Sorry to tell you this (new dyes)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

For those who bought Glossy Black Dye in hopes of getting a cheaper alternative to Shadow Abyss you made a blooper there.
Unfortunately Glossy Black Dye is only darker than Black Dye, while regular Abyss Dye is still darker than it.
Glossy Black Dye hex code is #1e1c1f which is brighter than Abyss on all armour classes. Abyss Dye on light and medium armour is #1a181b on those, and #0f0f0f on heavy armour which is even darker.
So yes if you want an alternative to Shadow Abyss Dye which is greyish too, Abyss Dye is still the best. As other dyes are tinted, like Midnight Fire which may appear brownish on some armour piecess.
In other words it’s not worth 300g, as it only stands between Black Dye and Abyss Dye which cost a fraction of it together.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Anyone who purchases dyes within the first 24 hours they appear is not usually looking for a discount.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Meh, I will never understand this obsession with black dyes, they are so boring.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Meh, I will never understand this obsession with black dyes, they are so boring.

Ditto. Guess that this is still true though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46kXH6GGtT0

Nigel Tufnel: It’s like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can preview all dyes in-game by checking ‘show locked’ in the dye menu. So if anyone wanted to see how it compares to other black dyes they can do that before buying it.

It depends what you do with them. I agree it’s boring if you just dye your whole outfit black (and I say that as someone who often wears all black in real life), but if you use them with other dyes it can look really good.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

You can preview all dyes in-game by checking ‘show locked’ in the dye menu. So if anyone wanted to see how it compares to other black dyes they can do that before buying it.

It depends what you do with them. I agree it’s boring if you just dye your whole outfit black (and I say that as someone who often wears all black in real life), but if you use them with other dyes it can look really good.

It can also not be boring if you dye your whole outfit. I got one character who has 3 different kind of blacks on her armour, even her greatsword is black (Belinda’s Greatsword). It just fits with her character.

For the rest, I really like a black black on things like boots…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

All black has its place in the game I don’t have any all black armor but that ghostly outfit, now I do have one char wearing an all black version of that. Combined with the ghostly infusion and the black Murrsaat backpiece/wings, I think she looks pretty good.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Agree. I need to get a true black to go with my orange for Halloween.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I want Silver Satin, mostly because satin is comfy.

More seriously I’d love to see a breakdown of the differences between these new dyes and standing dyes.

Also how many people just decided to get Shadow Abyss from their 4th bday?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I still have all 4 of my 4th year “choose a dye” packs. Just can’t decide what ones I want.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

For those who bought Glossy Black Dye in hopes of getting a cheaper alternative to Shadow Abyss you made a blooper there.
Unfortunately Glossy Black Dye is only darker than Black Dye, while regular Abyss Dye is still darker than it.
Glossy Black Dye hex code is #1e1c1f which is brighter than Abyss on all armour classes. Abyss Dye on light and medium armour is #1a181b on those, and #0f0f0f on heavy armour which is even darker.
So yes if you want an alternative to Shadow Abyss Dye which is greyish too, Abyss Dye is still the best. As other dyes are tinted, like Midnight Fire which may appear brownish on some armour piecess.
In other words it’s not worth 300g, as it only stands between Black Dye and Abyss Dye which cost a fraction of it together.

Shawdow Magenta/red isn’t bad on plate. Just a slight red hue, but still pretty black. Theres is a cheaper black dye for cloth and leather though. i’m not ingame so i can’t say what it is but its like silver in price.

if you really want shadow abyss just wait till your 4rth birthday and you get it for free!

Abyss dye show more variation/detail in your armor, it appears more grey (sorta)
Shawdow Abyss is total black out. No detail, almost looks like your 2D flat.

I remember when Abyss was as dark as Shadow Abyss. Then before shadow dyes were released they adjusted the overall color of the game. It looked like someone had gone into my options and messed with my display settings. There was a noticeable difference! and then Abyss became lighter/changed in appearance.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

People like it on Necros and people like it on Thieves. People like it on plate, they like to look like Batman

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

WTB: Vantablack Dye

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

SlippyCheeze.5483

Do you really need a blacker black than the ones available in-game, though? That’s kinda what I’m talking about here, that it’s already at the point you can use black dye that makes the armor featureless…

I guess the next step is a “black hole” costume to match the cosmic gathering tools, so we end up with this black void wandering around, occasionally popping out this galaxy to eat an ore node…

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Do you really need a blacker black than the ones available in-game, though? That’s kinda what I’m talking about here, that it’s already at the point you can use black dye that makes the armor featureless…

I guess the next step is a “black hole” costume to match the cosmic gathering tools, so we end up with this black void wandering around, occasionally popping out this galaxy to eat an ore node…

That’s a good point. I do think we want to remain in the Tyrian galaxy and not one far, far away.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Some “lesser” black dyes look better because you can still see the textures of the armor. This new one probably falls into that category for some.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s a good point. I do think we want to remain in the Tyrian galaxy and not one far, far away.

You see? This is where ANet should leap in to the dye market. True black dye that turns you into a featureless blob that wipes out every detail of your char and its armor would be eagerly sought after.

After that, Invisible dye! Use the Invisible dye to not only wipe out your armor but the body underneath the armor. Using it on a set of armor would cause the char to be completely invisible. They could be seen as only a set of wings and a harvesting tool wandering across the landscape.

That would be coool.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

just don’t make a blacker than black dye, a black so black it creates a virtual singularity sucking all other colors into it so all that remains is the blackest of all black.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Some “lesser” black dyes look better because you can still see the textures of the armor. This new one probably falls into that category for some.

Yes. It’s a much higher contrast black than any of the other options – it’s lighter than black on ‘light’ parts of textures, while darker than abyss on others. Thus it dyes your armor black while also making the textures pop.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

on Aetherblade Heavy Armor Chestpiece even Shadow Abyss is nowhere near black and just grey though for example

So there is potential for more intense black… but it would be better if Anet just changed that Aetherblade armor to allow colors to be dark on it

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

You see? This is where ANet should leap in to the dye market. True black dye that turns you into a featureless blob that wipes out every detail of your char and its armor would be eagerly sought after.

After that, Invisible dye! Use the Invisible dye to not only wipe out your armor but the body underneath the armor. Using it on a set of armor would cause the char to be completely invisible. They could be seen as only a set of wings and a harvesting tool wandering across the landscape.

That would be coool.

Isn’t that called “Thief”?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Speaking of galaxies far, far away. Can we get more lightsaber type swords? You can pretty much copy the design exactly and get away with it as long as you use a different name. Plenty of games do it with no copyright issues. Just call it an Asuran plasma saber and you’re good to go. And add the “whoosh” sound to it when the blade comes out.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

I still have all 4 of my 4th year “choose a dye” packs. Just can’t decide what ones I want.

Same! I save all of those for when I’m working on a new character’s appearance or I’m doing a new cosplay and it requires a very specific color scheme that I maybe haven’t unlocked yet. Better to hang onto those dye packs until you need them rather than just choosing the most expensive dyes “just because,” in my opinion.

But yeah, also WTB vantablack.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Bummer, I was hoping the dye would be an Enameled version of Shadow Abyss;
glad I saved my money.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I want Silver Satin, mostly because satin is comfy.

More seriously I’d love to see a breakdown of the differences between these new dyes and standing dyes.

Also how many people just decided to get Shadow Abyss from their 4th bday?

I bought mine on the BLTP back when it was 200g.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

But … black is the new black … right?

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Darth Maul’s got a few words for you, and he’s not much of a talker!

Attachments:

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Speaking of galaxies far, far away. Can we get more lightsaber type swords? You can pretty much copy the design exactly and get away with it as long as you use a different name. Plenty of games do it with no copyright issues. Just call it an Asuran plasma saber and you’re good to go. And add the “whoosh” sound to it when the blade comes out.

My Sith Lords like the direction this is going.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Might I recommend a Midnight Orange? Easier to get than DARK ABYSS OF YOUR SOUL BLACK, and it’s just as dark. And if it does show a little color, it’ll match your orange!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Rikimaru.7890

But Shadow Abyss Dye is true black, it’s hex code is #000000 on all armour classes.
And #000000 is hex code for the true black. Of course there are parts it may not be intense enough to look black but instead greyish, however there is nothing darker in the color spectrum than #000000.

Posted by: AnClar.1304

AnClar.1304

Sorry…I will never again have something in a color that advertises itself as “gloss black”. I just got rid of my gloss black iPhone…waaaay too many scratches! Unless ANet has figured out a non-scratch gloss black, I just can’t imagine walking around Tyria with scratched-up armor!

(edited by AnClar.1304)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

But Shadow Abyss Dye is true black, it’s hex code is #000000 on all armour classes.
And #000000 is hex code for the true black. Of course there are parts it may not be intense enough to look black but instead greyish, however there is nothing darker in the color spectrum than #000000.

Except for minus #000000… oh wait, that’s the same number.

You’re right, of course, but ArenaNet dyes also have a Material type so they can be Vibrant, Leather or Metallic dyes and the result is different depending on whether you apply the dye to Cloth, Leather or Metal armour. So I suppose the question is that, as Shadow Abyss is a (quick wiki search) Vibrant dye, is it “blacker” when applied to Cloth than when it’s applied to Leather or Metal armour?

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Anyone who purchases dyes within the first 24 hours they appear is not usually looking for a discount.

I must have all the colors.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

If you want an “all black” character you can buy a Poly-luminescent Undulating Refractor (Black). It is much cheaper than Shadow Abyss Dye.

Rikimaru.7890

Except for minus #000000… oh wait, that’s the same number.

You’re right, of course, but ArenaNet dyes also have a Material type so they can be Vibrant, Leather or Metallic dyes and the result is different depending on whether you apply the dye to Cloth, Leather or Metal armour. So I suppose the question is that, as Shadow Abyss is a (quick wiki search) Vibrant dye, is it “blacker” when applied to Cloth than when it’s applied to Leather or Metal armour?

Yes some dyes have different hex codes when used on different armour class like Celestial Dye, which is #D3D0CF on light and leather armour, but #C5C1C0 on heavy armour. However Shadow Abyss is #000000 on all armour classes, which also makes it the only dye that is #000000 on leather armour. You can see the hex codes by going to the article of a specific dye and on the right you will see 3 small squares which represents each armour class. If you put your cursor on one of the squares it will display the hex code for that armour class when you apply that dye to it.

Posted by: Aethercat.7906

Aethercat.7906

to me black dye is nice, but in combo with other color palette compliments entire outfit you don.

abyss is standard black dye on most outfit you at least see texture

shadow abyss is darkest and only look good on certain bits… too black no texture very tasteless.

i have not bother with glossy black yet but it look in between black and abyss which could help with some armor bit to not dye properly with older color.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Yes some dyes have different hex codes when used on different armour class like Celestial Dye, which is #D3D0CF on light and leather armour, but #C5C1C0 on heavy armour. However Shadow Abyss is #000000 on all armour classes, which also makes it the only dye that is #000000 on leather armour. You can see the hex codes by going to the article of a specific dye and on the right you will see 3 small squares which represents each armour class. If you put your cursor on one of the squares it will display the hex code for that armour class when you apply that dye to it.

http://gw2timer.com and http://gw2efficiency.com both have dye tools that are nicer to browse than the GW2 wiki for this purpose. (At least, in my experience, YMMV.)

Also, google will turn up many other preview resources — dulfy, dyealogue, etc, etc, that offer different takes on how to preview and filter these.