Something I don't understand.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

One of the main things about Guild Wars 2 is that they claim to have removed the “Holy Trinity” by allowing any class to become a healer, DPS, tank, or any hybrid they choose.

If that is true, why do we have classes that are CLEARLY aimed towards the Trinity?
Guardian, for example; They are obviously aimed for a healing class. DPS Guardians aren’t awesome. We dont hit like other classes. We have healing skills out the kitten though.

So, why exactly do they claim to have removed the Holy Trinity when there are classes still aimed directly for the Trinity?

Posted by: Ragnarawk.8697

Ragnarawk.8697

None of the professions are dedicated to any role in the way they would be in a traditional trinity system. Instead of tank/healer/dps, we have glass cannon, survival, and support builds. They all contribute dps, while doing whatever it is that they are good at doing.

Posted by: nawrasz.6219

nawrasz.6219

You are mistaken, a pure DPS guardian will come close in terms of damage with another pure DPS set-up on most classes besides Thieves/Warriors.
It does let you decide how to play, but it doesn’t mean that not every class excels in certain aspects of the game play.
You just probably compare the guardian with the Thief and Guardian, the other two mainly close-combat classes and decide they DPS better therefore there’s a trinity.
But overall if you compare all classes with each other you’ll find that as it’s true some of them really do excel in fulfilling a role that it doesn’t mean that they’re the only class capable of still being viable as that role.

Posted by: Metaphysicist.9427

Metaphysicist.9427

I can do a considerable amount of damage and group healing at the same time as a Guardian. There is nothing clear about them being solely healing, they are support through healing and a meatshield or facemasher depending on your gear and traits.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

There are some really scary DPS guardians out there.

There are some nearly impossible to kill tank thieves.

There are some really good healer elementalists.

There are all kinds of flavors of mesmers.

The classes don’t hit all three possibilities of the trinity are those that have either been nerfed to death (-cough-engineer-cough-) or have seriously broken core mechancis (-cough-necro minions-cough-) that cut off that part of their possibilities. But most classes can be built to fit pretty much any role you want to them to.

Heck, look at all the possible ways a warrior can be turned into a combat healer including a bunch of buffs to reviving downed teammates. Never actually seen anyone do that, but it’s definitely a possibility.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

So, why exactly do they claim to have removed the Holy Trinity when there are classes still aimed directly for the Trinity?

The question is just a small portion of the big question. Anet created an Orwellian world where everyone is equal only some are more equal than others. Why as a necro do I have the crappiest armor and am given a mele weapon? I’m trying not to be a kittenhole but I would think that dagger should do some pretty amazing damage. All the while I’m fighting next to a warrior (heavy armor) using a rifle? huh?

I’m not arguing for the return of the trinity, I am suggesting now that the roles have been stirred up an evaluation be done and some adjustments made.

I have high hopes for GW2 2.0 coming on the 28th

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Not quite. A guardian just makes up for his own small HP base through aegis and self-heals, as opposed to a warrior whom just has a lot of HP to start with. The fact that these heals are often AoE is probably a way to coincide with anet’s idea that condi dps, power dps, support, bunker and control builds would be viable on all classes. Dagger/Dagger eles have huge access to healing abilities, but you wouldn’t say this makes them a healer class at all, would you?

Besides, there is no holy trinity. There is only warriors.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

(edited by Writetyper.1985)

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I can tell you right now, if you try to run a “traditional” trinity team setup in this game, you’re gonna fail, or at the very least have a really rough time. Take the time to learn some of the classes even if you aren’t going to play them, watch how others utilize their skills, ask other professions to teach you a few things. You’ll see pretty quickly there is no trinity concept in this game, it just doesn’t work

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…