Spear should be usable on land

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TyraeL.7965

TyraeL.7965

why spear weapons just usable under water? ?t is obiviously a warrior weapon in history and in all the games. ?t can be a new weapon for warrior/guardian etc. class. What you think about this ?

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I’d give the new elementalist elite spec spears on land.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

why spear weapons just usable under water? ?t is obiviously a warrior weapon in history and in all the games. ?t can be a new weapon for warrior/guardian etc. class. What you think about this ?

Because it’s not a terrestrial weapon in this game. I’m not sure why it matters what other games do, except for nostalgia reasons. Given that a caster (mesmer) uses pistols and swords, I think the choices are arbitrary in terms of connecting to other games; it’s more about finding a balance of gameplay styles, effectiveness, animation, and what the developers had for dinner the night before.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

They can make land spears, and give them the same set of skins. Thats not the problem.
The problem is, the items won’t be interchangeable. A spear would have to specify if its made for the UW slot or the Weapon Equipment Slot, which are two entirely different realms of settings.
They could, say, call all the UW spears ‘Spears’ (as they are now)
And all land spears ‘Pikes’ or ‘Spontoon’ (Polearm) and give them the same set of skins.

As for classes, I would nominate:
Warrior, Guardian, Ranger and Elementalist. (maybe rev, too, I’m fine with the others. But not the thief, since it will overlap too much with the current Daredevil Staff)

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Don’t really think it would make much sense if looking at it from a realistic perspective. The way you fight with a spear is to fight in a group to benefit from the reach of the spear over other melee weapons. Once the enemy get close, you typically either drop it and fight with another melee weapon, or you grab the spear and fight like a staff.

In some ways I think the GW1 approach with Javelin was at least more coherent. But on the whole agreed with Illconceived Was Na, that functionality and purpose is more important anyways.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

Don’t really think it would make much sense if looking at it from a realistic perspective. The way you fight with a spear is to fight in a group to benefit from the reach of the spear over other melee weapons. Once the enemy get close, you typically either drop it and fight with another melee weapon, or you grab the spear and fight like a staff.

In some ways I think the GW1 approach with Javelin was at least more coherent. But on the whole agreed with Illconceived Was Na, that functionality and purpose is more important anyways.

from a realistic perspective a warrior wielding a huge two-handed sword cant spin like a spinning top while covering a huge distance and evading all attacks

on-topic: yes we need the spear weapon class usable on land

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Let’s hope we can use them in the new expansion as land weapons. Would be awesome!

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

What do other games have to do with GW2? Is it some kind of requirement that if another game has a feature then GW2 has to have it also? If so, then I do not like this requirement.

Posted by: TyraeL.7965

TyraeL.7965

What do other games have to do with GW2? Is it some kind of requirement that if another game has a feature then GW2 has to have it also? If so, then I do not like this requirement.

Not important the other games what to do. I didnt want to comparison other games. Using spear for melee characters just common idea and i believe it fits in gw2. using spear as terrestrial weapon is very reasonable. Just my thinking. Could be fun new weapon and skills .

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Although from a game design standpoint, this may be an easy way to incorporate new weapons into GW2.

Essentially make the water weapons function on land with the same (or similar) skills that they have currently.

This expands the number of usable land weapons with less development effort than creating new land weapons from scratch.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Are melee staves not enough? Also, who would get to use land spears? Just warrior? What about the other classes, and what about the other two underwater weapons?

Personally, I don’t see the point (no pun intended) of land spears when ArenaNet can give a certain class melee or throwable staves.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

from a realistic perspective a warrior wielding a huge two-handed sword cant spin like a spinning top while covering a huge distance and evading all attacks

on-topic: yes we need the spear weapon class usable on land

Realism got nothing to do with this game at all. Was mostly a point that the fighting style of a Spear basically resemble a melee staff anyways, except for the first couple of hits from reach. So might as well just give a couple of spear skins to staff, and let more classes use melee staff. It would be the same thing. (Unless you start going down the sillyness that is D&D spears)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I’m hoping the next expansion elite spec for warrior will be spears, I’ve always felt it was a weapon well suited to a warrior, rifle not so much…

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

this could be very interesting and even add something good and new to the game

fully . this topic reminds me fully of the gw1 paragons . using their spears the builds and

combo,s that can be come up with in that game is fun and interesting and hope the

dev,s give it some thought and maybe bring paragons back into the game itself

maybe??

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: nanomidgy.9180

nanomidgy.9180

+1 this idea i’d vote for warrior new elite spec using 2handed spear or blade
example:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5lX1agE_oIo/hqdefault.jpg

Posted by: nanomidgy.9180

nanomidgy.9180

+1 this idea i’d vote for warrior new elite spec using 2handed spear or blade
example:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5lX1agE_oIo/hqdefault.jpg

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

this could be very interesting and even add something good and new to the game

fully . this topic reminds me fully of the gw1 paragons . using their spears the builds and

combo,s that can be come up with in that game is fun and interesting and hope the

dev,s give it some thought and maybe bring paragons back into the game itself

maybe??

Sadly lorewise Paragons cannot return unless human gods themselves appear once again in Tyria.
Even then, Paragon as it is should only be restricted to human race unless ArenaNet decides to make a hard retcon.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Make it one-handed weapon. Spear and shield “300” style. I would love a Spartan type fighter.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Oh my gawd.. please make skill 5 on spear offhand for war be like an animation where you spin it around and it reflects attacks.. I’m just tired so long of warrior being sidelined and left out of so many boons and other advantages other classes seem to take for granted without even realising it. Even necros have their lich form and extra bar and minions that follow them around.. whereas what does warrior have that’s still cool and hasn’t grown out of style by now. Adding some mechanics to a class that’s been deprived of them for so long, like reflects even if it’s on a sole wep skill, would go so far towards breathing new life into a dead and stale class that every1 sadly finds boring and predictable by now

I agree with the arguments made in this thread tho.. all valid points. Realism and GW2 are two things that just don’t clash, and I for one am grateful for that. This game has so much more creative energy than any traditional mmo featuring realistic or medieval swordplay. It’s part of the reason why I feel like this game resonates with me and has such a lasting impression as it does.. things like GS whirl/evade and sword leap with war are of course not possible, but it’s like a captivating art form that makes you think and in some ways even transcends what ppl are capable of achieving in gymnastics like for maybe the olympics to use one example or perhaps simply to show that they can pull it off and wow the crowd by performing some extraordinary feat as they sometimes do

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)