Something MUST be done about the RP in DR

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Basically these threads always equate to this:

Non-Roleplayer: "Give roleplayers a separate channel so I don’t have to see their Roleplay.

Roleplayer: “You know you can make a separate tab of your own so you don’t have to see it?”

Non-Rolplayer: “I shouldn’t have to do that!”

Yet the roleplayer should have to be forced a new chat channel to appease those who don’t want to create their own. And then get called names by RP-haters in the process of the threads.

But RP people want a channel too…

This is one of those threads where both parties are happy with RP getting their own channel. All Anet has to do is implement it and they please everyone.

People in thread are saying as RP people they don’t want trolls but also want to help congregate all the RP people together. The non RP support it too because they don’t want “spam” or to read nasty things in the name of RP. AKA: Sexual assault and ERP.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

This /rp channel people are suggesting is redundant because it has the same function as /emote. Pointless.

This RP channel that people are suggesting would allow players to filter out the /me text while not turning off the other in game emotes. So I fail to see how that is “the same function” or pointless as this post exists obviously there are some who feel it would have a point.

Obviously the other option would be simply make /me emotes something you can turn on and off without effecting other emotes such as /wave /dance etc.

Posted by: Castitalus.6359

Castitalus.6359

This /rp channel people are suggesting is redundant because it has the same function as /emote. Pointless.

This RP channel that people are suggesting would allow players to filter out the /me text while not turning off the other in game emotes. So I fail to see how that is “the same function” or pointless as this post exists obviously there are some who feel it would have a point.

Obviously the other option would be simply make /me emotes something you can turn on and off without effecting other emotes such as /wave /dance etc.

Of course, the people who have guild members wave at them instead of using /guild and /tell would get the most of this rp channel. Because that’s so far the only reason I’ve see supporting the argument. The rp channel is the same as emote, only you can turn it off separately, how is that not the same thing?

And again, Gaile suggested different chat tabs. Solution is there, just people don’t want to use it in game hence this thread.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Different chat tabs doesn’t help if you’re trying to talk in the same channel as the problem.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Miku.6297

The rp channel is the same as emote, only you can turn it off separately, how is that not the same thing?

You answered your own question… “you can turn it off separately”

Posted by: Castitalus.6359

Castitalus.6359

The rp channel is the same as emote, only you can turn it off separately, how is that not the same thing?

So, you agree its the same thing? Cause I don’t see a point to adding something that’s already in game other than to appease people.. crafting semi afk in the hopes of a guild member waving at them… because /guild and /tell doesn’t work anymore?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

So, you agree its the same thing? Cause I don’t see a point to adding something that’s already in game other than to appease people.. crafting semi afk in the hopes of a guild member waving at them… because /guild and /tell doesn’t work anymore?

I believe it was me who gave that example and yes I agree with you, I might be stupid and patchetic for liking to see the texts of friends and guildies waving at me if I cannot see the antimation, and reply to that. That is why I was just suggesting the emote range to be lowered to be the same as /say so we all could be happy.

Other channels are also drowned in that flood.

Doesn’t really matter how patchetic it is but I rather block 10 random people than miss a message from a friend and that is what I am going to do until someting is changed.

You honestly cannot see a difference between having only one emote channel that everyone uses, and having two separate ones that can be toggled separately? One for regular emotes and one for RP use.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I like the RP on the chat window, gives some extra life into the cities…

But I do agree it is probably better to create separate chat command for RP and have filter for it…

For certain those who have issue with players who RP in MMORPG, it’s annoying to look at the players attacking them for no good reason, as most of them clearly have “RPers are losers” mentality, despite themselves playing a RPG game.
“Your rights end, when you deny another one’s rights”

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Posted by: minion.1987

minion.1987

can’t say i have a problem with rp. map chat is always dead most of the time for me. other times it’s either directions or guilds posting. so yeah. makes the game a bit boring.

Miku.6297

Currently emotes such as /wave, /dance, and others all share the same channel with /me emotes. As it stands you can’t turn off /me without turning off all emotes. With the suggested channel you could simply turn off /rp or what ever is used to type in that channel and keep emotes on.

Channel 1 can’t be separated from emotes
Channel 2 can be separated from emotes

Can’t and can are two very different terms, so the two channels obviously have one difference. You currently can’t split /me or rp emotes from normal 1 line emotes. So it wouldn’t be adding something in game.

The reasons people want to keep emotes on vary, but honestly the reasoning doesn’t really change the fact that the suggestion is different from what we currently have.

The current /guild and /tell work fine, go ahead and log in and check to make sure. I’m not sure why you are asking this.

Would it be easier to understand if I said make /me separate from normal emotes so a player could turn just /me off while leaving normal emotes on?

(edited by Miku.6297)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Byou the same notion, role players shouldn’t have to stop role playing just because it’s not 5o your taste either. Neither should they be put in a separate box.

Apart from the “getting their freak on” publicly they are not actually doing anything wrong.

Would having a dedicated role play channel really be that much of “put in a seprate box” in a negative view? It might make it easier to find RPers that want to RP. Like I said it would also kill off a little of the open joining RP if a random passerby wasn’t in the RP channel, but if they wanted to RP they would probably be there.

As someone who has RP’d when the mood hits me I really have no problem with it, at the same time I can see how some people might find the long walls of RP text tedious. There has to be a better option then turning off ALL emotes or blocking people.

The issue I have with making a dedicated channel that you’re made to RP in is that, it defeats a general principle of what RP actually is. That is, when you’re out in public with your friends, do you relegate your communication to only texts or through some sort of means of communication that is limited to only your group? No, anyone can hear your conversations. That is, because others can hear your conversation, you relegate how you speak and what you talk about. How you form your speech is related to your surroundings. You have a secret matter that isn’t for the ears of the public? Then you take someone to a corner of the room and /whisper. Feeling a bit flirty? Make a flirtatious body movement, however if it’s inappropriate you’ll likely get /slapped or scoffed at because of the people around you.

My point is, /say is the natural way to talk. Granted, if an RP channel is implemented, I don’t expect it to be where everyone isolates all their RP. They will still use /say and /em because that is what they are there for.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Byou the same notion, role players shouldn’t have to stop role playing just because it’s not 5o your taste either. Neither should they be put in a separate box.

Apart from the “getting their freak on” publicly they are not actually doing anything wrong.

Would having a dedicated role play channel really be that much of “put in a seprate box” in a negative view? It might make it easier to find RPers that want to RP. Like I said it would also kill off a little of the open joining RP if a random passerby wasn’t in the RP channel, but if they wanted to RP they would probably be there.

As someone who has RP’d when the mood hits me I really have no problem with it, at the same time I can see how some people might find the long walls of RP text tedious. There has to be a better option then turning off ALL emotes or blocking people.

The issue I have with making a dedicated channel that you’re made to RP in is that, it defeats a general principle of what RP actually is. That is, when you’re out in public with your friends, do you relegate your communication to only texts or through some sort of means of communication that is limited to only your group? No, anyone can hear your conversations. That is, because others can hear your conversation, you relegate how you speak and what you talk about. How you form your speech is related to your surroundings. You have a secret matter that isn’t for the ears of the public? Then you take someone to a corner of the room and /whisper. Feeling a bit flirty? Make a flirtatious body movement, however if it’s inappropriate you’ll likely get /slapped or scoffed at because of the people around you.

My point is, /say is the natural way to talk. Granted, if an RP channel is implemented, I don’t expect it to be where everyone isolates all their RP. They will still use /say and /em because that is what they are there for.

But in the case of MMO chats, the other channels can easily overtake the speed at which RP is done. RP usually doesn’t move really fast. But get a busy time in DR, and map chat and say chat may end up moving faster than the RP and make it harder for the RP to happen. Especially if there are multiple RP threads going on.

Having an option to use to not lose the conversation due to the speed of the chat would be nice to have. Even if it is not used often.

In real life, you would be able to adjust your volume to be able to hear your friends around you and you wouldn’t have a hard time following the conversation.

Leo G.4501

Emote spam in DR has made me to block way too many people too and I really wouldn’t want to do that, but it is kinda only option since I am not going to turn emotes completely off.

I feel people are using the block feature incorrectly. Block is meant for people who are offensive or participating in actions detrimental to the game in some manner. Blocking people advertising gold sellers? Yes. Blocking people shouting and arguing and flaming? Sure. Blocking people that manipulate the system like kicking party members or cheating encounters? Of course. Blocking people using /say and /em not aimed at you? Why?

It’s like people now a days simply wish to ostracize people for the most simplest of social interactions they don’t agree with. Or perhaps people are blinded by the fact that the world doesn’t revolve around their personal perspective but in fact is inhabited by many people with varying tastes and perspectives? Not saying everyone should just suffer with chat bloat but if it’s something you don’t want to hear, there are tools and options other than blocking individual people for offensives that shouldn’t be blocked for. That’s not what the tool is for.

…but that’s just my opinion. Tools can be used however you want up until it’s breaking the rules.

Seera.5916

I’m not blocking them because they are roleplayers but because they are filling my screen with stuff that is not in any way related to me and none of my business and making it difficult to see things that are actually for me. I have nothing against roleplayers or roleplaying, but I am not going to start modifying my otherwise very well working chat stuff just because of that.

So you expect the developers to spend their working time and effort to accommodate someone who is too lazy to accommodate for themselves? Players like you don’t deserve more attention, to be frank.

Please tell me how the following person would remove RP only from their chats:

1. They enjoy chatting with people on the map and will use both say or map depending on where the conversation is located.
2. Is in a guild and is actively socially with them.
3. Uses emotes as a way to greet people and his friends are the same way.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m seeing various suggestions on how /RP would be implemented. Here is how I think it would do the most good:

Leave /em as is. There’s no reason to take away custom commentary from non-RPers.
Add /rp as a channel. This will act like /em in that it will start with the character name, but like /say in range. It will have a more readable color than the dull grey of /em.

Players can select these channels just like any other chat channel. The text will always be there, just as with any other channel, so one can toggle it on and off at will without missing comments for later reading if desired.

Now RP will have its own open-world channel so as not to “spam” people at crafting stations that aren’t interested, everyone can still do general silly custom emote stuff, and everyone can opt in or out of the two distinct uses of /em that currently exist without having to blanket cut off everything.

Miku.6297

I’m seeing various suggestions on how /RP would be implemented. Here is how I think it would do the most good:

Hmm I was thinking about it, what about… Forget the whole new channel/command idea, and simply make /me separate from standard emotes such as /wave? That way people who want to have /wave, /dance, kneel (standard emotes) on, but not have the /me RP emotes visible would be able to do that.

Leo G.4501

But in the case of MMO chats, the other channels can easily overtake the speed at which RP is done. RP usually doesn’t move really fast. But get a busy time in DR, and map chat and say chat may end up moving faster than the RP and make it harder for the RP to happen. Especially if there are multiple RP threads going on.

Having an option to use to not lose the conversation due to the speed of the chat would be nice to have. Even if it is not used often.

In real life, you would be able to adjust your volume to be able to hear your friends around you and you wouldn’t have a hard time following the conversation.

So how does /rp regulate the speed of chat if multiple RP threads are going on in the same area through the same chat feature? From how it is suggested, it would be the exact same except now people have /rp to enable/disable.

As for the other point, RPers likely disable all other chat except /say and /em in a tab so /shout and /map doesn’t interfere. Being able to scroll through chat means you can read relevant chat to your scenario AND go back and read the chatter of those other RPers if you’re curious.

Unless you’re suggesting some whole new system of chat and not just an alternate /say channel, this really doesn’t accomplish much of anything.

Miku.6297

I feel people are using the block feature incorrectly. Block is meant for people who are offensive or participating in actions detrimental to the game in some manner. Blocking people advertising gold sellers? Yes. Blocking people shouting and arguing and flaming? Sure. Blocking people that manipulate the system like kicking party members or cheating encounters? Of course. Blocking people using /say and /em not aimed at you? Why?

It’s like people now a days simply wish to ostracize people for the most simplest of social interactions they don’t agree with. Or perhaps people are blinded by the fact that the world doesn’t revolve around their personal perspective but in fact is inhabited by many people with varying tastes and perspectives? Not saying everyone should just suffer with chat bloat but if it’s something you don’t want to hear, there are tools and options other than blocking individual people for offensives that shouldn’t be blocked for. That’s not what the tool is for.

…but that’s just my opinion. Tools can be used however you want up until it’s breaking the rules.

Blocking people using say /em not aimed at you because they are using it ALOT and as you said it’s not aimed at the player, but that doesn’t mean it’s not seen or has no effect on the players chat bar.

Blocking someone that is sending so many /me messages that it is flooding your chat away isn’t the ideal option, but if you want to keep emotes ON it’s the ONLY option available at the moment. Most people blocking for this aren’t trying to ostracize anyone, they simply don’t want to see the chat, and want to keep emotes on. It’s nothing personal against the player doing it.

Blocking people is the current system used to avoid seeing a certain players chat. It’s not just for people breaking rules etc.

Leo G.4501

If the RP he saw was truly inappropriate and against the TOS of the game, it’s really not unreasonable to ask for ways to avoid seeing it. Since it’s done on emote and you can’t report on emote names and the range of the emotes are so large that it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to find the player who is actually breaking the rules to report them.

The point being, if someone truly wants to avoid it, there are other options. If it’s irritating enough, other places with crafting ant TP facilities exist. If it’s truly inappropriate, report it. If he’s still in DR for crafting and TP then obviously the issue isn’t that bad, i.e. tolerable. And what do you do in your life but tolerate the existence of others around you? If you haven’t learned how to do that, you haven’t become an adult yet.

Leo G.4501

Please tell me how the following person would remove RP only from their chats:

1. They enjoy chatting with people on the map and will use both say or map depending on where the conversation is located.
2. Is in a guild and is actively socially with them.
3. Uses emotes as a way to greet people and his friends are the same way.

1. Continue using /say or /map. If chat scrolled by too quickly, use the scroll feature and/or create a tab separate for /map and /say. If there is too much chatter, move to a new location.

2. Use guild chat.

3. Depending on who they are and the frequency of local /em, consider /whisper, /party, /guild or any other relevant channel to “directly” /em to them. Example:

Mr. NotRP- /guild Hola, everyone.
Me- /guild /wave Mr. NotRP.

Leo G.4501

By this defenition, its the job of the non-roleplayers to change their channals to avoid the Role Play. Me and my guildies occasionaly use an emote, so we should turn off all emotes to give RP’ers their safe space?

Yes, generally it is up to the human to wipe their own bums after a certain age unless they are incapable of doing so.

If you are not comfortable with the content or frequency, you can at least do your part to maintain your personal comfort zone. Safe spaces are something that should not exist.

And you don’t even have to turn emotes off, you just put it in a specific tab and when the frequency is too much for you, switch to another tab for the time being.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I’m not blocking them because they are roleplayers but because they are filling my screen with stuff that is not in any way related to me and none of my business and making it difficult to see things that are actually for me. I have nothing against roleplayers or roleplaying, but I am not going to start modifying my otherwise very well working chat stuff just because of that.

So you expect the developers to spend their working time and effort to accommodate someone who is too lazy to accommodate for themselves? Players like you don’t deserve more attention, to be frank.

Oh, no I am not expecting anything from anyone and you are right, I do not deserve any kind of attention at all from anyone, that is why I am not trying to get it. The tools we have now do work for solving the problem too since the blocklist does not seem to have a cap. It might not be the ideal solution, but it is a solution anyway.

Seera.5916

If the RP he saw was truly inappropriate and against the TOS of the game, it’s really not unreasonable to ask for ways to avoid seeing it. Since it’s done on emote and you can’t report on emote names and the range of the emotes are so large that it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to find the player who is actually breaking the rules to report them.

The point being, if someone truly wants to avoid it, there are other options. If it’s irritating enough, other places with crafting ant TP facilities exist. If it’s truly inappropriate, report it. If he’s still in DR for crafting and TP then obviously the issue isn’t that bad, i.e. tolerable. And what do you do in your life but tolerate the existence of others around you? If you haven’t learned how to do that, you haven’t become an adult yet.

So players shouldn’t ask for ways to make things better just because the current system doesn’t prohibit what they want?

That’s like saying nothing should be improved upon because it currently works. And nothing new should be invented except drugs for things that have no cure and are fatal because we can clearly survive with what’s invented now.

RP’ers and non-RP’ers are just asking for a better system. And that’s not wrong to ask for.

Leo G.4501

So players shouldn’t ask for ways to make things better just because the current system doesn’t prohibit what they want?

That’s like saying nothing should be improved upon because it currently works. And nothing new should be invented except drugs for things that have no cure and are fatal because we can clearly survive with what’s invented now.

RP’ers and non-RP’ers are just asking for a better system. And that’s not wrong to ask for.

The difference is, RPers are not a disease or ailment to be cured. Social interaction is an invented feature included specifically for this game type. And what you’re suggesting isn’t anything new.

Now if we’re here to suggest something new to the game to facilitate RPers, having a toggleable chat window that grants you quick access to various commands, idle stances, character movements as well as a space to enter text with features such as temp-channels that can also be toggled as private and local and further toggle viewable temp-channels so you can ignore/read them at your leasure…

Miku.6297

The difference is, RPers are not a disease or ailment to be cured. Social interaction is an invented feature included specifically for this game type. And what you’re suggesting isn’t anything new.

I’m 90% sure the the reference to medical advancement was figurative, just as an example of improving the current status quo. It wasn’t intended to say RP was a disease or ailment to be cured.

Currently there is no way to have 1 chat tab that has emotes on and /me off. If there was, that would be an improvement and something new. (not new as in never befor seen, but new as in it’s new to this game)

Leo G.4501

I’m 90% sure the the reference to medical advancement was figurative, just as an example of improving the current status quo. It wasn’t intended to say RP was a disease or ailment to be cured.

Currently there is no way to have 1 chat tab that has emotes on and /me off. If there was, that would be an improvement and something new. (not new as in never befor seen, but new as in it’s new to this game)

Just saying, it’s not a proper analogy. And my statement wasn’t accusing the poster of calling RPers a disease, but more calling RPers a “problem to be solved”. Part of the whole social interaction equation is dealing/tolerating people you might not want to interact with. And we have tools to curb much of the annoyance and while I can agree, it could be improved upon, the solutions (outside of shrinking /em range) only shifts the problem.

Miku.6297

The analogy is about improving current methods or technology, which makes it proper. Any way….

As I asked what about simply changing /me or /em to be something that can be switched on and off without effecting other emotes?

Seera.5916

Just saying, it’s not a proper analogy. And my statement wasn’t accusing the poster of calling RPers a disease, but more calling RPers a “problem to be solved”. Part of the whole social interaction equation is dealing/tolerating people you might not want to interact with. And we have tools to curb much of the annoyance and while I can agree, it could be improved upon, the solutions (outside of shrinking /em range) only shifts the problem.

My analogy was that nothing ELSE should be invented (no new cars, no new computer technology, etc) except for cures to fatal diseases because we apparently can exist with what’s currently here. Even though those inventions might make our lives easier or more enjoyable.

Because that’s what you’re asking for here. You’re saying that ANet should not consider adding in ways to make RP’ing better because the current system works.

Leo G.4501

My analogy was that nothing ELSE should be invented (no new cars, no new computer technology, etc) except for cures to fatal diseases because we apparently can exist with what’s currently here. Even though those inventions might make our lives easier or more enjoyable.

Because that’s what you’re asking for here. You’re saying that ANet should not consider adding in ways to make RP’ing better because the current system works.

My point that nothing suggested here is new still stands.

But to counter your argument, creating technology to make life easier or more convenient can be a good thing but is a double-edged sword. Convenience itself is good only up until a point. Social Media, a more relevant invention to the topic, is a prime example. Sure, you have the convenience to chat with like-minded people anywhere but then you get the bigoted idiots creating idiot echochambers who think their views are actually beneficial. Bring enough idiots together and they go riot and spread their idiocy across the internet. Lots of people don’t know how to regulate their behavior socially anymore to the point they’ll get triggered by the most pointless, avoidable and ignorable things you can think of. And they think their triggered-ness actually means something to the big picture except other easily triggered individuals who also struggle with simple social matters.

But to conclude my point:
1. Decreased /em range? Sure.
2. Separating standard emotes from /me with separate toggle-show options? Sure.
3. /rp? Why?
4. RP chat channel in general? No, unnecessary.
5. More RP related improvements to the game? Yes!
6. People need to get some thicker skin and learn how to handle social issues on an individual level? Of course!

Miku.6297

6. People need to get some thicker skin and learn how to handle social issues on an individual level? Of course!

Isn’t that what we are doing? Trying to figure out a better method of handling these social issues? That doesn’t involve turning off all emotes. The complaint about having no other options isn’t about getting thicker skin, it’s just wishing we had better tools to handle situations. Asking for that sort of thing is one of the uses of forums.

Leo G.4501

Isn’t that what we are doing? Trying to figure out a better method of handling these social issues? That doesn’t involve turning off all emotes. The complaint about having no other options isn’t about getting thicker skin, it’s just wishing we had better tools to handle situations. Asking for that sort of thing is one of the uses of forums.

You’re going outside of your individual level by making a thread asking to regulate something unrelated to you (an RP channel). And you still don’t seem to understand, there is a difference between “turning off all emotes” and “putting emotes in a different tab”. If you remove emotes from a tab, they are no longer viewable. If someone emoted, you can’t go back to see it. If you emotes in another tab, you can ignore emotes until you want to read them and scroll back to look through past emotes.

So you’re asking for something that technically exists but you’re presenting your situation in a disingenuous fashion to appeal to our sense of freedom within the game.

And I say thicker skin because if I were to call someone a liar for wishing to keep their emotes “on” on the off chance they get a /wave from a friend, they’d get triggered. You know, and I know, that if a friend wants to get your attention, they don’t simply /wave. Even if they are just passing by. Even if you’re afk and would likely miss the /wave amongst /map. Even if that friend just lacks that much common sense so would just /wave and run off, that isn’t the primary reason this thread exists.

Seera.5916

And I say thicker skin because if I were to call someone a liar for wishing to keep their emotes “on” on the off chance they get a /wave from a friend, they’d get triggered. You know, and I know, that if a friend wants to get your attention, they don’t simply /wave. Even if they are just passing by. Even if you’re afk and would likely miss the /wave amongst /map. Even if that friend just lacks that much common sense so would just /wave and run off, that isn’t the primary reason this thread exists.

And you have no idea if they are lying or not about that as you are not a mind reader. So they would have every right to be “triggered” by you calling them a liar. Because they may not be lying about it.

Miku.6297

You’re going outside of your individual level by making a thread asking to regulate something unrelated to you (an RP channel). And you still don’t seem to understand, there is a difference between “turning off all emotes” and “putting emotes in a different tab”. If you remove emotes from a tab, they are no longer viewable. If someone emoted, you can’t go back to see it. If you emotes in another tab, you can ignore emotes until you want to read them and scroll back to look through past emotes.

So you’re asking for something that technically exists but you’re presenting your situation in a disingenuous fashion to appeal to our sense of freedom within the game.

Asking to regulate something beyond me? How is it any different then asking for different channels for different aspects of play. I would much rather be able to simply turn the /me emotes off (or move them to a new tab) without having to turn off (or move to a new tab) ALL emotes. This would also be much more ideal then blocking players.

While it is true, that chatter like this may not involve the player wishing to avoid it, that doesn’t mean it has no effect on their enjoyment of the game. Asking for a way to minimize negative impact, that has practically no negative impact on the game play style that is being discussed does not but improves the situation.

Sorry I just generalized you would be able to understand that when I said “turning off emotes” I meant turning them off from the normal tab I play on. I do understand quite clearly that when you turn them off on one tab you can have them on on a different tab; they are still off on your main tab though. I was just speaking under the assumption that everyone understood what the main points were.

Actually sometimes when I see my friends I just wave, that’s it nothing more. I’m unsure what calling people liars for having their own reasons for wanting to keep emotes on (the main chat tab) would accomplish. Most people do not like being called liars, it’s not suprising it would offend people.

Leo G.4501

And you have no idea if they are lying or not about that as you are not a mind reader. So they would have every right to be “triggered” by you calling them a liar. Because they may not be lying about it.

And that’s what trigger-able people do: they make up a scenario you can’t reasonably prove if they are genuinely offended, disparaged or distressed and wait for people to call them on it so they can label themselves a victim.

But the point is, who cares if you miss out on your friend /waving at you? It’s such a minuscule, pointless issue, you (not YOU you) should be embarrassed to hinge a complaint on it. So many other situations could occur to bring about such a scenario and so many possible ways to prevent it.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

As an RPer, here are my suggestions:

Sharply downgrade the range of /em, and have the player name clickable like it is in most other channels. Make it /say range, or maybe even a little shorter.

Seperate out command emotes such as /sit into a “Command” channel. Match the range to the new /em range, and have the names clickable there, too.

Finally, talk to the RPers in the community and see if some minor changes can be done to improve some places for RP. DR could use a few, but other areas in the game might be more appealing for RP if a few small adjustments were made. When everyone clusters around just a couple of spots, it gets so bad even some RPers have to give up. Let’s scatter it out some, using a carrot and not a stick.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Seera.5916

And that’s what trigger-able people do: they make up a scenario you can’t reasonably prove if they are genuinely offended, disparaged or distressed and wait for people to call them on it so they can label themselves a victim.

But the point is, who cares if you miss out on your friend /waving at you? It’s such a minuscule, pointless issue, you (not YOU you) should be embarrassed to hinge a complaint on it. So many other situations could occur to bring about such a scenario and so many possible ways to prevent it.

And no where did the person said it would be the end of the world if that happened. Just they do not WANT to have to turn all emotes off because the majority they see are RP related and they don’t want to see RP emotes.

It’s not unreasonable to ask that a solution to a problem not create a problem for someone else. Whether or not the problem that comes up is enough of a reason to make that solution not the best solution is unknown without more input from more people . It would be nice if a solution could be found that would be great for everyone and not cause new problems for people. Why is that so hard for you deal with? Why is finding the best solution to the problem a problem for you?

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

jeez … to all the RP folks… Make a SQUAD! Do your RP in the Squad.. you can have up to 50 people in it… if you are the one that made the squad then you can drop squad and rejoin to remove the tag. It’s not that hard… it’s respectful of the others that really don’t want to see all the RP stuff. RP is fine… but really is it that difficult to do it in your OWN space?

You don’t even have to use emotes when you’re in squad…

Just enter something like: -xyz hugs xxx-

easy stuff…

… just call me … Tim :)

Seera.5916

jeez … to all the RP folks… Make a SQUAD! Do your RP in the Squad.. you can have up to 50 people in it… if you are the one that made the squad then you can drop squad and rejoin to remove the tag. It’s not that hard… it’s respectful of the others that really don’t want to see all the RP stuff. RP is fine… but really is it that difficult to do it in your OWN space?

You don’t even have to use emotes when you’re in squad…

Just enter something like: -xyz hugs xxx-

easy stuff…

That’s the thing. You don’t know who you’re going to be RP’ing with before hand so you can’t make a squad.

And other RP’ers can’t just spontaneously join in when the other RP’ers are in a squad.

How do you expect the RP community to grow if no one can access their chat unless they know an RP’er? And how do you expect people to know an RP’er unless they’ve seen them chat in character? Please explain that.

Balthazzarr.1349

pop a little post into the regular chat now and then inviting new possible rp’ers to join the squad. Squads can be made open for anyone to join so that’s not an issue.

Balthazzarr.1349

Many people don’t know this but there is an instance called Rugnar’s Steading in Wayfarer’s Foothills just a few steps north of Dolyak’s Pass Waypoint. Everyone you want can go in there.. it’s not exclusive to a single person… a ton of people can go in and be completely apart from the rest of the GW2 community. You can RP to your hearts content with NOBODY hearing or caring.

To answer your next question of how to let people know.. Simply let the people that you know where it is… they can tell their friends and so on. It’s a real easy solution if people are willing to just give it a try.

Make that the RP zone.. nobody else uses it for anything.

The only objection I can see to this suggestion would be that people actually ‘want’ other people to see their rp instead of having it just between the rp’ers.

Seera.5916

Many people don’t know this but there is an instance called Rugnar’s Steading in Wayfarer’s Foothills just a few steps north of Dolyak’s Pass Waypoint. Everyone you want can go in there.. it’s not exclusive to a single person… a ton of people can go in and be completely apart from the rest of the GW2 community. You can RP to your hearts content with NOBODY hearing or caring.

To answer your next question of how to let people know.. Simply let the people that you know where it is… they can tell their friends and so on. It’s a real easy solution if people are willing to just give it a try.

The only objection I can see to this suggestion would be that people actually ‘want’ other people to see their rp instead of having it just between the rp’ers.

RP’ers shouldn’t be forced to have to advertise in the middle of their RP that they’re RP’ing because that’s the only way that would work. When you’re RP’ing in a city, you should be giving your RP partner(s) your full attention. Not having to be mindful of people messaging you to get an invite to the squad.

Nor would be spontaneous.

The player asking to join in may not be the right fit for that RP and while that player is in the squad, that means one person who is right may not be able to join in. Plus, there may be instances where there are too many RP’ers for a squad depending on what they are RP’ing.

Squading up is the right solution for groups of 6-10 who do not wish to be interrupted while RP’ing. However, it’s not the best solution for group of more than 10 or for those who want players to just randomly join into their RP.

Seera.5916

Fixing the forum bug.

Leo G.4501

It’s not unreasonable to ask that a solution to a problem not create a problem for someone else. Whether or not the problem that comes up is enough of a reason to make that solution not the best solution is unknown without more input from more people . It would be nice if a solution could be found that would be great for everyone and not cause new problems for people. Why is that so hard for you deal with? Why is finding the best solution to the problem a problem for you?

It’s not hard to deal with. In fact, it’s extremely easy. I just find fault that, for the most part, it has always been the part of the RPers to accommodate those that don’t wish to partake in the act i.e. they typically choose opportune times and places to RP, most don’t pressure others to participate and don’t let their presence affect those that do not, many have guilds to facilitate group meetings and while there are those rude overzealous types that will break character to chastise others for interfering, most will use the same available tools you have to separate themselves from those that disturb their type of activity.

Turn the tables and you’d think non-RPers feel they have some kind of monopoly on how /say and /em should be used and refuse to use the tools to separate themselves from others who disturb you. So why do you feel it is so unquestionably counter intuitive to just ignore /em? It just makes no sense to me, and I don’t RP. No, it’s not unreasonable to suggest improvements to the game but it’s also not unreasonable for you to silence or ignore /em or just avoid areas with heavy RP traffic. None have admitted this and I feel THAT is what’s hard to deal with. I don’t deal with unreasonable people, I expose them.

But back to the point of suggesting alternatives:

-Got an Airship pass? That’s the best place to craft and TP, IMO.
-Rata Sum is my default city area to do stuff like that primarily because there isn’t as much chat traffic. I barely even know the layout of DR, quite frankly. But other areas exist.
-I don’t condone /block for people just communicating in /say and /me but it is a tool to stop these messages that occur with high frequency.
-If there is such a possibility, better /block and /ignore UI that lets you silence people much more quickly (possibly with a right click option for /me) and maybe a distinction between /block and /ignore (make /block a perma block and /ignore a temp block that is removed upon log-out; coupled with easier block/ignore UI, this might be a quick solution usable in multiple situations besides just vs RPers).
-Tab customization. This is a huge one. Never do I have a chat channel that has /say, /shout, /map, /guild/party/alliance/etc, /me, /whisper on the same tab. They are all separated in some fashion and I can quickly change each tab given a situation. If you’re not willing to help yourself, do you deserve help from the devs?
-I would adore more additions to facilitate RP in an open environment. Even though I don’t participate actively (I find it difficult and jarring to actively RP and prefer offline collaborative story telling) I would love to see more idle animations, more emotes, more chat features to aid in organizing that open RP environment, more UI additions to make this transition easier and improve upon the use of emotes within it, etc. Like I said, I’m not against more ideas but I’d like to hear from the RPers who would like to see actual improvements vs the players that want to simply silence them. Such players could easily add their input on such suggestions but the most you’d likely hear is players don’t want dev resources put into social interactive additions or some such.

Leo G.4501

Are you sure there aren’t people RPing there already? Basically, your advice may likely be falling on deaf ears as RPers likely already frequent the area every now and then.

DR is often used likely because it is the human home town and there are more human RPers than other races.

Lastly, RPing is spontaneous and isn’t always isolated to a single area. Things may move from place to place. A better question is, why is it so offensive that other people are using /say and /me (programmed to be local means of communication) to communicate with players locally in-character?

Seera.5916

It’s not hard to deal with. In fact, it’s extremely easy. I just find fault that, for the most part, it has always been the part of the RPers to accommodate those that don’t wish to partake in the act i.e. they typically choose opportune times and places to RP, most don’t pressure others to participate and don’t let their presence affect those that do not, many have guilds to facilitate group meetings and while there are those rude overzealous types that will break character to chastise others for interfering, most will use the same available tools you have to separate themselves from those that disturb their type of activity.

Turn the tables and you’d think non-RPers feel they have some kind of monopoly on how /say and /em should be used and refuse to use the tools to separate themselves from others who disturb you. So why do you feel it is so unquestionably counter intuitive to just ignore /em? It just makes no sense to me, and I don’t RP. No, it’s not unreasonable to suggest improvements to the game but it’s also not unreasonable for you to silence or ignore /em or just avoid areas with heavy RP traffic. None have admitted this and I feel THAT is what’s hard to deal with. I don’t deal with unreasonable people, I expose them.

But back to the point of suggesting alternatives:

-Got an Airship pass? That’s the best place to craft and TP, IMO.
-Rata Sum is my default city area to do stuff like that primarily because there isn’t as much chat traffic. I barely even know the layout of DR, quite frankly. But other areas exist.
-I don’t condone /block for people just communicating in /say and /me but it is a tool to stop these messages that occur with high frequency.
-If there is such a possibility, better /block and /ignore UI that lets you silence people much more quickly (possibly with a right click option for /me) and maybe a distinction between /block and /ignore (make /block a perma block and /ignore a temp block that is removed upon log-out; coupled with easier block/ignore UI, this might be a quick solution usable in multiple situations besides just vs RPers).
-Tab customization. This is a huge one. Never do I have a chat channel that has /say, /shout, /map, /guild/party/alliance/etc, /me, /whisper on the same tab. They are all separated in some fashion and I can quickly change each tab given a situation. If you’re not willing to help yourself, do you deserve help from the devs?
-I would adore more additions to facilitate RP in an open environment. Even though I don’t participate actively (I find it difficult and jarring to actively RP and prefer offline collaborative story telling) I would love to see more idle animations, more emotes, more chat features to aid in organizing that open RP environment, more UI additions to make this transition easier and improve upon the use of emotes within it, etc. Like I said, I’m not against more ideas but I’d like to hear from the RPers who would like to see actual improvements vs the players that want to simply silence them. Such players could easily add their input on such suggestions but the most you’d likely hear is players don’t want dev resources put into social interactive additions or some such.

I don’t want to silence RP’ers at all. Giving them their own channel would help as would splitting the filter for custom vs predefined emotes.

No solution will remove all of the problems, but the best solution is one that removes the most problems and generates the fewest new problems.

I also like your suggestion of /ignore as a temp block. Would help for non-RP instances as well.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

A separate channel to me is an unnecessarily complicated, roundabout, and overly specific solution.

It makes no sense to me to create things like that just because some people might be offended. And while some RP’ers may approve it too, this thread isn’t indicative of any given majority, so I would suggest caution to giving too much sway to just this thread. And to me, OP’s and other non-rpers suggestion sounds too much like deciding what’s good for everyone, and as someone that doesn’t exactly fall into either camp, it would just leave me out.

I mean, what if I want to see people roleplay, but I don’t want to be bothered to enter channels? In my experience the only people that do graphic or inapproriate roleplays are actually griefing actually RP’ers, or at least by a margin of 10:1

What is the problem here? Abusive speech is already against the rules. There’s no need to make any more rules pertaining to the issue. The problem is an exploit. People are abusing the emote system to evade means of stopping abusive speech. It’s an exploit because it’s easy to report someone when they use /map or /say chat but we can’t do it for emote chats.

So the most direct response is to make it easier to hold people responsible for their emotes and that is the ability to click a user’s name from their emotes to block or report them. This also addresses other forms of emote trolling not related to RP.

Doesn’t that make a lot more sense than this tunnel-visioned nonsense littered with generalizations and slander?

Drop the emotional baggage and actually attack the problem at hand by standardizing communication so that it is consistent through the block/report system we already have. Direct the solution at the people responsible for creating it in the first place rather than fire blindly at huge swaths of people.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

It would be WONDERFUL if people wanting to RP something that should be private would take it to a private channel. But at least some of them don’t.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Balthazzarr.1349

Are you sure there aren’t people RPing there already? Basically, your advice may likely be falling on deaf ears as RPers likely already frequent the area every now and then.

DR is often used likely because it is the human home town and there are more human RPers than other races.

Lastly, RPing is spontaneous and isn’t always isolated to a single area. Things may move from place to place. A better question is, why is it so offensive that other people are using /say and /me (programmed to be local means of communication) to communicate with players locally in-character?

Of course it will fall on deaf ears. I actually didn’t expect much more than that. People of one mind are like that. Does anybody that RP’s in DR actually understand that this is Guild Wars 2 and not the “Meet and Greet” game? There are actually games all over the place designed just for this purpose. They can, and will, stay in DR because they WANT people to see what they are doing. That much is clear…. they scream that we are intolerant but the fact is there is zero consideration for the thoughts and feelings of others who have to continue to read this drivel. This is one of the main reasons I bought a pass for a different spot.

Heck, Lion’s Arch takes too long to load to be a home base and DR was a great place to go to for the quick loading. But I’ve moved elsewhere now (for another 1000 gems) but definitely worth it. :P

Leo G.4501

Of course it will fall on deaf ears. I actually didn’t expect much more than that. People of one mind are like that. Does anybody that RP’s in DR actually understand that this is Guild Wars 2 and not the “Meet and Greet” game? There are actually games all over the place designed just for this purpose. They can, and will, stay in DR because they WANT people to see what they are doing. That much is clear…. they scream that we are intolerant but the fact is there is zero consideration for the thoughts and feelings of others who have to continue to read this drivel. This is one of the main reasons I bought a pass for a different spot.

Heck, Lion’s Arch takes too long to load to be a home base and DR was a great place to go to for the quick loading. But I’ve moved elsewhere now (for another 1000 gems) but definitely worth it. :P

I would still appreciate a response to my question: why is it so offensive that other people are using /say and /me (programmed to be local means of communication) to communicate with players locally in-character?

Posted by: Luna.1839

Luna.1839

Just coming here to leave my support for a separate RP chat channel, making the /me range smaller or adding the ability to directly block people using emotes. Another option could be changing /me so only people on your friendslist can see it, thereby ensuring that it doesn’t bother half the map.
Roleplayers are a minority in this game. That doesn’t mean that they do not have the right to do what they enjoy doing, but at least make it possible for the rest of us to enjoy our game without being bothered by these few people.
I’m sure most RPers don’t mean anyone any harm and a fair few will be aware that the rest of the community do not want to partake in their way of gameplay, therefore moving away from highly populated areas. But my gosh, some of the people who simply don’t care and stand around spamming chat in DR or Rata Sum… It inspires a certain kind of slow burning rage, that eventually spills over as toxicity towards the entire RP community. I do not enjoy your random, useless (to me) spam.
Saying I can change my chat setup does not seem at all adequate in dealing with this problem. It will cut me off from messages I do wish to see, by people I know. If I have any part of the UI open or if I’m tabbed out, I can’t see it when someone waves at me unless I read it in the chatlog. Why should I have to remove this from my chat?
On a sidenote, I bought a Captain’s Airship Pass in the last sale, which means I don’t have to deal with rp spam anymore. What a relief. \o/

~Leader of Kingdom of Northern Dragons [Rawr]~
PvX | ~160 Members | Gilded Hollow | Level 69 | 18+
TS3: Rawr-Dragons.com (no pw) | Currently Recruiting!