Staff: Why so unfair?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I was playing with my ele, then I cast Lightning Hammer because a guy wanted to see how it looks on him so he could go after Mjolnir and then… I realized one thing.
We have Twilight and Sunrise for greatswords, we have Kudzu and The Dreamer for bows, we have Quip for pistols… all of them have both pink AND blue effect “mists” version, and staff got none.

I would love to see a mists staff, or better, a Lightning Staff with the same effect as Mjolnir… it frustrates me because of the lack of actually beautiful staves, many elementalists wander around proud of carrying the title of “elemental mage” bearing a staff and yet, most of them are so UGLY, there are only a few very cool but suited mostly for necromancers.

So what do the community think? Am I the only elementalist feeling this way? =|

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

I agree with u m8, most staffs are ugly and copy paste, even the legendary it doesn’t feel so legendary.

I would love to see some more epic staffs as long as i would like to see some awesome looking daggers.
Right now there is none.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I REALLY like Melandru’s Gaze (I think that’s what it’s called) and tbh The Bifrost is the second coolest legendary in the game, Quipp being the coolest.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Have you checked out Dulfy’s staff gallery?
It doesn’t show alot of the effects, but there are some very nice staves there.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/13/gw2-staff-skin-gallery/

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Do any of the Mesmer clones have a Staff?

Because if so, there should be one (since that’s what the weapons are based off, and that’s why there isn’t a Foefire staff).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

Because if so, there should be one (since that’s what the weapons are based off, and that’s why there isn’t a Foefire staff).

Strangely, the staff phantasm uses a secpter.
Sorry for my noob knowledge

(edited by nelopp.6140)

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Strangely, the staff phantasm uses a secpter.
Hope they will take a look because it is the only phantasm using a different weapon from the weapon skill

Torch Phantasm has no weapon and Focus Phantasm has duel axes.

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

The mists versions (and mjolnir) are all based on skills/environmental weapons. There isn’t a staff version.

Beautiful and ugly is your opinion. Whether others share the same thinking or not, it is a subjective topic.

I’m all up for more skins, but no real reason to put the one you don’t like down.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

One of the best looking weapons in the game is Final Rest. Unfortunately no one knows how to get the darn thing.

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

When in doubt go ebonhawk…

Pretty much all ebonhawk weapons look kitten except for the hammer(which could be personally preference)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

While there are some cool staffs I would personally kill to have a “mists” staff for my Mesmer- I don’t care that there is no phantasm with a staff.

Final Rest is awesome and I am looking as hard as anyone for it but it is not really Mesmery.

More variety in weapons would be great, I am also feeling the lack in nice pistols and while Moonshank is beautiful, daggers really need some love too.
So !yeah! for more skins

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Personally i really like the look of the staff from ac thats my fav staff so far and im quiet happy to gear all my caster caracters with those

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

While there are some cool staffs I would personally kill to have a “mists” staff for my Mesmer- I don’t care that there is no phantasm with a staff.

Well I’m sure there are many more people who don’t care for X theme and want a Y weapon/armor concept. We can only hope.

Morrigan.2809

Well I’m sure there are many more people who don’t care for X theme and want a Y weapon/armor concept. We can only hope.

Oh I understand the theme and I’m all for set themes because they add cohesion.
It is just that a staff is such a Mesmer weapon and come on a glowy purple staff?
What more could any Mesmer want?
I have a skritt moment whenever I think of it.

I currently have Imryldeen and I love it

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Thinking about it, I believe I like more staves than any other style of weapon, with the possible exception of Greatsword. Even then, I’m not a fan of the overly wide GS models (al la Vigil, Pact).

And if you want a purple glowy staff, there’s always the Nightmare Staff or the Peacemaker Staff.

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

They need to create a staff with an elemental orb perched on top that changes to whatever atunement the elementalist is attuned to. If Mesmer then purple orb, if guardian a foefire-like orb, if necro a skull.

Morrigan.2809

They need to create a staff with an elemental orb perched on top that changes to whatever atunement the elementalist is attuned to. If Mesmer then purple orb, if guardian a foefire-like orb, if necro a skull.

He-he make that a smaller one at the bottom too and I’m sold- heck, I’m sold anyway

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

I was about to report this topic for calling out “Staff” in the title, lol.

Yeah staffs are pretty ugly. most are wooden brown with teeth and rib bones sticking out of it. Staff-using classes are some of the most colourful ones, so the weapons should look appropriate.

And there is so much potential to model a creative staff. Unlike swords which need to be long, straight, thin, and bladed, staffs can be pretty much anything. Since we can’t dye weapons there should be different colours and varying styles/effects on them. The non-rare crafted staffs from 0-80 are all that same ugly stick with a pale yellow crystal on top. Boring!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Peacemakers, i use those nearly 100%

Posted by: Nijjion.2069

Nijjion.2069

Yeah you can tell the people deciding what legendary’s are that they liked GS more than any other weapon.

Bifrost doesn’t seem like a legendary to me it’s pretty bad looking IMO.

Morrigan.2809

Peacemakers, i use those nearly 100%

That is nice but like the Nightmare staff it is a bit ornate for me at least for my characters.

I like more classic looking weapons on them but with a slight particle effect if any.
I love the plain old Krytan Staff for instance and I use it on my Ele- the tiny light looks like a little lantern to me

I used the Glyphic Staff for ages on my Human Mesmer before I got Imryldeen.

I would love more variety in style on all the weapons actually, different themes are always nice

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I like staffs the way the are, I just wish there were more skins to choose from. I currently use the Pact Quarterstaff.

One thing I dislike, though, is when my Mesmer uses a staff, she just holds it in her right hand, while she only uses her left to cast spells. It makes it seem like the skills aren’t coming from the staff, which is a bit disappointing. When I use a scepter on my Mesmer, the whole scepter glows when a skill is activated. So it would be nice if more skill effects were added to the staff itself.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Valento.9852

People, it’s about plain comparison c’mon… look at other weapons, there are just a few staves that have decent particle effects and it wouldn’t be so hard to add a mists version of staff. For now I can only remember a few nice ones: Corrupted Branch, Ghastly Staff from AC (only at night), and Bifrost, I’m not counting particle effects that don’t pop out of the staff (like Destroyer or Molten ones).

PS.: Wow I forgot ‘staff’ may refer to something else in English. o_o

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

Did you see the glyphic staff skin? Its very lightning-y.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I’d agree that the weapons are a pretty big let down. But they’re also some of the most useless weapons in the game. Guardians only use them briefly. Necros only to drop wells and swap. Eles because they’re on a wall. Mesmer seems to be the only class that uses them for a large part of the time. Clearly their looks reflect their viability as a weapon choice in this game.

Posted by: psybako.1903

psybako.1903

My ele has a staff with an animal head just sort of spiked on top. It’s better than the standard knobby stick, but not by much :/

Posted by: Pyrotechnic Hell.3209

Pyrotechnic Hell.3209

Updated Torment Staff please

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

The base staff skins aren’t bad.

My opinion is that staves need the same particle effect and aura effects that the rest of the weapon types receive. Why do we have so many attractive particle effects on other types of weapons and such mediocre ones on staves? It makes no sense. The best example I can think of is comparing the Corrupted Branch to other Corrupted weapons. The staff’s particle effect is hardly visible unless you zoom in and look for it.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Arenanet clearly does not like staff.

There are like 4+ of each Mystic Forge recipes for gs, sword, axe, scepter, focus, etc. There is only 2 staff MF recipes(Melandru’s ugly eye and The Crossing-‘just for necro’ staff). Heck, there are even 2 “of the mist” spears, but not a single staff or rifle of the mist.

We could use a few neon bars as staff.

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Thought this thread was going to be about Guardians spamming #1 through gates in WvWvW.

Heh. Heh. Heh.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Valento.9852

The base staff skins aren’t bad.

My opinion is that staves need the same particle effect and aura effects that the rest of the weapon types receive. Why do we have so many attractive particle effects on other types of weapons and such mediocre ones on staves? It makes no sense. The best example I can think of is comparing the Corrupted Branch to other Corrupted weapons. The staff’s particle effect is hardly visible unless you zoom in and look for it.

Yeah that’s what I’m saying, staffs do need some care since the game is about hunting skins… =<

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Elsa.3091

Elsa.3091

Not a big fan of staff skins in the game. There are a few that I look at and say…maybe. I think we have a good variety of simple staffs skins, now we need some complex. Like this: http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=385371.
We have yet to see ascended weapons. I hope that when they do come out, the staffs will look a bit more complex and will feel powerful. How about this? http://bestgamewallpapers.com/lineage-2-chronicle-5/the-oath There are lots of options out there. We already have simple staff, lets see some staffs with more complex skin.

Valento.9852

Not a big fan of staff skins in the game. There are a few that I look at and say…maybe. I think we have a good variety of simple staffs skins, now we need some complex. Like this: http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=385371.
We have yet to see ascended weapons. I hope that when they do come out, the staffs will look a bit more complex and will feel powerful. How about this? http://bestgamewallpapers.com/lineage-2-chronicle-5/the-oath There are lots of options out there. We already have simple staff, lets see some staffs with more complex skin.

I liked the last one better, but both look awesome, c’mon ANet bring us some powerful staffs! :P

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

is it possible that other skins haven’t been discovered yet? recipes or mystic toilet wise. i dunno. not only for staff but for other weapons as well..

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

is it possible that other skins haven’t been discovered yet? recipes or mystic toilet wise. i dunno. not only for staff but for other weapons as well..

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Not by a mile.

Consider the millions of people playing this on a daily basis. By probabilities alone people end up stumbling into even the most obscure kitten. Nobody knows how to get Final Rest, but yet some people have stumbled into it. Not to mention people looking into game files and discovering items that weren’t even officially added to the game.

Honestly, I think the design team had a clear bias towards greatswords… You can’t blame them too much though. When you think of great or inspiring weapon designs in our own fiction the crushing majority seem to lean towards swords. King Arthur did not brandish his mighty hammer, Aragorn didn’t cut down orks with his axe, Bilbo didn’t have a glowing scepter, He-man and Conan were not known for their mighty maces… Which is not to say there are no heroes who use other weapons, but rarely is there an iconic weapon design that does not belong to a sword. It seems that humans just have a cultural bias towards swords.

There’s just less of inspirational pool to “draw” from.

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

…and tbh The Bifrost is the second coolest legendary in the game, Quipp being the coolest.

Are you kidding me? This guy must play on low graphics or clearly hasn’t seen The Juggernaut in motion…

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”