think. Are there any tables/graphs/research by the community it?

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Soft Stat Caps?

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

^To answer toughness and power, here’s the damage formula
Damage done = (Weapon Strength) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target’s Armor)

Mexican Cookie pretty much nailed it though.

Soft Stat Caps?

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

2700 armour is 33%, 3000 armour is soft cap

Power/Precision/Crit Dmg are linear

Soft Stat Caps?

Beorn Saxon.4762

2700 armour is 33%, 3000 armour is soft cap

Power/Precision/Crit Dmg are linear

Where is the math behind this statement? Is there another thread or website post or document that explains it more.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

Soft Stat Caps?

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

What people mean to say, is that stats have a function of y=Log ~2~ X until it reaches a linear state of benefit.

Soft Stat Caps?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

There is no diminishing return and people need to stop being bad at math. It’s the same people who think you can have too much crit chance (before 100% crit chance of course)

People might be like…. 50 to 55% damage reduction. What? That’s only a 5% increase now! Garbage! That’s not true though. Someone with 55% damage reduction takes 10% less damage than someone with 50% because they have 10% more damage reduction. (55 is 10% more than 50).

Now, if you have two stats, of which one is really high and the other is really low, that is that it is far easier to increase the lower stat by a certain % than the higher stat. Which means a balance between something like power, precision and critical damage would help more. And it also explains why those 3 stats are superior to other stats as they scale off each other and are easier to increase individually by a certain percentage.

That being said, there is an obvious cap for precision though… though this only comes to play when you have traits or skills that boost it that high.

Also the toughness thing appears to be a rumor and really shouldn’t be relied upon.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)