State of the Game Update —Q1 2016

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Take a look at the first of our quarterly State of the Game Updates here.

As always, your thoughts are welcome!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

WvW big overhaul later this year will be too late…:(

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Snarftastic.6709

Snarftastic.6709

Great stuff coming and… GLIDING!!!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

New fractals… just not anytime soon.

And dungeons deader than ever.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

WvW fixes 4 years after the fact…. talk about too little and WAY too late.

How about you at least restore what we had before HoT until your supposed revamp comes on line (sometime this century we hope)? The current state of WvW is embarrassing because of HoT’s massive failure and incompetent design decisions.

Do something now to stop the hemorrhaging, even if it is only temporary.

(edited by Grim West.3194)

Nike.2631

Did I read that right…? Not a single word about more second wave Legendaries?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I guess it will be another year before we see the next group of legendary weapons

Gliding in tyria will be fun. Excited for the next raid wing too. Don’t really care about WvW or PvP, but it looks like they are getting a bunch of stuff which i’m sure is exciting for them.

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

Quite disappointed to see there wont even be some new stories/lore in the near future (I mean who knows when LS 3 happens since its on long term), while it is a point on which HoT disappointed hard. Not so much on the quality, but quantity wise HOT lacked a lot on story telling, many missed opportunities (hello specializations), hell the lack of story is even a running gag in the story that does exist (Where you get that rytlock). I mean a full blown expansion is worth half a living world season of story, doesn’t that seem a bit short? Also having to gate that little amount of lore there is behind grinding for masteries so it takes longer is not really fun either for people who really want to enjoy the storytelling.

Also nothing about new leggies is kind of disappointing, that was a selling point of HoT, or so it seemed, it would be nice of they are released before the next xpac.

(edited by smitske.4912)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Looks like they forgot to add that they’re working on Canttha and Elona.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Gliding! Shatterer gets the Tequatl treatment! Fractal level resets in the lobby! Support gets event credit (if tagging targets a wee bit)! Squad and camera improvements! Squee! Lunar New Year, yay, I actually enjoy Dragon Ball and I’m interested in the “new rewards,” so long as they don’t involve eating 10,000 spring rolls.

Brew of the month looks low key fun and almost exactly like the WoW version.

As to the longer term stuff, I am eager to see the new fractals. For the new raid wing … sadly I have yet to even beat Vale Guardian, never having been in a full 10 man raid. I think I may never get to see all the raid stuff. But it’s awesome that those who are doing the raids get more of them. And hopefully the WvW changes will please those who WvW.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Very interesting QoL changes, but a bit light on content (except for shatterer revamp). I hope April’s seasonal update brings more content.

One question:

Now that gliding is available everywhere, will we be able to unlock it with experience obtained in Pact Tyria?

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

New Shatterer fight! Very excited now!!!

Just in time for my holiday

Nike.2631

I’m looking forward to the return of Chinese New Year’s celebration.

I’m dreading some new stupid omega-grind where we have to eat 25,000 barbeque pork buns in 2 weeks to get a new ‘fireworks effects’ shoulders…

Posted by: sdluca.4706

sdluca.4706

too little and too late for WvW

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

In the future, I would like to see more lore/ story driven content that is not only season 3. Specialization quests, please! With lore, story and spec-themed gear!

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I’m looking forward to the return of Chinese New Year’s celebration.

I’m dreading some new stupid omega-grind where we have to eat 25,000 barbeque pork buns in 2 weeks to get a new ‘fireworks effects’ shoulders…

I’m pretty concerned that there may be something just like this for this event as well.
Will be quite disappointed if there is.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Reinate.7594

Reinate.7594

Happy to see the Shatterer getting a much needed update to put him on par with Tequila.
excited about the new raid even though im yet to finish the first one … my guild is only up to gorsavil. (spelling?)

A Bit disheartened that the living story is still awhile away though.
Im itching to continue the story (since HoT’s story was so short)

But new content is new content and ill be happy to devour it ;-)
Keep up the good work guys.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Good stuff. Hope ANet delivers. Looking forward to these updates.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

There’s really solid stuff there and some really disappointing delays and some glaring omissions. New Fractals. That’s fantastic. New raid wing? Awesome. New x-pac in development? Great news.

Dropped ball stuff? WvW changes coming way too late. What about the new legendaries? Not even a word about it either way. Last year, ArenaNet said that stuff was coming. Are they being put off til next year? Any news one way or another would be great.

Overall, I think this is a step in the right direction. Content coming out to keep us busy while we wait for a new expansion. Hopefully ArenaNet can build on this in a positive way.

What about new armor sets to earn in game? There’s a distinct lack of new armor sets to work towards.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Donari.5237

Very interesting QoL changes, but a bit light on content (except for shatterer revamp). I hope April’s seasonal update brings more content.

One question:

Now that gliding is available everywhere, will we be able to unlock it with experience obtained in Pact Tyria?

“If you’ve trained the Glider Basics Mastery in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, your glider will let you glide a bit further…all the way back to Central Tyria.”

As I read it, it remains a HoT mastery that you must train in HoT. But that is an interesting question, is it possible to make mastery xp earning more global?

Posted by: Lagg.3960

Lagg.3960

2016 is the year where we’ll be focusing on the parts of Guild Wars 2 that have been most successful and giving our full attention to those areas by adding depth to them.

So you’re bringing back Dungeons and SAB?

Hey, I just bash you, and this is frenzy,
But here’s my Wammo, so heal me maybe?

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

Yes! “Shattner” does more than sparkle and glow whilst everyone clips it’s nails!!
(And…GLIDING IN CENTRAL TYRIA!!!!)
When is the Quaggan BBQ? My Charr Mesmar is stoked!!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Nike.2631

As I read it, it remains a HoT mastery that you must train in HoT. But that is an interesting question, is it possible to make mastery xp earning more global?

As long as the corrupt cesspit of CoF exists, don’t expect anything of the sort.

If they close that loophole, then things might happen.

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

If they released the overhaul on Jan 26 that would have already been too late. This overhaul being released “later this year” is gonna be money spent for nothing ’cause WvW is already dead.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Nike.2631

2016 is the year where we’ll be focusing on the parts of Guild Wars 2 that have been most successful and giving our full attention to those areas by adding depth to them.

So you’re bringing back Dungeons and SAB?

I’m pretty sure that wording was specifically to dance around the fact those things are dead and gone.

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

3 lines because some did not saw it
- they are working on next expansion
- the other dragons expand their territory
- shatterer update

and a side info: before mordy got active, trahearnes next goal was to defeat kralkatorrik

Seems like the next expansion is about killing Kralkatorrik

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

smitske.4912

As long as the corrupt cesspit of CoF exists, don’t expect anything of the sort.

If they close that loophole, then things might happen.

TBF doing fractals at this point is also a very good way for the exp.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

There is something HUGE missing from this post -

What about guild missions?

You talk about updating successful parts of the game. Guild missions are wildly popular with many people I know (and definitely within my very active very large guild – and definitely more than raids).

They haven’t been touched in years. Any chance we will see new guild missions anytime soon?

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

I don’t like the Karl’s preview of balance >.>

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If they released the overhaul on Jan 26 that would have already been too late. This overhaul being released “later this year” is gonna be money spent for nothing ’cause WvW is already dead.

You don’t know that. People can always come back.

Grim West.3194

Only in the movies. WvW is dead and every day just puts more dirt on the grave.

smitske.4912

To do that it would have to be a massive success. Also it is easier to keep the people you have than pull back the people that were so disappointed they left.

Nike.2631

I don’t like the Karl’s preview of balance >.>

Making the things everyone plays less powerful and the things nobody plays better often has that effect, but that’s usually a good sign for actual balance .

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

FF14 flopped pretty poorly and a lot of people left. It got revamped and how well is it doing now? Maybe you will not do something after you’ve decided to quit on it but you do not speak for everyone else. Some people may not play the revamped WvW who have quit but I can assure you that there will be those who have come back.

Nike.2631

There is no coming back from releasing after XCOM2 comes out .

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

About time they did something for shatterer. He’s been borked for far too long.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I am really not interested in WvW updates, balance, raids, fractals, guild halls or anything PvP related.

The rest of the content listed seems interesting, but their is not much of it. I hope to be impressed this year, but I have grown accustomed to disappointment these days, especially with festivals.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

So when is the first patch for this stuff? For some reason I thought we were getting stuff today when the blog post came out.

| Lithia |

Donari.5237

As stated in the blog, this patch will be in 2 weeks, on the 26th.

“Good news—today I’m going to tell you all the big additions in our first major seasonal update: the Guild Wars 2 Winter 2016 update, which will be arriving on January 26!”

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Some of the things listed are just so bad I actually laughed, the constant “fractal leaderboards” thing, wait let me laugh again ROFL, sorry cannot take this seriously, and when the best thing in the entire blog post is that you are finally adding an option to toggle on viewing ground objects then you know things are bad.

Bottom line is all I really noticed was more re iteration of current systems for the 194784565th time and no real content, with the usual promise of things coming sometime whenever, maybe never.

Disappointed.

(edited by Vavume.8065)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

You guys are taking too much time to fix WvW. The situation is critical, most of my friends have left the game already and it’s like you are on snooze mode.

Wake up and just merge the servers.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

They only presented the highlights. Legendary weapons are not a part of this category.

Grim West.3194

FF14 flopped pretty poorly and a lot of people left. It got revamped and how well is it doing now? Maybe you will not do something after you’ve decided to quit on it but you do not speak for everyone else. Some people may not play the revamped WvW who have quit but I can assure you that there will be those who have come back.

Actually, I hope you are right. But the reality is that WvW has almost zero chance of recovery. Mainly because the devs haven’t shown any semblance of competence up to now with regards to WvW. There is absolutely no reason to believe that has changed.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

As stated in the blog, this patch will be in 2 weeks, on the 26th.

“Good news—today I’m going to tell you all the big additions in our first major seasonal update: the Guild Wars 2 Winter 2016 update, which will be arriving on January 26!”

Ah okay thanks.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Logged into WvW yesterday and I had 16 unused bonus chests. I wonder how many people will come back to WvW if it takes another six months to fix it? Its completely dead IMHO, no one plays anymore, and that makes me sad. This update does nothing to change that but string people along.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

You guys at Anet also forgot to say when SAB is coming back. Many of us are waiting on that promise.

Nike.2631

They only presented the highlights. Legendary weapons are not a part of this category.

I’m willing to wait two weeks to see which way this goes, but over a decade of MMO’ing says Devs don’t hide stuff that would make them look good when doing big press releases.

Posted by: Kattenpootjes.4291

Kattenpootjes.4291

Wow those are some lackluster updates, if this is all there is then I guess Gw2 is slowly dying. Shame to see fractals go as well, no way these updates are going to make things any better :’(

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

RIP WvW, you’ll be missed.
Oh feedback? Errrr, nope. I don’t have any. I just feel empty right now.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: brunobyof.3541

brunobyof.3541

My feelings when i heard we’ll be gliding over Central Tyria:
https://www.facebook.com/beirutpress.net/videos/965345843548336/

However, i was desperately hoping for news on WHEN will the new legendaries come into our hands….yet not a single word on that. I think i’ve see some dev commenting in another time and place about it, but still not sure if “new legendaries coming” meant the “new already existing in game legendaries” or really NEW ones.
I’ve been gathering material and working on earning gold to build my new Greatsword Precursor, which i hoped would be released on january but now i feel completely dismotivated to do so cuz now i realize that won’t be coming in any time soon.
Please tell us more about that. A simply don’t want to craft alastraria, or Hope or Nevermore, i want a new Legendary Greatsword!

(edited by brunobyof.3541)