Sooooo Legendary Armor o.o

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

Since we are going to have a hopefully enjoyable, non grindy, fun new way of getting legendary weapons. Can we please also have a similar approach for introducing legendary armour into the game sometime in the future?

Now before the anti-gear progression brigade comes in to argue that we already have ascended armour and dungeon armours etc etc……..been there done that….want moar !

How much ever the casual gamers may grumble about gear progression forcing them to “play hardcore” a certain amount of continuous progression is needed to keep the game exciting and help players continue to set higher goals. And I know some who will grind for hours to buy that brand new dye x.x (shadow abyss….such hype…..) but grumble when it comes to gear…

And noo it won’t be pay to win or grindy even….the new approach to legendary gear making outlined by Anet clearly indicates that people won’t be able to “cash” legendary gear. This is a good opportunity to start thinking about introducing legendary armour skins. And yes the ascended armour skins are boring :-/

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Legendaries are definitely still going to be a grind. A few extra mats for doing some stuff in a map won’t revolutionize T6 mat farm. And I know Anet showed easy things like “dance with QJ” for the collections, but you can be assured there’s going to be ones that are much more time consuming.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Legendary armor sounds like an extraordinary development effort for little to no gain. We’re talking about 3 tiers of armor, 6 pieces per set, more than a couple of sets per tier, requiring unique artwork and effects for each set, and a drawn-out, lengthy method of acquiring each individual piece, presumably with either ascended armor as the starting point, or you’re doubling the number of armor pieces they have to make.

And for all those hundreds of hours of work, ANet gets a handful of hardcore players patting them on the back, and truckloads of others griping about gear grind. The only way they could make money on it is by doing something sneaky involving gems and mats, which people would pick up on right away and whine about P2W even more than they already do.

It’s a nice idea at the surface, but the effort it would take to implement would surely outweigh the returns by a longshot.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

No need for legendary armor if they make more kitten outfits.

Posted by: Morsheira.6102

Morsheira.6102

Ugh, I am getting tired of the outfits frankly. I used to love the character customization…. and well… clearly that is going the way of the dinosaur. Just proves the Devs aren’t really reading these threads with how unhappy people are about the endless stream of outfits and lack of actual armor skins /shrug

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Legendary armor sounds like an extraordinary development effort for little to no gain. We’re talking about 3 tiers of armor, 6 pieces per set, more than a couple of sets per tier, requiring unique artwork and effects for each set, and a drawn-out, lengthy method of acquiring each individual piece, presumably with either ascended armor as the starting point, or you’re doubling the number of armor pieces they have to make.

And for all those hundreds of hours of work, ANet gets a handful of hardcore players patting them on the back, and truckloads of others griping about gear grind. The only way they could make money on it is by doing something sneaky involving gems and mats, which people would pick up on right away and whine about P2W even more than they already do.

It’s a nice idea at the surface, but the effort it would take to implement would surely outweigh the returns by a longshot.

Inorite?? BANISH the thought that a MMORPG gaming company ACTUALLY BUILD content the fans will be excited over and want to dump millions of hours into wanting to play through or obtain. GOOD LORD! That would be an UTTER TRAVESTY!

Those poor, poor dears! They must be working their fingers to the bone on them outfits that are a ‘one size fits all’. My land, we couldn’t DARE possibly ask them to put more effort into making and creating in-game items we would LOVE to have! That would be just SO WRONG of us.

Its a great thing that people like you keep a good community like this in check, to make sure that we think the highest bar possible is complete and accepting mediocrity.

#StopSettlingForLess2015

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

(edited by slamfunction.7462)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I wouldn’t mind Legendary armor… with that oh so handy stat swap…a long as it had ALL of the stat combos.

And Andred, you forgot about legendary trinkets. We know they were working on those at one point. Though who knows what became of it.

Still, there are more important things on my “would like to see in game list” that I’d like to see prioritized over legendary armor.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Legendaries are more than just cosmetic items.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

No thanks.

One of the things I prefer about this game (and I certainly don’t prefer everything) is that it is slightly less gear-progression obsessed than WoW is.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

non grindy

lol! did we read the same news? (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/)
visit vendor, start journey towards precursor
complete a collection themed around the legendary, includes items, materials, minis, food, junk. “all about the hunt”
this lets you unlock a recipe to craft the pre-pre-precursor (I assume this will require deldrimor ingots and spiritwood planks)
then you run around and talk to people about how to get a recipe to refine it into the pre-precursor (remember making mawdry?) (more deldrimor and spiritwood)
more running around talking to people, “participate in a range of activities” to get the recipe to craft the precursor.
all of these are non-TPable
then the rest of the legendary is same as usual.
I suppose it depends on your definition of ‘grindy’.

as for legendary armor, I would say ‘no’. reason is that legendaries are not legendary. once upon a time they were. now, people notice you if you are NOT running a legendary. they are not fancy anymore. now imagine an entire zerg with the same armor too.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Posted by: chaosdurza.3291

chaosdurza.3291

Why not a legendary back piece? Would work for all of the armor ranks and professions, so you would only need one. Maybe have it interact with a legendary you already have equipped, enhancing its visual effect or something along those lines. Add new effects based on what you’re already using. Could be cool.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Legendary armor ftw!

IDEA: Instead of creating armors for each weight class, legendary armor can just change weight class depending on what character equips it, like how any class can wear various outfits. So no need to make separate armor skins/models for each weight classs!

Like the radiant armor skins are now!

That way any legendary armor they create is useful to every character. That’d put a lot less stress the dev team. They could have either one legendary armor set or maybe 2 or 3. But if all of them can be equipped by any character.

WEEEEE!

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I’m betting each precursor will be like getting a complete set of luminescent gear. You won’t be suddenly getting each and every one of the legendaries now that you have the precursor.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Ankushp.7245

Legendaries are more than just cosmetic items.

Exactly. Am sure people who finally put in the ingredients into the mystic forge and get their legendaries have a lot more satisfaction at that moment than just clicking and buying an outfit from the cash shop…….

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

IMO, all areas of equipment need the legendary level. It’s the end game for GW2. People say that the stat difference isn’t that much but if it’s BiS, then it’s BiS. End of discussion. Plus legendary items have the stat swapping option that makes them a vary nice QoL item.

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

Honestly (and Anet might be heading this direction), I would rather see Legendary Accessories first.

Look at the Preserved Queen Bee and the Poly-luminescent Jewels that give aura effects to your character. I can see them doing this with Legendary Accessories where they could change more of your animations etc. Easier grind for 1 piece and it gives you a unique effect as well.

Ankushp.7245

non grindy

lol! did we read the same news? (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/)
visit vendor, start journey towards precursor
complete a collection themed around the legendary, includes items, materials, minis, food, junk. “all about the hunt”
this lets you unlock a recipe to craft the pre-pre-precursor (I assume this will require deldrimor ingots and spiritwood planks)
then you run around and talk to people about how to get a recipe to refine it into the pre-precursor (remember making mawdry?) (more deldrimor and spiritwood)
more running around talking to people, “participate in a range of activities” to get the recipe to craft the precursor.
all of these are non-TPable
then the rest of the legendary is same as usual.
I suppose it depends on your definition of ‘grindy’.

as for legendary armor, I would say ‘no’. reason is that legendaries are not legendary. once upon a time they were. now, people notice you if you are NOT running a legendary. they are not fancy anymore. now imagine an entire zerg with the same armor too.

Being non-tradeable I expect it will be rarer than the tradeable legendaries we have today.

And even for the current legendaries, it did take quiet a while before they became common. A legendary armor set would give people a nice long goal stretching over a year or 2. This is 6-7 pieces (with backpiece) we are talking about.

Ankushp.7245

IMO, all areas of equipment need the legendary level. It’s the end game for GW2. People say that the stat difference isn’t that much but if it’s BiS, then it’s BiS. End of discussion. Plus legendary items have the stat swapping option that makes them a vary nice QoL item.

Might actually promote people experimenting some variety in builds instead of the standard zerk gear…..

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

If the stats are same as ascended I don’t care

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Ankushp.7245

Enough planes….discuss GW2!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

There is no way in heck that the new legendaries are not going to be “grindy.”

They will be.

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

Could be nice to have armor to change from zerk to anything else but I would rather see more armor unlockable not thru the gemstore first