Solo-Instance for Dungeons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

DISCLAIMER: This is not about dungeon scaling. This is not about modifying the dungeons in any way. This is about adding a mode that is more “solo friendly”. Please stay on topic or I will request a lock and remake it. Thank you.

So I was witnessing a heated debate the other day in LA. Someone was saying that anet should make Solo-versions of dungeon paths so that players can still do the content without worrying about all the toxicity revolving around LFG.

Although the group was arguing against it didn’t like the idea, they seemed to not have much of a point. In fact, they were arguing as though the topic was about regular dungeons. But then the guy who was arguing for solo dungeons said something that (should have) ended the argument. One of the players against solo dungeons said something along the lines of, “people shouldn’t be kittens and join zerker only groups without zerker gear” and the guy replied with, “then let the kittens play by themselves.”

And I was thinking, “WOW that would actually solve all of the LFG problems”. So today I ask that we discuss how Anet should go about doing it. I wouldn’t think that it would be a hard fix but a number of tweaks to numbers. For example:

• Rewards reduced by up to 66%
  • Timers increased to allow player to perform all time sensitive multiplayer inputs.
  • Number of enemies spawned are reduced by up to 50% in some areas.
  • Strength of enemies are reduced by up to 20%.
  • Champions and Legendaries (bosses and minibosses) are reduced by 1 NPC Rank.
  • All other multiplayer input are redesigned to allow the player to interact with all of them or the multiplayer aspect is removed entirely.

And this could work with fractals too. One thing I am going to clarify is that these modifications should be part of their own mode seperated from regular dungeons. Discuss.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

The ironic thing is you can solo most of the dungeons with the right build and traits. Yes, it will take you forever . . . but it can be done.

That said, I wouldn’t mind if you could select to tweak the dungeon to be more ‘solo’ friendly.

I would very much love it.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

+1, just not for solo.
I really wish they’d designed the dungeons for 1 to 5 people. As someone who has resisted “guilding up” for years in MMOs, sometimes I just want to play with friends and not toss the dice on random strangers. As it is, it’s only me and a buddy online nowadays, but we’d have a ball 2-manning dungeons if they were designed for it.

And yeah, I’d be totally down for doing it, even with reduced rewards, because right now, I’m not really doing them at all.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I like the idea, but definitely have to say: inb4 “zomg M*M*O” crowd gets here

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

yolo swaggins.2570

I like the idea, but definitely have to say: inb4 “zomg M*M*O” crowd gets here

That was another point that was argued against. MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online, however the guy who wanted Solo dungeons said something like, “Nothing in MMO says that I HAVE to play with people. It only means that there are a large amount of players present.”

And I think that is fair because nothing in those three words implies that partying up is a requirement.

Offtopic: I would have screenied chat but it degraded into name-calling.

Liaison for [Teef]

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

I think having player scaling would be awesome! Choose from 1-5 and depending on the choice, they could have scaling difficulty and rewards like you said to incentivize multiplayer but not inhibit solo play.

Every can have their cake and eat it, too.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Yep, been asking for this for ages – surprised the MMO’s are meant for groups of 5+ only crowd has not shown up yet…

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

I find it funny that the whole discussion is base off a false presumption.

Majority of dungeon party I PUG through LFG, hardly ever did I experience this “toxicity” that I keep hearing. I also joined a lot of those “zerker only” groups, without wearing full zerker or no zerker at all, only got ask to ping gear 4 times(life time), and the teams were cool about it as long as I know what I am doing.

I bet a lot of complainers hardly ever pug(or dungeon at all) and just unfortunate enough to bump into a group also has no clue what they doing(one reason I avoid all welcome groups, as those more likely to become toxic than zerker/exp only).

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

I like taking on new challenges for myself, so I’ve tried several dungeon paths either on my own or with 1-2 other people. Some attempts were successful and others not so much. I would, in fact, like to see options for solo dungeon paths, but it isn’t a huge priority for me. There are other things – improvements, changes, additions – I’d rather see first, but I would be thrilled if solo paths made an appearance. I’m not really sure what adjustments would need to be made to which areas, but I think it would be awesome to offer more playability options to those solo-ers out there.

Grouping up with strangers has kept me out of most of the dungeons until now. I met a couple awesome friends in game and feel like the added buffer of them plus LFG makes me feel less anxious about it. We’ve had some really great LFG experiences and some not so great ones, but I’d still definitely like to be able to head into a dungeon solo.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

This topic is about dungeon cut scenes, right? I mean there is no other reason to want to solo a dungeon except for story.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Id rather focus anets resources on improving the ai of mobs and adding more mechanics on bosses and stuff like traps. Disablinb traps and using them against mobs. That sort of things...

soloing dungeons as they were yet another exploration pve area for low rewards in full zerker gear wouldng solve the toxic part of speedclearers

personaly i understand how dungeons work, how the best and fastest way of doing it is full zerkers and i adapted to it by joining SP parties with my SP gear and build and had noproblem.

Its the same if i we had the holly trinity and a guardian or a warrior went dps and not as a tank and everyone died cause the tank didnt hold agro on the mobs...

adapting is the key word when it comes to gw2 aspects of the game.
Dungeons could be better, till they change them its full zerker or gtfo to your guild/friends party

yolo swaggins.2570

This topic is about dungeon cut scenes, right? I mean there is no other reason to want to solo a dungeon except for story.

No.

Liaison for [Teef]

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I don’t support this.

The LFG tool would start dying out pretty fast because this would eliminate the need to use it.

Soloing dungeons should remain the way as it is. They’re all really easy to do if you know the path so I see no reason for them to be simplified/scaled.

yolo swaggins.2570

I don’t support this.

The LFG tool would start dying out pretty fast because this would eliminate the need to use it.

Soloing dungeons should remain the way as it is. They’re all really easy to do if you know the path so I see no reason for them to be simplified/scaled.

“Eliminate” is an overexaggeration. If you are getting 1/3 of what you could get on a regular dungeon run combined with DR and a small decrease in difficulty, I doubt many people are going to drop LFG.

Secondly it isn’t going to subtract from regular dungeons.

Liaison for [Teef]

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I don’t support this.

Not necessarily. If the suggestion for the dungeon to scale with increased rewards is used, then people would still want to group the dungeon for that benefit.

We’ve seen this done in games like Diablo 2. You can solo Meph, for example, but if you had a group of people in the area, the difficulty as well as the loot increased.

So it’s quite viable.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

I find it funny that the whole discussion is base off a false presumption.

Majority of dungeon party I PUG through LFG, hardly ever did I experience this “toxicity” that I keep hearing. I also joined a lot of those “zerker only” groups, without wearing full zerker or no zerker at all, only got ask to ping gear 4 times(life time), and the teams were cool about it as long as I know what I am doing.

I bet a lot of complainers hardly ever pug(or dungeon at all) and just unfortunate enough to bump into a group also has no clue what they doing(one reason I avoid all welcome groups, as those more likely to become toxic than zerker/exp only).

You are judging people and the situation and fasely presuming yourself as well. Honestly is no different from what they did. If you look a bit into the forums, will see the toxicity comes from both sides, both have their share of fault. Now would be silly to blame everyone who is part of a group that think similar because of acts of a few. If I would to do that, I’d never join any group at all given to certain posts I’ve read here for the past 2 years, yet I can very well filter and distinguish those who are more louder causing a community problem from others who are passive.

I create and join groups according to time and what I am fancying for that day. Some days I run zerker, others I use knight build, others I test build, in the end, that’s my fun.

If all I want is to chill while running a dungeon, talking to some friends, will see my LFG description as: Ping Nomad, 28kAP, Speed Clear 5 min or something equally silly, so players will know isn’t a serious, zerker, efficient run, but a path where we will be talking, laughing, chilling, enjoying and having fun, because that’s what the game is about.

I can assure that only had one problem so far since LFG tool was implementable. It was a player that thought if he ordered around and asked people to switch for zerker gear, we would all comply and play the way he wanted. My friends and I said: Look, this is a friends run, we never posted about zerker group, so if you aren’t happy with this party, you can leave. However if you decide don’t want to leave because it is half way done already, then please respect. Problem solved!

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

That’s a fair point you guys bring up but dungeons were completely abandoned on GW2.

Because of that, I feel like they aren’t given as much of a chance to become as popular as they could be. Of course tons of people do them, including fractals, but because they’re the exact same paths with the exact same bugs/problems since launch, I feel like they could be so much more than they are now.

I don’t want to jeopardize the popularity of the literally only part of the game that I love. Sometimes I pug and I still remember back before ferocity was implemented when these dungeons actually were considered difficult to solo. Back then sure I’d be inclined to support something like this… but have any of you guys even tried soloing them now?

It’s really easy, if you try the lower dungeon paths (AC/CM/TA). Ferocity made us overpowered. If anything it kind of feels like they’ve already addressed this in a way, otherwise why else would they have done this last year?

Posted by: jovian.2805

jovian.2805

I wouldn’t mind a solo path for dungeons. I mostly solo in MMOs, or stick to people I already knew before we played the game. and oftentimes that number of friends doesn’t hit five, so we barely ever get to do dungeons. but as others have said above I think it would be trickly to implement. perhaps a path unique to the solo experience, so that multiplayer still has a benefit for those that prefer it.

teachers live in schools, garbage men live in garbage, and firemen live in fire.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

I understand what you’re saying but soloing dungeons in their current state is one of a few things that is still fun about the game.

IF they added an option to choose your difficulty instead of automatically scaling down to one person, then I’d have no problem with it.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I think i have a better idea to solve all these problems

Step 1: open lfg
Step 2: Select what dungeon or what you are doing for a group
Step 3: In party description, give path/difficulty, and then the words “ALL ARE WELCOMED!”
Step 4: Watch your group fill

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

You can already solo alot of the dungeons. It doesn’t take forever, in fact I found that i solo cm or arah faster than doing the dungeons with pugs since they almost always end up slowing me down anyways.

yolo swaggins.2570

Step 3: In party description, give path/difficulty, and then the words “ALL ARE WELCOMED!”

That doesn’t solve anything.

Liaison for [Teef]

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

Surely it would make more sense that Anet balance the game so that not every dungeon run is faster using ‘zerk’ only. MMO players naturally find the fastest way to get loot and use it over and over, which is probably why over 70% of the LFG parties say zerk only. I love this game, but it does have a lot of systems which seem to segregate the player Base and cause bullying.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

O Solo Mio

I would like it if ArenaNet offered more content that was soloable, because not needing to form groups and deal with all the hassle and overhead associated with them was one of the major draws that lured me away from LOTRO in the first place (and ultimately ruined all traditional MMOs for me, leaving me stuck here).

I first played GW2 during BWE2 back in 2012, and being able to do group content without actually needing to form a group, haggle over loot, etc. was so revolutionary that I still remember those early days with fondness.

Two-and-a-half years, 32 characters and over 4,200 hours later, I still haven’t run a single dungeon and have no plans to. Because the personal story ends with a forced group, I haven’t completed the personal story on a single character and have no plans to.

Why? It’s not because I’m antisocial. I really enjoy playing alongside other players, and when a tough dynamic event comes up, I’m always happy to see other players join in.

But I really don’t care for the process of forming groups, communicating without voice chat (type-type-type-type!) and basically dealing with all that stuff because frankly, after having played MMOs for the last twelve years, I’m just not interested in it anymore.

Not my cup of tea, plain and simple.

Anyway, I don’t expect ArenaNet to design the game around me, and very much want players who enjoy group-only content to have what they want.

That said, if ArenaNet made more content that was soloable and not just group-only, I would have more to do and would spend more time playing GW2. And I know I’m not the only player who feels that way.

People can argue all they want about that, but ArenaNet has the numbers from their data mining, and they already know what I’m talking about.

Ultimately, all of us play the way we want, and don’t play the way we don’t want.

I’m okay with that, and hope you are too.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I’ve never run into much (if any) toxicity using the LFG tool. And GW2 is probably the easiest MMO ever to find groups, and quickly… for pretty much anyone, using any build.

The reason more parties might seem to say “zerk only” or “speedrun” or whatever, is because those are the fastest to fill up. When I post my own parties without requirements, or saying ‘all welcome’, they fill up very quickly. Even for slower/less popular paths.

In any case, dungeons are meant as group content. That is pretty much half their definition in GW2: “instances, for a party of 5.” There’s tons of stuff to do otherwise, if you want to solo.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I’d love this sort of option. RIFT’s Chronicles are, in my opinion, one of the best ideas any mmo studio’s come up with for anything to date. Existing content retuned to be a decent challenge for solo/duo players? Yes please. Though, in fairness, I don’t feel that there’s a shortage of solo content here. There might, in fact, be a bit of a dearth of compelling group content.

Still, my thoughts shall follow on the broad topic in the altogether.

I got sick and tired years ago of that wheezy, pretentious assumption that ‘MMO means you should have to group to do things’. I’d seriously love for that opinion to manifest in tangible form so I could beat it into an unrecognizable paste, preferably with something tactile and weighty. A shovel perhaps, or a crowbar.

MMO means a lot of people can play concurrently. That’s it. That’s all. Nothing further is demanded or even necessarily implied. The presence or absence of group content has absolutely no bearing what-so-ever on whether a title is an MMO or isn’t.

You could have a game that required 50 people to be in a group doing a thing in order to do the thing as its designed, but if only 50 people can play it at once anyway? Its not that massive. Multiplayer? Sure. Online? Not necessarily – you could do that over a LAN, which isn’t quite the same.

I hate feeling like a game is trying to make me become deeply invested in some abstract social requirement in order to be successful at the game itself. GW2’s done a pretty impressive job so far of not making me feel like I’m being forced to basically live on the game and cultivate a network of people that’ll hold a raid spot open for me or that I can rely on to do dungeons with, etc, so on.

Here, everything is essentially PUG’able. Naturally, those with nothing but time to sit around, wait for their welfare check in the mail and complain about how bored they are typically hate this, but frankly, I love it.

I can do way more of what I want here in a fashion that is on my schedule than in any single other MMO I could name. Hands down, GW2 destroys all other MMOs when it comes to giving people like me the MMO experience I generally desire.

And that experience is Me vs The Game, with seamless transitions into social lobbies I can hang out in, RP with other RPers if I like and even dip off into organized group stuff if it suits my whim and fancy.

‘MMO might not be for me’? MMO’s are getting to be all about me, ‘cause I’ve got the financial freedom to spend hundreds of dollars a month on whatever amuses me and sustain that behavior.

‘MMO is for team play, go back to Skyrim’? Nah, I like it better here where there’s this nice social shell that’s always present. Just because I don’t want to be a human centipede with you and everyone else in the game doesn’t mean I don’t like being social, don’t enjoy hanging out in guild chat or even doing social content at random times. Part of the freedom I enjoy is being able to do that stuff as well.

Skyrim? Its pretty lonely there, though if Zenimax and Bethesda ever figured out that they could sell me (and anyone like me) multiplayer, or even rent proprietary server space to host multiplayer Skyrim sessions on, I’d never leave those games again.

So, I dig solo options. The more the merrier. The less I need to rely on vague acquaintences to total strangers to enjoy my game, the happier I shall forever and always be.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

(edited by naiasonod.9265)

Posted by: moonsugar.4793

moonsugar.4793

I got sick and tired years ago of that wheezy, pretentious assumption that ‘MMO means you should have to group to do things’. I’d seriously love for that opinion to manifest in tangible form so I could beat it into an unrecognizable paste, preferably with something tactile and weighty. A shovel perhaps, or a crowbar…

You, sir, have eloquently summed up my feelings about MMOs. /bow

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

In Rift, I was always fond of saying “None of the M’s mean Mandatory”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s a delicate balance here that some people are ignoring.

When Guild Wars 1 introduced heroes and suddenly everyone could solo everything, there were suddenly not enough people to do missions for those who wanted to. So the solo players were happy, but the people who wanted to group had a harder time finding people to do stuff with, and many left the game.

The problem is if you make it too easy to solo, people won’t necessarily group and you need to have both soloers and groupers to support an MMO. It has to be a level playing field for both.

Anet has tons of soloable content, it really does. You can solo many dungeons, even, if you’re good enough. There was the liadri stuff which was solo. Most events can be soloed. The game is a soloers dream.

All you really can’t do are dungeons. But you add those solo options in, and take a bunch of people out of the queue, while you might think this is the best thing ever, it could end up ruining the game for others.

Anet said in the FAQ before the game ever launched that you’d be able to reach max level solo but that they felt there were times when the community would need to come together to face challenges.

If you bought the game, that’s what you were buying into.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

That doesn’t solve anything.

Actually, it does solve the “this is zerker only gtfo!!!” problem. I do this, and the group usually fills up pretty quickly. Only once someone joined withou realising it wasn’t a speedrun, and he came along anyway.

That said, converting existing dungeons into actual solo content probably won’t happen, since some simply can’t be done alone (some fractals, CoE (?) where you have to press the right buttons simultaneously etc.). It would require a total redesign, and that’s more effort than it’s worth.
New solo dungeons? Yeah, maybe, but that’s effectively the living story, isn’kitten It can be done alone and with a group. So technically, you already have your solo dungeons, and you get ne ones with every new LS chapter.
Scaling dungeons, or the option to take henchmen instead of people, like in GW1? I don’t know, I guess that might be nice for some, but then again, it might prevent some people from joining guilds altogether (did prevent me in GW1 for the longest time), and I would sincerely regret that.
In the end, open world PvE (and maybe PvP, too) is solo content already, and frankly, in an MMO, that’s plenty. GW2 is geared towards groups in its endgame, and asking for all that to be changed into solo content is essentially asking for a different game.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

I would LOVE to be able to solo/duo a dungeon even if it was harder (and what’s currently possibly I don’t mean, that takes too long and is too punishing for 1 mistake. Makes you go insane, especially with bugs and resets…)

Currently, a group of 5 that knows what they’re doing, steam roll dungeons. I would like to be able to solo or duo a dungeon in the similar amount of time (maybe 20-30% longer), and more difficult level. (relativiely 20% harder maybe?)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

MMORPGs aren’t meant to be played solo. On paper, it may sound fancy for you, but the introduction of solo-dungeons will seriously hurt the multiplayer side of the game and it is not worth it AT ALL.

LFG isn’t even close to toxic. And there is no point to fix something that isn’t a problem in the first place. Not to mention the fact that Anet has been focusing on group-based content lately and they seem to have the same goals for the expansion. So Anet’s vision atm is in the opposite direction of your suggestions.

I, personally, am against it.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

As it is, it’s only me and a buddy online nowadays, but we’d have a ball 2-manning dungeons if they were designed for it.

I’m in the same boat. It’s pretty much just me and my best friend playing this game. When we do dungeons we usually just pair up and form our own LFG but it’d be fun if we could just do dungeons by ourselves.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I’ve always thought dungeons should scale. A lot of us don’t want to deal with the zerker meta builds and actually have fun in dungeons. This should of been like this from the start. It’s fine if you want to reduce our rewards to still make group content needed but it should be our choice how we do it

Lifestealer.4910

As it is, it’s only me and a buddy online nowadays, but we’d have a ball 2-manning dungeons if they were designed for it.

I’m in the same boat. It’s pretty much just me and my best friend playing this game. When we do dungeons we usually just pair up and form our own LFG but it’d be fun if we could just do dungeons by ourselves.

As i have said before, you can already do alot of the dungeons solo. If you want to learn which dungeon path to start first i suggest arah path 2, 3 and all cm paths.

(edited by Lifestealer.4910)

Posted by: Rymer.4017

Rymer.4017

Something I have talked to my friends about for a long time is why don’t they make story modes for each path and story mode to scale to any group size and make explorer mode scale for 2 to 5 players. This way any one can do story mode with others or without and for people who don’t like playing with a full group can still do so. Now as the op said you could have drops scale to to the party size to where you might not get as many tokens as fast as with a full group but you could still get them and earn the dungeon gear.

But there are many ways they could put this in and if they do great if they do not oh well I will continue to run dungeons with groups that I make.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Theoritically you can. The rest is just a matter of skill.
Purple Miku even soloed lvl50 in Fractals …

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I like the idea but it’s usually immediately shot down by the “omg this are MMO for fs, go back 2 singleplayer game scrub!” crowd.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

As i have said before, you can already do alot of the dungeons solo. If you want to learn which dungeon path to start first i suggest arah path 2, 3 and all cm paths.

That’s misleading, though. You can’t possibly believe that marginalized tactics is a counterpoint to this discussion without being disingenuous, maybe a little crazy or a min-maxing elitist. Not everyone is out to maximize performance – this discussion gets absurdly old. Guild Wars 2 is, first and foremost, a game – games should provide fun and entertainment, not just another grueling task to excel at.

Myself, my friends, along with every normal person on the face of this planet isn’t going to make a task out of Guild Wars 2 because if we’re going to put any effort into something, it might as well be a job and get more money.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Dungeons are already soloable for the most part. What people are asking for is for the difficulty to be reduced. I think that reducing difficulty in this game is a bad idea.

Lifestealer.4910

That’s misleading, though. You can’t possibly believe that marginalized tactics is a counterpoint to this discussion without being disingenuous, maybe a little crazy or a min-maxing elitist. Not everyone is out to maximize performance – this discussion gets absurdly old. Guild Wars 2 is, first and foremost, a game – games should provide fun and entertainment, not just another grueling task to excel at.

Myself, my friends, along with every normal person on the face of this planet isn’t going to make a task out of Guild Wars 2 because if we’re going to put any effort into something, it might as well be a job and get more money.

When did i say you have to min-max, some of the safest ways to solo a dungeon aren’t even the most effecient. For instance, there are alot of boss fights in cm where dagger/dagger is the most effecient weapon set for a thief to solo but you can always go sword/pistol which is safer, slower and basically more lazy way of doing it.

You don’t have to min-max to solo a dungeon path, you just need to know the dungeon.

Another thing is If you and your friend just wants to find content where a casual player can breeze through, there are already plenty of content out there for you to do so, low manning dungeon in its current form is the only challenging thing PvE has to offer. Last thing Anet needs to do is make such a content a joke.

(edited by Lifestealer.4910)

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Dungeons are already soloable for the most part. What people are asking for is for the difficulty to be reduced. I think that reducing difficulty in this game is a bad idea.

Yeah, skipping a lot.
I think that skipping the most of content in this game is a bad idea.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yeah, skipping a lot.
I think that skipping the most of content in this game is a bad idea.

Then don’t. No one forces anyone to do so.

yolo swaggins.2570

Just about everyone against this idea seems to believe that this is going to change the original dungeons themselves. Like the concept of “seperate mode” doesn’t apply.

The only reason why finding a group for dungeons in GW1 turned into what it is is because there was no separation from original content. Heroes replaced the party but the dungeons remained. This game doesn’t have heroes and therefore there is nothing to replace the party. Lowering the difficulty and rewards doesn’t require anywhere near an overhaul.

Maybe I just don’t know what the real issue is with it.

Liaison for [Teef]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I think that ANet missed a bet with the LS S2 episode content. That content could have incentivized everything from 1-5 player sessions, with scaling difficulty and scaling rewards. They could have been, in fact, “dungeons” in the broader sense, complete with boss fights, and a better selection of rewards to incentivize repeat play and to incentivize a harder option to use a full group.

As far as the existing explorable dungeons go… I’ve always believed that they should scale better — not to group size, but to group ability. This could have been done to accommodate the demographic that thinks everything in this game is too easy. If that scaling existed, I could see scaling for group size also.

Still, as some have pointed out, ANet has pretty much abandoned the story/explorable dungeon concept. Only fractals has seen any dev time since TA/AP was received with such faint praise. The new daily tasks include FotM, but not the other dungeons. The recent announcements include new HoTness for fractals, nothing about other dungeons. SW and Dry Top, no dungeons, but more large-scale content. I’m afraid that those wanting scalable dungeons are in the same boat as those wanting new dungeons and those wanting harder dungeons, that boat being the one where they’re left begging.

yolo swaggins.2570

Changed the title to match the topic being discussed.

Liaison for [Teef]

Lifestealer.4910

Just about everyone against this idea seems to believe that this is going to change the original dungeons themselves. Like the concept of “seperate mode” doesn’t apply.

The only reason why finding a group for dungeons in GW1 turned into what it is is because there was no separation from original content. Heroes replaced the party but the dungeons remained. This game doesn’t have heroes and therefore there is nothing to replace the party. Lowering the difficulty and rewards doesn’t require anywhere near an overhaul.

Why do dungeon difficulty need to be lower though?.. Low manning it isn’t really that difficult, there are plenty of people that do it daily. The only thing that stands as a huge obstacle for people who prefers to run with less than full party are dungeon paths where they shove “teamwork” down your throat like arah p1 where you need at least 4 on the geysers but other than that everything is perfectly doable.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

The playerbase will simply be divided and it will be harer to find people for a specific dungeon scaling. This will bring back the issue that we got rid off with holy trinity: takes long time to find groups.

There is no big problem with the current system, so it will be a waste of creating a new one that has its’ own share of issues. Not to mention the fact that Anet has been promising players to offer them an experience that is more focused on grouping rather than playing solo.

Scaling instance content will give one more reason to people to not play with eachother. This is not the direction an MMORPG should take.

yolo swaggins.2570

Why do dungeon difficulty need to be lower though?.. Low manning it isn’t really that difficult, there are plenty of people that do it daily. The only thing that stands as a huge obstacle for people who prefers to run with less than full party are dungeon paths where they shove “teamwork” down your throat like arah p1 where you need at least 4 on the geysers but other than that everything is perfectly doable.

Just because a certain group can do it solo doesn’t mean that everyone wants to be or is capable of being like that specific group of people. Why not have a separate mode with a lower difficulty and reward? Why does the difficulty have to remain the same? It is pointless.

Liaison for [Teef]

yolo swaggins.2570

The playerbase will simply be divided and it will be harer to find people for a specific dungeon scaling. This will bring back the issue that we got rid off with holy trinity: takes long time to find groups.

There is no big problem with the current system, so it will be a waste of creating a new one that has its’ own share of issues. Not to mention the fact that Anet has been promising players to offer them an experience that is more focused on grouping rather than playing solo.

Scaling instance content will give one more reason to people to not play with eachother. This is not the direction an MMORPG should take.

You really think those players are going to go to soloD for a third of the rewards each day? Okay lol.

Liaison for [Teef]