Soulbound Removal

Soulbound Removal

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Overfly.9032

Overfly.9032

Can we please get an item, say for 200 gems, or from MF attendant to throw a soulbound item which used to be soulbound on use into the MF and get it back non soulbound?

I got a precursor on a character that I no longer want who will never finish world completion and would rather transfer it to my main.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I understand your pain, but I doubt very much that will happen.

I see a possible disruption to the economy if previous soulbound items started flooding the market.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

The item is an exotic. Can’t you get another exotic and put the skin on it if you want it for the looks? If you want it for making a legendary can’t you do world completion on your main to get your gift of exploration then have your first char craft the legendary?

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It could be ok, if it changed the item to account bound – so it’s still not tradable but you can transfer it to another character on your account. And maybe make it soulbind on equip.

But it shouldn’t be a problem with a precursor you want to turn into a legendary because all of the other components are account bound. So you can do world completion on another character, buy or collect the other components on whichever character you choose and then pass it all to the one who has the precursor to throw in the Forge. Legendaries aren’t soulbound so once they’ve made it you can give it to any character on your account.

I’m in the process of making the Bifrost and so far I’ve used at least 4 characters for different steps in the process.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

I think the complaint is that he cannot delete this character slot because then he loses access to the precursor – so he’s stuck with this character until he’s able to complete all the other aspects of his legendary prerequisites and craft it.

While I agree that removing soulbound has serious potential repercussions, I would be in support of having a mechanism to either convert soulbound to accountbound (honestly, they should’ve gotten rid of soulbound ages ago), or if that’s unacceptable for some reason – have a mechanism to transfer soulbinding to another character. Make either of the above processes something that has a small fee in gold or mats, and you’re not impacting the economy in a negative fashion (e.g. you’re not juggling gear between characters when each should just have their own set).

I once crafted a celestial greatsword on my thief, only to find it was already soulbound to my thief. She couldn’t even wield a greatsword. I put it in my bank and contacted support, never heard anything back, and eventually just deleted it when I needed the slot. It was only exotic, it wasn’t wupwup, so it was less stressful to just be done with the whole situation than keep seeing it. A precursor would be another thing entirely.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’d support converting everything soulbound to account bound. Soulbound is an unnecessary restriction on players imho. We just need to persuade MO that soulbound is not cool ;p

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’ve always hated soulbound and it feels very outdated, especially in a game like GW2 which does a good job of sharing items between toons from the offset. I fully support removing soulbound and replacing with account bound on all applicable items.

Soulbound Removal

jheryn.8390

The only thing I can see that they might have a problem with changing some soulbound stuff to account bound, would be things like heart rewards, personal advancement rewards and the like.

You would only have to have one toon finish everything and then all the rest could get whatever he/she accomplished. Not that most of those things make a difference, but maybe there are some that do.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The only thing I can see that they might have a problem with changing some soulbound stuff to account bound, would be things like heart rewards, personal advancement rewards and the like.

You would only have to have one toon finish everything and then all the rest could get whatever he/she accomplished. Not that most of those things make a difference, but maybe there are some that do.

Pretty sure people are only referring to items so stuff like hearts would be irrelevant.

Even if they aren’t there is no need to take it to that extreme.

Soulbound Removal

jheryn.8390

Pretty sure people are only referring to items so stuff like hearts would be irrelevant.

Even if they aren’t there is no need to take it to that extreme.

Items are what I am talking about not heart completion. After you complete hearts you can buy items. Some of those items are used in completing other content that can be completed per toons. There could be other reasons not to as well. Only the devs can truly answer that.

So yes, getting rid of souldbound altogether may not be good.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

Yeah, I don’t disagree there – the intention isn’t to allow someone to shortcut content on alts. This would be more to take anything that is “account bound, soulbound on equip” to simply remain “accountbound”. If there are concerns about some impact to the economy because suddenly people aren’t buying a new set of exotic gear for their alts, or this somehow devalues ascended gear, then making a way to reset something that was soulbound (due to equipping) to accountbound for a nominal fee.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I got a precursor on a character that I no longer want who will never finish world completion and would rather transfer it to my main.

Precursors are just exotics, so you can just replace it with another exotic for your main — that’s an intended design mechanic, so that the demand for exotics stays high.

If you end up making the legendary, it doesn’t matter that the precursor is soulbound, because everything else you produce will not be. All of the various ‘gifts’ are account bound and can be transferred to the character who has the precursor.

In short, you don’t have to convert your weapon and ANet doesn’t need to spend time & effort to design, test, and implement a new mechanic that has huge economic implications.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

With Precursors being one of the very few exceptions where the totality of the item is important for a purpose other than hitting monsters, they should definitely be accountbound on use (or upon crafting).

Other Exotic gear can remain soulbound in order to float the value of exotic gear.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

One thing that bugs me is that the back items for the Order collections (the exotic level items) are soulbound on acquire. That was… unexpected, and I ended up getting two on a character since I had the currency for the last bit of it.

I’m not even sure what the point of soulbound, as opposed to accountbound, is.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

Can we please get an item, say for 200 gems, or from MF attendant to throw a soulbound item which used to be soulbound on use into the MF and get it back non soulbound?

If you soulbound a precursor to a toon you no longer like/want to play just do map completion on your main, Then when you have all the gifts (which are all account bound) move them to the toon you don’t like and mystic forge it all to create the legendary, Store it in your bank and delete the bad toon. Soulbound to Accountbound would be nice.

Soulbound Removal

Khisanth.2948

One thing that bugs me is that the back items for the Order collections (the exotic level items) are soulbound on acquire. That was… unexpected, and I ended up getting two on a character since I had the currency for the last bit of it.

I’m not even sure what the point of soulbound, as opposed to accountbound, is.

Ended up with the same along with a mistward boot on a thief …

On the other hand I have no use for exotic back items anymore so there is that. Maybe the dev assumed that was the case for everyone else as well but that would mean they purposely added a useless reward.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With Precursors being one of the very few exceptions where the totality of the item is important for a purpose other than hitting monsters, they should definitely be accountbound on use (or upon crafting).

Other Exotic gear can remain soulbound in order to float the value of exotic gear.

That seems like a fair compromise.

It’s not necessary, since it’s simple enough to work around the ‘binding’. However, it would feel better, so it might be worth the effort on ANet’s part.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Any kind of bound is terrible for players, removal suggested back in launch or before because we didnt want wow features (this game made this thing so famous and all other companies followed that path because the benefits they get having this system), we wanted total control over our items and decide what to do with them

Rremoving bound totally its better and you wont think otherwise if you ever played a game with no bound at all

I took an arrow to the knee

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Any kind of bound is terrible for players, removal suggested back in launch or before because we didnt want wow features (this game made this thing so famous and all other companies followed that path because the benefits they get having this system) and we wanted total control over our items and decide what to do with them

And no there wont be repercussions removing bound totally its better and you wont think otherwise if you ever played a game with no bound at all

With the wardrobe, no bound would destroy the market. People would buy the item, get the skin and then sell the item. Eventually demand for the items tanks and the items go to vendor level.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

If you want the skin but don’t want to bind the item to a particular character, you can always right click and “unlock skin”. If you do this to a precursor you will have bound it to your account, unlocked the skin, but it wouldn’t be soulbound. Since you cannot sell it because it is soulbound, you could possibly salvage it and get the item that you will need for the legendary (you might want to check on that, because I’ve only crafted legendaries, so I don’t know if you would get the item you needed without completing each volume of the legendary journey). This information might not help you anymore, because you’ve soulbound it already, but it could help someone else in the future. DON’T EQUIP A PRECURSOR. Unlock the skin instead.

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

It would probably be easiest if they just removed the bank restriction on withdrawing items soulbound to a different character. That way, even if you’ll never be able to use it on another character again, you can still transfer the soulbound item from one character to another for forging purposes.

(edited by Glacial.9516)

Soulbound Removal

Khisanth.2948

That way, even if you’ll never be able to use it on another character again, you can still transfer the soulbound item from one character to another for forging purposes.

or crafting in the case of the guild weapons …

Soulbound Removal

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Any kind of bound is terrible for players, removal suggested back in launch or before because we didnt want wow features (this game made this thing so famous and all other companies followed that path because the benefits they get having this system), we wanted total control over our items and decide what to do with them

Rremoving bound totally its better and you wont think otherwise if you ever played a game with no bound at all

Item prices have very little to do with the reasoning behind soulbounding of items. Its more of a release in responsibility to ANET for shoddy security designs. Previously gw1 and their other games accounts were hosted on master account site that had a bug where attempting to log into your own account instead randomly logged you into someone elses account giving you complete control over it.

Even now we’ve gone from ip auth to email verification to now SMS….this isn’t being done within the last few years without reason. Soulbound may be annoying but when somone does get unauth access to your account at least they won’t make a large profit versus having unbound items and the access to the anonymity that the trading post brings.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –