Something missing from the original

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Anyone feel that there is something that is missing from GW1? Not talking about the trinity either. I felt it since beta, but still can’t put my finger on it today (been almost 2 years). What is it that is missing ? (Besides the exclusion of cash shop) =)

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

Very pretty music. Besides that, I’m not sure what you mean. If its your “old school gaming moments”, most of us MMO vets have more than a few of these. We could talk MUDs, EQ, DAOC, AO for a while… even Eve, though that’s still going strong.

Its a little more sobering when you go through screenshots from some of your favorite gaming moments, only to remember those games are no longer around.

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

I. . . don’t even know what you’re asking? Are you asking what we think is missing from Guild Wars?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Well, I mean other than the fact that GW1 DOES have a cash shop…

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Good, rewading PvP?
Lack of grind?
Easily available max stat gear?
Expansions with good stories, lore and content?

Yea there s plenty missing in GW2.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

That Factions theme!!!

SOOOOO Goood!!! UNGHHHH!!!

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’ve never set foot in GW1, but going off what I’ve read in the forums, as well as having watched my wife play GW1, I get the feeling that what is missing is the “my world” feeling.

That emotional attachment that let’s you step into your character and say “this is my home. This is where I grew up, and these are the people I call friends”.

GW2 is “just a game”.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

Neural, you brought a tear to my eye.

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Also, interrupts. I don’t mean using CC to halt a skill cast, I mean honest, direct skill interrupts. Interrupts that lengthen cooldown times or have counter skills which make skills uninterruptable.

Along with everything else stated here.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I think there are things missing in GW2. But for most I understand the reasons. I’m pretty old for a gamer, but I don’t want to trap myself in getting an old sentimental fool.

GW1 had good sides and bad sides.
What I miss the most however is the community. Don’t get me wrong. GW2 has a great community. But the loss of some people and the gain of others form different games have made it different. Not always for the bad (Neural demonstrated that perfectly), but I do feel that GW2 attracks more people that are (thinking) that crying and cursing will change things. The GW2 audiance in general seems a bit more spoiled.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I think that the OP is refering to Cantha theme (Factions).
But correct me if I am wrong… Factions was not a upgrade to the original? =P . So.. this is not a thing missing from the “Original”, is a thing missing from a expansion.

(also, I’ll be starting factions in a day )

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Good, rewading PvP?
Lack of grind?

Yet people were complaining about grind a lot in GW1 too, baffles me that someone did notice this.
I can’t say anything for PvP I hated it then and I hate it now, so pretty samey for me.
No matter what others say I really don’t see ascended being a must have and exotics are really easy to get and you can do fine with those. Granted there IS a higher tier, but I bet it will be easier to get with time.
I personally think GW2 has a decent story and you know… people complained about the story in GW1 too, I heard many times that factions and nightfall had bad stories. GW2 is still young and I have not yet given up entirely on some good expansions.

To OP. It is called nostalgia and it makes you see what used to be with rosetinted glasses and gives you a fuzzy warm feeling about the past while making you feel something is missing in the present and end up in an empty feeling. It removes the ability to appreciate the new and accept change, which is essential to moving on to the future without being constantly unhappy.
A little nostalgia from time to time doesn’t hurt though.
There will always be something “missing” from the old in the new, thats what happens when you move forward.

I loved GW1 very dearly and never felt the grind some claimed was there (and they did complain about that… a lot, so that is not new), I loved the stories and the characters (even Kormir) I took it for what it was and did not go for anything that was not fun for me. GW2 is very different play wise, and the world has changed, but I love that too. As much as the world changed I still love it, I love finding remains from the past as much as I love finding things that are new. I love the story (though I would not replay it again any time soon, if ever) and I love the characters (even Trahearne). My new toons are new lives, new personalities and new stories (the ones I make myself aside from the games), and each is somewhat linked to a different GW1 toon that I also cared for.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What’s missing from GW2 I miss?

Nicholas the Traveler.

/thread

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Thighum.7295

Thighum.7295

I miss mobs in pve that actually had builds and used their skills like actual players. Also, if I remember right, they ran out of aoe. Still can’t understand why the mobs in gw2 are stupider than those in gw1.

Also I miss the assassin.

And the armor the assassin wore. Why was medium armor in gw1 so much more diverse, while in gw2 its just trench coats.

Also I miss factions and nightfall. I also miss missions and hard mode missions.

Finally, didn’t necro minions look way cooler in gw1 than in gw2.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

There’s a lot of things missing from original Guild Wars.

I just wish I knew what was happening at ArenaNet’s office, what it is that keeps them away from creating the game they wanted to.

What is it that keeps them put everything into the store, what is it that keeps them away from putting out thing they want to.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I just wish I knew what was happening at ArenaNet’s office, what it is that keeps them away from creating the game they wanted to.

Well, they have a broad diverse spectrum of tastes in the players and when one group really likes something the other 90% of the spectrum threatens to quit. So . . .

What is it that keeps them put everything into the store, what is it that keeps them away from putting out thing they want to.

People gotta eat, servers gotta stay running.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

The Traveler, creative builds, the ability to load a build, heroes, guild halls, guild capes, the list goes on and on.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Good armor design!

Posted by: Cierdwyn.4675

Cierdwyn.4675

I’ve never set foot in GW1, but going off what I’ve read in the forums, as well as having watched my wife play GW1, I get the feeling that what is missing is the “my world” feeling.

That emotional attachment that let’s you step into your character and say “this is my home. This is where I grew up, and these are the people I call friends”.

GW2 is “just a game”.

That’s IT!! You know, almost from the start of GW2 I, and nearly everyone I know from GW1, have said that something is ‘missing’ from it. Some indefinable ‘something’ that I just have never been able to put my finger on. But .. that’s IT exactly!

Somehow, I’ve just not gotten that sense of this being MY world, filled with lovely intangible threads that emotionally bonded me to the first game, my avvie, my story .. they just haven’t been in this one to bring me to that same sense of being a part of it all.

Every time I fire up GW2, I hear that grandly awesome music on the character select page, and for a few moments I feel it .. then, I enter the game and it just disappears for reasons I just don’t quite get. Thing is .. I really do enjoy the “game”, I just don’t feel emotionally connected to it in any way near what they nurtured in GW1.

I think part of it was how I was introduced to it. At the end of GW1 in Ogdens Benediction, it would be my heroes children who would continue the adventure. I had expected something much more different, than what we got, to connect us to our ‘ancestor’. I was excited with the first storyline, finding the parents and thought we might be going that way .. but, it was a total letdown.

I wanted the first part of my personal story to lead my character to the Hall of Monuments .. the one filled with her ancestors accomplishments .. to come to understand her connection to that person and their ‘heroic’ deeds and to accept her destiny as now chosen to step into those very big shoes. I wanted something like, the Order of Whispers (who’s Master had been allied to this hero) had followed the lineage from that time, prophecies foretelling of a time when a hero would have to rise again, one born of an honorable lineage. This family watched over until the time would come and the hero reborn. Maybe she had been orphaned, or just troublesome, needing guidance and mentoring .. grooming to understand her importance and struggling with that, until she came of time when she was ready to find out who she truly was and finally led to the HoM.

OR something .. anything .. other than .. arrive ingame .. here’s your token .. go get your goodies. :\

I feel like a HUGE chance to really pull in, emotionally, a lot of the GW1 players was missed at the start by doing this. There is an amazing emotional investment by a lot of the players for GW1, which could have been used to weave the story of the second together, and continue it onward.

Also, I miss my alliance of wonderful friends that I played with for 7 years. We all started on the same server, but eventually most of the guilds drifted away. We were a wonderful group of guilds, some total PvP’ers, others total PvE’ers, and everything inbetween, generally helpful and friendly and fun, and we’d do things together like take a full Paragon team into FoW … just to see how fast we could complete it. lol I love them dearly and greatly miss my connection to them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Good, rewading PvP?
Lack of grind?

Yes there was no grind in Guild Wars 1….oh wait.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Similar theme to Shing Jea Monastery.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

GW2 is “just a game”.

Yeah you pretty much nailed it.
But I don’t think GW2 can achieve that. Part of the reason GW1 managed that is because everything was instanced and in a lot of ways it played out like a single player game – so it literally was your story.

GW2 loses a lot of that feeling by opening up. Of course GW2 has its advantages and I think it’s a great game. But I do really love GW1 and it’s always going to hold a special place in my heart.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

What’s missing from the original?
Everything.

That special feel to the game, the emphasis on team work, competition, drama, game modes that make fun, a sense of belonging, guild halls, observer mode, variety, skills that do something, clear animations, no ugly redunant character races, beautiful character designs, armor/weapons that look great and got style, a pvp and pve that are/were worth while, a concept of pvp so kitten good yet so elusive that it apparently will never be captured again, the simplicity of it all and the depth hidden within, the epic music and pve story …

But ok, fine, the original doesn’t have dodging and stealthing… instead, it has body blocking, protection monks, domination mesmers, actual rangers, prekiting, less spam and more brain, no perma anything (in pvp, but pve should have followed suit) …

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

I miss mobs in pve that actually had builds and used their skills like actual players. Also, if I remember right, they ran out of aoe. Still can’t understand why the mobs in gw2 are stupider than those in gw1.

Also I miss the assassin.

And the armor the assassin wore. Why was medium armor in gw1 so much more diverse, while in gw2 its just trench coats.

Also I miss factions and nightfall. I also miss missions and hard mode missions.

Finally, didn’t necro minions look way cooler in gw1 than in gw2.

Yeah i liked that the mobs used skills that were available to players except for things like Spectral Agony ect ect. I also liked seeing the Aura that surrounded them letting you know what class they were. I could see something like that happening with silver mobs if Anet decided to bring that back way down the line. There are class NPC’s in the mist that fight like you would expect a player to…….kind of.

Anyways we will see what direction Arenanet takes the game in after Scarlet’s story is wrapped up.