Something I miss from GW1.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Frap.2164

Frap.2164

Going to add onto my post above since I thought of some more things and you can’t edit posts. Another one of my favorite things to do in GW1 was make builds for certain activities. I’ve used the same build in GW2 basically since release and there’s really no incentive to change it up. My builds folder in GW1 was huge (300,400 builds). Each one of them was useful in their own way. I would spend hours theory-crafting and then go test the builds out in Random Arenas or form a group and do Team Arenas (back before they took that out).

I also miss something like Urgoz/The Deep. I remember for a while there were 3 districts of people in each one of these places and you could continue doing them and never get bored. Now I feel lost whenever I try and get a group together for a dungeon in GW2. Districts made it easy to form groups and find people to do similar things with. They also made it so I could sit and chat it up with people while waiting to enter JQ/FA/or an alliance battle. In GW2 I can’t find where all the people are. In LA no one ever talks or interacts with each other. Now everyone posts their LFG’s on a website. I feel that instead of a LFG tool which people are wanting, they should just add districts/areas before a dungeon where everyone can go and form a group together.

Also, titles were a big thing in GW1. People would sit in town and spam /zrank or /rank and show off their achievements. Now they seem useless and I find it hard to actually see what I need to do in order to gain a new title. When people wear their titles you actually have to be looking for them. In GW1 as soon as you hovered over someones name you would immediately know what they have achieved.

Posted by: holotype.1643

holotype.1643

I would say this: the game is in its first few months since release, there is a metric ton of additional content that is coming, guys…..armor, weapons, races, (professions?..surely), new lands, new pvp modes, probably GvG, etc. etc. etc.

This game really has just gotten started.

As far as GW1, there are alot of things I miss (the entire continent of Cantha, which we may never see again, for example). But though I miss those armor sets and those cool places, I’m also interested in seeing new places, new races, new armor….and building some new nostalgia.

Championing Blackgate since Aug. 25, 2012
[UV]

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

player to player trading
books to fill and flick through
HoM or anything like it
and I’m really sorry to say this but: Quests!!!
I loved doing them and I understand that the new system is more advanced and alive, but can’t they coexist?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I miss my girls from gw1…all of them. I wish i could have had them imported into this game….skills and armor included! That’s not all of them, I had 12 in gw1 lol.
I miss my Mesmer’s Obsidian Armor although in the image here I got her wearing a skirt from a different Elite set, as I had multiple Elite sets for all the girls and like to mix and match them. All the Armor sets were so well designed with very few to no clippings and you could perfectly mix and match them.
I love the Paragon Oby Armor too. I had enough to get most of the girls Oby Armor but didn’t really like much the other sets. The Mesmer and Paragon being my 2 favorites and so that’s what I got. And my Assassin was oh so cool with her Chaos Gloves!
I don’t know maybe I will get to love my girls in gw2 as well…eventually but at this stage I just don’t feel the same attachment to them as I did to these from gw1.

1) Elementalist
2)Ranger
3)Assassin
4)Mesmer
5)Necromancer
6)Dervish
7)Ritualist
8)Paragon
9)Warrior

Edit: just had to add my warrior lol.

Wow your thread…it made me remember how good Guildwars armors were back then, i wonder what happened with GW2 armor sets, 99% of them are just pretty ugly now..great post.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’d love to see the asuran specs – its the only thing missing to re-create my original ele in this game. Also, that cool staff from a pre-order bonus. Something like Hourglass Staff? I can’t remember.

I don’t miss the awful ele armor in GW1. They were almost entirely all dull and unimaginative and I’m glad to see so many better options in GW2.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Things I miss from GW1:

1. Many skills to pick from to make your own build.
The one-build-per-weapon system just feels bland and can get boring. Traits and utilities seem just very little we can customize compared to picking 8 skills from 100s of skills. It gave you the option to run crazy builds.
Also, every class has the same skills per weapon and the only thing that sets them apart are traits, equipment, chosen set of utility skills and race. And with the lack of a secondary profession, it diminishes the uniqueness of a certain mesmer or warrior even more.

2. 15k/10k armor.
These armors usually were the better-looking standard armor which was great. In GW2 everything is different.

3. Unique weapons from bosses.
It gives the world a greater definition and makes bosses more memorable.
Here you encounter champions and veterans and the only thing that is striking is that champions are a little bigger usually and have much more HP. There are no real memorable bosses besides some of the so-called ‘world’ bosses.

4. Capturing elite skills.
The elite skills in GW2 are fairly nice, but the fact that you cannot capture it from some distant boss, denies a greater PvE experience imo. The skills are easily obtainable and don’t leave an impression unlike in GW1 where you knew that this elite skill was obtainable only in some areas, mostly tougher areas and from certain bosses, making these bosses and elite skills more memorable.

5. Random Arenas.
Currently it’s either a zergfest or a capture fest. Whatever happened to gladiator-style where the team who is wiped out loses.

6. Large scale missions.
This required that you teamed up with certain memorable characters or other players to continue with a part of the story and it was necessary for you in order to get to higher-end areas (except for the prophecies). And you got rewarded for completing the mission in a certain way (challenges) that added great gameplay.
The chapters in GW2 are small and become tedious to do with so many of them and with the constant different level requirements. Moreover, you get rewarded no matter how you do it, as long as you complete the chapter.
Also, because the areas in which these chapters happen are areas you can walk on any time, it looks as if nothing ever happened there when you do.
Lastly, there is no replay value, on the same character, of a certain mission/chapter after you have done them all.

There are probably more things I find better designed and more fun to play with in GW1 that I can’t think of atm.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

(edited by Flamenco.3894)

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I miss my monk! =(
And that sexy staff
And that armor

Also, one thing I’m sure many of us gw1 players miss: shield sets
Dear god I also miss Fort Aspenwood, real mesmers, click-to-move, real rangers and BIG AXES and HAMMERS!
time to reminisce…..

Nothing to do with playstyle, instances, any of that… things. What things do you miss that you had from GW1. There’s one thing that I’m most nostalgic for from the old days that I would love to find on the HoM vendor… way back before inscriptions in GW1 I found a req 7 (I’m pretty sure it’s 7, could have been 8 but pretty sure 7…) max damage 15/50 Platinum bow. That bow I still have on the account to this day. If I could have the skin from that bow brought forwards to today… I wuvved that bow.

Max q7 bows never existed. Yours is most likely q8.

You’re right, I just verified it. Req 8 Fiery Platinum bow of Sundering IIRC… sigh…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Easy, Emerald Blade, 10000%. I love it because it was beautiful but not overly huge/ridiculous.

Although Chaos axe would also be nice.

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

All the dagger skins.. or well, any dagger skin at all would do.

GW2 either has colourful knifes (guess what, their for cutting, not stabbing) or fancy glowing.. things (more a wand/focus than a dagger).

You had so many cool weapon skins in GW1 Anet, what happened?

Also dyeing weapons, please?

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

My Divine Aura.
I was gutted when they didn’t bring that forward for the GW2 collector’s edition. Instead we got a bunch of temporary crap, a useless ring and a never-used elite.

Oh, and my Aion Wings.

Edit:
Heck, the /bonus items and function were awesome too. I built up a massive amount over the years, and it made equipping heroes really easy.
Plus, some of the skins were really nice to boot!
This is how much Guild Wars has changed and why I get angry at the “You have to GRIND if you want the best gear!” crowd.
At any time in GW1, I could type /bonus and instantly receive a bunch of top tier gear, making gearing a snip. They weren’t necessarily the best stats and had to have additional things added to them to be completely effective, but it was a LOT better than the current grind for gear in GW2.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

(edited by Mungrul.9358)

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

Obsidian Armor….

Posted by: Lucky.3298

Lucky.3298

I miss like all =(

1. Large number of weapon and armor skins
2. Some unique skins like chaos but not only (look GW1 wiki for skins, choose yours)
3. Number of skills and combos
4. Free transportation
5. Clearly visible loot bag
6. Heroes
7. Missions
8. Cinematic cut scenes
9. Treasure chests and hunt for them
10. Random Arenas
11. Dungeon runners
12. Non fail salvage kit
13. Unique areas like UW etc, God favor
14. Hard Mod
15. Guild Wars (rofl sounds fun at game with name guild wars 2)
16. Guild Alliance and free cape for all (can be tabard but MUST be free)
17. Miss healers NPC as we rarely picked healer class to play pure healer.
18. Actually we are all class/monk here only don’t have enough healing IMO, so miss it.
19. Tons of mini game activities / nice events
20. Stunning story lines
21. Guild hall

Umm may be that it or i miss something I can’t remember anymore. I still love GW1 pretty much even if I can’t play it anymore (overdone I guess).

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Player collision detection (ie. bodyblocking.)

I felt it made GW1 far more physical and plausible compared to other MMOs where you clip through everyone.

You could have “realistic-ish” tanking, by having 3 warriors block a narrow corridor, for instance. No need for stupid taunt and aggro mechanics, just stand in the way like you’re supposed to.

Posted by: Aevic.9675

Aevic.9675

As a Charr… I’m sorry everyone for not letting you have capes… please don’t hurt me… I miss them too.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I miss my everlasting Kunnevang tonic. I was so happy when I got that. lol

VOLKON.1290

I logged into GW last night to check that platinum bow, into Old L.A. Had to hang around a few minutes and absorb the nostalgia. Still looked like plenty of folks running around, still people hawking their wares in chat… then it was time for bed.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Posted by: nichol.3810

nichol.3810

-Capes (!)
-Fissure of Woe
-A Trading-Card-Game like mass of Skills
-Skillcapture
-Pure-Viable Healbuilds
-Save & Loading Builds
-Farm for Glowing Hands

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Cantha and Guild Halls.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Think we’ll have Wintersday in July in GW2?

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I have to say that I love GW2 and I know there is much content that will be coming our way. The only thing from GW1 that I am severely dissapointed about that was not included in GW2 is the Ritualist class. Nothing like it exists in GW2 and I am hoping it will make a return some day. But I think ANet has done a great job with the game with the sole exception of how guilds/alliances are handled.

1. The Ritualist class.
2. Saving Builds
3. Guild Halls
4. Alliances and Alliance Chat
5. Mursaat (loved these as bad guys!)
6. Cantha
7. Celestial weapon skins.
8. Istan
9. White Mantle (Also great bad guys)
10. Hydra & Dinosaurs (Were all of these killed off in the Ascalon & Maguuma areas?)

Posted by: Strelok.3051

Strelok.3051

I’d love to have my old Storm Bow back. That’s still one of my favorite weapons.

Attachments:

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

My minion master prior to nerf patch in GW1. I loved having a huge army of undead, that was so much fun. Then arenanet nerfed fun

Posted by: Miomooki.3812

Miomooki.3812

Ritualist…….
Hexes
Vanquishing
Skill capping
Unique armors for each profession

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I always loved the level of detail they put into combat animations. They even created unique and very beautiful casting animations for melee weapon wielding Ritualists.

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Capturing your elite skills and having more than 3 to choose from. Having 30 to choose from and then 30 from every other class ingame.

Duel classes.

More skill choices and rearranging your skill bar.

Glows around bosses.

Bosses actually only using available skills ingame but being higher lvl than the lvl cap.

Posted by: Alusian Fareluil.9254

Alusian Fareluil.9254

I always loved the level of detail they put into combat animations. They even created unique and very beautiful casting animations for melee weapon wielding Ritualists.

There were melee animations for Paragon that were pretty cool too.

I miss Alliance battles, my female warriors hair style, and playing a hardcore PBAoE E/W. d/d elementalist is just not the same, although it looks way cooler now.

Posted by: Marvinus.4780

Marvinus.4780

I miss cantha and all the pvp content with it such as fort aspenwood and the guild system where you fight for town. And of course i’m really worried about my luxons friends and even the kurzicks.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Elite skill capping, saving your builds (WhY is this not in Tha GaME!?!), just 8 skills but you could put ‘m everywhere you want, 2 professions, My Dhuums soul reaper :’(, a random arena, and yes…

The holy trinity!

Sorry…I have to address this. It appears there’s a lot of rose tinted glasses when looking back on GW1 (I loved that game, btw…gwamm ftw).

• Elite Skill Capturing: People hated this. Yes, they hated it. Factions and Nightfall skills were easy to capture. But if you wanted the legendary title, you had to capture skills from prophecies. This often meant running through snake dance (Lornar’s Pass in GW2), up to an area where the boss that had the skill you wanted may not even bee there. They had enough people dislike skill capturing that they implemented elite tomes, where you could simply pay not to be frustrated with the skill capture process.
  • Dhumm’s Soul Reaper: I agree…my favorites where oppressor weapons and zodiac weapons. I also LOVED the gear that you could get from the Zaishen Chest. My personal fave was the Draconic Aegis (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Draconic_Aegis). If I were working on the dev team, I would probably release 4 or 5 skins per month from GW1 for GW2 on the cash shop…EASY money.
  • The Holy Trinity: I understand that people like having roles. I enjoyed shadow-form tanking on my assassin myself. However, what people fail to remember is how much time we spent NOT PLAYING THE GAME. LFG healer? LFG A/E Shadow Form tank? LFG Echo panic mesmer….r6 Lightbringer or higher only. I had to plan on waiting at least 1 hour to start a DoA run.

I’m not saying that you are wrong in your likes. I’m sure there are people who enjoyed skill capturing, people who were not concerned with balance in PvE and loved having access to almost all skills. And I admit I loved the conversations I had with my guildmates while waiting an hour for our pocket tank or healer to log on. But I don’t think GW1 was as perfect as people often make it out to be.

Who in their right mind would wield Shiro’s Daggers…on a ritualist, no less?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Elite skill capping, saving your builds (WhY is this not in Tha GaME!?!), just 8 skills but you could put ‘m everywhere you want, 2 professions, My Dhuums soul reaper :’(, a random arena, and yes…

The holy trinity!

Sorry…I have to address this. It appears there’s a lot of rose tinted glasses when looking back on GW1 (I loved that game, btw…gwamm ftw).

• Elite Skill Capturing: People hated this. Yes, they hated it. Factions and Nightfall skills were easy to capture. But if you wanted the legendary title, you had to capture skills from prophecies. This often meant running through snake dance (Lornar’s Pass in GW2), up to an area where the boss that had the skill you wanted may not even bee there. They had enough people dislike skill capturing that they implemented elite tomes, where you could simply pay not to be frustrated with the skill capture process.

Two things: 1, the boss you’re probably talking about is Maw the Mountain heart, who is legendary as the hardest to reach boss in the game. Personally, I found the quest to capture feast of corruption to actually be a lot of fun.

And 2, that would be a Spirit’s Strength Rit, which I used to see a lot in Fort Aspenwood. They did quite a bit of damage.

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

I’d love to have my old Storm Bow back. That’s still one of my favorite weapons.

just imagine the amount of charged lodestones you would need to craft it….

Posted by: Yumiya.3951

Yumiya.3951

If I could choose one GW1 item, without a doubt, I’d choose for the Zodiac Longbow.

VOLKON.1290

How can we all forget Fozzy?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

I miss the ability to change ‘skills’ and the lack of need to grind new equipment for stats.

Posted by: Aureole.7862

Aureole.7862

GvG.
Flag running.
Split.
Guildlord Ganks.
Victory or Death.
Spikes.
IWAY and holding the Hall of Heroes till 5am.

Monks.
The Warrior.
Frenzy and Rush.
Bull’s Strike and Shock.
Quarterstepping and Quarterknocking.
Bodyblocking.
Distracting shot and Power Block.
Diversion.
The Music.
The Jade Sea, the Echovald Forest, Luxon and Kurzick.
Warrior Gladiator Armor.
Warrior Primeval boots.
The Echovald shield.

(edited by Aureole.7862)

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Elite Sunspear and Canthan armors.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I only put them on for demonstrational purposes. They were the largest daggers I had on hand.

edit: Oh, and I forgot something. The thematic armor design made it really easy to mix different gear pieces and still look like the set you’re wearing belongs together.

Attachments:

(edited by ASB.4295)