Something doesn't add up about...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alberel Leonhart.9640

Alberel Leonhart.9640

Martin Kerstein:

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

The part I’ve highlighted in bold there doesn’t make sense. Martin claims they will not add new tiers of gear to create a treadmill, but this is really just clever use of language.

The treadmill effect is the result of incremental increases to the highest possible stats on a regular basis, causing players to be endlessly chasing better gear to remain equal to the content. Now they might not be adding a full tier every 3 months, but by adding ‘the remaining ascended and legendary items’ over time they ARE increasing the highest possible stats every few months.

Martin has denied adding new tiers yet the gradual release of ascended gear over time functions exactly the same as new tiers would. If they added 2 new pieces of ascended gear every few months now, the majority of players will be chasing that gear endlessly. That is a treadmill.

Posted by: Helterskelter.8490

Helterskelter.8490

They’re not adding a new tier, they’re adding to one. I don’t think anyone will complain against that.

New legendaries? Sure.
New ascended? Sure, just lower the kitten prices.

Alberel Leonhart.9640

They’re not adding a new tier, they’re adding to one. I don’t think anyone will complain against that.

New legendaries? Sure.

My point was that adding to a tier over time functions exactly the same as adding several new ones over time. The stat jump isn’t as drastic but the players are still left running the treadmill for better stats.

A treadmill is a treadmill regardless of how big the number differences are…

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Full Ascended gear will be available- eventually. They are gating its release, so “everyone” has a chance to get the pieces that are available currently.

And that is fine. Im just waiting for the release of alternate methods of obtaining the gear, ie WVW and other PvE that they promised would happen eventually. I am not a big fan of random dungeons with gear snobs.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

New legendaries? Sure.

My point was that adding to a tier over time functions exactly the same as adding several new ones over time. The stat jump isn’t as drastic but the players are still left running the treadmill for better stats.

A treadmill is a treadmill regardless of how big the number differences are…

Let them run their treadmill. Hamsters need games too….

But at least give them their own chat channel, so people looking to run the other dungeons can get a group.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Meh edited, too tired, replied badly.

What the statement said was they won’t be adding a new tier every 3 months(could be once a year for all we know since they didn’t completely shut down that idea), they will probably add the additional pieces every 3 months until the ascended set is complete. After that who knows, I think they want us to believe nothing will change after that, but have left the door open to do so.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

This is all a smokescreen anyway. They don’t need to add new gear to the game to have a grind treadmill. They just need to add more infusions, which they’ve already stated they’re going to do. The result is the same.

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Honestly, if they just fixed all the bugs, balanced all the classes, stopped doing one time events, I wouldn’t really mind a gear treadmill. It would just give me more things to do and work towards. But as it stands now, the game is just not fun to play with all these issues.

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

When the rest of Tyria is explorable and they are inhabited by rank 42,000 enemy NPCs, they might add super-great-wondrous-magnificent-exotically-legendary Underoos to protect our avatars from them and super-great-wondrous-magnificent-exotically-legendary sticks to poke them with.
/shrug. hehhehhehheh

Posted by: replicant.3620

replicant.3620

The wording isn’t even remotely vague except in the concept of more than one tier of gear progression between Ascended and Legendary. They are adding another tier of gear and revising an established tier. Ascended will be a new “bridge” between Exotic and Legendary. This bridge did not exist before and was created specifically so that they could introduce a new tier of gear.

Two new Ascended pieces were added in the patch (back piece and ring) and more will be added in the future at various dates until the full set is released along with new Legendary items as well. Legendary under it’s new property will always be equal to the top tier items available. This means you have created a full Tier of equipment for people to work on and extended a Cosmetic top tier.

The unfortunate thing is Anet hasn’t owned up to this and taken responsibility for the debacle. They have stated Ascended was created because people felt they didn’t have anything to work on and that Legendary items had been gained to quickly. If you didn’t want Legendary Items created so quickly, then you should not have made the majority of the items in it capable of being purchased with gold or traded.

Peralta | 80 Human Necromancer | Pain Train Choo [Choo] | Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Gear treadmill doesn’t have an official definition so they can say whatever they want about it.

Posted by: Leonard.2867

Leonard.2867

The wording isn’t even remotely vague except in the concept of more than one tier of gear progression between Ascended and Legendary. They are adding another tier of gear and revising an established tier. Ascended will be a new “bridge” between Exotic and Legendary. This bridge did not exist before and was created specifically so that they could introduce a new tier of gear.

Two new Ascended pieces were added in the patch (back piece and ring) and more will be added in the future at various dates until the full set is released along with new Legendary items as well. Legendary under it’s new property will always be equal to the top tier items available. This means you have created a full Tier of equipment for people to work on and extended a Cosmetic top tier.

The unfortunate thing is Anet hasn’t owned up to this and taken responsibility for the debacle. They have stated Ascended was created because people felt they didn’t have anything to work on and that Legendary items had been gained to quickly. If you didn’t want Legendary Items created so quickly, then you should not have made the majority of the items in it capable of being purchased with gold or traded.

I agree. They should have fixed the Legendary Issue instead of releasing new gear with +stats.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i willl unveil the mistery for you….i read carefully the blogs…

Probably ascended gears will be the last tier, they simply introduced a system to add new “tiers” at will in the form of infusion slots

Notice how much does cost to ctraft an infusion and that they are only blue currently….

So they will introduce, green, yellow, orange, pink….

This way they gives you 9 overcosted stats to grind for every time.
So if prepatch you grinded for aestethic without stats, in the future you will grind for stats without even aestethic….

Funny thing is that also people with legendaries will be forced to craft their infusions…

Greetings citizens of Tyria! My name is Linsey Murdock.
…………….
This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

P.S. every time i read progression in blogs it sounds like an insult to intelligence to me…..i’d really like the use of different words like " we feel we needed this"…
The concept “its not grind, its progression” makes imho people even more angry…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

They are adding a new tier to introduce the grind that wowheads were asking for. There was no gap before as exotic and legendaries had the same stats. So, to “fix” the gap that didn’t exist, they created a gap between exotics and ascended gear. Makes perfect sense in some alternate reality—not to mention it violates everything they represented GW2 to be in contradistinction to other MMO’s. GG Anet!!!

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Slow deployment suits me. It’s like deliberately taking small bites of your dessert, so it lasts longer.

Leonard.2867

This is not dessert though, its more like cabbage to a child. Your not taking small bites, your told to eat the cabbage before you can have your dessert.

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Martin Kerstein:

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

The part I’ve highlighted in bold there doesn’t make sense. Martin claims they will not add new tiers of gear to create a treadmill, but this is really just clever use of language.

The treadmill effect is the result of incremental increases to the highest possible stats on a regular basis, causing players to be endlessly chasing better gear to remain equal to the content. Now they might not be adding a full tier every 3 months, but by adding ‘the remaining ascended and legendary items’ over time they ARE increasing the highest possible stats every few months.

Martin has denied adding new tiers yet the gradual release of ascended gear over time functions exactly the same as new tiers would. If they added 2 new pieces of ascended gear every few months now, the majority of players will be chasing that gear endlessly. That is a treadmill.

sigh

They only have back items and rings and such right now. They are adding the missing items of armor. Head, shoulders, chest, etc.

It isn’t a new tier. It is giving us the missing parts. No conspiracy about it.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Leonard.2867

If its not a new tier, then why is the title pink and not orange? Then why do Legendary Weapons need the stats vamped up to match Ascended?

Why not add the gear as, ‘Ascended titled Armor’ with orange tittles?

Alberel Leonhart.9640

Martin Kerstein:

sigh

They only have back items and rings and such right now. They are adding the missing items of armor. Head, shoulders, chest, etc.

It isn’t a new tier. It is giving us the missing parts. No conspiracy about it.

Please re-read my post. I KNOW they are adding the remaining pieces, the gradual release of the remaining pieces creates the treadmill. By releasing them slowly like this it means players will always be chasing an ascended piece for each slot as it is released. We won’t have a gear plateau at all now until all the ascended gear has been released and all the infusion upgrades have been released. If we’re don’t have a plateau then we have a treadmill.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

i willl unveil the mistery for you….i read carefully the blogs…

Probably ascended gears will be the last tier, they simply introduced a system to add new “tiers” at will in the form of infusion slots

Notice how much does cost to ctraft an infusion and that they are only blue currently….

So they will introduce, green, yellow, orange, pink….

This way they gives you 9 overcosted stats to grind for every time.
So if prepatch you grinded for aestethic without stats, in the future you will grind for stats without even aestethic….

Funny thing is that also people with legendaries will be forced to craft their infusions…

This is what I’ve been saying. The ascended gear itself is nothing but a smokescreen, a stalking horse for the real treadmill, infusions. They don’t need to create more tiers of gear to have a treadmill. They just need to release steadily better infusions, which leaves players doing the same thing: eternally chasing after bigger numbers. The infusions are what are going to be the treadmill. They’ve already admitted it.