Standard Models for PVE - Please !

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Hi All,

Okay this request is simple – allow standard models to be available in PVE as a option.

I know this may seem like why on earth do this?
1) Jumping Puzzles – eg wintersday : I don’t want my entire view to be filled up by some giant charr with wings. If everyone was a tiny asuran my life would be much easier. This would also help in the uncategorised fractal which is mainly a JP.
2) dungeons/fractals – ever missed a boss tell due to some big boned norn filling your screen with those big black wings?
3) Raids – Hugh characters again make it hard to see everything which is going on – it’s pretty easy to miss the vale guardians stabby skill with some big characters in your way.

Anyways – let me know what you think.
PS- Asuran master race rulez.

Thanks

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m with you, but do you hear that sound?

That’s the sound of big character players with wings coming in to tell you to “deal with it.”

They’re almost here…

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

(edited by Endless Soul.5178)

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Are you playing zoomed all the way in or something?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If you play a small Asuran it doesn’t take much for a Charr or Norn to block most of your view in front.

TPMN.1483

Exactly I feel so tiny when surrounded by Giants… Now if only they could take the ’drink me ’ potion

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Nah, I spent good gold and time on my characters look. You WILL see me in all my glory. Or you can just set it to low character model mode… but w/e

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

is OP talking about the graphic culling setting ? if you want the standard model just set them to lowest/lowest , somewhere down the bottom of graphic setting…. you’ll see other player characters as standard placeholder.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

You know how in the Mad Kings Clocktower JP, all other players get turned into a blue orb so you can only see your character? Yeah, they should find a way to do that in all JP zones.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I keep hearing these chipmunk voices behind me complaining about something or other but whenever I turn around there doesn’t seem to be anyone there.

What my toon REALLY needs is a huge golf umbrella skin for his staff. And maybe a 6 foot diameter sombrero.

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

I’m pretty sure Anet released standard models in PvE/WvW before they did in PvP. Just drop character model quality to lowest in your options.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Asurans are ugly and should be banned from GW2.

I’ve never have a problem with wings and whatnot, so I can’t relate.

Whether you make a JP or not depends on your skill, not charr with wings lol.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Hi All,

Okay this request is simple – allow standard models to be available in PVE as a option.

I know this may seem like why on earth do this?
1) Jumping Puzzles – eg wintersday : I don’t want my entire view to be filled up by some giant charr with wings. If everyone was a tiny asuran my life would be much easier. This would also help in the uncategorised fractal which is mainly a JP.
2) dungeons/fractals – ever missed a boss tell due to some big boned norn filling your screen with those big black wings?
3) Raids – Hugh characters again make it hard to see everything which is going on – it’s pretty easy to miss the vale guardians stabby skill with some big characters in your way.

Anyways – let me know what you think.
PS- Asuran master race rulez.

Thanks

1. Start the Guild Wars 2 Application (GW2.exe).
  2. Log into your account.
  3. Press “Play”.
  4. Press “F11” or Navigate to the button that states “Options”.
  5. Once in the Options menu, navigate to the “Graphics Tab”.
  6. Under the “Advanced Settings” section, you will find the “Character Model Quality” setting.
  7. Select the drop down menu and select “Low or Lowest”.

Alternatively, you can change the setting by doing the following:

1. Log into the Guild Wars 2 Application.
  2. Press “Play”
  3. Select the Character of your choice.
  4. Once you are logged in and in the game, follow Instruction “4” from the first procedure I provided.
  5. Enjoy the standard character model in Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Antara.3189)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you play a small Asuran it doesn’t take much for a Charr or Norn to block most of your view in front.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed. But then I normally play with the camera zoomed all the way out, and the field of view set to just over 1/2.

Here’s a screenshot I just took on my minimum height asura, with my normal camera settings & position, and a charr with black wings standing right in front of me.

Admittedly they’re partially obscuring the view of one of the bank NPCs, but that can be solved by turning the camera slightly to either side. They’re certainly not blocking most of my view.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

The biggest issue here is when a large character model obscures of enemy, or raid commander, not your own character.

I found it could pose an issue for mossman & gouge, or any boss that isnt gigantic. The visibility is vital for timing aegis any active defences, rather than just spamming buttons while sitting in an exploit (safe) spot.

Vale guardian’s melee attack can be obscured, making it that much harder to avoid.
Even the blue teleport, often I can ONLY see the vertical blue part of the tell, and not the actual ground aoe.
Especially if you get 2-3 of those huge kitten wing backpacks.

Using Sabetha’s flamewall mechanics for an example, sometimes you want to stack on a particular side of her, to limit where the flamewall starts to make things easier for those going for cannons.
However it can be difficult to locate the commander tag, amongst all the character models.

I wonder, how many players haven’t seen a problem, simply don’t see it because they don’t watch for skill telegraphs?

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

The biggest issue here is when a large character model obscures of enemy, or raid commander, not your own character.

I found it could pose an issue for mossman & gouge, or any boss that isnt gigantic. The visibility is vital for timing aegis any active defences, rather than just spamming buttons while sitting in an exploit (safe) spot.

Vale guardian’s melee attack can be obscured, making it that much harder to avoid.
Even the blue teleport, often I can ONLY see the vertical blue part of the tell, and not the actual ground aoe.
Especially if you get 2-3 of those huge kitten wing backpacks.

Using Sabetha’s flamewall mechanics for an example, sometimes you want to stack on a particular side of her, to limit where the flamewall starts to make things easier for those going for cannons.
However it can be difficult to locate the commander tag, amongst all the character models.

I wonder, how many players haven’t seen a problem, simply don’t see it because they don’t watch for skill telegraphs?

No, we don’t see a problem because WE DO look for the telegraphs.

Seera.5916

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed. But then I normally play with the camera zoomed all the way out, and the field of view set to just over 1/2.

Here’s a screenshot I just took on my minimum height asura, with my normal camera settings & position, and a charr with black wings standing right in front of me.

Admittedly they’re partially obscuring the view of one of the bank NPCs, but that can be solved by turning the camera slightly to either side. They’re certainly not blocking most of my view.

Problem isn’t when it happens in a wide open room. The problem occurs when the camera is forced to be right on top of your character, which happens most often during jumping puzzles where seeing ahead of you is more important than in other areas of the game. And sometimes moving the camera doesn’t help that much in those cases.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

can’t you just wait for that charr to move or something? anyway people have already told you how to select standard models anyway

Seera.5916

can’t you just wait for that charr to move or something? anyway people have already told you how to select standard models anyway

It doesn’t bother me to wait for a minute for the Charr or Norn to move, but it obviously bothered someone else enough to post this thread.

I was just answering the question of “Why is it a problem?”.

TPMN.1483

The method of suggesting how to get standard models for allies does not work – it only works > N players in open world.

Besides I do not want the boss in a raid to look crappy – just my allies to be standard asuran small models so I can see better what the hell is going on.

Moving camera angles does not work on fast moving situations.