SteelSeries GW2 Gaming Keyboard - Policy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Q:

Diagonal Keys and GW2
http://steelseries.com/products/games/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-gaming-keyboard

I have some concerns about features offered with this Guild Wars 2 keyboard.
One concern is ArenaNet’s policy that states “One Key = One Action”.

I play using the arrow keys as I’ve never really been able to get used to the WASD keys due to them being offset from eachother as well as kind of being crowded by other keys. The SteelSeries Guild Wars 2 Gaming Keyboard includes two new keys by the arrow keys: Diagonals! Now, this feature really makes me want to pick up this keyboard due to my using the arrow keys for maneuvering.

However, the main problem preventing me from grabbing one is that the added diagonal arrow keys to this keyboard most likely function to where pressing it would cause your character to move as if you were pressing forward and also pressing the strafe key.

This presents a problem: Wouldn’t the diagonal keys perform “One Key = Two Actions”. So this keyboard has the Guild Wars 2 name, but offers at least one fantastic feature that is not permitted to be used while playing Guild Wars 2? Is this correct?

Others are free to discuss the macro key options that all gaming keyboards have and Anet policies and whatnot with those features if you want. But my main question is if those diagonal keys, the main reason I’d be interested in getting this keyboard, are actually not permitted to be used with Guild Wars 2?

Thank you.

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Squidlips.3817

Squidlips.3817

This doesn’t look like it violates the policy to me. Most keyboards use 2 keys to activate one action (moving diagonally). This keyboard would be 1 key to activate one action.

Straight Dumpstered [ONE] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Yeah, I tend to agree. It’s 2 button pressed, but one action. It’s not really a macro in the traditional sense, since you’re only performing one action. I dunno. (I wouldn’t be surprised if those keys just sent the equivilant letter combinations to the game. Is that a macro? I dunno.)

Posted by: VoxShatterfall.5470

VoxShatterfall.5470

I’d say probably not, since walking in a direction is the resulting action.
Besides, since when was diagonal movement a macro haha.

If you could rebind the keys there to do the jump evade… now thats a bit more devious.

Commander Vox Shatterfall / Ward Zabach / Ifrit the Immolated
Angry Intent | Multiple Servers
WTB Razor Blade Free Candy!

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I still think it’s one action, not two. You’re moving diagonally. That’s one action. One action, 1 key. I think it’s permissible.

StinVec.3621

This doesn’t look like it violates the policy to me. Most keyboards use 2 keys to activate one action (moving diagonally). This keyboard would be 1 key to activate one action.

The act of moving diagonally is not one action, it requires the combined effects of pressing two individual keys that perform their individual actions; moving sideways and moving forward. This key seems to perform both the forward movement and the sideways movement at the same time with the use of a single key press instead of two individual keys. So it is definitely One Key that performs Two Actions. My question isn’t whether it performs two actions with its single key press, it would, but rather one of whether or not this behavior by this Guild Wars 2 branded keyboard is not actually permitted to be used with Guild Wars 2, or if those keys would need to be disabled or unused during GW2 play?

(edited by StinVec.3621)

StinVec.3621

I’d say probably not, since walking in a direction is the resulting action.
Besides, since when was diagonal movement a macro haha.

If you could rebind the keys there to do the jump evade… now thats a bit more devious.

Now that is an interesting thought. On the product page it states that some buttons and features won’t work unless the SteelSeries software is installed. Perhaps the diagonal keys will not function at all without the software, they’d just be dead keys. Even with the software, perhaps setting them to move diagonally is only an option for the keys, and that they can be bound to perform different functions, like jump and dodge.

Hmm, I use right shift and right ctrl to dodge and jump (respectively), so I don’t know if having those diagonal keys bound to non-diagonal moving actions (if they are determined to be not permitted) would be enough to want to purchase it.
:\

edit
Apparently the diagonal keys do work without the software installed.
“The diagonal keys will work outside of the SteelSeries Engine”

(edited by StinVec.3621)