Some1 got banned for using "tera" combat mod

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Klauren.7594

Klauren.7594

So yeah, I finally decided to look for this gameplay mod for GW2 that makes the arrow pointer be gone, and makes overall gameplay experience more enjoyable…. unfortunately found out someone got banned by using this, tho I can’t say is 100% true but can’t see why someone would come to say a lie about the matter…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjK5OI2oAQ
(you can read at the comments below)

Though it was always said that the mod itself was a bit risky to use because it is a 3rd party app. I’m sure though that this guy could get his account back if submits a ticket to support and explains, I mean I’m so sure there’s a large number of people still using this mod.

Either way, why such simple feature isn’t implemented in the game yet?? there are so many times I accidentally hit quest windows, or skillbar tab when in combat and need to move the cam around, it gets annoying, and though I’m sure many will say “hey this is GW2 main gameplay, if you don’t like it, don’t play it” yeah you right, and I knew this is how it was when I got it, but my point here is that is not a bad gameplay system how it is, but it could be 100 times better if just could make the arrow be GONE so I no need to hold right click for it anymore… is it too complicated to implement this into the game devs? I gonna keep playing the game and enjoying it, but seriously… gameplay could be enhance so much by modifying that~

In addition to all that, this game has a very limited skillbar system (in a good way) so could be very easy to be used with controller, like seriously… it has so much potential, why don’t upgrade your game one bit so everybody can have fun with it, have several friends who stay away from it just because how there’s an arrow in the screen..

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

God I would love to use that. I cant tell you how many times I lose track of my cursor in this game.

Klauren.7594

@aspirine.6852 I know right! that happened to me too, I mean that’s when I hit random parts of my screen during combat, I lose track of my cursor and whenever I right click to move the cam I accidentally hit random windows! It is indeed very annoying… either way don’t want to complain so much because again, I knew this is how it was and I decided to get the game regardless because I love the art and the overall gameplay is not bad, it is playable and enjoyable, is just this arrow annoying me around that could be so easy fix to the game…. make it optional! in top of all that now I can’t even use a community made mod for enhance my gameplay experience because I fear to get banned… ugh.
(with this thread wanted to also warn everybody who are still using it, be care)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

@aspirine.6852 I know right! that happened to me too, I mean that’s when I hit random parts of my screen during combat, I lose track of my cursor and whenever I right click to move the cam I accidentally hit random windows! It is indeed very annoying… either way don’t want to complain so much because again, I knew this is how it was and I decided to get the game regardless because I love the art and the overall gameplay is not bad, it is playable and enjoyable, is just this arrow annoying me around that could be so easy fix to the game…. make it optional! in top of all that now I can’t even use a community made mod for enhance my gameplay experience because I fear to get banned… ugh.
(with this thread wanted to also warn everybody who are still using it, be care)

That’s because modifying the game is likely illegal and certainly IS against the ToS. If you want to use something, then suggest it to anet and hope it gets into the game.

Content Terms of Use

Can I create and/or distribute hack and cheats for your games?
No. ArenaNet is 100% against hacks and cheats. Their use, attempted use, or distribution will result in the closure of any individual game accounts that are associated with the hacks or cheats.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It affects combat controls.

That can give an advantage in PvP. And ANet’s biggest test to see if it’s worth trying to figure out if someone is using a 3rd party program after being reported for such is: does it give an advantage over other players.

Usage of any mod except for musical macros outside of bell choir is at your own risk. Because all it has to do is meet ANet’s definition of advantage. Not yours. Not mine. Not the mod’s creator’s.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In the meantime there is a setting in Win7 Control Panel to make a white circle appear around your cursor when you hit CTRL. That’s helped me out quite a bit since someone mentioned it in these forums.

Since I mouse move, it’s often startling to realize my cursor has gotten off to one corner or another of the screen.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Everything that program does can be done without using it. Simply tape down right click and draw a dot on your screen. Mouse click/wheel functionality can be modified through its own configuration by remapping them. Everything else is built in to the game. All that program basically does is provide a fast way to swap between keybind presets in the same way that some keyboards/mice have profiles that you can switch between with a press of a button.

I doubt ArenaNet could even detect it without specifically targeting it otherwise anyone with customizable keys would also be banned.

Klauren.7594

@Donari.5237
I totally forgot about that… last time I used was at windows xp I think lol, thanks, ill see if I start using it as well..

@Aidan Savage.2078
@Seera.5916
You both right, it does modifies the gameplay experience, though what the mod does is hold right click and that’s pretty much it.. (kinda the same function of macros keys from keyboards and mouses) however, it is an outside / third party executable that is constantly running on the background, messing around with the gameplay itself. On all fairness I doubt it actually gives an advantage over other players, you do have faster response, but you still need to spam the skills correctly for win a battle, either way would be very arguable matter, and would be safe to asume that devs thinks same way, that such feature could make half community happy and other half angry… therefore never implement it. I would be more happy though with devs who actualy have the b4lls for do a move like this one and put this feature into the game for make it more fresh and new then play it safe and stay like it is~

@Healix.5819
I also was doubting that is a banable offense, and even detectable thing… and from the many many threads regarding this mod, only found that 1 person that is saying got banned from using this, but this 1 person is kinda enough for me to back off and don’t use it.. like you said, they could make target to the program itself so it becomes banable (which if was the case, would be happy if devs itselfs comes and say it in some “news” format inside the launcher to warn everybody who are using this)

(edited by Klauren.7594)

Aidan Savage.2078

No. Devs should NEVER add crap into games for the simple purpose of making them “new and fresh.” It’s like taking a rotting horse carcass and beating it with a flail instead of a bat*. The end result is often worse than it started. Crap in, Crap out.

*Mounts. EOD.

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

LMAO these are anet’s terms and conditions.

Just look at the conditions for macros, it’s as clear as mud!

You can use macros so long as they only do one action = normal keybind =/= a macro
So in the same sentence they claim you can use macros so long as they are not macros. Awesome!

In the meantime there is a setting in Win7 Control Panel to make a white circle appear around your cursor when you hit CTRL.

Breaking News! Anet to ban all Win 7 users over possible “cheating”!

I would like to know how many visually impaired players use this mod cos it help them play the game? If a mod helps handicapped players play, then it should not be banned; if that mod allows non-handicapped plays to gain an advantage, well it’s a mod available to all, so anyone can gain that advantage so long as anet allows mods and adds a mods section to the forums!

But as we all know Anet have been anything but helpful with the community really.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

(edited by Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054)

Seera.5916

@Donari.5237
I totally forgot about that… last time I used was at windows xp I think lol, thanks, ill see if I start using it as well..

@Aidan Savage.2078
@Seera.5916
You both right, it does modifies the gameplay experience, though what the mod does is hold right click and that’s pretty much it.. (kinda the same function of macros keys from keyboards and mouses) however, it is an outside / third party executable that is constantly running on the background, messing around with the gameplay itself. On all fairness I doubt it actually gives an advantage over other players, you do have faster response, but you still need to spam the skills correctly for win a battle, either way would be very arguable matter, and would be safe to asume that devs thinks same way, that such feature could make half community happy and other half angry… therefore never implement it. I would be more happy though with devs who actualy have the b4lls for do a move like this one and put this feature into the game for make it more fresh and new then play it safe and stay like it is~

Faster response is an advantage.

If two players have the same DPS ability, then the one who starts first will win if neither player messes up their rotation.

If one is using the Combat Mod and the other is not, that faster response could give them the win. And that’s why ANet may view it as not allowed.

Klauren.7594

@Seera.5916
Yeah.. that’s why I wish they implement it into the game as an optional feature so everyone can decide if use it or not.

I want to say once again, i’m not against the current gameplay that the game has, I do like it, but would enjoy it more if could have this feature on.. at least on pve mode and disable it on pvp games (so there won’t be any advantages at pvp)

@Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054
So much sense right..? lol….. (hope I don’t get baned cos I been having on background my x-mouse button app that came with my gaming mice..)

(edited by Klauren.7594)

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

@Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054
So much sense right..? lol…..

Yup. I asked about auto clicking, I even said I could set the macro up so that it can do 10 clicks per second, yes that’s 10 and it is possible for a lot of players even if you cant do it!

All they said was they could not comment on individual cases and I should read the terms, I’m like I have, your terms dont make any sense at all!!!! End of.

So they leave the decision making up to you, you have to risk it being within the terms or not and chance being banned! It’s a ridiculous system especially as their terms, yet again just to clarify, do not make sense and contradict each other!

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

That’s because modifying the game is likely illegal and certainly IS against the ToS. If you want to use something, then suggest it to anet and hope it gets into the game.

Content Terms of Use

Can I create and/or distribute hack and cheats for your games?
No. ArenaNet is 100% against hacks and cheats. Their use, attempted use, or distribution will result in the closure of any individual game accounts that are associated with the hacks or cheats.

Auto-hotkey does not modify the client anymore than your mouse software does. Granted they can ban you for any reason what so ever but “hacking” or “cheating” this is not.

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Meh, good.

They dont offer a bunch of different ways to control cause it’d give an advantage to those with a certain setup vs those without.

Having a mouse with buttons on the side, is not the same thing.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Klauren.7594

@The Tee Why.4807 what different set up you mean? an automatic cam control everyone could use regardless their set up… I don’t wanna be a d!ck but I just don’t get your point of view??? if I get what you are saying, someone with a mice with 1000 buttons on the side will have clearly more advantages vs some1 with just left and right click… anyway again, if the option was available for everybody to decide if use it or not, or maybe let it be an option for pve only it could enhance game’s experience by a huge margin without make anybody mad.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

There should be a place where players could request analysis for 3rd party tools, devs would check if they’re allowed, etc…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

What changed? They’ve said in the past that Combat Mod was okay because it does not affect game performance by giving an advantage!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I wonder how truthful the person that made that youtube comment is being.

The Burninator

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

I wonder how truthful the person that made that youtube comment is being.

Agreed. If that’s the real reason for the ban I would be very surprised.

Klauren.7594

@Sad Swordfish.9743 There was never an official statement from developers saying that this app was 100% OK, far as I know from the research I did, they only thing they did was replied to their own TOS saying that as long the program don’t affect gameplay itself giving advantage to the player, it is not a banable mod, but in this case it does affects so I don’t know.. (if you recall an statement made by a developer saying that the program it’s ok for usage, please, try find the comment / post / thread where they say it)

@JustTrogdor.7892 I kinda think the same thing as you… it’s this only 1 person that is claiming to got banned, but found nothing else from the 2years plus since this mod is around so it could be someone who is in disagree with this mod and wants to make people avoid using it, then again, the doubt is there and I can’t use it if I have this small doubt in my head, I would be super sad if I try to log in one day and find out my account is banned :S

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Well to answer your question here is a red response on the topic, but it is two years old.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Will-I-get-banned-for-using-Combat-Mode-1-0/first#post234824

The Burninator

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

People shouldn’t get too upset at Anet if they’re banned for this because it’s a 3rd party auto-detection issue. No 3rd party stuff is allowed and the games automated to stop it~ it’s not like some random GM is getting angry at them and smacking their account around.

Although the creator of this mod as well as the fans of it should have a serious discussion about actually adding this targeting mode into the game. It’s pretty neat and more up to date with newer MMO’s style of doing away with tab targeting.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

People generally claim to get banned for a lot of reasons, you have no proof other than some guy making a comment on youtube.

If what the person said was true, more people would have been banned, all you have is some random internet comment and we all know people generally enjoy lying.

This thread is a case of naive OP believing whatever is said on the internet. Or maybe the person making the claim is honest, but that seems highly unlikely. Anybody remember all those threads where the OP would claim they were banned unfairly but it turned out they were ban for botting?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Klauren.7594

@JustTrogdor.7892 yeah, that was the one I found as well, so yeah it is not a 100% pass from devs.. they totally say that using this program could lead into ban.

@Doggie.3184 yup, this guy who got banned has no reason to be mad, as it was stated multiple times that the program could lead into ban and was on each person risk to decide or not use it.
I honestly don’t understand why developers don’t care about add this very popular highly demand feature to the game, there are many ways they can implement it without getting any type of hate from the community, rather would make everyone happy and probably would make people who left the game, to comeback to try it out.
And if they don’t wanna do it, at the very least they could make some announcement that allows the usage of this app.
Anyway, I hope mods from forum don’t close the thread, we all know the rules, now we only sharing our thoughts about the matter (if people start showing interest about this, maybe developers do something… tho I doubt it, small hopes are there lol)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well to answer your question here is a red response on the topic, but it is two years old.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Will-I-get-banned-for-using-Combat-Mode-1-0/first#post234824

/thread

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Rius.7453

Rius.7453

@Donari.5237

@Aidan Savage.2078
@Seera.5916

If two players have the same DPS ability, then the one who starts first will win if neither player messes up their rotation.

If one is using the Combat Mod and the other is not, that faster response could give them the win. And that’s why ANet may view it as not allowed.

I have a Razer Naga. My response time would be faster because my thumb is constantly on the skill buttons. A 3rd party program, in the form of Razer Synapse, constantly runs in the background “messing” with the gameplay. Should I be banned?

Some people have external gaming keypads that are run and bound with 3rd party software. Should they be banned? Of course not. That would be insanity.

Also, having used this “mod” (using the term incredibly lightly) before, I can tell you it is nearly worthless in PvP and often even a disadvantage. Especially if you have AoE skills. You have much less control than is often needed, sometimes even in PvE. It’s why I quit using it pretty quickly.

It’s not even a mod, as it doesn’t touch the game, it’s files, or it’s code in any way shape or form. It overlays a reticle on your desktop that is placed on the top layer. It then changes your mouse buttons to read as “1” and “2” on the number keys and holds down the right mouse button. Nothing to do with the game, there would be no way to even detect it. It can even run without a game active, if you feel like locking your cursor to the center of the screen without a cause.

Unless Anet is actively monitoring all of our files and processes while GW2 is open, it would never be detected. Not to mention that would make GW2 nearly a virus.

tl;dr
That guy is full of crap, this isn’t a real mod, and it doesn’t give any real advantage over anyone.

Posted by: ZerFrost.3542

ZerFrost.3542

The ICM mod doesn’t give players an advantage, it’s basically playing with the mouse button held down w/o ever doing it. You cast your spells the same and target the same way. But I remember reading that the ICM was allowed and then I’m reading it isn’t. ANet is just lost and confused.

Klauren.7594

@Rius.7453 Thanks big time for all the information mate! I do really appreciate it! You said several valid points, and I seriously want to try out the app right now, what I honestly can’t understand is why devs are so quiet about this matter… only thing they need to do is come and say: “hey this program is totally ok, feel free to use it and have fun!” and they would get all the love from the community…. it’s so simple.

Seera.5916

@Donari.5237

@Aidan Savage.2078
@Seera.5916

I have a Razer Naga. My response time would be faster because my thumb is constantly on the skill buttons. A 3rd party program, in the form of Razer Synapse, constantly runs in the background “messing” with the gameplay. Should I be banned?

Some people have external gaming keypads that are run and bound with 3rd party software. Should they be banned? Of course not. That would be insanity.

Also, having used this “mod” (using the term incredibly lightly) before, I can tell you it is nearly worthless in PvP and often even a disadvantage. Especially if you have AoE skills. You have much less control than is often needed, sometimes even in PvE. It’s why I quit using it pretty quickly.

It’s not even a mod, as it doesn’t touch the game, it’s files, or it’s code in any way shape or form. It overlays a reticle on your desktop that is placed on the top layer. It then changes your mouse buttons to read as “1” and “2” on the number keys and holds down the right mouse button. Nothing to do with the game, there would be no way to even detect it. It can even run without a game active, if you feel like locking your cursor to the center of the screen without a cause.

Unless Anet is actively monitoring all of our files and processes while GW2 is open, it would never be detected. Not to mention that would make GW2 nearly a virus.

tl;dr
That guy is full of crap, this isn’t a real mod, and it doesn’t give any real advantage over anyone.

Like I said, may view it as an advantage.

I’m not interested in the mod as the controls of the game work just fine for my liking. I’m not to the point skill wise where polished controls will affect how well I play. So I haven’t really researched the mod and how it works.

If it doesn’t touch the code it’s not under the realm of things ANet can control against. Just like they can’t ban for one team using Teamspeak but the other team not in PvP. Teamspeak doesn’t touch the code of the game. Yet it does give an advantage.

Which is why things like the Razer Naga (of which I own one and use) are not bannable. Because it doesn’t touch the game’s code.

But previous posters implied that it did alter the code of the game. Meaning ANet would have every right to ban for using it since it does give an advantage.

Personally, I don’t see how it can alter keybinds of the game quickly without altering the game code. So if you know how it does that, please say so.

Seera.5916

@Rius.7453 Thanks big time for all the information mate! I do really appreciate it! You said several valid points, and I seriously want to try out the app right now, what I honestly can’t understand is why devs are so quiet about this matter… only thing they need to do is come and say: “hey this program is totally ok, feel free to use it and have fun!” and they would get all the love from the community…. it’s so simple.

The thing is, it opens a can of worms. Or at least it can.

What if Mod Creator A decided to make a mod. He makes a mod that doesn’t alter the game code and it gets approved by ANet. Then Mod Creator A gets sneaky and after it is approved adds in code that does change the game’s code. And gives an advantage.

Let’s face it, how many mod users out there if ANet gave their stamp of approval for it, would actually stop and read exactly what it does or does not do. Or even realize what features would have to alter the game code to work? Then they get banned, but go to CS and say, but you approved the mod I’m using! Why did you ban me for using it?!

Not saying anyone in this thread would fall under that category. But I’ve got a feeling it will be fairly high given the casual nature of this game.

And if they approve one mod, then they have to go and approve or no approve ALL mods for the rest of the life of the game. And they may not have the resources available to do so.

Klauren.7594

@Seera.5916 heres the official reddit thread of the mod:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10s4s6/combat_mode_11/

At the bottom the guy explains how it’s safe to use, but at the same time could not be that safe… so yeah, I doubt devs can tell if someone is using it or not. What they also say (devs) is that they don’t have the time to check on every mod and say that it’s safe, but on my opinion just check the ones that are highly popular demand and say if is right or not using it, probably would be 2 hours of their time at most for see if the program it’s safe or not (correct me if I’m wrong)

Posted by: Rius.7453

Rius.7453

Personally, I don’t see how it can alter keybinds of the game quickly without altering the game code. So if you know how it does that, please say so.

Yeah, I danced around the explicit point a bit. Sorry about that. It changes the input from the mouse to the computer, not from the mouse/computer to the game. Much like the Naga and similar mice do. With it activated, your computer reads the mouse keys as number keys and reads the mouse button as pressed. The key-bindings and all settings in game remain the same.

People use similar methods to play with controllers via xpadder. Nothing changes in the game, just using a different input method to the computer. If that is bannable, there is a whole floodgate that will be opened. Anet may as well start packing keyboards and mice into the game box.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This is why i wish GW2’s combat system was improved. It seriously needs options for target reticules. Currrently, we’re aiming blindly without one.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I would like this in game

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Personally, I don’t have any issue using the system as it is now. Ignoring the fact I’ve played for the last 2 years, but previously I played a lot of FPS and I adjusted that technique for GW2. It also helps I bought a Naga so no more clicking the skill bar.

I’ve got skills 1-5 on the keyboard as well as movement and interact, but dodge, skills 6-0, weapon swap are all on the mouse. I pretty much ignore the mouse pointer when I’m in combat these days.

Now I’m not saying everyone should do the same, of course, but just saying there are ways around it.

Aidan Savage.2078

There should be a place where players could request analysis for 3rd party tools, devs would check if they’re allowed, etc…

They wont because then it opens up complaints and a massive kittenstorm arising from “but XYZ was allowed, so why isnt ABC allowed, even if it only has 1 additional feature!!!!!!!!!!!! UNBANMEHPL0X.” And that’s not even getting into the sheer number of things that would take up a detrimental amount of time from the devs. Better a blanket no than sifting through rancid, putrefying dolyak kitten to find the good ones, wasting their time and ours.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

We all know why it is bannable.

The reason why it is not already part of the game is because it is a copy of another company’s Intellectual Property therefore Copyrighted.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Klauren.7594

@Ravion Hawk.4736 wait.. what? I hope I understand this wrong… you are not saying that TERA owns the rights to the “gameplay” …right?

Seera.5916

@Ravion Hawk.4736 wait.. what? I hope I understand this wrong… you are not saying that TERA owns the rights to the “gameplay” …right?

This.

There would be FAR fewer games out there if no one could use the game game play options.

RPG’s would have to find systems other than D&D type systems.

We’d only have one FPS game. One racing game. Because all of those use the same mechanics.

WoW clones would not exist at all…

Keybinds and cross hairs on the middle of the screen are not things that any company can own.

Klauren.7594

@Seera.5916 I personally know all that, and probably everyone with common sense, that’s why i couldn’t believe what I was reading from ravion hawk lol.

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

LMAO these are anet’s terms and conditions.

Just look at the conditions for macros, it’s as clear as mud!

You can use macros so long as they only do one action = normal keybind =/= a macro
So in the same sentence they claim you can use macros so long as they are not macros. Awesome!

In the meantime there is a setting in Win7 Control Panel to make a white circle appear around your cursor when you hit CTRL.

Breaking News! Anet to ban all Win 7 users over possible “cheating”!

I would like to know how many visually impaired players use this mod cos it help them play the game? If a mod helps handicapped players play, then it should not be banned; if that mod allows non-handicapped plays to gain an advantage, well it’s a mod available to all, so anyone can gain that advantage so long as anet allows mods and adds a mods section to the forums!

But as we all know Anet have been anything but helpful with the community really.

just because it is available to all doesn’t change the fact it gives and advantage, and because of that it should not be allowed to maintain balance, I don’t understand how you fail to see this. And if some people that play are handicapped wether it be visually, or other, there are plenty of ways for them to help themselves without having a illegal mod. Example; glasses, hearing aid, contact lenses,subtitles. they all don’t affect gameplay but help the person.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Klauren.7594

@VaaCrow.3076 ..I could agree that gives faster response therefore is not fair, but on a second though would be the same thing with people owning certain pieces of gaming hardware giving them advantages during gameplay.
The thing with this, is not that makes you /godmode or give you any extra stats to your character of any sort, so I don’t see how literally can unbalance the game, because again, people with gaming mices and keyboard pads do have major advantage vs those with regular set ups. Tho i’m sure you gonna argue “ok, go and buy the stuff then” but not everyone has the money for that, and I think this mod is more fair and balance then any of those things, as it is avaible to everyone who wish to use it.

I respect your opinion, and understand your point of view, and yesterday I was thinking the same way but today this is how I feel about the matter, so no, I don’t see it like it was a mod that gives advantage to the player (if was it the case, devs would deny the use of this in the first place and don’t even bother in saying that it’s ok to use but that it has the risk of ban in case it has some “hidden” code within the mod affecting the game itself, which is not the case)

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I had a well written response, but the forum lost it.

In short, there are common aspects to games that are unavoidable to copy like cross-hairs and ammo tracking in FPSs. The way it is coded to work is copyrighted to each coding team. Quake and DOOM can be clones since they were made by the same teams under the same company. Coding is copyrighted unless it is open source.

Xenosaga was made by two different teams between 1 and 2. 2 was not allowed to copy the system from 1 even though it was the same company. I believe 3 was done by a hybrid of the two teams and therefore was allowed improve on 1’s system.

Most pencil and paper RPGs are VERY different from D&D. Expand you horizons and actually play GURPS, RIFTS, Shoadowrun, etc.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Klauren.7594

@Ravion Hawk.4736 you make no sense mate… nobody is stealing nobodies codes here. You can’t say that the dev team who made tera owns the right to “action” like gameplay type…. you should also expand your horizons, as there are already games that are cursor free, like RaiderZ, and FF IV also has similar gameplay, and the upcomin black desert (not to mention blade and soul that has the SAME graphic engine, and gameplay, and almost every core aspect it’s a straight up clon of tera, and there’s also another one coming which I don’t remember the name right now..)
EVEN let’s say you right and the CROSSAIM it’s copyrighted, that’s just a crossaim, it can be totally changed or even removed if this became “official” but the core gameplay can still be used….. like with your logic there wouldn’t be any other FPS aside from doom and quake (?

The source code for this mod was handmade by this guy, it was not a rip off from any other game, and is totally open source (you can download it from the reddit link I put above) so I hope I wasn’t too agresive, and could put some light into your path to understand that there’s not such thing as copyright gameplay in these games… (indie teams would die if that was the case) Though the example you give about xenosaga are valid, it was a different case / circumstances.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

This mod has been there for ages and this is the first time I hear someone got banned.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

This.

There would be FAR fewer games out there if no one could use the game game play options.

RPG’s would have to find systems other than D&D type systems.

We’d only have one FPS game. One racing game. Because all of those use the same mechanics.

WoW clones would not exist at all…

Keybinds and cross hairs on the middle of the screen are not things that any company can own.

WoW would not exist, it’s an EQ clone

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

People don’t even seem to know that Tera had huge legal issues with Ncsoft regarding ’’stolen’’ mechanics.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I had a well written response, but the forum lost it.

In short, there are common aspects to games that are unavoidable to copy like cross-hairs and ammo tracking in FPSs. The way it is coded to work is copyrighted to each coding team. Quake and DOOM can be clones since they were made by the same teams under the same company. Coding is copyrighted unless it is open source.

Xenosaga was made by two different teams between 1 and 2. 2 was not allowed to copy the system from 1 even though it was the same company. I believe 3 was done by a hybrid of the two teams and therefore was allowed improve on 1’s system.

Most pencil and paper RPGs are VERY different from D&D. Expand you horizons and actually play GURPS, RIFTS, Shoadowrun, etc.

Actually when I played Neverwinter I thought to myself “This looks just like the Combat Mod of Guild Wars 2!” because Neverwinter camera/aim is exactly the same as the GW2 combat mod.

Is that copyrighted? What a joke! Seriously… Cross-aim has been used in games since the 90s (if not even earlier) sure it wasn’t used in MMORPG games until the “action craze” started but it’s been used in billions of games (!!!)

For example every single Elder Scroll game uses Cross-aiming, Mass Effect does, heck almost every 3rd person RPG or Action-RPG uses it, seriously that’s hardly innovation or new or “copyrighted” material, it’s been used since gaming started…

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Well there are 5 explanations for this “ban.” Based on the way the guy worded his Youtube comment, I’ve put them in order from most likely to least likely.

1. This was not the only mod he was using. If it was, there’s no guarantee that he was not also using a macro to improve his control experience.

2. He was “hacked,” had a “friend/brother,” or personally delved into botting.

3. He was not banned and lied.

4. He WAS banned, but this happened back at release when ArenaNet’s policy was pretty much “No third party apps AT ALL.” If I am remembering correctly, that’s how it was.

5. He WAS banned recently. In which case, I am still safe because I play on a stock install and use working-as-intended-1-1-1-1-ranger-sword-autopilot-off-a-fractal-cliff.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.