Some items are inexplicably expensive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/1789

I just sold one of these for 69s on the TP (62 after taxes). Is there a reason this item is selling for so much? It’s just a random midlevel rare that has many cheaper duplicates of the same skin.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

Things sell for as much as players believe they are worth.

TheKillerAngel.3596

I do not understand why anyone would place such a high a value on this item though, considering that there are much cheaper substitutes.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I don’t follow price trends much but maybe people like the look of it or the rune in it.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

TheKillerAngel.3596

The issue however, is that you could buy the rune and a cheaper, same looking equivalent and it would cost less. Maybe the item has some special property we don’t know.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

You could just buy a skin you want and transmute it with the stats you want if it’s more cost effective. I combined the look of my old level 70 coat with the same skin as the Errol’s/Aidan’s/etc., and combined it with a crafted (with the same stats as Aidan’s but with crit power instead of condition damage so it’s actually better than Aidan’s coat.)

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Why is the sky blue?

Why is water wet?

Why would some clown pay so much for items?

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I think I can actually answer this.

Okay when you go to sell an item, it comes up with a buy sell price specific to that item.

That means that for every variation of it, they only see the buy sell price for each one individually. This means that very few people who are look for/selling something specific, will get a comparison on what other similar versions cost because they don’t want to spend the time looking it up.

If someone knows they want the Pirate Coat of Grenth, and they look that up, they don’t see the prices of the Pirate coat- rune or Pirate Coat with a different rune.

This means every item in game has it’s own individual market price completely separate from related items.

A smart money-saving shopper will look up the generalized item and do a comparison. Looking up Pirate Coat, instead of Berserkers Pirate Coat of Grenth for example. Or will look up Berserker Coat, buy for a super cheap price, then find a crappy Pirate Coat transfer the look, and add the rune themselves for several silver cheaper….

Most people don’t want to spend that kind of effort….

TheKillerAngel.3596

All of the Ravaging Pirate level 40 rares are selling for obscene amounts – higher than level 80 rares in fact.