State of the game.

State of the game.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

It’s Friday evening, 3 weeks after launch. I’ve hoped around to several maps looking for people to play with. Event after event, empty. With events un soloable the game becomes well not much different than any other MMO.

I’m very disappointed in how much things have changed in a few weeks. For the first time I question the future of GW2. Not because ArenaNet failed, they delivered, but the community decides what is a success and what is failure. They do this based on how much they are willing to continue to play your game from the time they finish most of what you have to offer until the time the next content release hits.

It seems the community ran through the game, capped at 80, killed Zhitan and now they are watching TV reruns waiting on Myst of Panderia to land. :<

I’m just worried guys, without players this game feels very lonely and it just doesn’t work. As I ran through Sparkfly Fen or Mount Malemstorm I felt like ANet believed these zones would be populated all the time, they are very empty on Emhry Bay. People show up for the 3-hour group events and that’s about it.

I bet we’ll see server consolidation soon.

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

State of the game.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Sam, it beggars belief that they nerf dungeons, farm rates etc. etc. instead of attending all the countless event bugs. If I have to run past another event (or storymode) that have either npc’s running around while the benny hill theme plays or just not moving at all, I don’t know what I’ll do…..

Get your nerf staff onto other things please Anet for the love of god…..

(edited by Paul.4081)

State of the game.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

I have noticed a huge difference in quality in the > level 55 zones and everything below. They seem very unpolished and well, grindy. Very grindy actually. I’m not trying to be mean, that’s just the way it is. Entertainment value is much lower, not to mention that yes, many are still very buggy and not triggering correctly, etc… My assessment at this point based on these things would be that the game needed to bake a bit longer :/

State of the game.

Paul.4081

Well I thought that since this game wasn’t also coming out for consoles it would not have been rushed, guess I was wrong. Is it NC we have to thank for that, our own personal EA wannabe’s?

(edited by Paul.4081)

State of the game.

Posted by: Xander.3718

Xander.3718

I do agree with you.. I’ve caught myself countless times attempting to solo “group events” because nobody will help… although there is people using the chat I just don’t see anyone… One thing they need to do which Rift did quite well I believe is make the events difficulty based on how many people are in a certain radius of an event… so there isn’t only 2 people standing trying to convince people to come help. Would help a lot. Also, the community needs to not be so greedy… people do NOT like to help. If they’ve done it before than they don’t want to do it again. I’ve had multiple people tell me this in chat when I asked for help. Kinda sad, but obviously we’ve inherited more WoW players than I expected. GW1 players are GREAT and very helpful though.

State of the game.

Paul.4081

Xander I was helpy helperson in GW but theres only so long I can stand beside a follow the npc’s event that don’t move that I can stand in GW2. Those are the worst, everything else is aoe spam.

Xander I hope you are in a guild, that maybe another big hinderance, so many players in GW2 already in Guilds from GW. So they might stick to guildies only. Should be easy to join one though.

(edited by Paul.4081)

State of the game.

Posted by: Xander.3718

Xander.3718

Yeah I can understand that… but there’s many people that when asking for help are just like “No, I’ve done it before and don’t feel like doing it again.” WELL okay then.. might as well take group events out if people only do them once.

State of the game.

Paul.4081

Yeah I can understand that… but there’s many people that when asking for help are just like “No, I’ve done it before and don’t feel like doing it again.” WELL okay then.. might as well take group events out if people only do them once.

You in a guild? Not recruiting btw :P

There are random people that beg you for help, plead for 30 silver and that they’ll pay you back. I gave one such player 40 silver and the deal was pay me 10 silver back, they didn’t even do it. I’m sure many people have been burned lke that, it’s a shame greedy fools ruin that trust in games like these.

Get your meoow into a good guild I’d say, you’ll have more fun!

(edited by Paul.4081)

State of the game.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

I’ve been trying to get into the higher level explorable dungeons all night, and cant get a darn group. Nobody wants to run them!

It really sucks cause I LOVE running with new people and getting to know them! And at the same time kicking but and exploring a new dungeon!

State of the game.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I do agree with you.. I’ve caught myself countless times attempting to solo “group events” because nobody will help… although there is people using the chat I just don’t see anyone… One thing they need to do which Rift did quite well I believe is make the events difficulty based on how many people are in a certain radius of an event… so there isn’t only 2 people standing trying to convince people to come help. Would help a lot. Also, the community needs to not be so greedy… people do NOT like to help. If they’ve done it before than they don’t want to do it again. I’ve had multiple people tell me this in chat when I asked for help. Kinda sad, but obviously we’ve inherited more WoW players than I expected. GW1 players are GREAT and very helpful though.

I’ve got a level 80 that I am/was running around in clearing maps for the 100%. I saw lots and lots of calls for help. Sadly, I simply can’t afford the near 2s per WP to jump in and help. If I hoof it, most of the time I got there too late; so I stopped trying to join.

Anet needs to lower WP costs so people can join in the events together. The cost cripples my (and others’) ability to join the hot linked events.

Note: Before 80, I would WP all over the map and help all the time. Was an absolute blast. Now, 80. I’m out of hearts to do for added income, so I rely on farming mats to sell on the TP just so I can play normally. I could play the TP game, but I hate that. I want adventure.

State of the game.

Posted by: daniil.3720

daniil.3720

As much as I loved RIFT you have to admit it’s not without the issues (and since we’re on topic of dynamic events neither was WAR for obvious reasons), how many times I couldn’t do anything good because there wasn’t any people around.

I am really sorry, guys, though, I am on Tarnished Coast, and I’ve seen nothing but great populations in all areas, you’re welcome to switch. And I know I am starting a kittenstorm by suggesting people move away from already ghost town servers, but I guess I just lucked out, everything people complain about in these forums, I just can’t bring myself to apply to TC, and I am not even in the guild, though I am anxious to join one in anticipation of my upcoming 80 when I want to dedicate my time for some dungeons and crafting.

State of the game.

Posted by: Xilo.9567

Xilo.9567

What server do you play on? Most of the servers sit on full or high for NA. Usually 3 that are on medium. I do not notice this low population that you speak of. I always go back and forth between my 80 and my lowbies.

On Gate of Madness BTW. This game is still selling extremely well. They ran out of serial keys just the other day……. The thing is people dont play for 16 hrs a day anymore sine the game has settled in.

Also if you are on one of the medium pop servers you can just transfer to a higher pop one while the free transfers are still here.

State of the game.

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

I agree with WasAGuest. Been my experience as well. So I agree that I’m at the point of the silver sink for a WP jump.

I agree….too costly to jump in and help. As he said, If I hoof it, most of the time I got there too late; so I stopped trying to join.

So I agree. I agree. Can we agree? I also think that Anet needs to lower WP costs so people can join in the events together. Again, I agree, as he said. . .it’s honest and true. . .the cost cripples my (and others’) ability to join the hot linked events.

State of the game.

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

Still alot of people on dragonbrand… Althought the lower level zones are less populate than release, this is expected because players are more spread out.

People also will not play as intense as release, this is a given in any games online or offline.

The state of the game, at least on dragonbrand, is still doing very good.

State of the game.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

u question the future of GW2? it’s b2p, theyve made mad profit and theyre gonna keep rolling out content this is just the beginning. im actually very excited.

the only accurate measure of population is the world selection screen. last time i checked, 12 servers are full at peak times and never more than 3 medium (actually increased compared to 2 weeks ago), and everything is crowded. overflows are rare due to most people being out of low level zones. Euro servers are also in a great shape with 5 servers full.

im impressed that half the servers are still at full capacity. the powergamers/raiders are putting in less time, according to xfire, which is expected, but there is more and more new blood coming in. people who are bored, crying about rewards, whining about endgame, etc., are always welcome to leave.

true test will be in 3 days. if MoP does not have an impact on the server pops, then we’re in a great shape. my bet is there will be a small impact, but nothing significant considering that most people are bored of WoW and WoW fanatics have already left GW2, or are about to leave (they cant faceroll the endgame content).

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

(edited by nerva.7940)

State of the game.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

I am really sorry, guys, though, I am on Tarnished Coast, and I’ve seen nothing but great populations in all areas, you’re welcome to switch.

this is actually the case with all the servers. people are essentially feeding off the whining powergamers/raiders, who rushed to 80, hit a brick wall due to skill-based dungeons and no carrot, and are currently plaguing the forums. the game is in a very decent shape considering it’s brand new.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

State of the game.

Posted by: The Moment Ends.1635

The Moment Ends.1635

As much as I loved RIFT you have to admit it’s not without the issues (and since we’re on topic of dynamic events neither was WAR for obvious reasons), how many times I couldn’t do anything good because there wasn’t any people around.

I am really sorry, guys, though, I am on Tarnished Coast, and I’ve seen nothing but great populations in all areas, you’re welcome to switch. And I know I am starting a kittenstorm by suggesting people move away from already ghost town servers, but I guess I just lucked out, everything people complain about in these forums, I just can’t bring myself to apply to TC, and I am not even in the guild, though I am anxious to join one in anticipation of my upcoming 80 when I want to dedicate my time for some dungeons and crafting.

Yeah TC is great

State of the game.

Posted by: daniil.3720

daniil.3720

Yeah TC is great

Server pride. We’re starting to see it. I like that kitten.

State of the game.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I was actually from TC before I moved to JQ.

No one in the level 80 zones during non american hours

JQ = Good mix of people doing different things at all hours.

State of the game.

Posted by: The Moment Ends.1635

The Moment Ends.1635

I see people or crowds everywhere I go

State of the game.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Mornings are thin, nights are usually pretty full on most zones (40-60 here).

Anvil rock.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

State of the game.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

true test will be in 3 days. if MoP does not have an impact on the server pops, then we’re in a great shape. my bet is there will be a small impact, but nothing significant considering that most people are bored of WoW and WoW fanatics have already left GW2, or are about to leave (they cant faceroll the endgame content).

Oh it will be a huge hit. It’s a major MMO release and there is an overlap, a huge one, in playerbases. I haven’t played WoW in years, so I won’t be bothering, but it will be a huge hit to the pop for GW2 for at least a couple of weeks.

State of the game.

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

The problem Anet created is with EASY TRANSFERS and players are jumping around like jackrabbits trying to get on the winning servers for WvWvW so what once might have been a heavily populated server are now ghost towns. Fortunately for me there were several servers picked to be great PVE servers from the start and thus we don’t have the population problem on my server and there’s plenty of help when you need it for events. It’s almost funny how many players show up when an event pops anywhere I am. I’m in the 30 to 40 bracket right now and never have any trouble as I said getting help.

State of the game.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Sam maybe you should use free transfer and move to more heavily populated server. The issues that you are seeing are not happening on Jade Quarry. I just finished a 5 hour run in Malchor’s Leap (sp?). DEs were working and people were joining in. Also, completed two boss events with other players.

When I am in Lion’s Arch, still see people LFG for dungeons. Although, I do think that the dungeon nerf has hurt the game. Arenanet should rollback all of its diminishing return code and come up with seamless ways to stop bots.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

State of the game.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

I keep ending up in LA overflows. Clearly, the game’s dying.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

State of the game.

Posted by: BraxKedren.8941

BraxKedren.8941

I don’t know what server the OP plays on, but transfers are currently limited free.

I have yet to find an event going on that doesnt have people running to do them. /M opens up when most of them pop and people come running, even for the ones in caves.

Noob in training

State of the game.

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

He might be on one of the low pop servers. I am on one and most of the zones 50+ are empty. It is just a temporary problem.

State of the game.

ravinhood.3981

So many dam players on my server by the time I get to the EVENT it’s OVER sometimes. lol OP is either bad player or on ghosttown server.

State of the game.

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

So many dam players on my server by the time I get to the EVENT it’s OVER sometimes. lol OP is either bad player or on ghosttown server.

Or just desperately wants to believe in that the game is dying.

What? We see lots of whiners everyday like we saw on every other gaming forums. They will always be there, wishing the game dies.

State of the game.

ravinhood.3981

What? We see lots of whiners everyday like we saw on every other gaming forums. They will always be there, wishing the game dies.

Wonder why that is? Gamers who whine or don’t like the game want to see the game fail? You know it’s not going to and I remember the forums and whines about GW1 lol. I guess it makes them feel good if they can pump their chests and say they quit before everyone else.

State of the game.

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

Wonder why that is? Gamers who whine or don’t like the game want to see the game fail? You know it’s not going to and I remember the forums and whines about GW1 lol. I guess it makes them feel good if they can pump their chests and say they quit before everyone else.

Maybe yeah. The thing I know for certain is, we’re not getting rid of them, they will always be there, whining

State of the game.

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

it’s quiet every friday evening, in every game, so that is kind of moot.
But to be more specific : Have you checked WvWvW? alot of people are getting their last few levels there while having fun over the frustration that is current Orr.

Myself? i skipped Orr all together and went to do WvW and Frostgorge.

State of the game.

ravinhood.3981

I slow play MMO’s enough I never get bored and by the time I get to the level cap or endgame content there is already a lot more added and changed about the game. It’s like going to Walmarts on a Saturday if you expect to get in an out in a hurry you’re in for quite the frustration when they only have 3 checkers and 100 people want to checkout. lol I always go shopping with the idea of not being in a hurry or that I most certainly will have to wait inline.

State of the game.

Posted by: BatteryBiscuits.1573

BatteryBiscuits.1573

The thing is with this gw2 being b2p and not needing subscriptions, during time when people play their mmos and get downtime, they can always count on gw2 for more gameplay with little to no downtime and zero subscription fees.

This worked amazingly well with gw1 imo.
I might be watching some VN’s or doing osmething else but il always count on gw2 to provide me some gameplay along with new content and expansion that il try out ^^

State of the game.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I just hit 80 yesterday, and i see a lot of people everywhere. Events are always getting zerged. WvW always has people. There isn’t too many people doing Dungeons though, because LFG is such a hassle.

My biggest complaint about this game are all the broken Events, Stories, Skill Points, etc. It’s really starting to irritate me now, and i don’t even feel like logging in knowing i can’t finish my Personal Story. sigh.

State of the game.

Posted by: skullcrusher.7849

skullcrusher.7849

Reading forums is like contracting the plague.
I PROMISED myself id go nowhere near the gw2 forum, yet sometimes whilst eating dinner, lunch etc infront of the comp, i get bored and want to read about things, especially this game as it totally rocks.

I Couldnt give a kitten what anyone else thinks, this game is golden imho.
I cant play it enough. Ofcoarse, i have a job and get to only play 3-4 hours nightly these days, which sux..

The problem with alot of gw2 population it seems is theres ALOT of unemployed nerds that have heaps of spare time on their hands, smash out max lvl and obtain all the gear, then cry about nothing to do.

Im only lvl 70 atm , and having a blast doing dungeons and pve ( havnt touched pvp yet, not really my thing, i have FPS for that ) and the amount of high level characters getting about is astounding…..

So, to conclude, for people like me, this game is absolutely awesome, game of the year by far, for the unemployed with 16 hours daily to play, this game will get old, quick.

I suggest all the oxygen thieves go find another game to play, GW2 is totally fine the way it is….( a few tweaks , patches ect prob needed, but overall an enjoying game to play )