Spirit Shards as a newer player

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nickhimself.2739

nickhimself.2739

Apparently back when the game was released you could spend hero points on Spirit Shards, effectively giving you a reason to keep acquiring them (hero points) after you’ve completed your spec. If that’s not wholly accurate, I apologize. However, there was a way to obtain more Spirit Shards above and beyond the the leveling method.

Now, I don’t have all mastery lines maxed. Tyrian points are not as abundant as they should be, or as easily obtained. I could finish out HoT if I spent some more time on adventures or collections, but that’s not really the point of this post. Just wanted to point out that because I’m not maxed in either zone, I can’t receive shards from levels.

Is there a reason we can’t go back to spending extra hero points on Spirit Shards? This could be a locked feature until you’ve maxed all of the spec lines, or Miyani could receive what would effectively be a buyback item that converts a Spirit Shard into a Hero Point, so you couldn’t accidentally spend more than you wanted and no longer be able to finish your skills out.

This is only a problem now that I’m interested in crafting a legendary. I spent all of my shards on philosopher’s stones for attempts at forging mystic clovers. However, I still need 200 for a Bloodstone Shard… and I’m sitting at like 13.

If you want to keep the acquisition method the same, why not adjust the current mastery system so that while you don’t have enough mastery points to spend in a zone , but you’ve maxed out the experience bars in all zones you’re able, you go back to leveling toward Spirit Shard? It doesn’t hurt anything or screw the economy in any way, but it doesn’t frustrate those of us who aren’t achievement hunters, haven’t been playing for four years straight, or didn’t get in early on the game and amass a sizable collection of the currency we need?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You could never exchance hero point into spirit shard.

Before they changed the system, you had skill points. Skill points could be used to either unlock skills or to buy crafting material. They later split skill points into hero point for skills and spirit shard for crafting.

Trust me. In the old system skill points for crafting was very rare since our only source was hero challenge and levelling. Now you can drop spirit shard everywhere.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

I think an interesting option would be to train NO mastery line, and reward one spirit shard per equivalent level during this time. Call it “Tyrian Wanderlust” or something.

/notthatlust

Edit: Didn’t we once get a full heal + AOE knockback at level up? It’s been a while.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Skill points or whatever they were originally called were automatically converted into spirit shards on lvl 80 characters with excess points long ago when shards came out.

The only way you can grind that 200 (and i’ve done it many times) is dailies, and converting tomes of knowledge on lvl 80 characters into shards. Basically how i look at it, I can make 3 from a daily, and about 5 a night in WvW from tomes.

gotta grind, and i don’t know any other way to do it faster with little time spent (I only play after work and kids go to bed, so my time spent daily is limited to about 3 hours a night)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Edit: Didn’t we once get a full heal + AOE knockback at level up? It’s been a while.

That is still around.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I used to use skill points to keep track of how many times I leveled. I averaged ~2000 per year, having a little over 6k at the start of HoT. Looking now, I’m at a little over 8k, so you probably get more now on average compared to back then, more so considering I probably play about half as much.

Posted by: nickhimself.2739

nickhimself.2739

Skill points or whatever they were originally called were automatically converted into spirit shards on lvl 80 characters with excess points long ago when shards came out.

The only way you can grind that 200 (and i’ve done it many times) is dailies, and converting tomes of knowledge on lvl 80 characters into shards. Basically how i look at it, I can make 3 from a daily, and about 5 a night in WvW from tomes.

gotta grind, and i don’t know any other way to do it faster with little time spent (I only play after work and kids go to bed, so my time spent daily is limited to about 3 hours a night)

While I don’t have kids, I’m in a similar boat. I work all day, and after I come home and my wife and I get dinner cooked, finished, cleaned up, and then we go about our evening bedtime routine of showering and whatnot, we each get to play from 8pm – 10:30pm. That mostly means I have enough time for dailies and not much else. The weekend at least allows us to play the entire day, so if I’m so focused I can grind out an entire WvW reward track… but still, the Spirit Shard return is pretty dismal.

I really envy you guys who’ve been playing for so long because this isn’t a problem for you.

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

gotta grind, and i don’t know any other way to do it faster with little time spent (I only play after work and kids go to bed, so my time spent daily is limited to about 3 hours a
night)

While I don’t have kids, I’m in a similar boat. I work all day, and after I come home and my wife and I get dinner cooked, finished, cleaned up, and then we go about our evening bedtime routine of showering and whatnot, we each get to play from 8pm – 10:30pm. That mostly means I have enough time for dailies and not much else. The
weekend at least allows us to play the entire day, so if I’m so focused I can grind out an entire WvW reward track… but still, the Spirit Shard return is pretty dismal.

I really envy you guys who’ve been playing for so long because this isn’t a problem for
you.

If you do pvp dailies, even in a pve friendly daily custom arena, youll get a tome every day to every other day that you can give to a level 80 for a spirit shard. That’s 15-30 more a month for doing dailies.

Khisanth.2948

The best place is probably VB since it rains crowbars during the day. The airship cargo has a chance of giving you a spirit shard and the cargo gives bags which has a chance of giving another shard.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are many, many sources of acquisition for Spirit Shards.

Not only do they drop (as loot) for L80 Characters, but these sources, as well:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

Good luck.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, there you go! Even more places to acquire Spirit Shards.

Keep an eye on the loot that scrolls by at the bottom right of your screen. I see Spirit Shards there quite often, when out and about killing random mobs.

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

While I don’t have kids, I’m in a similar boat. I work all day, and after I come home and my wife and I get dinner cooked, finished, cleaned up, and then we go about our evening bedtime routine of showering and whatnot, we each get to play from 8pm – 10:30pm. That mostly means I have enough time for dailies and not much else. The weekend at least allows us to play the entire day, so if I’m so focused I can grind out an entire WvW reward track… but still, the Spirit Shard return is pretty dismal.

I really envy you guys who’ve been playing for so long because this isn’t a problem for you.

FWIW – I started doing an unranked game of PVP for my dailies, and win or lose that’ll cover at least 1 if not 2 of my 3 daily items (sometimes all 3 if I win) – add the queue time and that’s ~15 minutes of gameplay, plus another 15 for looting home instance, guild, and grabbing a quick vista or similar – and my dailies are done in 30 minutes. It lets me get my daily then work on doing something productive, like getting mastery points. Unranked isn’t toxic like ranked (or if someone toxic is there, kindly remind them it’s unranked), and it can be pretty fun – plus, PVP reward tracks! (the only rewards other than WvW I can get now that I’m mastery-point blocked)

Protip for HoT owners – jump to bloodstone fen and do magic gathering while queued, you can get 2 of the 4 dailies in < 2minutes (aerial skills + magic gathering), just make sure you’re on solid ground when you map into PVP or you’ll plummet to your death when you come back.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I have so many shards I don’t even know what to do with them all…
I have 7 level 80 characters, plus stacks of tomes from dailies…
We need more options to spend them on something useful if anything else.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Spirit shards drop, a lot. I went below 1000 when I was crafting my ascended armor and weapons a few months a go and now I’m over 1100 again. And that’s after spending the 3 I get from doing my dailies, every day, on mat promotions. Don’t really notice from where.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The 3 every time you do the 3 dailies is nice.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Why does it take you 2.5 hours a night to do dailies?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Apparently back when the game was released you could spend hero points on Spirit Shards, effectively giving you a reason to keep acquiring them (hero points) after you’ve completed your spec. If that’s not wholly accurate, I apologize. However, there was a way to obtain more Spirit Shards above and beyond the the leveling method.

Now, I don’t have all mastery lines maxed. Tyrian points are not as abundant as they should be, or as easily obtained. I could finish out HoT if I spent some more time on adventures or collections, but that’s not really the point of this post. Just wanted to point out that because I’m not maxed in either zone, I can’t receive shards from levels.

Is there a reason we can’t go back to spending extra hero points on Spirit Shards? This could be a locked feature until you’ve maxed all of the spec lines, or Miyani could receive what would effectively be a buyback item that converts a Spirit Shard into a Hero Point, so you couldn’t accidentally spend more than you wanted and no longer be able to finish your skills out.

This is only a problem now that I’m interested in crafting a legendary. I spent all of my shards on philosopher’s stones for attempts at forging mystic clovers. However, I still need 200 for a Bloodstone Shard… and I’m sitting at like 13.

If you want to keep the acquisition method the same, why not adjust the current mastery system so that while you don’t have enough mastery points to spend in a zone , but you’ve maxed out the experience bars in all zones you’re able, you go back to leveling toward Spirit Shard? It doesn’t hurt anything or screw the economy in any way, but it doesn’t frustrate those of us who aren’t achievement hunters, haven’t been playing for four years straight, or didn’t get in early on the game and amass a sizable collection of the currency we need?

Its not really true, We had a very similar system. Before hero points and spirit shards existed there was only skill points. Skill points were acquired via skill challenges (now hero challenges) and leveling post 80. When the system was changed all skill challenge skill points were turned into Hero Points, all excess skill points were turned into spirit shards. So basically we had no advantage and the system is basically the same now. Our only real advantage is time. We’ve had years to acquire thousands of extra points by playing.

Khisanth.2948

Its not really true, We had a very similar system. Before hero points and spirit shards existed there was only skill points. Skill points were acquired via skill challenges (now hero challenges) and leveling post 80. When the system was changed all skill challenge skill points were turned into Hero Points, all excess skill points were turned into spirit shards. So basically we had no advantage and the system is basically the same now. Our only real advantage is time. We’ve had years to acquire thousands of extra points by playing.

There is an advantage actually. Old system didn’t require maxing out all masteries.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

There is an advantage actually. Old system didn’t require maxing out all masteries.

Something you can do in a week or two. I am pretty sure I was maxed out on masteries about 3 days after HoT launched, granted I grinded pretty hard so a week or two for more casual play makes some sense.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

you also get it as drops sometimes from trash mobs in fractals.

im bad at sarcasm

Khisanth.2948

you also get it as drops sometimes from trash mobs in fractals.

You get it as drop from everything on a lv80. Can’t remember if it requires a lv80 mob as well but I am pretty sure it was in the patch notes. Got too many to care about remembering.