Someone explain how this is good.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fenryr.1427

Fenryr.1427

A new player buys the expansion today after hearing the hype, pays 35-50$ for it and then when they get in the game they notice they have to pay to play each of the season 3 living story episodes, a feature of the game that tells the story arch of the expansion.

Why would you do this?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why would someone pay $35-50 today when ArenaNet offers it for less? Seems rather odd.

FYI: There is an official response to this in the latest AMA.

Good luck.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

A new player buys the expansion today after hearing the hype, pays 35-50$ for it and then when they get in the game they notice they have to pay to play each of the season 3 living story episodes, a feature of the game that tells the story arch of the expansion.

Why would you do this?

1. You get the expansioncontent and everything related to it.

2. The Season 3 is not part of the expansion, but rather something extra. You still get everything else.

3. HoT is also the core game and has been reduced to 30$ permanently in wake of the recent revelations.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Why would someone pay $35-50 today when ArenaNet offers it for less? Seems rather odd.

FYI: There is an official response to this in the latest AMA.

Good luck.

what was the response btw?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I understand ANet’s logic. I also understand the point the OP is trying to make — regardless of whether it’s a fair deal, it feels weird to the consumer. GW2 is less pushy about stuff like this than most other games (the content isn’t required and you can convert in-game currency, so it doesn’t require out-of-pocket expenses). All the same, it’s not necessarily what people like to see when they buy a new game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I was a new player today I’d be more concerned about Season 2.

When I get a new game, especially an RPG my initial focus is always on the story. I want to play through the whole story in order. These days I accept that almost every game I buy will have had extra stuff added on after the main story has ended and I may well buy it…after I’ve finished the stuff I’ve already got, but I’d still expect to be able to play all of the game I’ve bought so far without making additional purchases.

Which is fine for the original core game, you absolutely can do that. But then I’d move on to HoT and find the story has jumped ahead a couple of years, there’s characters I’ve never heard of and events I know nothing about. Season 1 is unfortunately an insurmountable problem at the moment (although I keep hoping they’ll bring it back one day) but Season 2 is there, it is available…you just have to buy it separately…even though it’s in the middle of the story you’ve already paid for? That would seem very weird to me.

Personally I think the best solution would be to sell some kind of “GW2 Complete Edition” type package – just not called that because unless they’re constantly updating it the name would be inaccurate. Something that includes the base game + HoT + Season 2 and all of Season 3 so far, and maybe it could be updated when new releases come out. (It would probably have to be digital only, but I don’t see that as a problem.)

Obviously the price would be higher than just getting the core game + HoT, but again I don’t see that as a problem. If you want to pay the minimum you get HoT, but just the existence of another version should make it clear there will be more content to purchase later on if you choose to do so.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”