Something is seriously wrong when...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

A lv13 revenant is doing more damage to a lv11 monster than a lv54 mesmer.

What the hell is wrong???

So, I was helping this guy fight the sons of Svanir in the ice region and noticed quickly that he was causing much more damage per second than my stupid mesmer skills. He was finishing each enemy in just a few seconds, whereas for me it was considerably longer. I’m a lv54 mesmer now, and I’m really not impressed by what seems to be like a fatal flaw/imbalance in the damage system.

Maybe I’m wrong? Maybe it will improve? But this never happened in gw1.

You spend hours and hours levelling up your character and doing missions all over the map, and you can’t even kill a lv11 enemy quickly? So what’s the point?

PLEASE improve the game!

Also, they’ve ruined the mesmer class. A mesmer used to be able to do really cool tricks in gw1 and REALLY disable the enemy by doing cool things with energy and illusion magic. Now it’s just basic damage, daze, confusion and blind…. and those pesky illusions – it all looks fantastic, but damage-wise it’s mediocre.

Just sayin….

GW2 is great, but still…

Btw if anyone wants to team up – add me: Vakadia Dreeva ^^

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

Downscaling. Also, the revenant could have had gear that is closer to his lvl, such as lvl 13 with as much gear as possible. Your gear could have been outdated. At lvl 80 you can unlock chronomancer, which is really good for mesmer. It gives out a ton of quickness/alacrity which is really good for helping out teammates. But revenant does currently do more personal damage than chronomancer, while chronomancer buffs your teammates to do really high damage.

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

(edited by TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275)

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

That is a feature that I actually like in GW2, you get leveled down in lower level maps, so if you are lvl 54 in a level 10 map, you’ll hit about the same as a lvl 10 player, maybe a bit more depending on your gear.
It would be weird if the lvl 11 caused more damage than you in a lvl 50+ map

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

plus no telling if all his gear was power+preci, and u were healing+toughness etc. also he may be doing more direct dmg and u were throwing out condis

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

What gear are you wearing? He might have been wearing full beserker greens. Also if he is an alt he will have experience with game mechanics and maybe know perfect rotations already for revenant through research.

Damage also greatly depends on what weapon you are using. As far as I know, the only decent power weapon for mesmer is mainhand sword, so using anything else will give you slower kills.

Remember down scaling is always in effect when you visit a map lower than your own level, so your stats will be scaled down to a lvl 11 mesmers. They also made this harsher than in the past so even if you are lvl 80, you will still feel weak(ish) on a low level map.

Posted by: feelingood.2106

feelingood.2106

Maybe he was masteries lvl 13, not actual lvl 13

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

What gear are you wearing? He might have been wearing full beserker greens. Also if he is an alt he will have experience with game mechanics and maybe know perfect rotations already for revenant through research.

Damage also greatly depends on what weapon you are using. As far as I know, the only decent power weapon for mesmer is mainhand sword, so using anything else will give you slower kills.

Remember down scaling is always in effect when you visit a map lower than your own level, so your stats will be scaled down to a lvl 11 mesmers. They also made this harsher than in the past so even if you are lvl 80, you will still feel weak(ish) on a low level map.

Downscaling is the most stupid idea on this planet. How much more balancing does this game need?!

I should be able to kill that monster in 2 seconds.

Seriously, when I’m done with this game I’m giving it to my cousins.

Thanks for your reply.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Downscaling is the most stupid idea on this planet. How much more balancing does this game need?!

Thanks for your reply.

So, can I have your stuff?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Seriously, when I’m done with this game I’m giving it to my cousins

Downscaling was one of the major selling points for quite a few people 3 years ago. I am one of the many that likes the downscaling.

As for when you are “done with this game” ….. I have been playing since the beta / head start 3 years ago and I am not done AND they keep adding to the game (it is an MMO after all) AND they just came out with an expansion (which I have and well it is an MMO after all) so not sure when the “end” will be because I don’t want it to end as I am having way too much fun with playing.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

so your quiting cause you cant instakill low level creature because of downscaling. can i have your stuff. best part of game

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

so your quiting cause you cant instakill low level creature because of downscaling. can i have your stuff. best part of game

They never said they were quitting.

I take it you only read the first couple of sentences, then a few responses, and felt you had enough info to throw in a reply.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I take it you only read the first couple of sentences, then a few responses, and felt you had enough info to throw in a reply.

You need to read further down than the original post to where he said, Seriously, when I’m done with this game I’m giving it to my cousins.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Thanks for your reply.

can I have your stuff? That way it’ll actually be used by someone instead of on an account getting banned for account sharing

You’re also forgetting something important. Downscaling keeps older areas relevant and fun. Level 80s at teq? It’d be over in 2 minutes.

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

It is slightly amusing that you’re frustrated not being able to kill a low lvl mob in less than two seconds…just wait until you get to HoT maps where the mobs have breakbars… Vinetooth anyone? Your level of rage-quit then might get quite high.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Posted by: Thaladred.1406

Thaladred.1406

On my 80 engi I have no problems two shotting mobs in the starting zones. Never played mesmer tho. You’re also level 54 and downscaled, but without seeing your gear, what abilities you used it’s hard to tell. Revs are also pretty bursty classes. Mesmers are really sought after classes though, they bring a lot of utility, so yes I’d say it gets better later on.

But as I said earlier on without any info on your gear, the revenant’s gear, this is all conjecture

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It’s your gear. It have nothing to do with your class. Any class can kill monster in 2 seconds in the beginning area.

Let’s say you are level 54. You should wear “dps” gear near level54. And put either dps ruby/inscription in them. For sigil, it is best to use sigil of air and fire. Since if it proc, you pretty much 1 shot the mob.

laokoko.7403

Any class at any level can kill monster in the beginning zone in 2 seconds just auto attacking.

Make sure to wear gear appropriate to your level. Also wear gear with might or berserker prefix. Either put dps gem or inscription in your armor. For sigil, it is best to use fire and lightning. Since if it procs you pretty much 1 shot the monster.

Also if you are rich and leveled your crafting. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ineffable is very good for leveling up.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Thanks for your reply.

Personally Downscaling is one of the best aspects of GW2, I know myself and many others wouldn’t still be playing the game if the mechanic wasn’t in-game. The ability to play with new friends with your higher-level character and not trivialize their content/game-experience is a wonderful thing!

I really hope more MMOs will do similarly in future.

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Mesmer also depends on illusions and shattering them periodically to attain high dps.
Without them your dps is sub-par.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The only thing wrong is when players bring their preconceived notions of what they think SHOULD happen based on their experiences in other tired, non-innovative MMO’s.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Downscaling is the most stupid idea on this planet.

This sounds more like rage-based hyperbole than reason-based conclusions. A counter position might be that lack of downscaling is a bad idea, because it invalidates tons of content that players might actually enjoy.

That said, Mesmer pre-80 can be a pain to level up. Staff and scepter are condition weapons, and absent + condition damage gear, do very little damage. Mismatched weapons and gear may mean very low damage.

As far as direct damage goes, Greatsword #1 does so little damage unless you maintain range. What I usually do is start fights with #2 then #4. Once the target(s) have locked onto my illusions, I then go for #1 while staying back. Then there’s sword/pistol, sword/focus or sword/sword, all of which do decent damage. Both GS and S/? work best if you use direct damage gear. At L54, that would be gear with the prefix Strong, with Power and Precision.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Indeed, something is seriously wrong.

I’m afraid it’s user error.

A level 50’ish characater has much more tools at their disposal then a level 13. Use level appropriate gear and consumables. And check out what traits you can use, as well as the various weapons. Or you can complain about it, but that doesn’t do damage.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

guess you didnt read to the end like i did

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

A mesmer isn’t exactly good for PvE.
You need multiple skills to synergize before you can get good damage going.
There are hardly any mesmer skills that give you direct damage output, and the ones that do are underwhelming. And you don’t have proper AoE either.

Maybe Chrono is better but i don’t have HoT.
And i don’t really play PvE anymore either since with a mesmer it’s quite a chore unless you fight an elite mob where your skills start to be useful.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

Posted by: SirBread.9325

SirBread.9325

I mean without downscaling, you’d get things like widescale griefing of lower players, ESPECIALLY for dynamic events and the like.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Mesmers have always had a tougher time killing things quickly at lower levels. A poorly-played warrior, for example, can ROFL-stomp various foes in lower areas that would cost time to a mesmer, even at higher levels.

That said, what are you running that you are having trouble newbie zones with an L5x mesmer? There are all sorts of things that can be adjusted to increase damage output.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Mesmers have always had a tougher time killing things quickly at lower levels. A poorly-played warrior, for example, can ROFL-stomp various foes in lower areas that would cost time to a mesmer, even at higher levels.

That said, what are you running that you are having trouble newbie zones with an L5x mesmer? There are all sorts of things that can be adjusted to increase damage output.

It was exactly my point. Everyone is claiming that I need the right gear. What kind of perfection in build do I have to slave to create in order to be tougher than a level 13 character…lol.

Good luck.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

A level 50’ish characater has much more tools at their disposal then a level 13. Use level appropriate gear and consumables. And check out what traits you can use, as well as the various weapons. Or you can complain about it, but that doesn’t do damage.

It isn’t user error. I’m not an idiot.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

The only thing wrong is when players bring their preconceived notions of what they think SHOULD happen based on their experiences in other tired, non-innovative MMO’s.

Like your tired opinion, the only thing that bothers me and relates DIRECTLY to my post is when I am being forced, without question, to be spoon-fed by a new game build which I believe is costing the user his fun-experience.

Just because you believe one thing, doesn’t mean that others can’t have their opinions. That’s what this forum is for.

I prefer a different type of game: one that is more open-ended, and not completely scaled out for safety and across-the-board balance.

Thanks for your comment.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Like your tired opinion, the only thing that bothers me and relates DIRECTLY to my post is when I am being forced, without question, to be spoon-fed by a new game build which I believe is costing the user his fun-experience.

Just because you believe one thing, doesn’t mean that others can’t have their opinions. That’s what this forum is for.

I prefer a different type of game: one that is more open-ended, and not completely scaled out for safety and across-the-board balance.

Thanks for your comment.

See, this is where your thread fails … your knowledge of the game is lacking; if what you say is true, you would understand why, if it’s not true, it’s because you aren’t as good as you think you are, or you are exaggerating your observations. This game is very good at giving people a false sense of ‘being good’ because of how scrub-friendly the openworld content is.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

The mesmer CAN do cool things with energy and illusion magic, it’s just a non-issue against open world trash mobs. Yes, the revenant is faster at popping bubblewrap.. but your utility shines versus elites and champs – enemies that hit back hard enough to make a difference. And if you have HoT, your party will ADORE having a competent chronomancer in the mix.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

No one’s called you an idiot, but the evidence seems to point towards you not being very good at the game.

The point of downscaling is so that lower level areas still have a modicum of relevance to higher level characters. This helps the level-appropriate players because they don’t have to worry about maxed-out characters obliterating everything in the map, but it also helps higher-level characters as well by allowing them to explore previous maps without being totally bored and making it acceptable for them to be given some rewards. The alternative to downscaling is to remove any incentives to ever return to a lower-level map and that’s not good for anyone.

That said, there’s no reason you shouldn’t still have been beating up those mobs with greater speed and safety if you were playing well. Downscaling keeps things interesting, but higher level characters are still intrinsically more powerful even when their levels are reduced. Revenants probable are a bit overtuned right now, but not by so much that they can outdamage characters with 40 levels on them. As such, you need to improve some combination of your build, gear, or damage rotations. There are too many variables to easily suss out exactly what you need to improve from the information you’ve given, but I strongly suspect the major factor is your level of play.

Look, you can either blame the game or you can improve yourself. The latter option is more productive, though if you want to bail that’s fine too. It’s just a game, and it’s not gonna be for everyone.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Not sure where the implication of idiocy came from.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Downscaling exists, specifically, because the cooperative nature of GW2s event systems would collapse without it.

Getting kill credit in GW2 requires you be able to actually hit enemies. Handing people event credit for killing L12 mobs with L80 stats not only creates a massive risk/reward imbalance, but makes it stupidly easy to troll lowbies by denything them kills because GW2 has no mob tagging feature.

Downscaling exists because of the pvE paradigm that other players should be viewed as help rather than hindrance no matter where you are in GW2. if you could engage L11 mobs with L53 stats, and the game actively encouraged you through map completion systems to go to L11 zones, you would be actively ruining the game for everyone around you by one shotting everything in sight, preventing those lower level characters from gaining xp, event credit, heart credit, and loot.

If it didn’t, then it would be stupidly easy to just powerlevel everyone around you with a L80, just blowing stuff up and handing out loot to every lowbie in range without requiring them to do anything at all.

Just because you want to blow up low level camps for low level loot doesn’t mean it wouldn’t actively break the rest of GW2’s cooperative PvE game design. GW2 is not GW1. Gw2 is an actual persistant MMO, where you have an effect on the people around you whether you chose to be in their group or not. Different rules apply, and must apply, to ensure the game is fun for everyone involved.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It was exactly my point. Everyone is claiming that I need the right gear. What kind of perfection in build do I have to slave to create in order to be tougher than a level 13 character…lol.

Good luck.

Um, you misunderstood my point.

• You might need different gear.
  • You might need to be more careful about your choice of skills/traits.
  • You might need to vary your approach.

Scaled down from L5x, you are tougher than an L13 foe… but not rolf-stomping better; mesmers just aren’t setup for that kind of durability or damage. The way of the mesmer is choosing fights carefully; the way of the warrior is ignoring foes and batting most like mosquitoes; and the way of the revenant is often auto-attacking until the foes stop annoying them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Right, downscaling is actually cool for us who don’t like the idea of grey mobs. It may grow on you or it may not but later on you’ll realize that you tear through lower level mobs, downscaling or not. But it must exist because a lot of things in the game actually ask you to go back to those lower level areas. Imagine trying to do anything in the game when things can be one shot by a level 80? WoW has this problem with achievements and max levels stealing quest mobs from low levels. In GW2 this does not exist. High level will kill much faster than the low level, but not one shot, which allows others to also get a hit in and get credit.

Your current problem is that you’re playing a mesmer. Mesmers are great and you’ll be loved by everyone due to what you bring. I’m not current on other games to make a good comparison, but a mesmer buffs and enhances the party by a lot.

Downside? They aren’t that great for PvE. Not baaaad, PvE isn’t actually difficult. PvE is easy. A class not being good at PvE just means it kills more slowly.

Once you’re 80 the Chronomancer specialization will fix some of the flaws the plain mesmer has, but it still won’t make miracles. If you are playing a mesmer never expect to do more damage than other classes do.

This is all to say that the Revenant is actually a pretty strong direct damage class. Where you are setting up skills, prepping illusions, shattering, etc, the Revenant is auto attacking things to death.

Even with the level difference it is what’s happening. You’re throwing a skill, making an illusion, throwing a second skill, shattering. In the meanwhile the Revenant autoattacked three times and killed the thing.

I think you must know exactly what it means to play a support, really welcome, but lower damage class, and playing a direct damage class.

The Revenant does bring group support too, but what the mesmer can bring only a mesmer can do in the whole of GW2.

(edited by Kanto.1659)

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

I’m inclined to believe it may be partly due to equips. I’m not saying that you’re undergeared for your level, but from what I’ve read in other posts, it seems that downscaling has a greater effect the higher level you are and the better options for equipment that you have.

That is to say that (from what I understand) a Lv20 in Lv20 green equips will have more stats than a Lv50 in Lv50 green equips scaled down to Lv20. I believe this to be acceptable and perhaps even help with balance because the higher levels have access to more traits, utilities and elites that will often more than make up the difference. I -think- I read that it uses the highest rarity of armor you can use as the basis for down-scaling?

Anyway, downscaling is an incredibly useful thing in games. I wish more used it. It increases the amount of maps that you can level in and more importantly allows you to play with friends and new players without potentially ruining (imo) their experience.

laokoko.7403

I have like 25 map completion on various class.

You can use any class at any level and kill monster in 2 second just autoattacking in starting zone. Once you reach lvl50 zones, it start scaling a bit.

Wear the highest dps gear, highest dps rune and highest dps sigil.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Everyone is claiming that I need the right gear. What kind of perfection in build do I have to slave to create in order to be tougher than a level 13 character…lol.

In GW2 your choice of gear absolutely does matter. If you’re using weapons that primarily apply damaging conditions, but do not have + Condition Damage gear, your damage will stink — down-scaled or not. In like wise, if you are using +Condition Damage gear and using weapons that do all or mostly direct damage, your damage will stink – down-scaled or not.

People are making these points because their experience was/is not the same as yours. Therefore, you are doing something differently than they did. There might be some value in looking at your build. And no, it does not have to be perfect, but it’s possible that it could be better — which could provide a more enjoyable experience.

As to down-scaling, itself, I don’t always see eye to eye with the Pope, but this encyclical is spot on.

Downscaling exists, specifically, because the cooperative nature of GW2s event systems would collapse without it.

Getting kill credit in GW2 requires you be able to actually hit enemies. Handing people event credit for killing L12 mobs with L80 stats not only creates a massive risk/reward imbalance, but makes it stupidly easy to troll lowbies by denything them kills because GW2 has no mob tagging feature.

Downscaling exists because of the pvE paradigm that other players should be viewed as help rather than hindrance no matter where you are in GW2. if you could engage L11 mobs with L53 stats, and the game actively encouraged you through map completion systems to go to L11 zones, you would be actively ruining the game for everyone around you by one shotting everything in sight, preventing those lower level characters from gaining xp, event credit, heart credit, and loot.

If it didn’t, then it would be stupidly easy to just powerlevel everyone around you with a L80, just blowing stuff up and handing out loot to every lowbie in range without requiring them to do anything at all.

Just because you want to blow up low level camps for low level loot doesn’t mean it wouldn’t actively break the rest of GW2’s cooperative PvE game design. GW2 is not GW1. Gw2 is an actual persistant MMO, where you have an effect on the people around you whether you chose to be in their group or not. Different rules apply, and must apply, to ensure the game is fun for everyone involved.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

It’s GREAT, really that you support and are all for the current build of the game. OTHERS have other opnions!

Enjoy playing!

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Everyone is claiming that I need the right gear. What kind of perfection in build do I have to slave to create in order to be tougher than a level 13 character…lol.

In GW2 your choice of gear absolutely does matter. If you’re using weapons that primarily apply damaging conditions, but do not have + Condition Damage gear, your damage will stink — down-scaled or not. In like wise, if you are using +Condition Damage gear and using weapons that do all or mostly direct damage, your damage will stink – down-scaled or not.

People are making these points because their experience was/is not the same as yours. Therefore, you are doing something differently than they did. There might be some value in looking at your build. And no, it does not have to be perfect, but it’s possible that it could be better — which could provide a more enjoyable experience.

As to down-scaling, itself, I don’t always see eye to eye with the Pope, but this encyclical is spot on.

You are following the wrong religion

;)

laokoko.7403

Good luck.

At least use masterwork gear. Everytime you reach level listed below, upgrade your gear. Put the best dps gem in armor, or seals of assasin(50) medallions of the assasin(lvl65). You can try privateer rune at level60, or find cheap alternative. Use sigil of fire and sigil of lightning. You can keep using rare sigil of fire and sigil of lightning, since the superior sigil is too expensive.

Use food which boost your might/power/ferocity. Sharpening stone is useful too mainly for boosting your exp.

Also one thing you need to understand, those level13 could be using “exotic” gear. Not only that they could be using gear specific for leveling called Ineffable.

26 strong
32 strong
38 strong green
44 strong green
50 strong green
53 strong (weapon only)
56 strong green
59 strong (weapon only)
62 berserker
65 berserker green (expensive)
68 berserker green
71 berser (weapon only)
74 berser

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I like downscaling. It means that even though I now tome my characters to level 80 for the moment since otherwise, I’m wasting experience that could be put towards masteries since I can’t tome for those, that I’m not giving up the possibility of a challenge.

That I’ll still have to make sure I don’t aggro too many enemies at once. That I still have a chance of dying if I make a mistake.

There’s a difference between not wearing meta gear because you’re ignorant of game mechanics and not wearing meta gear because you don’t like the meta, but know of it and why it’s meta. And by meta I mean the meta for level 50’s in level 13 areas.

Based on your posts here, I think you fall more on the side of ignorance. And I mean the true definition of ignorance. As in you aren’t aware, not that you are stupid.

You don’t seem to realize how your gear and traits work together. I’m fairly ignorant on that regard myself, but I realize that if my gear is pointed toward conditions but my traits are pointed toward direct damage, that I’m going to find it harder than someone who has condition traits and gear or someone with direct damage traits and gear.

Then what level and rarity is your gear? Mixture of levels? At level? At the last personal story chapter level you did? What about the level 13?

Without knowing more information about at least your character, if not the level 13 character, then it’s hard to say where the blame lies. It could be with the game, but it could just as easily be with you.

And too many truly bad players claim that they are a good player for anyone to really believe a self assessment of how well you play if you claim you’re a good player, unfortunately.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

It’s GREAT, really that you support and are all for the current build of the game. OTHERS have other opnions!

Enjoy playing!

To be clear, you’re saying that the game should be designed so that a higher-level player can ruin the experience of multiple lower-level players just by playing in one of their zones?

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Enjoy playing!

To be clear, you’re saying that the game should be designed so that a higher-level player can ruin the experience of multiple lower-level players just by playing in one of their zones?

That’s how it is in every other MMO. I’m thinking that’s what he’s used to and explains his attitude here.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

He is probably running around in clerics with Scepter. Mesmer has great burst by the way. You can kill things faster than a level rev but you really have to know what you are doing. Mesmer is one of the harder professions to start out with.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Good luck.

At least use masterwork gear. Everytime you reach level listed below, upgrade your gear. Put the best dps gem in armor, or seals of assasin(50) medallions of the assasin(lvl65). You can try privateer rune at level60, or find cheap alternative. Use sigil of fire and sigil of lightning. You can keep using rare sigil of fire and sigil of lightning, since the superior sigil is too expensive.

Use food which boost your might/power/ferocity. Sharpening stone is useful too mainly for boosting your exp.

Also one thing you need to understand, those level13 could be using “exotic” gear. Not only that they could be using gear specific for leveling called Ineffable.

26 strong
32 strong
38 strong green
44 strong green
50 strong green
53 strong (weapon only)
56 strong green
59 strong (weapon only)
62 berserker
65 berserker green (expensive)
68 berserker green
71 berser (weapon only)
74 berser

I really appreciate your post. I am a new player, and I’m not ashamed of it. I won’t be levelling up my gear so often though, as I prefer to rush to level 80 then get splash out on everything.

(edited by Cedric Ambidexter.9174)

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

He is probably running around in clerics with Scepter. Mesmer has great burst by the way. You can kill things faster than a level rev but you really have to know what you are doing. Mesmer is one of the harder professions to start out with.

I was using story-mode reward armour and general spoils.

I have purchased a completely new armour set.

I know this game has a lot of depth, but I’m the type of guy who prefers to get to the top level before investing in those things.

I’m just stumped that I can’t easily kill a level 5 monster. (Quicker than a level 6 revenant)

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I like downscaling. It means that even though I now tome my characters to level 80 for the moment since otherwise, I’m wasting experience that could be put towards masteries since I can’t tome for those, that I’m not giving up the possibility of a challenge.

That I’ll still have to make sure I don’t aggro too many enemies at once. That I still have a chance of dying if I make a mistake.

There’s a difference between not wearing meta gear because you’re ignorant of game mechanics and not wearing meta gear because you don’t like the meta, but know of it and why it’s meta. And by meta I mean the meta for level 50’s in level 13 areas.

Based on your posts here, I think you fall more on the side of ignorance. And I mean the true definition of ignorance. As in you aren’t aware, not that you are stupid.

You don’t seem to realize how your gear and traits work together. I’m fairly ignorant on that regard myself, but I realize that if my gear is pointed toward conditions but my traits are pointed toward direct damage, that I’m going to find it harder than someone who has condition traits and gear or someone with direct damage traits and gear.

Then what level and rarity is your gear? Mixture of levels? At level? At the last personal story chapter level you did? What about the level 13?

Without knowing more information about at least your character, if not the level 13 character, then it’s hard to say where the blame lies. It could be with the game, but it could just as easily be with you.

And too many truly bad players claim that they are a good player for anyone to really believe a self assessment of how well you play if you claim you’re a good player, unfortunately.

So, you’re saying I need a degree in game mechanics to be able to effectively ‘kill’ a low-level monster?

Gimmeabreak

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

So, you’re saying I need a degree in game mechanics to be able to effectively ‘kill’ a low-level monster?

Gimmeabreak

Yes, you do. It’s called not being a noob and have a simple grasp at how the game and your class of choice function, so you can effectively play it. So far people in this thread have tried to be as polite and helpful to you as possible, and all you have done is mocking and insulting them.

The example you gave in your first post OP is as bad as it gets. The sons of Svanir are in lvl 40 zone, so it’s impossible for a lvl 13 character to be there. The Rev player you are talking about was surely lvl 80 with lvl 13 masteries.

You either go and try to improve yourself in this game and stop whine in the forums, or simply quit, because so far I am left with the impression this is simply no game for you. Before you jump on the bangwaggon and start calling me names, and how I am not the one to tell you what you are supposed to do…. let me say this: It’s not my intention to try and drive you off the game. The more players in this game the better… All I am saying is you might considering spending your time with something you enjoy and dont lead to frustration for you.