Spam whispers out of control

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Polarfairy.8046

Polarfairy.8046

Before the megaserver update I had never received a spam whisper, not a single one. Now i get them almost every 5 minutes, its so frequent I have to turn whispers off completely or sit there for an hour reporting 18 different people. I don’t know if anything can be done about it but it really messes up the messaging system!

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

Don’t only report. Block as well. This is not only stemming from the megaserver, this is also the fact that there was a sale, and the botters and gold sellers bought quite a lot of new accounts, I’m sure.

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

As far as I know, they steal accounts via email spam posts and probably from the people who make the mistake of buying gold/items from them.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I seem to only get spam until after I visit the heart of the mists. It appears most of the bots hang out there, and being that it is mega server’d and the popularity of PvP now… it makes it easy to spam people.

Posted by: Serinetempest.9027

Serinetempest.9027

Last night before work I loaded into the keep and was spammed whispered by gold sellers in hour i say 10 times. this is getting crazy. I have never bought gold from any site. I only buy from guild wars or buy gem cards from game stop. and I have blocked and reported them all. Just hope that they dont ban me for reporting so much lol

MGW Guild

BigfootArisen.6509

As far as I know, they steal accounts via email spam posts and probably from the people who make the mistake of buying gold/items from them.

Seeing as a lot of the accounts I have blocked are along the lines of advkjfhs.####, at least most of what I have seen have been bought accounts for the express purpose of botting and gold selling. I have very few actual names on my block list.

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

Yeah same, though lately I’ve seen more and more real account names. Which naturally leads me to think they’re stealing accounts.

Edit: fail quote…

(edited by Maris.3164)

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Already created a thread about this last nitght: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Overwhelmed-by-gold-sellers

BigfootArisen.6509

Already created a thread about this last nitght: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Overwhelmed-by-gold-sellers

There are about a thousand of these threads on the forums. There were 4 of them on the front page when I first replied to this one. They really need to make a sticky so we don’t see so many of them. Same with mounts and capes.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

It’s only happens after joining the Mists…But gold sellers must have to buy the game xD so +profit for Anet and easy ban for them and then rebuy the game

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

It’s only happens after joining the Mists…But gold sellers must have to buy the game xD so +profit for Anet and easy ban for them and then rebuy the game

If you are being whispered by an account with a non gibberish name, it means the account was “hacked”. So the players that they are banning are actually legitimate customers who lack common security measures. They actually end up losing money, because they have to unban their account and pay someone to restore those items.

If you are reading this topic, do not be the guy who uses the same password for e-mail and their video game you are just asking for trouble. All it takes it to steal a GW2 account, use the exact same password for e-mail and approve the request to log in.

There are way too many uneducated users in regards to computing security that the gold sellers have thousands of accounts at their disposal.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

In other times I would say ‘’They deserved what they got for greed and stupidity’’ but this starts to be a major cause in every mmorpg and just nobody can do a thing…

The only thing many games can do against is that suggesting/informing players on Loading screens(In many games some loads take 1-2 minutes) about that things.In Gw2 my loading time in better days are 20-30 second,in worst 1-2 minutes I would be grateful for some suggestions about game,security etc.

(edited by Amnariel.3659)

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

Yeah, I hadn’t gotten one since returning but now that MegaServer is fully operational, they come pretty frequently. What’s sad is they’re not even normal bot names; they’re legible names, which means some people were pretty silly with their account security.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I haven’t received one gold spammer whisper since the Mega-servers started. It is more than likely people who went to new games used the same password/username and got scammed out of that information.

It have nothing to do with megaservers and everything to do with people not using common sense.

Posted by: Moderator.6840

Moderator.6840

Hi everyone,

The forum is not the place for such issues to be discussed.

If you witness any of Gold Selling while playing, please report them using the in-game ticketing system so our Customer Support team can properly investigate the issue.

Thank you.