State of Each Class

State of Each Class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SirLeJosh.7263

SirLeJosh.7263

Hi all,

About to return after not playing since May2015.
I understand HoT is out now, and much of the class balance has therefore likely shifted from what I once knew, especially with the new class specializations that were released.

Basically, I don’t mind hopping characters a little, but I’m the kind of person who likes to stick with one main at a time for all the aspects I enjoy in the game. Currently I have a lv 80 Guardian/Mesmer/Ranger/Necro and a Theif (who I loved but found underwhelming at times)

I’m hoping to get some insight on where these (and the other) classes sit in each of the categories I’m interested in. I understand each class can be effective in all games modes, but I also like to be as effective and sought after in groups as I can be.

Any insight on how the current classes fit balance-wise or “state”-wise in the following categories I enjoy would be much appreciated.

PvE (Solo story missions/farming etc.)
FotM (I was lv.50)
Dungeons (Doesn’t matter so much anymore as I’ve heard there are nerfs to rewards?)
sPvP

Not really interested in WvW at all.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated just to give me an idea on how the state of each class in these categories may have changed since I last played, especially with the new classes.

Thanks in advance!

State of Each Class

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Im to lazy to explain. If you take a look at all the patch notes, and all traits of every proffesion, and proffesion forums, then you will get a bright image of whats going on atm

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

State of Each Class

SirLeJosh.7263

Thanks. Helpful.

State of Each Class

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Apart from sPvP, why don’t you just play what you enjoy?!
I have one class, Engineer, and do not even think a second of looking how others perform and/or what they are about. Because I am 150% fine with my profession. I do not want to be harsh, but go into the action and play. If you enjoy what you are doing, you are doing it right, no matter what people on the forums will tell you with their mostly highly biased and subjective opinions and theorycrafting.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

State of Each Class

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

Thanks. Helpful.

Seriously?

State of Each Class

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

Right now every class is kind of struggling. The problem has to do with that they can’t perform to efficiency because they’re being run through a powerful but inefficient computer attached to a primate. These primates may or may not be keeping up with their hygiene and general health, preventing most classes from performing to standard in PvP.

Future patches are likely to either eliminate the primates or give the game more control over them. Next expansion will likely come on a flesh-based USB that you can fit inside their ears which will optimize performance while whispering soothing silent sounds of the abyss to their primitive amygdala.

State of Each Class

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

All my opinions and may be misinformed due to lack of knowledge on several professions:

Warrior -In PvE, it’s in a pretty great spot. What’s not so great, is that the Elite spec didn’t really alter how you play Warrior unless you’re using conditions to cheese big hitboxes. It just made the old PS Warrior even better. For me, it feels like many other classes got exciting new toys while we just got to be slightly better at what we already did. This lack of viable new options is what caused me to change my main to Revenant.
-For general open world PvE and story missions, Warrior is still one of if not the easiest class to do content solo. Just keep in mind that the new content is harder so you’ll probably die a bit at first if you’re just running glass cannon.
-For Fractals, PS Warrior is still a great addition to the party. Not sure about the new higher levels because I’ve simply gotten bored, but from what I’ve heard, level 100 is not even that much harder than the old level 50 while the current level 50 is a piece of cake.
-Raids are basically the same as with fractals for Warriors but you have the added benefit of going condi to cheese large hitboxes with your longbow primal burst.
-In PvP Warrior is hands down the worst class in the game. I don’t really think it’s even close. Compared to other classes, our damage mitigation is pathetically low. We do have some high damaging skills, but they’re all extremely highly telegraphed. Even if we do manage to land some hits, the tanky meta means that we’re probably not going to get a kill anyway.

Revenant -In PvE, Revenant is in a great spot. It provides great support through boons, does extremely high damage, and has excellent breakbar damage. It also has excellent mobility, decent damage mitigation, and, if timed right, great healing.
-For raids, you’re going to be primarily there to deal huge amounts of damage and break break bars quickly. Same goes for Fractals.
-For solo content and general open world PvE, Revenant does very well since you can usually kill stuff before it has a chance to do much to you. You also have a fairly strong (and in my opinion, one of the best designed) ranged weapon with the hammer. Perma swiftness for getting around the map quickly while also having some low cd teleports makes Rev one of the best classes for open world.
-In PvP, Revenant is in a great spot with having a very strong condi build, and reasonably strong other options. Revenant has access to a ton of damage mitigation allowing you to survive on a low life total while dishing out a constant stream of condis.

Mesmer -It’s tough to say where Mesmer will be after the upcoming nerf to alacrity, but I believe they’ll still be considered an essential part of a raid composition. Their ability to grant tons of quickness and alacrity while also tanking makes them probably the best supportive class in the game.
-In fractals, I imagine the roll is still to provide reflects, quickness, and now alacrity. Still in a great spot.
-Open world and story stuff has always been kind of annoying for Mesmer since you’re generally slower and don’t have very high damage compared to other professions. Chronomancer definitely helps with a lot of these issues, so it’s not as noticeable as it once was.
-In PvP, Mesmer has had the unfortunate privilege of being the least used class. This means that people tend to whine about it a lot more and Anet tends to listen. Condi is no longer viable at all, shatter is not nearly as good as other builds, and that leave the Mesmer players with quite possibly the most annoying build in quite some time. The Bunker Chrono. Do you like having teamfights take an eternity? Do you like being able to just sit on a point and have your enemies simply walk away because the time to fight you is not even remotely worth it? If you answered yes, you’ll love Bunker Chrono! Admittedly, it’s not nearly as bad as when you could make your entire team invulnerable on top of a point while still capturing it.

Here’s where my knowledge of other professions tends to plummet:

Elementalist -In PvE, they’re in a pretty solid spot, but they’re less important in raids compared to other professions due to bosses moving out of their AOEs. They can perform reasonably well as tanks, healers, and damage dealers. Also, Ice Bow isn’t as ludicrous as it once was.
-In PvP, they’re still quite strong. Lots of damage, lots of sustain, and diamond skin is one of the most annoying traits in existence (though, it’s being changed).

Guardian -In PvE, Dragon Hunter is pretty strong. It can be used fairly well as either a tank, or a ranged damage dealer. Not as good at these things as other professions, but still in a fine spot.
-In PvP, they’re also in a good spot. While maybe not as strong as some of the best professions, they absolutely destroy bad players. They have tons of CC and traps that punish mistakes. High damage, and good point control.

Necromancer -In PvE, the Reaper has brought Necro back into a good place. They can deal high damage as either a condi or power build, and are still perhaps the best solo class in the game. Their damage isn’t as high as other classes, so they’re not usually people’s go to options for raiding, but they’re still good enough that that shouldn’t matter.
-In PvP, Reaper is capable of dealing a lot of AOE damage. They take a long time to kill, and if you can’t deal with condis, they’ll annihilate you with a bomb of them.

Ranger -In PvE, Druid is the go to healer for raiding. That’s about all I know…
-In PvP, Druid is good at fighting over points since they can heal a lot while still dealing decent damage.

Engineer -For PvE, unless you’re abusing giant hitboxes with Berserker, Engie is hands down the best condi class. They’re probably the hardest class to play.
-In PvP, Scrapper is in an excellent spot. Huge amounts of defensive capabilities, a good amount of utility (they have stealth now), and great damage to boot all combine to make them one of the strongest classes in the game.

Thief -In PvE, Thief just isn’t the damage king that it once was. There are very few things that they do better than other classes, and those things can be done well enough by others that Thief just isn’t as essential as it once was. They’re by no means a bad class since they can still be used in raiding and achieve success, they’re just comparatively “meh” right now.
-In PvP, Thief is in a similar spot to how they’ve been for quite a while. You don’t get in fights, because if your of equal skill to your opponent, you’re probably going to lose. Instead, you use your superior mobility to run around getting decaps and taking advantageous plus ones. Despite having their uses, Thief is probably second to Warrior in worst in PvP (though, I’d still say it’s light years ahead of Warrior).

Hope that helped and I hope you enjoy your return to the game!

State of Each Class

SirLeJosh.7263

RedDeadFred, Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

State of Each Class

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Not happy that one of my mesmer’s elite skills is rendered unusable by another class’s utility. Can a mesmer make any other class’s elite unusable?

State of Each Class

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Not happy that one of my mesmer’s elite skills is rendered unusable by another class’s utility. Can a mesmer make any other class’s elite unusable?

When a Mesmer turns us into a moa our whole class is unusable.

State of Each Class

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Next expansion will likely come on a flesh-based USB that you can fit inside their ears which will optimize performance while whispering soothing silent sounds of the abyss to their primitive amygdala.

IDK what Padme Amidala has to do with GW2, but rock on, bro!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

State of Each Class

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

When a Mesmer turns us into a moa our whole class is unusable.

Yes, but you have moa skills (or tuna under water) which when you get used to them you can still kill another player. Done it in both PvP and WvW. The question is still unanswered.