Something weird is going on:

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smiggles.6823

Smiggles.6823

In every profession specific forum there are threads saying effectively “this profession is bad, everything is bad.”

Nowhere is there a post complimenting Anet’s successes. I’m a filthy casual, I’ve only unlocked part of tier 3 fractals, done no raids, my wvw rank is like 150, my spvp rank is like 40. People will say I’m not qualified to speak on this but I find it confusing. How can every class be bad, every skill too low damage? Yet the game is too easy and needs to be more difficult. There seems to be a lack of moderate views.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Isn’t it self explanatory? The players who are happy with their classes are busy playing them. The ones that aren’t feel a need to vent. It’s a kind of unconcious natural selection.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Honest recommendation, avoid the forum topics for the classes if you want to read good things about them. They really are for feedback on how the class is more than anything, at least thats how i see them.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: tairneanach.8427

tairneanach.8427

That’s not weird, that’s just the internet. Seriously, visit any gaming forum and you’ll be seeing lots of negativity and barely a shred of positivity. If the game has classes, every single one is underpowered in the minds of those who play it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The prof-specific forums are great if you have a specific question about how to do something. I have had great responses to asking “what hit me” after losing ignominiously in WvW or PvP, as well as “how does [prof] handle this fight?”

But few threads do justice to discussing game or class balance; there’s just too much bias towards the favored prof.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

this is nothing new. every MMO says how horrible it is due to the vocal minority. If you took what everyone said as truth then GW2 is a garbage sleazy money grubbing game that intentionally ruins all your favorite classes for the lulz.

Smiggles.6823

I’m an ele main though that may change with how fun the Holosmith elite is. Big laser BOOM!

I play based on fun. Am going to be away until after PoF drops due to real life but I plan to switch up my zerker gear for celestial eventually since I prefer utility/optimal for damage. With the addition of mounts I’ll probably go for my first map completion too. The biggest win here for me is that I can play mage archetypes without a mana bar. No stopping play just to wait for my resource to regen. Just get in and go.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

My favorite was when someone posted after the test weekend when everyone could try the new elite-spez: “All the new spez is bad and horrible, and all other elite’s are overpowered!” Which basically summed up all the class sub forums opinions in one sentence.

Honestly just ignore the forums on this, and play what you like. Every class is capable of at least almost everything, and you can play through the entire game as any class. It’s more about learning the class, making a build you like that works, and mastering it and the controls. Adapt to different enemies, and perhaps change out a few skills or some stats if you run into a problem etc.

For example, having fun watching the Bristleback’s suicide against my Wall of Reflect

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Smiggles.6823

Lol, I didn’t think of that. I plan to try to get every elite spec unlocked eventually. I like the idea of a core mesmer duel-wielding holosmith’s blades. Or heck a power chronomancer. I prefer power builds atm because the gearing is easier. At least ascended wise.

I’d love to see a vid of you reflecting that bristleback to death lol.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

That is how it always is with MMOs. Every class is overpowered except the one you’re playing.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

To quote Shawn Schuster of GuildCast (waaaay back) – “Saying people in the forums are complaining is a bit like saying people in the pool are wet.”

Posted by: Ganpot.3879

Ganpot.3879

Yes, there is a lot of blanket complaining on the forums in general. However, if you dig a bit deeper, it usually becomes apparent that the majority of complaints are much more specific than just “our class sucks”. A few examples:

Guardian: I saw a lot of positive comments about Firebrand, but also that it was very clunky to use due to long book cooldowns (regardless of whether you used any abilities from them before switching) and tons of short-range cone abilities (which make it very hard to hit multiple allies and/or enemies at the same time). Those both seem like fairly easy things to fix (extend and/or widen cones, and reduce cooldown based on unused pages).

Ranger: Most of the negative comments revolved around the new Soulbeast weapon. Apparently it is a hybrid weapon that just doesn’t do anything particularly well. Some other complaints are that the central Soulbeast mechanic relies on important cooldowns (pet abilities and pet swap) that become hidden from players. Besides some abnormalities (damage amplification from Sic’ Em and Maul), many players are also concerned that the benefits from fusing with a pet do not outweigh a Ranger’s naturally ~30% lower damage (which the pet is supposed to supply). Overall, the Soulbeast has potential but is really rough around the edges.

On the other hand, several upcoming elite specs (Mirage and Renegade) had virtually no positive feedback as far as I could tell. I’m inclined to believe that those are the ones which really are in a bad overall state.

(edited by Ganpot.3879)

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

I am very happy with my stealing, stabbing, shooting and soon sniping Thief.
But trying to calm down things is literally impossible. It’s a ragefest in these threads and any sort of de-escalation is like putting one single, unarmed cop into a drug ghetto. You won’t last long.

Especially since every thread revolves around PvP. Even basic threads derail into “But class X is better against us” after 2 posts even though the thread itself was very basically spoken and had loosely to do with comparisions about other professions.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

IHow can every class be bad, every skill too low damage?

That’s simple. Past experiences have shown, that the class that the least number of people are complaining about (or, even worse, class that a significant number of people people claim is okay) is going to get nerfed. Nobody wants their class to get nerfed.

Also, as someone already mentioned, a lot of complains are much more specific than this – they’re about either specific elite spec, a skill, a weapon, or a situation/environment. Every class has some elements that are… not so good. And every class/build has a situation/content type where it may be suboptimal and overshadowed by other classes.
There’s also a case of some widespread nerfs (like the condi food change) where everyone is affected and people are comparing the situation with prenerf state.

So, basically, a lot of complains are very valid, you just need to pay attention what exactly is being complained about.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The situation at the profession forums is why developers rarely post there.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The situation at the profession forums is why developers rarely post there.

It goes the other way around as well – the situation at the professions forum is as it is because the balance devs rarely communicate at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

People are more likely to voice their opinion when they are unhappy. Most classes have weaknesses here and there (E.g. Many classes are subpar in wvw zergs, others provide substantially lower dps for raids etc). Combine these and you are going to get lots of complaints.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

The vast majority of players never even visit the forums much less post in them. That’s why you see the same names all the time around here.

The profession forums tend to have a lot of people who complain that their preferred class is weak and every other class is much better. I’d take anything I read there with a pinch of salt.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

negativity is always more readily expressed than positivity

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

In every profession specific forum there are threads saying effectively “this profession is bad, everything is bad.”

Nowhere is there a post complimenting Anet’s successes. I’m a filthy casual, I’ve only unlocked part of tier 3 fractals, done no raids, my wvw rank is like 150, my spvp rank is like 40. People will say I’m not qualified to speak on this but I find it confusing. How can every class be bad, every skill too low damage? Yet the game is too easy and needs to be more difficult. There seems to be a lack of moderate views.

As you say yourself you are a casual, which means you only scratch the surface of the content you play in, you arnt in a position to fully delve into the dyanimcs and mechanics. People who are dedicated are naturally often more subject to experience more, and thats why they yell. Sure some may do it for the wrong reasons or based on faulty impressions, but the intent is often good. It’s like With anything in life, even yours, the stuff you care about you are more passionate and critical about.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

In MMO boards traditionally the motto “Learn to complain without suffering” rules. I can name two effects who substantially contribute to this.

Confirmation bias about one’s self-value dictates that if you win, it was due to your superior skill. However, if the other guy wins, it was caused by your underpowered class.

Self-censorship prevents players to post anything positive about their class, fearing that could motivate a nerf. In an ongoing crying contest about your favorite class praise means scoring negative points.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

In MMO boards traditionally the motto “Learn to complain without suffering” rules. I can name two effects who substantially contribute to this.

Confirmation bias about one’s self-value dictates that if you win, it was due to your superior skill. However, if the other guy wins, it was caused by your underpowered class.

Self-censorship prevents players to post anything positive about their class, fearing that could motivate a nerf. In an ongoing crying contest about your favorite class praise means scoring negative points.

That actually makes a lot of sense.
But it seems like you’re only talking about PvP here.

Meanwhile in PvE, min-maxing-Vets with their DPS-meters etc. are basically creating a Meta like “play this or gtfo”
Of course, when doing Raids etc. with your guild or friends, you will most likely be able to play whatever you want.
But the fear of getting kicked out of pug-groups for playing non-meta builds leads a lot of players to follow said Meta/ consider non-Meta-builds as “bad”.
Then again, they would prefer to play the way they want, so they come to the Forum and complain about how “bad” their class/build is, in hope it gets a buff and makes it into the Meta.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)