'Split Stack' Option instead of ALT + Drag

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

Most earlier comments may be irrelevant.

Updated as of 3/10/2015: The title of this post has been changed from “Allow Item Charges to be Combined” to “Split Stack Option instead of ALT + Drag” because the idea of allowing players to stack charge-based items together (like Salvage Kits) did not sit well with anyone in the comments section.

My newest thoughts on how unstacking stacked items can be made easier:

EDIT: Even though unstacking stacked items has been explained in the comments section by holding ALT while dragging and dropping stacked items to an empty inventory slot, here are my newest thoughts on how this can be improved, because I never knew that…

I never knew unstacking items in the inventory was possible for reason being the function is not explained anywhere in the user interface. That is what my suggestion seeks to fix.

So to prevent confusion in new players, add a ‘Split Stack’ Option in the list after players do a Right-Click over a stacked item that will allow players to split stacked items into desired numbers while keeping the old way of doing it intact to prevent veteran players from flaming about not being able to unstack stacked items the old way.

As it stands now, the way players have to go about unstacking stacked items is clunky, poorly explained, and not user-friendly whatsoever.

Thank you for looking into this.
Eidolonemesis

Attachments:

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Press ALT while dragging the stack.

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

Im a little confused, GW2 already allows you to combine stacks up to 250 and once it hits that limit it starts a new stack. Im not really sure what youre saying here….sorry…

You can also destack already, just press (AND HOLD) alt and move the stack to another slot and it will ask you how many to put in the new slot (defaults to 1/2 of the original stack).

(edited by steveway.3167)

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Im a little confused, GW2 already allows you to combine stacks up to 250 and once it hits that limit it starts a new stack. Im not really sure what youre saying here….sorry…

You can also destack already, just press alt and move the stack to another slot and it will ask you how many to put in the new slot (defaults to 1/2 of the original stack).

This. All of the functionality you just talked about is already in the game.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Eidolonemesis.5640

You can also destack already, just press (AND HOLD) alt and move the stack to another slot and it will ask you how many to put in the new slot (defaults to 1/2 of the original stack).

Thank you for the head’s up, yet that does not seem to work for everything that is accumulative, for example, Salvage Kits, nor can you combine Salvage Kits with other Kits. That is just one example of what I am talking about, and who knows for what other kinds of stacked items the functions you just explained doesn’t work for.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Yes—everything should be allowed to stack.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Holding ALT may resolve the issue of ‘De-Stacking’ items (I didn’t know that), yet it does not resolve the issue of not being able to drag and drop stacked items over other stacked items. For example, if I have 10 uses of Basic Salvage Kits, and I want to drag and drop over another 10 uses of Basic Salvage Kits (20 total, at that point), I should be able to do so, yet I am not able to.

Instead what happens is if you try and drag and drop stacked items over other incomplete stacked items, you cannot do it.

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

Thank you for the head’s up, yet that does not seem to work for everything that is accumulative, for example, Salvage Kits, nor can you combine Salvage Kits with other Kits. That is just one example of what I am talking about, and who knows for what other kinds of stacked items the functions you just explained doesn’t work for.

Very true, some items cannot be combined into stacks. Im not sure why it was done this way though, seems a little odd to me also.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Very true, some items cannot be combined into stacks. Im not sure why it was done this way though, seems a little odd to me also.

Exactly, and that is why I think this should be addressed.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

What really bugs me is that you cannot add items to an existing stack in guild bank. You have to withdraw the stack, merge them in your inventory and then put them back into guild bank. Super annoying.

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Exactly, and that is why I think this should be addressed.

You also can’t sell/trade/give away salvage kits so it isn’t really an issue…

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Fermi.2409

What really bugs me is that you cannot add items to an existing stack in guild bank. You have to withdraw the stack, merge them in your inventory and then put them back into guild bank. Super annoying.

This has to do with how the guild bank works due to the fact that multiple people can access it at once iirc.

Posted by: ErickDntn.1847

ErickDntn.1847

I think for the salvage kit case it is purposely designed to be so. It worked similarly as like gear that you can’t stack with each other, regardless of the number of use on each stack. IMO it means to make player manage their inventories especially when it come to salvaging. Why? I don’t know exactly but probably why the infinite salvage kit comes, to provide more convenience to salvage items.

Eidolonemesis.5640

I think for the salvage kit case it is purposely designed to be so. It worked similarly as like gear that you can’t stack with each other, regardless of the number of use on each stack. IMO it means to make player manage their inventories especially when it come to salvaging. Why? I don’t know exactly but probably why the infinite salvage kit comes, to provide more convenience to salvage items.

Well, given what everyone has said here since I’ve been gone the passed hour or so, my point is managing inventory space and items is much easier in Path of Exile (as exampled) vs. Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 is a bit more stiff when it comes to the inventory and items vs. Path of Exile, and that is why I made this thread in the first place.

You also can’t sell/trade/give away salvage kits so it isn’t really an issue…

You really did miss the entire point on why what I am trying to bring to the developer’s attention is indeed an issue. Just because you cannot trade/give away certain stackable items doesn’t mean what I am bringing up here is not an issue when it comes to managing stacked items and inventory space.

THIS.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Holding ALT may resolve the issue of ‘De-Stacking’ items (I didn’t know that), yet it does not resolve the issue of not being able to drag and drop stacked items over other stacked items. For example, if I have 10 uses of Basic Salvage Kits, and I want to drag and drop over another 10 uses of Basic Salvage Kits (20 total, at that point), I should be able to do so, yet I am not able to.

Instead what happens is if you try and drag and drop stacked items over other incomplete stacked items, you cannot do it.

You can always drag and drop stackable items on top of other stackable items of the same kind. For example a stack of 80 orichalcum ore can be dragged and dropped on top of a stack of 170 orichalcum ore to form one new stack of 250 orichalcum ore.

Salvage kits are not stackable items. You don’t have a stack of 25 salvage kits, you have one salvage kit that can be used 25 times. Big difference.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

there are some rare case items that have same name but are actually different (different internal identifier) and cannot be stacked.

Your Fish Steaks are most likely one of those rare cases.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

Use alt to de-stack items.

The vast majority of consumables and materials in this game ARE stack-able. Salvage kits are an exception because they’re meant to be a single use item with charges. To avoid the problem of having two kits with 10 charges, just use one kit at a time until depleted.

Eidolonemesis.5640

there are some rare case items that have same name but are actually different (different internal identifier) and cannot be stacked.

Your Fish Steaks are most likely one of those rare cases.

Hah… That does seem to be the case. I had a ‘Blackened Fish Steak’ stack near a ‘Fish Steak Stack. However, just to be sure, I placed 7 ’Fish Steaks’ in my Bank, and then bought some more to put in my inventory, and when I combined the two I was able to stack on another.

Perhaps, then, the icon graphic for ‘Blackened Fish Steaks’ should be more blackened to properly reflect the name, that way there is no confusion, and also apply the same thing for other items that leads to these rare confusions.

Thank you for pointing that out. I definitely had to do a double-take on a few items in my inventory I couldn’t add together.

Salvage kits are not stackable items. You don’t have a stack of 25 salvage kits, you have one salvage kit that can be used 25 times. Big difference.

That makes sense, yet even so… Perhaps the developers can make it where, yes, Salvage Kits are treated as single items with charges (as you explained), yet when trying to drag one on top of another in such cases where a player may not always use the same Kit, you can still combine Salvage Kits together, and any other item with charges like this.

Therefore, instead of calling it ‘item stacking’ when it comes to Salvage Kits, it would instead be called ‘charge stacking’. That would be interesting to see if made possible.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Well, given what everyone has said here since I’ve been gone the passed hour or so, my point is managing inventory space and items is much easier in Path of Exile (as exampled) vs. Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 is a bit more stiff when it comes to the inventory and items vs. Path of Exile, and that is why I made this thread in the first place.

Path of Exile where items stack to 10. Where 4 flasks take up the space of a tower shield. Where multiple stash tabs get taken up by currency items. Where you can have the space but still not be able to pick things up anyway because nobody believes in rotating items around. Path of Exile does some things well but inventory is certainly not one of them.

LucosTheDutch.4819

That makes sense, yet even so… Perhaps the developers can make it where, yes, Salvage Kits are treated as single items with charges (as you explained), yet when trying to drag one on top of another in such cases where a player may not always use the same Kit, you can still combine Salvage Kits together, and any other item with charges like this.

Therefore, instead of calling it ‘item stacking’ when it comes to Salvage Kits, it would instead be called ‘charge stacking’. That would be interesting to see if made possible.

And again you’re asking for something that can already be done: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Salvage_Kit

Eidolonemesis.5640

And again you’re asking for something that can already be done: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Salvage_Kit

Nothing in that Wiki link states that charge-based items (like Salvage Kits) can be combined… Yes, charge-based items like Salvage Kits that are single items (not stacked items) can be placed over one another, yet the charges cannot be combined with one another, because if that were possible, it would make it where players could combine uneven Salvage Kit charges with other uneven Salvage Kit charges, and in some cases, even save inventory space because of such a feature.

P.S. After reading the feedback given here (thank you, everyone!) I changed my original thread and the title of the thread itself to reflect my new thoughts and suggestions.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Nothing in that Wiki link states that charge-based items (like with Salvage Kits) can be combined…

Yes it does. The Mystic Salvage kit is exactly that. You combine 3 salvage kits and 3 mystic stones in the mystic forge to create a Mystic Salvage Kit, which is basically a Master Salvage Kit but with 250 charges instead of 25.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Nothing in that Wiki link states that charge-based items (like with Salvage Kits) can be combined…

Yes it does. The Mystic Salvage kit is exactly that. You combine 3 salvage kits and 3 mystic stones in the mystic forge to create a Mystic Salvage Kit, which is basically a Master Salvage Kit but with 250 charges instead of 25.

You completely missed the point of my post… I am talking about any Salvage Kit that has x amount of charges used already. We are not talking about Salvage Kit upgrading here where the amount of charges become greater by using the Mystic Forge.

For example, a Basic Salvage Kit has 25 uses, so if I use 10, that brings it to 15 uses, and therefore, I think players should be able to combine Salvage Kit uses with other Salvage Kit uses, much like players can do with items that can stack that are not charge-based.

My thoughts and suggestions have nothing to do with what happens in the Mystic Forge because I am only talking about what happens in a character’s inventory.

LucosTheDutch.4819

You completely missed the point of my post… I am talking about any salvage kit that has x amount of kit charges used already. We are not talking about Salvage Kit upgrading here where the amount of charges become greater.

I did get your point. I just don’t see why you want this. The end result of creating a Mystic Salvage Kit is exactly what you want, but even better. throwing together 3 kits with a charge of 25 uses basically gives you a better kit with 250 charges. Why would anyone want what you’re asking for if you already have this what I just explained?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I can see how it would be nice to combine items as OP suggests, I’m not sure it can be done easily. The things that do stack are single item objects. The non stacking items are items that are already a stack within a single item. The only way the game might be able to make them stack is to convert them to single items without an interior stack, which may be too much work for the benefit gained. It might also mean you have to buy 25 of them to combine together to get one item with 25 uses.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Eidolonemesis.5640

You completely missed the point of my post… I am talking about any salvage kit that has x amount of kit charges used already. We are not talking about Salvage Kit upgrading here where the amount of charges become greater.

I did get your point. I just don’t see why you want this. The end result of creating a Mystic Salvage Kit is exactly what you want, but even better. throwing together 3 kits with a charge of 25 uses basically gives you a better kit with 250 charges. Why would anyone want what you’re asking for if you already have this what I just explained?

Because perhaps not everyone, especially new players, want to travel all the way to the Mystic Forge to carry out such a thing as you speak (something I already knew about). I think some (not all players) would want what I am talking about because what I am talking about, if implemented, would be possible to do at any time, and in some cases, save inventory space.

Furthermore, my newest criticism in my updated thread still stands regarding exactly why the feature of ‘unstacking’ items is poorly explained and what can be done to solve that problem. I would like to hear some thoughts on that, because if anything, that should really be addressed. Players shouldn’t have to hold the ALT Key down to unstack items from stacked items.

Fermi.2409

I don’t even see the point of allowing combining salvage kits. Why are you half using 2+ different kits instead of using one until it’s used up in the first place?

Because perhaps not everyone, especially new players, want to travel all the way to the Mystic Forge to carry out such a thing as you speak

Why would you not want to do it? It’s like 30 seconds of your time to save loads of trips to vendors later on.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Because perhaps not everyone, especially new players, want to travel all the way to the Mystic Forge to carry out such a thing as you speak (something I already knew about). I think some (not all players) would want what I am talking about because what I am talking about, if implemented, would be possible to do at any time, and in some cases, save inventory space.

Because taking the Asura Gate from your race’s capital to Lion’s Arch and walk to the Mystic Forge is such a hard, long, tedious and difficult talk for new players, right?

There are multiple reasons why what you’re asking for most likely will never happen:

1) We already have Mystic Salvage Kits.

2) We have the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic and the Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic. Both gemstore items which would become less desirable if what you ask for gets implemented, not something Anet wants probably.

3) Technical limitations and programming difficulties, probably the most likely reason why your request might never happen.

Why is it so difficult for you to just manage your Salvage Kits better, or simply create a Mystic Salvage Kit?

Eidolonemesis.5640

I don’t even see the point of allowing combining salvage kits. Why are you half using 2+ different kits instead of using one until it’s used up in the first place?

Because not everyone is ‘neat’ and ‘exact’ so as to always use the same Salvage Kit in which players like me tend to use whatever Salvage Kit is closest to the cursor upon opening the inventory, especially when players like me are salvaging items quite frequently and fast.

Because perhaps not everyone, especially new players, want to travel all the way to the Mystic Forge to carry out such a thing as you speak

Why would you not want to do it? It’s like 30 seconds of your time to save loads of trips to vendors later on.

You ask, “Why?” whereas I ask the better question which is, “Why not?” Even if you have a Salvage Kit with 250 uses, it would still be nice to combine Kits with other Kits (and other such charge-based items) regardless of the amount of uses/charges (call them what you want) granted to players.

Path of Exile where items stack to 10. Where 4 flasks take up the space of a tower shield. Where multiple stash tabs get taken up by currency items. Where you can have the space but still not be able to pick things up anyway because nobody believes in rotating items around. Path of Exile does some things well but inventory is certainly not one of them.

According to Path of Exile’s current game state, most stacked items stack to more than 10, and as far as inventory space goes, just because the developers of Guild Wars 2 decided on “Less inventory slots yet more stackability, with single items that do not take up as much space” does not mean players do not run out of space, and does not mean players do not feel the need to buy more inventory space at the cost of 400 Gems.

The developers of Path of Exile just decided on more inventory slots than is given in Guild Wars 2, yet less stackability and more inventory space taken. However, if you really break it down, it is the same difference with what the developers of Guild Wars 2 decided on, yet in reverse.

The point is you run out of inventory space equally as much in both games, forcing most players into wanting to buy more space.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Because not everyone is ‘neat’ and ‘exact’ so as to always use the same Salvage Kit in which players like me tend to use whatever Salvage Kit is closest to the cursor upon opening the inventory, especially when players like me are salvaging items quite frequently and fast.

Sounds like your problem is you, not the game or how it works.

Just get 1 Mystic Salvage Kit and/or buy the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic, that way you don’t need to carry around multiple salvage kits. Problem solved.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Sounds like your problem is you, not the game or how it works.

Just get 1 Mystic Salvage Kit and/or buy the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic, that way you don’t need to carry around multiple salvage kits. Problem solved.

Do you really think I am the only one who is like this? If so, you’re wrong, because I am looking at it in such a way where if I was one of the developers of the game, I consider all aspects and preferences much as possible. Does that mean what I talk about will be utilized by people like you? Absolutely not, yet that is besides the point.

P.S. Not everyone wants to consult the Gemstore to buy stuff with real-world-money, like Copper-Fed Salvage Kits, as you suggested. You’re not looking at what I am talking about from all aspects like I am, which is exactly my point.

You’re right, real-world money solves a lot of problems, yet not everyone’s got the money to spend like that, that or they just don’t prefer to.

But at the end of the day, I think most of us can agree here that a ‘Split Stack’ option should be added to the list when players do a Right-Click over a stacked item vs. using a behind-the-scenes ALT + ‘Drag-and-Drop stacked items to an empty inventory slot’ command not everyone knows about (especially new players) to split stacked items.

Fermi.2409

So instead of learning a small bit of inventory organization, you instead try to get things changed to suit your laziness better? Just put your salvage kits in the same place every time (the same as you would with armor/consumables/etc).

Eidolonemesis.5640

P.S. Not everyone wants to consult the Gemstore to buy stuff with real-world-money, like Copper-Fed Salvage Kits, as you suggested. You’re not looking at what I am talking about from all aspects like I am, which is exactly my point.

So use gold. It’s not that hard.

Eidolonemesis.5640

But at the end of the day, I think most of us can agree here that a ‘Split Stack’ option should be added to the list when players do a Right-Click over a stacked item vs. using a behind-the-scenes ALT + ‘Drag-and-Drop stacked items to an empty inventory slot’ command not everyone knows about (especially new players) to split stacked items.

Speak for yourself, I think it’s a wholly unnecessary change that’s really just a waste of development time/resources seeing how easy it is to just alt+drag. And, in general, that’s far from the vibe I got from reading the topic.

(edited by Fermi.2409)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Wait a minute this thread was about item spliting all i read is i want to be able to combine two of my salvage kits i accidently used some of each.

Answer to that is NO you shouldent be able to split or combine your salvage kits, forge mystic forge kits 250 uses or buy copperfed savlageomatic if you want convenience that what they are there for.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Do you really think I am the only one who is like this? If so, you’re wrong, because I am looking at it in such a way where if I was one of the developers of the game, I consider all aspects and preferences much as possible. Does that mean what I talk about will be utilized by people like you? Absolutely not, yet that is besides the point.

Are you really looking at this from all aspects though? One aspect I see is that you want developers to waste time and money on a mostly meaningless feature because you and a bunch of other people are lazy and/or suck at inventory management. That’s one aspect you seem to have overlooked, which seems to be the most important aspect.

Not everyone wants to consult the Gemstore to buy stuff with real-world-money, like Copper-Fed Salvage Kits, as you suggested. You’re not looking at what I am talking about from all aspects like I am, which is exactly my point.

You’re right, real-world money solves a lot of problems, yet not everyone’s got the money to spend like that, that or they just don’t prefer to.

So? You don’t need to spend a single penny. You didn’t even think of the option to convert gold to gems? Seems you’re doing a pretty poor job at that “looking from all aspects” mate.

(edited by LucosTheDutch.4819)

Eidolonemesis.5640

Are you really looking at this from all aspects though? One aspect I see is that you want developers to waste time and money on a mostly meaningless feature because you and a bunch of other people are lazy and/or suck at inventory management. That’s one aspect you seem to have overlooked, which seems to be the most important aspect.

Pardon my late reply.

I knew someone sooner or later would play the ‘laziness’ card. There was a time where online games (like Morrowind) did not come with in-game maps or quest markers to tell players where to go, so let’s not go there with the ‘laziness’ argument because we are all guilty for being lazy in some way, shape or form by utilizing such features in today’s games that were not prevalent in online games of the past.

Not everyone wants to consult the Gemstore to buy stuff with real-world-money, like Copper-Fed Salvage Kits, as you suggested. You’re not looking at what I am talking about from all aspects like I am, which is exactly my point.

So? You don’t need to spend a single penny. You didn’t even think of the option to convert gold to gems? Seems you’re doing a pretty poor job at that “looking from all aspects” mate.

The ‘Gold for Gems’ conversion system is a wonky one because you’re getting less Gems for your Gold. For example, if you type in 1 Gold, that can be converted into 11 Gems, yet type in 2 Gold and you’re only going to get 20 Gems instead of 22 Gems. Therefore, players should technically get 2,750 Gems for 250 Gold if you follow the mathematical pattern of 1 Gold = 11 Gems. That is why the Gold for Gems conversion system (to me) is a rip-off.

So again, yes, I do look at all things from all aspects.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Speak for yourself, I think it’s a wholly unnecessary change that’s really just a waste of development time/resources seeing how easy it is to just alt+drag. And, in general, that’s far from the vibe I got from reading the topic.

You and most everyone else may have a point when it comes to the first half of my updated thread when it comes to not letting players stack/combine charge-based items like Salvage Kits.

However, there is absolutely NO reason why Anet cannot add a ‘Split Stack’ option in the list when players do a Right-Click over stacked items to unstack them. Having to hold ALT + doing a Drag-and-Drop to an empty inventory slot is not at all a user-friendly feature, and it also takes more time vs. what I suggest regarding unstacking items.

Wait a minute this thread was about item spliting all i read is i want to be able to combine two of my salvage kits i accidently used some of each.

Answer to that is NO you shouldn’t be able to split or combine your salvage kits, forge mystic forge kits 250 uses or buy copperfed savlageomatic if you want convenience that what they are there for.

Wrong. This thread (recently changed before your reply) was originally about letting players drag-and-drop stacked items over other stacked items. I have since figured that one out thanks to earlier comments made in this thread.

Now this thread is about letting players split items by doing a Right-Click over a stacked item vs. holding ALT + dragging and dropping an item to an empty inventory slot because that’s not user-friendly whatsoever.

/////////////////////////////////////

In addition to that, as suggested, this thread is also about letting players combine charge-based items with other charge-based items, like Salvage Kits, for players who tend to not always use the same Salvage Kit.

However, the above suggestion seems to not be sitting well with most players here in the comments (which is fine), and that is why I am no longer emphasizing on that suggestion anymore and instead focusing on my other suggestion for Anet to include a ‘Split Stack’ option for players who do a Right-Click over stacked items.

Posted by: Nazzar Demoniac.2154

Nazzar Demoniac.2154

I’m all in the favor of an option for splitting stacks on right click or at least the ability to change the key used for splitting in control options.
Why? Simply because some people have a really hard time doing the alt drag system because of driver/application conflicts making the use of alt a real pain. I can play, chat do anything else without alt but not splitting a stack? GG. Even making an @ i can do with the key altgr and unfortunately i can’t use that to split a stack since it acts as a shortcut ctrl+alt. The only other solution i have is to uninstall the ATI driver for my graphics card and then gg can’t play guild wars or any game…
If only i could set that kitten key from alt to altgr it would be such a relief.

So yes, please do make an option for that. I would be so greatful for it.

Tarnished Coast [TC]. Started on Yak’s Bend.
[CERN] European time zone Support Commander.
FortheToast!

(edited by Nazzar Demoniac.2154)

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

buy yellow green and blue salvage kit mystic forge stone into mystic forge and get a 250 mystic salvage kit. solution is there you just have to look harder. it is this way otherwise they would NEVER sell extra bank tab slot or inventory slots. also stop using 12 slot bags. make some 20 slot bags instead. geez.