Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lightlord.4752

Lightlord.4752

This is a feature I would enjoy seeing.

This wouldnt work for every dungeon path and every situation, do to the nature of some of the paths. However some could be scaled so that they do work and mirror the original as close as possible. Or Perhaps just design some dungeons that can be solo-able.

Why would someone like that?

PUGs you never know how these turn out. Some times you get a party and you are in tune with each other. Other times, you get a party that has no synergy and is a train wreck waiting to happen. Then you get those partys leaders lousy/people and communication skills and are are on verge of having a stroke if they arent the self proclaimed party leader and you dont run the dungeon exactly the way they want you to run it wearing the gear they want you to wear with the skills and attributes they want you to have.

I also have no desire to pay somebody to run an Arah path.

This also Promotes player skill competency and experimentation. Most of us learn from trial and error and repetition. This allows this to happen with out penalizing the rest of the party.

There is also a time component. Sometimes, Im on call and might have to leave in 10 mins or not at all. I really dislike doing dungeons fotm or other party events during these time periods. Since is causes disruption and slows down the pace for everyone else in the party.

Have a new build or playing a new class? This a excellent sand box tool before you want to do party play. What to see what skills/traits/gear/ work and which dont, in an if/then situation?

So what are your thoughts?

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Yes. . . . . . . . . .

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Most dungeons in the game are solo able. Its just people need to l2p

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

There is nothing stopping you from doing that now.

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Lightlord.4752

Lightlord.4752

hmm..that actually might be a little more feasible to do after the 15th. Since we can re-trait out of combat.

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I think you are exadurating a bit here. Yes some dungeons are soloable but many dungeons and fractals have 3-5-person roadblock mechanics.

Which I find to be quite irritating…

I would like dungeons to become accessible to any party (2-5 players) for standard gameplay so that we don’t always have to build a full party.

I would also like to see the addition of a fourth path to each dungeon that is truly explorable, like the old “grind” dungeons in RPGs. so that you can take your time and enjoy the scenery and kill some mobs. But it won’t happen because there will be no one around to witness and report bots.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No solo mode for dungeons – what do you want GW1?

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

You can play it your way, make sure you advertise your party properly.

If you join one with a guardian thats asking for zerker warrior, don’t get surprised if you’re instantly kicked.
As for Arah, same thing, if you wanna do a normal no skip run, say so in the LFG group.

But if you don’t have the time or you might have to leave suddenly there’s plenty of other content to do, WvW, world bosses, etc.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Frenzify.6832

Frenzify.6832

I just completed the personal story for the first time which actually required me for the first time in the personal story to play with other players. Of course, being an MMO, I played with other players in other aspects of the game, but it did feel very inconsistent making the player join a group or grab a friend to do Arah with. (I won’t even go into how inconsistent it is making that dungeon compulsory for the personal story, but not the others).

Don’t get me wrong, it was fun, and I played with a great bunch of people, but that was the only time I felt as if a dungeon should really have a solo mode. But after searching online initially for to see if I could do Arah story mode solo (I know I can’t now) and seeing one comment that said something along the lines of it’s an MMO, just lfg or ask your guild, I kind of had to agree. It’s fine that there are players who would rather do things at their own pace and play solo, but I also think its better for an MMO to encourage more cooperative play. Judging by the comments so far, most dungeons are already possible to do solo, so I don’t see why it would be necessary to include a solo mode.

(edited by Frenzify.6832)

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I just completed the personal story for the first time which actually required me for the first time in the personal story to play with other players. Of course, being an MMO, I played with other players in other aspects of the game, but it did feel very inconsistent making the player join a group or grab a friend to do Arah with. (I won’t even go into how inconsistent it is making that dungeon compulsory for the personal story, but not the others).

Don’t get me wrong, it was fun, and I played with a great bunch of people, but that was the only time I felt as if a dungeon should really have a solo mode. But after searching online initially for to see if I could do Arah story mode solo (I know I can’t now) and seeing one comment that said something along the lines of it’s an MMO, just lfg or ask your guild, I kind of had to agree. It’s fine that there are players who would rather do things at their own pace and play solo, but I also think its better for an MMO to encourage more cooperative play. Judging by the comments so far, most dungeons are already possible to do solo, so I don’t see why it would be necessary to include a solo mode.

This is false. Explorable dungeons are only possible to solo because of Berserker gear, skill and exploting mob AI issues (like, just running past them).

The story dungeons on the other hand all require at least two very skilled people on heavies (Warrior/Guardian) or three moderately skilled people. Otherwise, you’re going to be encountering bosses that you can’t pass.

And in any case when you don’t have five people, you’re looking at 2-3 hours .

You say promote cooperative content, so how do you plan to make the community that participates in such content less toxic? Simple answer: You can’t. It automatically attracts teh hardcorez and thus why people like to solo.

Finding a “friendly” group that doesn’t require you to 5warzerkstack isn’t as easy as all the dungeon runners make it out to be. In fact, its nearly impossible.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Hey. Hannamontana.8153, skipping mobs in dungeons is not a exploit. QFT.

There is nothing stopping you from doing that now.

Cruzan 151. That’s what is stopping me from doing that now… Artificially raises the difficulty :P

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Solo Mode for Dungeons?

Posted by: Onis.2418

Onis.2418

I’d love to see a hard mode of the dungeons similar to SAB tribulation mode. It was quite perfect system, honestly.

Perhaps so that the people going in are limited to 2, but you can solo the whole dungeon (similar to trib mode) and no one else can enter halfway to discourage selling dungeon paths.
The rewards could be better than normal dungeons – no account bound unique things, just gold and more tokens. It would make people feel like learning to play is rewarding. Also if there was account bound things, the casual (+ latency issue) people would end up feeling left out.

Although you could start trib mode with 5 people, I feel that it’d be better if for hardmode dungeons it was just preferably just two people… at most three people. Then it’d make more sense to downscale the HP of the monsters more suitable for 1 player unlike if you know that in best scenario you have 5. Also people tend to assume things are meant for five people when you have the option to get five… most of the time this means having to use pugs to fill out the spots. When it comes to harder things, it’s much more fun and nerve-soothing to play with people you more or less know.

I feel that it would be nice for it to be a 2-man dungeon (which you can also solo similar to normal dungeons) because it is a mmo and I’ve noticed a lot of people seek out to have a partner, a teacher or a student in this game.

edit: got sidetracked dreaming of SAB. : P
In similar way, it’d be cool to have an easy mode for the same dungeons, that’s soloable/2-man, with just less tokens/gold.

(edited by Onis.2418)