Something MUST be done about the RP in DR

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Unseenstrike.2971

Unseenstrike.2971

I beg you, make an RP channel, just for rp, that rp players can use, and spam to their hearts content, about their bunched panties that need adjusting, the sand that got in there that’s making them wiggle, about how they feel hot about it, and all the other inane gunf they spam about. I’m at my wits end of seeing this sort of thing. In Divinity’s Reach today my eyeballs were assaulted not only by rp spam, but by swear words.

I cannot easily block all the people that rp, as they use the /me command, I cannot click on them to block them. Many have special characters in their name, and some disguise their names, and there can be dozens of people that rp at once. There can be a literal wall of gray text on your screen.

I do not want to block emotes and I shouldn’t have to, I want to know when guildies wave at me etc, so I can wave back and not be rude.

Some rp people justify themselves, saying Anet made a LFG for Role Play, therefore it’s allowed. I don’t have any problem at all with rp – what I have a problem with is that it is unwanted text on my screen, and contains things that I do not want to read, especially the erp.

Please, make an island that rpers can go to, or a channel of chat just for them.

WHY they HAVE to do it in public I do not know – but I do NOT want it!

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I’ve got no issue with roleplayers but I do agree that the emote walls of text in DR when I’m using my terrace pass do my head in. I like emotes (especially in WvW when they can be used to show that you’re non-hostile when on an opposing team) and it bugs me to have to turn them on and off because of the spam in one map. I understand people RPing in cities because that’s often part of the RP, but I agree a separate chat channel would be the best option and also make non-RPers less hostile towards those who RP.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Oh, please, I want it. I love to read RP while I’m passing through any place.

More constructive: Please Anet, add the previously proposed RP checkbox to facilitate people who likes rp to end together in the megaserver instances. And to facilitate people who don’t like rp to NOT end with rpers.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

RP is a…niche hobby I don’t quite get either, but I feel like this suggestion would be great no matter what side of the fence you’re on. On the one hand, we non rp’ers really don’t care to see some of the more intimate things these people like to do, but on the other hand, I’m sure the rp crowd would love to have their own little private space.
Like, I’d love to be all “get a room, gaiz” when things get saucy, but Anet just doesn’t have rooms for them. So they’re stuck out in the public where they’re open to all kinds of trolling and ridicule, (which isn’t fair to them. They don’t intentionally go out of their way to disrupt MY game) and everyone else is stuck watching them do…whatever.
So I hope someone important sees your suggestion and does something with it!

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

(edited by Squee.7829)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It would help a ton if the emote range were a bit less. Perhaps a lot less. A dedicated channel is an issue because then it’s what, map wide? RPers don’t want mingled RP from further than their characters can interact any more than you do.

In the past ANet did reduce the emote range to a much more reasonable radius (say, the width of a large inn), but in some patch or other that broke to make it carry for miles again.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I beg you, make an RP channel, just for rp, that rp players can use, and spam to their hearts content,

“Spam”?

Using /say chat is not spam. Roleplayers have just as much right to use the /say channel for friendly, in-character chat as those players who like to use it for out of character chat. If it bothers you that much, just use a different channel and make new chat tabs that don’t have /say or /emotes ticked.

RP is NOT spam.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

An RP channel is open to abuse by non rpers though surely?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The main issue is the emote range. Say chat’s range limit is fine, but the emote one goes waaaaaaay farther than Say. As Donari said, a lot of problems would be solved if the emote range were made a lot shorter. As it is now, you can be a ridiculous distance away from the RP players and still “hear” the emote text.

Squee.7829

An RP channel is open to abuse by non rpers though surely?

Most definitely, but only by those who are seeking specifically to attack RP’ers. Luckily, that’s a sad minority. But most people who don’t RP don’t REALLY care about RP people and won’t even notice they exist unless they happen across some in the wild.
So yes, even with a dedicated RP channel, you’d still get trolls, but far less than before. Because now you’re not dealing with the casual troll who is just attacking whatever he/she comes across in chat.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I agree, but i would expect it feel more invasive to have a dedicated channel interrupted and spammed, rather than how it is now?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

It would help a ton if the emote range were a bit less. Perhaps a lot less. A dedicated channel is an issue because then it’s what, map wide? RPers don’t want mingled RP from further than their characters can interact any more than you do.

In the past ANet did reduce the emote range to a much more reasonable radius (say, the width of a large inn), but in some patch or other that broke to make it carry for miles again.

Yeah, I think this is the root of the problem. And I say this as an RPer.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Unseenstrike.2971

Unseenstrike.2971

I beg you, make an RP channel, just for rp, that rp players can use, and spam to their hearts content,

“Spam”?

Using /say chat is not spam. Roleplayers have just as much right to use the /say channel for friendly, in-character chat as those players who like to use it for out of character chat. If it bothers you that much, just use a different channel and make new chat tabs that don’t have /say or /emotes ticked.

RP is NOT spam.

I looked at google for a definition of spam, I found this, quote, “irrelevant or unsolicited messages” – and that is exactly what most of that rp is to me, so I do define a lot of it as spam (particularly when it is repeated over and over again, for example, when someone is grinding on the lap of another).

You say “friendly, in-character chat”, I’m not talking about that, I’m talking about the spamming, the swearing, the abuse and the erp.

Everyone has a right to use the /me command and that is fine, what is not fine is spamming, and abuse.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

RP people talk about some sick kitten… The last one I saw someone was talking about Modrem sexually assualting someones child who had cancer from taking bloodstone drugs.

So yea, please give them their own channel to RP.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

penelopehannibal.8947

RP people talk about some sick kitten… The last one I saw someone was talking about Modrem sexually assualting someones child who had cancer from taking bloodstone drugs.

That does not sound like Roleplayers to me, but sounds like trolls who take the mickey out of RPers. Please don’t smear Roleplayers like this.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

penelopehannibal.8947

“Spam”?

RP is NOT spam.

I looked at google for a definition of spam, I found this, quote, “irrelevant or unsolicited messages” – and that is exactly what most of that rp is to me, so I do define a lot of it as spam (particularly when it is repeated over and over again, for example, when someone is grinding on the lap of another).

You say “friendly, in-character chat”, I’m not talking about that, I’m talking about the spamming, the swearing, the abuse and the erp.

Everyone has a right to use the /me command and that is fine, what is not fine is spamming, and abuse.

Except it’s not unsolicited because roleplayers are talking amongst each other. Otherwise by your definition unsolicited talk is anyone who is not talking to you specifically. Let’s have only you and your friends who talk to you have their own chat channel instead, that’d save a lot of developer’s time.

Oh wait, that already exists, doesn’kitten It’s called ‘party’ and ‘guild’ chat. There you go.

Again, please do not smear roleplayers. They contribute a lot to this great game. Some of them a lot more than most non-roleplayers. They buy the game just like any other player. They spend money on gems for outfits like any other player. And most of them spend a lot more time in the game than most non-roleplayers.

I agree with you that the ERP should be private though. But if you’re going to want to put a stop to public ERP by roleplayers, then equally a stop should be put to non-roleplayers who shout and swear ‘lel top kek’ and make sick jokes in /say and /map chat. Which can already be dealt with via the function of in-game reporting.

I’m from Piken Square – virtually no roleplayer I have ever seen has partaken in public ERP in the four years I’ve RP’d there. I can’t say if the same is true for Tarnished Coast/NA roleplayers though. But the EU RPers are usually a friendly bunch that know to take indecent ERP to private channels (usually Salma )

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Thank you Penelope, for saying what I wanted to say.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ERP can be reported. If it’s especially… graphic, then create a support ticket and include screenshots of the dialogue.

Other than that, I have emotes turned off in chat and so I never see any RP in DR, good, bad, vulgar, erotic, or other. I was never bothered by the content, just that I couldn’t read any /guild or /map chat due to the volumes of text spewing from a small fraction of the RPers.

Regardless, I’d love to see ANet consider the possibility of an /rp channel, especially because it would be opt-in rather than the current situation in which people need to block emotes and/or /say if they choose to avoid RP for whatever reasons (good or bad).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: LadySwan.8751

LadySwan.8751

I’m part of the RP community in NA and i have to say the Public ERP isn’t a thing. Yes, some people have the mistake of ACCIDENTALLY posting it out in a /me or /s but dear gods is that embarrassing for them and I’m sure they don’t mean to.(Very very very rare) Those who DO ERP in public are probably trolls, imo. Because no sensible role player would really submit themselves to that kind of embarrassment. I’ve also never really seen anyone do this kind of thing on purpose, and I spend all day in DR.

Divinity’s Reach is one of the very few places where RP still thrives and i wouldn’t like to see it die down any time soon. Megaservers kind of killed it…a lot.

As the previous comment mentioned, please don’t smear roleplayers for these types of things. I’m sure if they had they choice they’d want an rp server for themselves with no ‘haters’ out there as well, but alas we don’t have that choice anymore.

Squee.7829

I agree, but i would expect it feel more invasive to have a dedicated channel interrupted and spammed, rather than how it is now?

Maybe. But far less frequent, thus easier to block or ignore.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Op, thank you for a good laugh, really it’s been a long time i laughed so hard i started crying and gasping for air.

Edit: i saw today little asura saying to another asura that she regrets to make him her chocolate lover because it makes her sticky. Whatever that means.

(edited by Oxidia.8103)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The only thing I would like to suggest is the ability to block/report emotes.

Otherwise, emotes can be turned off. I don’t believe in segregating people just because I don’t like what they’re doing on the off chance that someone I know is going to throw me a emote of some substance… which is like never.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

penelopehannibal.8947

Here’s a tip for anyone who is worried about ‘flooding’ or so-called ‘spam’:

I’ve found that whenever people complain about RP (or any kind of chat come to think of it, it’s just roleplayers get unfairly singled out more often than not) most of the time it is from players who have stuck with the default chat channels that ArenaNet give you when you first start the game. I think the default is something similar to ‘Main’ and ‘Combat’.

You can create individual chat tabs, and tick which type of information you can see in that tab. The picture below shows how I have my chat tabs separated to avoid one type of chat over-running another.

I’ve found that realistically, you can have up to five ‘visible’ tabs showing at once. Any more than this and they are hidden (so you have to press the tab key to see it’s header). But five should probably be enough for most people anyway.

You don’t have to stick to how I have it, but I’ll show you what my tabs have enabled as a possible example.

Main: Has /map, /team, /squad, /emotes enabled. If you’re not a roleplayer, turn off /emotes from this one. Good for general PvE, WvW and PvP if not in a party.

Say: Self explanatory. Has /say and /emotes only enabled. If you’re a roleplayer like myself, this is where most of your RP will be conducted.

Whisper: Only has /whisper enabled. You don’t see anything else, no /say or /emote here, so no whispers can be missed.

Party: Has /party, /squad and /team enabled. Ideal for doing PvP or Dungeons, Fractals and Raids when in a team. If you’re a roleplayer who RPs with party members, you can turn on /emotes here as well. Beware though – if you type an emote in /party chat, it can be seen publicly too.

Guild: Self-explanitory. Has all the /guilds I’m in ticked. /g1 to /g5. Again, /emote and /say aren’t enable so you can’t miss a guild chat. Unless you’re on Mac Beta of course when the bug happens where it deletes! >.<

I really hope this helps people. Using chat tabs is a lot more of a friendly way of dealing with your problems than singling out any type of player. Please don’t unfairly cut out roleplayers. RP might not be to everyone’s taste, but we all have one thing in common – we’re all Guild Wars 2 players and we love this game so much! <3

Attachments:

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Bellatrixa.3546

I was never bothered by the content, just that I couldn’t read any /guild or /map chat due to the volumes of text spewing from a small fraction of the RPers.

This is the issue for me over what I see being said. I appreciate Penelope clarifying that not all RPers are inappropriate with what they say but boy, on NA we have some doozies who are; including some who don’t actually become explicit, but are… discomforting without being graphic. On my years on the internet, I have come across people who are serious about some incredibly explicit/inappropriate roleplaying and some who will do it in public, not just to troll. Whether the people I’ve seen doing it in NA DR are trolling or not is not for me to judge and the only people who will truly know are those people. Such is the nature of RPing, as I’m sure a lot of people are aware.

I’ve played my fair share of D&D over the years so honestly, I have no issue with roleplaying. Just having to change my chat options (which due to personal health reasons I can’t always remember to change back immediately) because of walls of text that are currently not supported properly by the game which interfere with what I and others are doing. The walls of text are where I think the ‘spam’ definition has some weight.

No one’s honestly saying RPers should gtho of DR (well, some people might really feel that way), just that we’d like ANet to give RPers proper integration into the game so they’re not so heavily ostracised or seen as a nuisance. The RP section being added to LFG was a great start but I think everyone can agree that there’s more that could and should be done for everyone to co-exist more harmoniously.

As for RP chat range, maybe that could be the same radius as Say chat? Also if people trolled RP chat, it’d be easier for GMs to understand the context of a report as it would be clear it was targeted harassment towards a group of players as they’d have to be typing in RP chat to do so, instead of trying to claim that they’re responding to someone else in the channels we have now. I don’t know, I don’t get why a channel dedicated to RP would be a bad thing as in my eyes it would actually give RPing more legitimacy than the current form of co-opting emotes with large walls of text, and could by extension clear up a lot of issues that people have with RPers.

dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: TheOrlyFactor.8341

TheOrlyFactor.8341

Here’s a tip for anyone who is worried about ‘flooding’ or so-called ‘spam’:

I’ve found that whenever people complain about RP (or any kind of chat come to think of it, it’s just roleplayers get unfairly singled out more often than not) most of the time it is from players who have stuck with the default chat channels that ArenaNet give you when you first start the game. I think the default is something similar to ‘Main’ and ‘Combat’.

You can create individual chat tabs, and tick which type of information you can see in that tab. The picture below shows how I have my chat tabs separated to avoid one type of chat over-running another.

I’ve found that realistically, you can have up to five ‘visible’ tabs showing at once. Any more than this and they are hidden (so you have to press the tab key to see it’s header). But five should probably be enough for most people anyway.

You don’t have to stick to how I have it, but I’ll show you what my tabs have enabled as a possible example.

Main: Has /map, /team, /squad, /emotes enabled. If you’re not a roleplayer, turn off /emotes from this one. Good for general PvE, WvW and PvP if not in a party.

Say: Self explanatory. Has /say and /emotes only enabled. If you’re a roleplayer like myself, this is where most of your RP will be conducted.

Whisper: Only has /whisper enabled. You don’t see anything else, no /say or /emote here, so no whispers can be missed.

Party: Has /party, /squad and /team enabled. Ideal for doing PvP or Dungeons, Fractals and Raids when in a team. If you’re a roleplayer who RPs with party members, you can turn on /emotes here as well. Beware though – if you type an emote in /party chat, it can be seen publicly too.

Guild: Self-explanitory. Has all the /guilds I’m in ticked. /g1 to /g5. Again, /emote and /say aren’t enable so you can’t miss a guild chat. Unless you’re on Mac Beta of course when the bug happens where it deletes! >.<

I really hope this helps people. Using chat tabs is a lot more of a friendly way of dealing with your problems than singling out any type of player. Please don’t unfairly cut out roleplayers. RP might not be to everyone’s taste, but we all have one thing in common – we’re all Guild Wars 2 players and we love this game so much! <3

So much this post. <3

Playing GW2 for the story is like expecting plot in a porno. You’ll be left disappointed.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

ERP can be reported. If it’s especially… graphic, then create a support ticket and include screenshots of the dialogue.

Yes, this is true. If you find the content offensive, not because you don’t like any roleplaying, but because a certain segment of roleplaying is crossing the line into sexually-related content, abusive chat, truly “offensive” content in the standard definition of the word, then use the in-game report system, please, and the team will review.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I was never bothered by the content, just that I couldn’t read any /guild or /map chat due to the volumes of text spewing from a small fraction of the RPers.

This is the issue for me over what I see being said. I appreciate Penelope clarifying that not all RPers are inappropriate with what they say but boy, on NA we have some doozies who are; including some who don’t actually become explicit, but are… discomforting without being graphic. On my years on the internet, I have come across people who are serious about some incredibly explicit/inappropriate roleplaying and some who will do it in public, not just to troll. Whether the people I’ve seen doing it in NA DR are trolling or not is not for me to judge and the only people who will truly know are those people. Such is the nature of RPing, as I’m sure a lot of people are aware.

I’ve played my fair share of D&D over the years so honestly, I have no issue with roleplaying. Just having to change my chat options (which due to personal health reasons I can’t always remember to change back immediately) because of walls of text that are currently not supported properly by the game which interfere with what I and others are doing. The walls of text are where I think the ‘spam’ definition has some weight.

No one’s honestly saying RPers should gtho of DR (well, some people might really feel that way), just that we’d like ANet to give RPers proper integration into the game so they’re not so heavily ostracised or seen as a nuisance. The RP section being added to LFG was a great start but I think everyone can agree that there’s more that could and should be done for everyone to co-exist more harmoniously.

As for RP chat range, maybe that could be the same radius as Say chat? Also if people trolled RP chat, it’d be easier for GMs to understand the context of a report as it would be clear it was targeted harassment towards a group of players as they’d have to be typing in RP chat to do so, instead of trying to claim that they’re responding to someone else in the channels we have now. I don’t know, I don’t get why a channel dedicated to RP would be a bad thing as in my eyes it would actually give RPing more legitimacy than the current form of co-opting emotes with large walls of text, and could by extension clear up a lot of issues that people have with RPers.

Very helpful, and thank you so much for helping with these useful suggestions. I have my chat windows separated differently, but I think you setup is great, too!

The thing I want to emphasize is that rather than ostracizing someone or a group of players, why not look for a means to allow everyone to participate in our game on a level playing field? Rather than limiting, refine! Organize your UI and I believe you will see improvements in your experience on several levels.

On the other hand, if what some of the comments referenced above is happening in All Chat or in the wide range of emotes, then it should be reported, if only for a reality check by an impartial agent.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Yes, this is true. If you find the content offensive, not because you don’t like any roleplaying, but because a certain segment of roleplaying is crossing the line into sexually-related content, abusive chat, truly “offensive” content in the standard definition of the word, then use the in-game report system, please, and the team will review.

How do we use the in game report system for /me?

(edited by Miku.6297)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

While the content of RP chat can be a problem, it supports the primary issue of emotes needing to be reworked.

A) Emotes need to not travel nearly as far.
B) The name of the person emoting needs to be interactive for reporting issues.

In the realm of RP, it would simply make it faster to click on a name and choose “report” if there was a content issue.
In trolling issues, it would make it worlds easier to be able to click in the name llililillllilliilllillilliii and report it, than trying to deal with whatever sequence of letters it actually is.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

How do we use the in game report system for /me?

You’d have to run around the area to find where the player is, then right-click their character and select the report option. For explicit/offensive chat, verbal abuse should be the correct category.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Miku.6297

^^ Sorry, that was a rhetorical question. I know you could go play scavenger hunt for the player, but it seems silly that you can’t just report it like normal.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Is the OP not aware that other cities besides DR exist that they can use ?

Miku.6297

It’s not your horse in the race, so why are you there watching ?

This is always my stance when it comes to personal choices. You have several, use them.

While it is true people have some personal choices to where they go, that’s no excuse for inappropriate behavior or messages. Just because you can “choose” to do something doesn’t mean you should do it, or that it’s socially acceptable.

Would you consider it ok to sit around a restaurant and shout bigoted comments, profanity, or act out some ERP right then and there? At very minimum you would likely be asked to leave, for the later there are possibly other consequences.

(edited by Miku.6297)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Travelling between the TP pickup and crafting stations in DR, because it’s the least irritating setup in-game. I’m not sure where the RP folks are, but they’re still at it. I shouldn’t have to shut off both /emote and /say to avoid it.

That said, I don’t particularly care either way, given my own mindset, but there ought to be a limit on it for the sake of those who really don’t want to see it.

EDIT: Call it what you will, but they’re the same names that turn up all the time. People getting their freak on with their charr, debating the morality of Charr eating the other races, holding court while critiquing the fashion choices of those who pass by.

They’re there basically every evening between 8pm and 12am ET.

(edited by stale.9785)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It’s not your horse in the race, so why are you there watching ?

This is always my stance when it comes to personal choices. You have several, use them.

While it is true people have some personal choices to where they go, that’s no excuse for inappropriate behavior or messages. Just because you can “choose” to do something doesn’t mean you should do it, or that it’s socially acceptable.

Would you consider it ok to sit around a restaurant and shout bigoted comments, profanity, or act out some ERP right then and there? At very minimum you would likely be asked to leave, for the later there are possibly other consequences.

I believe you took this the wrong way. Let me clarify.

If i see vulgarity i have several tools at my disposal. I can leave, block, turn off emotes, move to a separate chat tab or even report it.

It’s not worthy of a dear diary style rant on the forums. If you know a particular area is a haven for immature RP and you want to avoid it…..Catch my drift here ?

Miku.6297

If what you are saying is true, then these ‘freaks’ are NOT roleplayers. They are trolls. That sort of thing would be breaking the lore of the game, and roleplayers do not break the lore.

I really do suspect you are just coming onto these forums with that sort of accusation against roleplayers just to cause trouble. You sound like someone at a hotel complaining that a movie on one of the channels was a dirty movie, and all 110 minutes of it was absolutely disgusting…

I’ve seen some pretty vulgar things in DR RP, yes I would agree some are intentionally trolling, however I don’t think every single one is.

A private opt in channel would be ideal. The main point the OP was making in this post was about the amount of messages being displayed.

The other idea of limiting the /me or emote range has a downside: Random RP would be even harder to find/join. Yes there are alot of closed RP stories/groups out there that ignore anyone trying to randomly join, but some RPers do include others and a limited range would make it even harder to find and join.

I believe you took this the wrong way. Let me clarify.
If i see vulgarity i have several tools at my disposal. I can leave, block, turn off emotes, move to a separate chat tab or even report it.
It’s not worthy of a dear diary style rant on the forums. If you know a particular area is a haven for immature RP and you want to avoid it…..Catch my drift here ?

True you do have all those options; it’s still not acceptable to break the ToU while you are playing. Yes, I agree it’s not worth a rant, but I don’t really think most here are ranting. Making a post with a complaint or suggestion about something you don’t like and explaining it isn’t ranting.

(edited by Miku.6297)

penelopehannibal.8947

Travelling between the TP pickup and crafting stations in DR, because it’s the least irritating setup in-game. I’m not sure where the RP folks are, but they’re still at it. I shouldn’t have to shut off both /emote and /say to avoid it.

That said, I don’t particularly care either way, given my own mindset, but there ought to be a limit on it for the sake of those who really don’t want to see it.

EDIT: Call it what you will, but they’re the same names that turn up all the time. People getting their freak on with their charr, debating the morality of Charr eating the other races, holding court while critiquing the fashion choices of those who pass by.

Byou the same notion, role players shouldn’t have to stop role playing just because it’s not 5o your taste either. Neither should they be put in a separate box.

Apart from the “getting their freak on” publicly they are not actually doing anything wrong.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Byou the same notion, role players shouldn’t have to stop role playing just because it’s not 5o your taste either. Neither should they be put in a separate box.

Apart from the “getting their freak on” publicly they are not actually doing anything wrong.

I don’t think anyone was asking them to stop – simply limit the range of the /emote and /me commands, since right now their range appears to be the entirety of the centre of DR.

Having a separate field would work as well, since then it would be an opt-in sort of function.

Personally, I don’t find them that offensive, but I can certainly see how 90% or more of this particular groups’ output, at the very least, violate the ToS, and would be off-putting for many.

Also, someone in the chat is reading this thread, since it got referenced in-game. Just because you can fit the quaggan there, doesn’t mean you should.

Miku.6297

Would having a dedicated role play channel really be that much of “put in a seprate box” in a negative view? It might make it easier to find RPers that want to RP. Like I said it would also kill off a little of the open joining RP if a random passerby wasn’t in the RP channel, but if they wanted to RP they would probably be there.

As someone who has RP’d when the mood hits me I really have no problem with it, at the same time I can see how some people might find the long walls of RP text tedious. There has to be a better option then turning off ALL emotes or blocking people.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

How many dedicated channels do we get? If I’m RPing a stealthy roguish meeting at an ice cream cart in the Pavilion I don’t want to have to weave my lines through those of someone doing a murder investigation in Rurikton or a Charr tourist grumbling about the foolishness of the menagerie.

This is all one of the reasons I do my more involved RP either in instances or not in game at all (Mozilla EtherPad offers one of the greatest collaborative writing tools I’ve ever found AND I can save it with cut and paste rather than laborious screenshots of chats I cannot scroll line by line). But sometimes you need to be in the world you’re RPing in, and sorry, I’m going to do that like I have for four years as a Tarnished Coaster. It’s not the RPers fault ANet decided to mix everyone else in to the server (or to mix them into the other servers, either way).

I’m not defending open-channel ERP or torture or necrophilia or obscenities. That’s what instances, party chat, and non-game venues are for. I am defending creativity and the occasional romance of a tender kiss which I’m fairly confident isn’t going to ruin anyone, or at least that the devs won’t think it’s horrible. Heck, you get tender kisses in Disney animated movies like Sleeping Beauty or, more recently, Tangled.

I’d certainly rather see characters immersing in the world than the leet-speak chatter in front of the DR bank that has nothing to do with the game.

Bellatrixa.3546

My agreement the RP channel suggestion wasn’t to segregate by putting RPers in a separate box but actually to integrate by giving RPers a dedicated place for what they’re doing which could:
1) let new players to the game who are RPers see that RPing is supported, welcomed and active and encourage them to partake
2) not confuse non-RPing new players who have all chat options active by default who could think that emotes are just for roleplayers (the suggestions that people turn off emotes are essentially saying that their use is only for RPers)
3) facilitate with reporting trolls more easily seeing as you can’t report emotes as you can any other chat option (a lot of people don’t have the time and/or can’t be bothered to run around DR looking for the culprits given the range of emotes and size of the city, plus they could be moving around anyway)
4) help CS recognise when people are trolling RPers by the trolling taking place directly in the RP channel
5) have the more limited range that Donari was on about like Say chat already does so’s not to interfere with other RPers
6) actually encourage current/future non-RPers to get into RPing by seeing that it’s another facet of the game’s community other than the LFG section

I know plenty of people in my guild who like to use emotes when we’re standing around waiting to start content. While sure, people can re-organise their chat tabs/options, I feel an actual channel for RPing would help tackle some of the issues with RPers being accepted as part of the player base.

Or ANet could offer everyone with terrace passes an exchange for another pass, but that would simply be a temporary band-aid.

If I’m RPing a stealthy roguish meeting at an ice cream cart in the Pavilion I don’t want to have to weave my lines through those of someone doing a murder investigation in Rurikton or a Charr tourist grumbling about the foolishness of the menagerie.

Isn’t that what happens now in emotes which have a larger range than Say? It’s read that way to me at times which actually turns me off the RPing more than the walls of text. Even if you do want to follow what RPers are doing while standing at the terrace, you have random people emoting on top of people trying to RP as well as people’s stories all being mixed up. At least from my own personal observations.

Miku.6297

How many dedicated channels do we get? If I’m RPing a stealthy roguish meeting at an ice cream cart in the Pavilion I don’t want to have to weave my lines through those of someone doing a murder investigation in Rurikton or a Charr tourist grumbling about the foolishness of the menagerie.

Gosh this really makes me miss everquests /join (came out along with PoP or maybe late Luclin). Basicly type /join Channelname to join the channel named. If it doesn’t exist yet it creates it. Everyone who wants to join can do so. That would solve the muddled mess of messages.

Posted by: Krinstin.6287

Krinstin.6287

Seeing the comments here I am propably part of a minority, but when I play mmos I always join a RP server. Not because I RPed myself, but randomly meeting roleplayers in the middle of a community-made event always makes the game more alive, no matter the theme.
In all my years of just playing the games and never joining RPs, I have seen erp text only once, and that was in WoW when I accidentaly heartstoned an inn I thought was completely normal.
Rest assured, I turned off that chat window and went to bound in another inn.

I believe that RP is a great part of any MMORPG community, it adds depth to the lore and the world that you can’t simply do with NPCs.
It is, after all, a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game for a reason.

Back to DR and other cities, as far as Piken square (rp server) and Underworld (ex WvW champion server) goes, I have yet to see anything disturbing happen there.
I do not afk there much, but spending hours checking out skins in the bank tab or changing appearance, I tend to get distracked and read all the things that happen there.

If it is truly an issue, I would not consider making an overflow server you could join in for free anytime “for RPers only” a problem. Rest assured, I am sure it would solve many disputes like this one in the community.

I for one, would like to dive into the world of RP and see for myself if what you say is true.

But as far as I know, roleplayers are one of the friendliest parts of the community. There are bullies and other exceptions.. But on the larger scale, they aren’t RPing to compete, like people do in PvP or are not toxic like people in the Raids or Dungeons.

RP exists for fun and to connect like minded people who love the lore and want to be a part of it too. I can’t see how, as long as they are not sexual/—phobic themed In public, could they harm anyone.

(edited by Krinstin.6287)

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

That does not sound like Roleplayers to me, but sounds like trolls who take the mickey out of RPers. Please don’t smear Roleplayers like this.

I don’t understand it to be honest, I don’t even see it much but when I do I just see people have fun in thier own worlds, similar to that of animal zergs in WvW when toys were allowed. This is was just the one that stuck out as most vile to me as I was doing map completion in the last few weeks. There were a few funny ones, some genuinely looks like they are NPC’s in the city and live in the game or something too.

Given the nature of the postings in this thread though, I think it’s safe to say that what I saw may have been someone trolling an RP group for all I know. But that just furthers my +1 to this idea, I RP as a charr on a skateboard sometimes. Prob not the same as actual RP but it’s fun and I wouldn’t want anyone disturbing that fun either. I have an album of places I’ve skateboarded in this game while doing map completion lol

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Emote spam in DR has made me to block way too many people too and I really wouldn’t want to do that, but it is kinda only option since I am not going to turn emotes completely off.

Lower the emote range to the same range as /say is and most of these problems are solved. There is no reason why emote range has to be so huge that it can be seen in completely different part of the city.

It would not harm RP:ers in any way, but would spare outsider from having their screen filled with stuff that they have nothing to do with.

penelopehannibal.8947

Forum bug.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

penelopehannibal.8947

Emote spam in DR has made me to block way too many people too and I really wouldn’t want to do that, but it is kinda only option since I am not going to turn emotes completely off.

Lower the emote range to the same range as /say is and most of these problems are solved. There is no reason why emote range has to be so huge that it can be seen in completely different part of the city.

It would not harm RP:ers in any way, but would spare outsider from having their screen filled with stuff that they have nothing to do with.

You don’t have to do that. You can turn off emotes in certain chat channels. It’s quite sad to block people just because they are roleplayers. Those roleplayers might one day be able to answer a question you have about a certain aspect of the game, and you won’t be able to hear their answer.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, I think this is the root of the problem. And I say this as an RPer.

The only thing I would like to suggest is the ability to block/report emotes.

Signed,
Another RPer.
*Bolded for my biggest QoL improvement in this area of the game.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

You don’t have to do that. You can turn off emotes in certain chat channels. It’s quite sad to block people just because they are roleplayers. Those roleplayers might one day be able to answer a question you have about a certain aspect of the game, and you won’t be able to hear their answer.

I’m not blocking them because they are roleplayers but because they are filling my screen with stuff that is not in any way related to me and none of my business and making it difficult to see things that are actually for me. I have nothing against roleplayers or roleplaying, but I am not going to start modifying my otherwise very well working chat stuff just because of that.

Why is it so important to roleplayers that EVERYONE has to hear the stuff they say? Why would it be so harmful if the range of /em would be lowered to be same as /say?

If I am having a private conversation or just chatting with a group of my friends, I really do not feel that everyone in the city would have to hear our conversation. I am chatting with the group there, not with the whole city.

Again, there is nothing wrong with roleplaying. The problem is caused by the channel they use (/em). If they would use /say channel, I don’t think anyone would complain at all.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Squee.7829

I think one reason they feel safer using emote channels is because it’s more likely to be disabled on normal people’s chat bar. Honestly, how many of you really keep that channel activated? A few of you do, I’m sure. But I know I and several (as far as I know, almost all) of my friends don’t. Because I can SEE when people are sitting down. I don’t need the game to tell me. Plus, emote channel is the most likely one to get spammed. And not by RP’ers. I can’t even recall all the times I’ve been in LA (where I spend a lot of time) and I just get a 3 minute wall of grey text saying “XxInsecure Player xX is busting out some moves. Some sweet sweet dance moves” as someone repeatedly starts and stops dancing. Because reasons I guess.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

RPers don’t bother me, but as someone else mentioned, wouldn’t an RP exclusive channel be a good thing for everyone?

Non-RP people could filter RP out and RP people could have their own channel to talk and not be bothered by all the non-RP chat.

Win-win IMO.