Something I miss from GW1.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Nothing to do with playstyle, instances, any of that… things. What things do you miss that you had from GW1. There’s one thing that I’m most nostalgic for from the old days that I would love to find on the HoM vendor… way back before inscriptions in GW1 I found a req 7 (I’m pretty sure it’s 7, could have been 8 but pretty sure 7…) max damage 15/50 Platinum bow. That bow I still have on the account to this day. If I could have the skin from that bow brought forwards to today… I wuvved that bow.

Go to HoM, talk to the vendor. There’s one skin/item from GW1 in there of your choice. What is it?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Zeebok.1460

Zeebok.1460

My frothy stein adorned guild cape.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Would have to be the Storm Bow. I had 4 of them on my GW1 accounts. Favorite weapon in the game, next to my Urgoz Longbow that is.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I can’t think of any particular weapon skin/item I’d like to have, but the moment I saw the ‘mummy’ armor on a ritualist I wanted it! And I got it. And it didn’t take a million years/gold. Anyway, we don’t have rits here, but that armor would look just as cool on, say, a necromancer. So, that.

I still have some req 8 items over there. Don’t think I have any req 7, though.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

(edited by Tachenon.5270)

Posted by: Avonna.2140

Avonna.2140

capping skills
2 professions
rearranging the skills on your bar
the community

I am a gamer!

Posted by: Avonna.2140

Avonna.2140

and the simple flaming sword

I am a gamer!

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Ahh what was it called again, the kurzick shield that looked like a leaf… Loved that skin.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

capping skills
2 professions
the community

Please don’t do that in this thread. It isn’t polite.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Crimsony.2514

Crimsony.2514

Signet of Capture

Gwen as a hero!

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Turning into a yeti with a tonic standing in in a town setting off Champaign popper if you stand at just the right angle it looks like the yeti is farting confetti good times.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: TheAngryLuddite.1834

TheAngryLuddite.1834

The Chaos Axe – or Glow Stick of Spiky Death – gosh, that thing looked awesome. I guess it wouldn’t work the same in GW2 though, since the glow effect changed depending on what you dyed it, and you can’t dye weapons in GW2.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

Two things:

Guild capes, but I get why they don’t have them. Those things would clip like a motherkittener and would look ridiculous on some of the armor sets, so if they do ever add them in I hope they do it right instead of just settling with the clipping we’re bound to see otherwise.

Dervish. I want nothing more than my Dervish back. I know, lore-wise, it is impossible and that I’ll probably never get back my Dervish but good God the money I’d pay to see my Dervish rendered in this beautifully revamped engine using his scythe with this game ridiculously good animations.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Chaos gloves.

And the animated elementalist headgear for Factions.

Apparently I miss shinies? lol

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

My Ritualist armor, especially the Asuran which looked like feathers. I would dye it blue and it looked like I was wearing long blue jay feathers. sigh They had so much more varied armor in that game.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

I’d love to have this in GW2. For example I used for a long time greatsword and longbow as a ranger. 4th greatsword skill is a blocking skill and 4th longbow skill is a knock back skill. So I started using them as a backup skill to avoid some dangerous incoming damage(by blocking it with the GS or by interrupting itwith the LB). An equivalent skill for shortbow would be the 3rd skill which makes an evasive move backwards. I’d love to be able to move the 3rd skill from shortbow on the 4th slot.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

NF style Gladius. Lion Shield.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

• Some weapon sets (zodiac and oppressor)
  • the ability to dye weapons
  • Alliance battles/casual PvP
  • PvE skills and Vertical progression via Title tiers
Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

My Zodiac Longbow… even thoug 90% of the time, all it got used for was pulling.

Also, would give my left arm for a simple skirt for a light armor character. My monk rocked a 1k woven skirt (dyed black) with 1k kurz top for a long time, and I loved the look of having a simple short skirt for the character.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Eternal Blade. I never had one, it never dropped for me. And I’d never pay what people where asking for them. I still have an Eternal Shieald in my chest in the hope that one day I’ll get one. I would also love to have a dead sword. And my Legendery/Gothic sword. Oh my shinobi blade was cool Looking too as was my Jade sword. And my Cappa Shieald. Man there where a lot of great skins in that game.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I want my Assassin’s Luxon Vest.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

Oh yeah…. Eblade 100%. And storm bow. And chaos axe.
kitten just give us dye-able weapons.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I miss my girls from gw1…all of them. I wish i could have had them imported into this game….skills and armor included! That’s not all of them, I had 12 in gw1 lol.
I miss my Mesmer’s Obsidian Armor although in the image here I got her wearing a skirt from a different Elite set, as I had multiple Elite sets for all the girls and like to mix and match them. All the Armor sets were so well designed with very few to no clippings and you could perfectly mix and match them.
I love the Paragon Oby Armor too. I had enough to get most of the girls Oby Armor but didn’t really like much the other sets. The Mesmer and Paragon being my 2 favorites and so that’s what I got. And my Assassin was oh so cool with her Chaos Gloves!
I don’t know maybe I will get to love my girls in gw2 as well…eventually but at this stage I just don’t feel the same attachment to them as I did to these from gw1.

1) Elementalist
2)Ranger
3)Assassin
4)Mesmer
5)Necromancer
6)Dervish
7)Ritualist
8)Paragon
9)Warrior

Edit: just had to add my warrior lol.

(edited by Tiger Ashante.1792)

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

My Dragos Flatbow.

The ability of rangers to use the geography of the land to gain advantages with particular bows.

I also miss my Ritualist, and I miss my heroes, especially Gwen.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: jsalemi.3268

jsalemi.3268

@Tiger: Oh, yea, man, I loved the female ranger and assassin gear in GW1. I’d love to find similar gear in GW2. Heck, I’d be happy to have Eir’s outfit for my Norn ranger…

Posted by: Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Capes
most everything looked better with a cape

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I miss the eternal tonics we could use to change into other people/creatures and still be able to go out into combat with them.
A friend and I used to do things such as team up, both change into Jora and both take Jora as a hero, then all take a team of 4 Joras and other heroes into combat. It was funny to see.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I miss Koss and my Canthan Phoenix that I tamed on my mesmer .

Tiger Ashante.1792

Oh yea the other thing I really, really miss, is the gw1 emotes and dances and how each class had its own dance that distinguished them form the others, rather than racially based ones in gw2.
The one that made me crack up every time, especially when i saw a synched dance by a few, was the male Necro dance. I could stand there and watch them for ages and just laugh my head off. It was so well done. Oh and the Ritualist male dance was oh sooooo sexy I couldn’t get enough of it lol.

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

Capes
most everything looked better with a cape

Maybe we’ll get capes as ascended back pieces in wubwub.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

• Capping Elite SKills
  • Chaos Axe
  • Eye of the North style Dungeons
  • Ritualists

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Skill hunting.

One of the most fun and dynamic things about GW1 was you needed to maximize skills sets for an encounter or two.

Like for example I kept banging my head against the wall with Abbaddon, so I went out of my way for god knows how many hours to figure out what cleanses I should be using, track them down in game to arm up my heroes. And beaten Abbadon was hugely rewarding.

You just don’t get that with GW2. But it is something they can bring back.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

My frothy stein adorned guild cape.

Absolutely.

Edit: Added the screenie, because your comment made me think of this: it’s not the cape, but of what the cape stood for. I really miss the tournament ladders, and the excitement of following them, of watching the matches, of it all.

Attachments:

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Tiger Ashante.1792

Yes definitely skill capping too. I remember going for Legendary Skill Hunter title and it took ages. Just Nightfall had like 130+ elite skills. I did find Prophecies frustrating for skill capping tho, as it has a unique set up there, where several bosses may share the same spawn areas so there was no guarantee one you wanted would spawn. I’ll never forget capping skills in Snake Dance lol (Snake Dance is basically Lonar Pass in gw2 except there wasn’t a single outpost in the entire map and ofc it looks different now).
So you can imagine if you got to middle of Snake Dance and the boss there isn’t the one you want aagggrrrr lol.

For those that may be interested in the process and are unfamiliar with gw1 and skill capping, it was an intriguing process where you hunted bosses across all gw1 expacs to cap their skills. You acquired a signet of capture form a skill merchant and you had to replace a skills on the bar with it (you could equip 2 max at any given outing). The fun part being, if you cap 2 Elite skills and since you already have 1 equipped you could have 3 elite skills on your bar as long as you stayed in the map. It was a great way to vanquish a map too.
Anyway, when you found the boss you okittenill him and then cast the signet of capture on his body. This would open up his skill bar and give you a choice of his skills. Simply click on the one you want and voila! You got a new Elite skill. Of course everyone wanted the Elite lol. This was an awesome setup really, for it showed you exactly what skills each boss used.
What I also miss is the distinguishing glow each boss had. For eg: A necro boss had a green glow while a monk boss had blue and a Mesmer had purple etc. It made them stand out and you had no qualms knowing this guy is something special…he’s a boss!

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Capes.
Capture elite skills.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Proper pants for a start.

Much of the Ritualist, Necromancer and Mesmer armour.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I miss my Mursaat Horn Bow the most!

And my Chaos Axe, Storm Bow, & Fellblade.

-

—-
——

And 1000 skills.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

Norn Prestige armor for Rangers… it looked amazing dyed blue.

If we are talking about game mechanics, then dual professions and skill capturing for sure…

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

When I made my guild here and had finally enough points to open up the emblem design I was slightly disapointed. The reason being unlike GW1 there were very few emblem options and they were not as good in my opinion. So I would like any of the missing emblems from GW1 brought over.

Also even the colours looked better in GW1 for some reason. What happened exactly that has made a true looking gold/silver to disapper totally from the game? I don’t know maybe it was because the emblems were on capes and not backpacks etc but to me your char just looked more “alive” because of the colour , lol I don’t what I mean by that but silver and gold (realistic looking) have gone now.

Now perhaps we should also add things that we didn’t like on GW1 and hope they never bring them back lol. For me it would be “scraping” maps to get the 100% for them – totally annoying!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The Chaos Axe – or Glow Stick of Spiky Death – gosh, that thing looked awesome. I guess it wouldn’t work the same in GW2 though, since the glow effect changed depending on what you dyed it, and you can’t dye weapons in GW2.

> Get Warrior or Ranger
> Equip 2 Axes of different colours
> Use skill 5
> Use the infinite animation loop
> Instant Rave

• Skill Capping
  • Skill Synergy
  • The way only small amounts of the map would uncover, as opposed to huge chunks at a time.
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Elite skill capping, saving your builds (WhY is this not in Tha GaME!?!), just 8 skills but you could put ‘m everywhere you want, 2 professions, My Dhuums soul reaper :’(, a random arena, and yes…

The holy trinity!

When I heared guild wars 2 wouldn’t have something like a trinity I was excited (never again waiting 3,5 hours for a dam spiker in temple of ages). But they completely removed something like a trinity, you always feel.. ‘Average’ with your group, and there is no healer!

I miss guild wars, soo much

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Elite skill capping, saving your builds (WhY is this not in Tha GaME!?!), just 8 skills but you could put ‘m everywhere you want, 2 professions, My Dhuums soul reaper :’(, a random arena, and yes…

The holy trinity!

When I heared guild wars 2 wouldn’t have something like a trinity I was excited (never again waiting 3,5 hours for a dam spiker in temple of ages). But they completely removed something like a trinity, you always feel.. ‘Average’ with your group, and there is no healer!

I miss guild wars, soo much

Funny as an Engineer in dungoens I do pretty well at healing others. I’m sure if I built my guardian and Ele as healing builds I could do just as well.

The problem is not that there are no healing classes it’s more that there are no tank classes. Tbh no one char can or should be the only tank (person taking damage) in ANY boss fight. You have to spread the damage around, get in close do some damage, take too much yourself and get out to heal up.

Oh and I miss having more weapon sets we can change to during combat.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Exiled.6901

Exiled.6901

Hello, just wanted to remind people saying there are too few skins compared to gw1, know, that gw: prophecies was also short on skins and what are you talking about is 3 expansions worth of content and skins. If Anet keeps the pace with releasing as many skins in every expansion, it will be a skinfest to look for.

Well, back to topic. I loved my zodiac longbow

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

As far as skin are concerned :
Hierophant, Mursaat and Zodiac bow
Jade sword
Female warrior vabbian armor
Elite druid female armor
(and so much more in term of armor style but well…)

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Mesmer elite Rogue armor.

Posted by: Onufrie.6572

Onufrie.6572

I sooo much miss “Fort Aspenwood” game mode.
Thought they gonna implement such mode, but oh well…..

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Jade Quarry where I used to farm zkeys.
My full HOM in all its glory with my miniature collection which consisted of most with exception of a few.
Standing in Kamadan power trading for hours at a time and chatting with long forgotten friends.
Lolling like crazy when Dhumm would pop out of nowhere and reap some well deserving exploiting soul.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Fort Aspenwood

the REAL mesmer with their more dangerous hexes

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Oh gods yes, LumAnth. I miss hexes. Back in GW1, my main for the first for years was my Necromancer, who I played as Spiteful Spirit whenever I could. For the last two years, I mained a Mesmer. She was primarily Domination, and was the character with whom I eventually got GWAMM.

I miss a lot of the PvP modes too. Deathmatch is the one that keeps popping up as a request, but Fort Aspenwood and the Jade Quarry were inventive and I appreciated the plethora of objectives and playstyles you could adopt there. Alliance Battles were a variation on the Conquest mode we already have in GW2, but they were bigger in every way and the structure (4+4+4 vs 4+4+4) was pretty neat.

I miss a few of the dungeon modes too. I do like what GW2 has available, and I think Fractals is better than anything in GW1, but I still think that there are things from that old game that could be built upon in GW2. The environmental challenges posed in the rooms of Urgoz’s Warren and The Deep, the idea of several quests/tasks leading to something bigger as in The Underworld and the Domain of Anguish.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

I miss my monk! =(
And that sexy staff
And that armor

Also, one thing I’m sure many of us gw1 players miss: shield sets
Dear god I also miss Fort Aspenwood, real mesmers, click-to-move, real rangers and BIG AXES and HAMMERS!
time to reminisce…..

Nothing to do with playstyle, instances, any of that… things. What things do you miss that you had from GW1. There’s one thing that I’m most nostalgic for from the old days that I would love to find on the HoM vendor… way back before inscriptions in GW1 I found a req 7 (I’m pretty sure it’s 7, could have been 8 but pretty sure 7…) max damage 15/50 Platinum bow. That bow I still have on the account to this day. If I could have the skin from that bow brought forwards to today… I wuvved that bow.

Max q7 bows never existed. Yours is most likely q8.

Attachments:

(edited by Mada.5319)

Posted by: Frap.2164

Frap.2164

I miss playing something similar to Alliance Battles and owning towns. Basically all I did in GW1 was faction farm/JQ/AB (back when people did it) and had a blast doing it. Now in GW2 when I log in I feel like there’s nothing to do. Having a system where an alliance owned a town made it feel like I was contributing to something in the game. I would play with my guild and we would all donate and have to work hard in order to keep Cavalon. Or, if we didn’t own Cavalon then work towards taking it over. I never got bored of doing AB’s/JQ. Guilds in the original Guild Wars actually had meaning. Now you can join as many guilds as you want (5? or maybe no cap?). The biggest part of the original GW was playing with my guild. The PvP in this game seems repetitive and It’s impossible for me to get a group together for ranked tournaments. I’m really hoping they add something like this with the expansion, or else I might have to find another game to play.