Specializations seem stuck in the past

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bluefox.9580

Bluefox.9580

It occurs to me that the “new” specialization system still seems to adopt the old style and thinking of partial lines being a choice. No one will be going partially into a line any more, yet there’s still 3 minor traits and 9 major traits that progress in a lesser to greater power way of thinking. In the old system this makes sense because putting more points into a line meant sacrifice for specialization, now it seems like at best a visual design flaw that can lead to misleading people, and at worst a design bottleneck that’s hampered efforts to maintain this method.

I’d hate to think a trait like Zephyr’s Speed is being kept as horrible as it is because it’s the first minor trait. Personally I keep hoping to myself the trait is replaced, and each time I think about what it might be changed to, I see how it’s the first trait in a line and how it’s seemingly supposed to be the weakest trait in the line. This thinking doesn’t make sense anymore, as there’s no sacrifice for it and no one will ever go partially into a line anymore, it’s not even an option to do so.

Why weren’t all the minor traits compacted into one, then the 9 other traits simply divided around it in minor/major/grand master segments? We will never not have those three minor traits. This really concerns me to the point of actually starting a thread about it, something I haven’t seen even pointed out yet here or on Reddit.

Bluefox Matari – Elementalist – Maguuma

(edited by Bluefox.9580)

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

Nobody chooses a trait line for the minors though.. least not to my knowledge

they have always seemed like bonus traits to me.. a little something extra to enjoy..

its the major traits people care about

Bluefox.9580

they have always seemed like bonus traits to me.. a little something extra to enjoy..

There are instances of people dropping major traits for minor traits. One big example I can think of is Warrior’s Fast Hands trait. I’d say there’s plenty of minor traits to care about.

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

Do some research mate.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

It’s to create a sense of progression while leveling up. While leveling up you will actually not have all minor traits of a specialization.

Bluefox.9580

It’s to create a sense of progression while leveling up. While leveling up you will actually not have all minor traits of a specialization.

Oi, not having leveled something in over a year made this never occur to me. I guess we can /thread. I still hate Zephyr’s speed.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Still holding onto hope with the minors that in the future we will have options to choose differing options in those spots as well to allow further customization. Odds are low that this will happen but this structure allows for that potential.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

… of partial lines being a choice. No one will be going partially into a line any more, yet there’s still 3 minor traits and 9 major traits that progress in a lesser to greater power way of thinking.

New players and characters will not instantly fill a trait line, obviously. They will still need to progress.

In the old system this makes sense because putting more points into a line meant sacrifice for specialization

You will be able to fill all three (3) trait lines you select at Level 80. This was confirmed around the announce of the design change.

Why weren’t all the minor traits compacted into one […]?

For the exact reason of the above two answers: it provides a similar mechanism of progression for new characters and players, while retaining a parity once everyone is able to do the equivalent of a 6/6/6 build.

TL;DR: none of what OP has described will be a problem, as you will be able to complete your three chosen trait lines once you’ve reached 80.