Stealing from Guild Bank

Stealing from Guild Bank

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cryo.2875

Cryo.2875

So here’s the deal.

There was a person X in our guild for about 2 weeks now. As an officer of the guild I have my daily routine of checking things and logs around the guild. I noticed X left the guild “5 hours ago” and I thought that maybe he didn’t like this guild or something. Ok, moving on. I got to the guild bank and saw the guild stash (which is usually 90%+ full) empty. I was like woah, someone must’ve really needed all that.

Offtopic, we have a rule in the guild that when you withdraw something from the guild stash/treasure trove you give back anything of similar or equal value.

Back to original post. I checked the history log and there was an “Unknown User” that withdrew all that stuff from the Stash, 5 hours ago. I put those facts together to find out that X had taken everything from the stash (including gold that was deposited in there) and immediately left the guild. I did check the guild log just in case if someone was named “Unknown User” but there was none. Also nobody else left in the time lapse of 24+hours. So it HAD to be X.

Now he doesn’t respond to whispers and also to the mail I’ve sent to him (Implying what he did was wrong and If he can return all the stuff or there will be consequences). Note that he was online during that stuff, and noticing even zone changes which shows that he wasn’t afking. (I saw these things by adding him as a friend).

Now it comes to: What should I/We do? He doesn’t respond to anything, not even guild invite, we have an empty stash now. I already reported the guy but if there is anything else we can do, i’d appreciate the answer.

TL;DR X person, which has not been very long in the guild, emptied the Guild Stash and left the guild right after. He’s not responding to anykind of communication.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Eek, that’s ballsy letting everyone access your vaults, give rights to certain folks, have them mail them the stuff they want, like besides having a title by their name, have them do something as well.

There’s nothing you can do minus preventing it from happening again. Sorry if it sounds harsh but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Nothing you can do but to learn from this honestly.
If he was granted access to the guild bank, you can do nothing against his action.

Here is how it goes. Officers have access to the guild bank. If members need something, they ask for it. At least in a guild with random members this is a must.

Feel sorry for your loss but reporting him will probably not bring your stuff back.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear that. I’m not sure if support could get your lost items back like other games could by logs.

I would suggest you not allow anyone access to withdraw things from the guild bank unless you really know them.

Hope you get it figured out!

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

you gave them access…

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

Certainly you should look at your rank permissions, and set up a rank for new players that only allows bank deposits. That won’t stop this completely, but if someone joins with thieving on their mind, seeing that they are in a no-withdrawal class until they impress an officer, they might just bolt right away and not bother.

If the person is in your contacts, you should be able to see their current guild, and you could try to contact a guild member/officer and tell them to watch out for this one. I would do it without broadcasting the guy’s name – it is possible that you have id’ed the wrong ex guild member (slim but possible).

Anyway, that sucks and I have seen it before in my 2ndary guild – unknown user cleaned out the bank – so I wonder if this is a repeated scam in midsize guilds who recruit openly. This will only get worse with guesting, so I would say caution is going to be needed.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

You can try reporting him for scamming or something similar, see if anet sympathizes. But, in my guild for example, only certain people have the ability to withdraw from stash but everyone has the ability to deposit.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Never, ever give guild bank access to everyone, especially not new players. That’s what ranks are for. Giving access to everyone is just asking for trouble.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Is it really stealing if you gave them permission to withdraw from the bank though? It would be like giving my keys to someone and hoping they don’t rob me blind.

That’s why you have officers+ that you trust that can take out anything for another member. Giving the entire guild a free for all to the guild bank is stupid.

Only thing you can do is report him but it may not do anything. Anet honestly shouldn’t do anything about it in my opinion because you gave them access.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

I think a-net support (Gaile) has said on a few occasions that there’s not much they can do in this instance as they consider it an internal guild issue.

As others have suggested, I would take a look at your guild permissions and what you restrict different levels to. While I like to say ‘open door, come and go as you will, take what you need and share what you can,’ the flat truth is that that applies to members and up, not recruits. Recruits stay that way until they spend enough time running with guild members in events, dungeons or whatever to get bumped to member. And cash withdrawl is a guild lead / officer function, everyone else is deposit only.

What kinds of things were you keeping in your guild stash? In my guild, it’s mostly low level gear people use when rolling through alts and it’s there as a convenience… how big of a hit was this?

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

Sounds harsh but it is down to your guilds administration of permissions as others have said.

Pretty sure support can’t do anything as you basically allowed this happen.

Call it a lesson and learn from it.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Certainly you should look at your rank permissions, and set up a rank for new players that only allows bank deposits.

Honestly I find those set up discouraging, either give them access to withdraw and deposit or deny them both. The other way just reads poorly/greedy/unfair/etc

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

As for setting bank permissions up there are several ways to do it.

One I have seen most common is that each tab has different permissions by rank. In this way the lowest tier tab contains only stuff used for levelling gear and levelling crafting. Lower ranks can deposit and withdraw and because it only contains sub 80 guff it doesn’t matter if someone takes it all.
Each tab goes up in gear level and also requires higher rank to access with the top tier only available to officers and is where you would bank gold, ectos, lodestones and the ‘good stuff’.

This doesn’t preclude helping lower ranks out it just needs the intervention of an officer to dole it out which is a safety mechanism. Most guilds have a dedicated officer who looks after the bank which I would suggest any guild to do.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Certainly you should look at your rank permissions, and set up a rank for new players that only allows bank deposits.

Honestly I find those set up discouraging, either give them access to withdraw and deposit or deny them both. The other way just reads poorly/greedy/unfair/etc

we have it set up like that BUT any member can ask an officer if they can use something from the guild bank and we mail it to them, so noone can steal all the stuff, yet everyone can put off the stuff they don’t need but want to share with the guild. And ofc we make sure to notify any new member that joins about it. Cant see how that is discouraging, it is a pure safety net, and since there is no need for security as it cant really be abused, everyone might as well have access to that

to the OP, as others said already really tough luck, and learn form your mistakes and only let leaders and officers withdraw, but allow members to request items from the guild bank from them

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

You gave him the right to take stuff out of the guild bank. He used that right. There is absolutely nothing you can do. Any “rules” you made are between you and him, the staff can’t and won’t help you with that.

Seriously… do you hand out the PIN code for your bank card to unknown people who happen to be in the same room as you? You should treat ingame wealth with the same prudence if you care about said wealth.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

“Trust no one.”

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

next time, make the lowest tier rank for newly recruited players or players that you don’t trust for now and prohibit them to access guild bank.

Or have a liaison officer that the new players can talk to if they wish to have something from the bank. at least give the new players the option to just inspect what’s available for distribution.

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Opening up the bank for deposit saves a lot of trouble if you have honest people. They simply want to put somethings in there they don’t use anymore. And if they see there’s something they would like, they’ll have to ask until they’re known.

Another thing you could do is imply only opening up the first part of the guild bank to everybody, but anything of value be put in the second or even third part.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

That really stinks. I have always had banks open when I ran guilds.. and for the most part it works well. I have had people steal .. but you know what – yeah it sucks- but think about that person that just stole pixels. I almost feel sorry for them. I mean honestly a person that does that in a computer game must just be sad in real life. It did not happen often though so I felt comfortable keeping my policy in place with the bank. Now I never had it so open that someone that had been there a day could empty it.. but they could take things. So maybe if there is a way to set limits in this game you should.

Sorry that happened to you but just know that the people in your guild that can access the bank from your trust appreciate it and hopefully you will not get someone like that again. I would hate to think that one sorry person would change your view of the game and the way you treat your other guild members.

In the end it is all computer generated crap.. and you will get that crap back :P don’t stress to hard about it.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

That really stinks. I have always had banks open when I ran guilds.. and for the most part it works well. I have had people steal .. but you know what – yeah it sucks- but think about that person that just stole pixels. I almost feel sorry for them. I mean honestly a person that does that in a computer game must just be sad in real life. It did not happen often though so I felt comfortable keeping my policy in place with the bank. Now I never had it so open that someone that had been there a day could empty it.. but they could take things. So maybe if there is a way to set limits in this game you should.

Sorry that happened to you but just know that the people in your guild that can access the bank from your trust appreciate it and hopefully you will not get someone like that again. I would hate to think that one sorry person would change your view of the game and the way you treat your other guild members.

In the end it is all computer generated crap.. and you will get that crap back :P don’t stress to hard about it.

Truth has been spoken.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

If it were me, after taking all the items from the guild bank, I’d fill the bank back up with porous bones. That way you could say “OOps, it must have been that pesky DR invading your guild vault!”

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

From my experience on GW1 with Officers and scammers, nothing can be done about it., since it’s technically your fault. But unfortunately you’ve learnt the hard way. Never, ever, ever promote someone you don’t know very well. Even your best officer can be fueled by greed and hate.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Stealing from Guild Bank

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

I think a-net support (Gaile) has said on a few occasions that there’s not much they can do in this instance as they consider it an internal guild issue

This is true. Cryo, you could nevertheless report him in-game or through the ticketing system as a scamming denounce. However, and as it has already been said, this is an internal guild issue; although unfortunate, it can be a lesson so your guild does not suffer the same episode again.

We close the thread now. Thanks for your understanding.