Step It Up Arenanet

Step It Up Arenanet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alexander.9810

Alexander.9810

I’ve come to the conclusion that this game, despite its innovation, pretty aesthetics, and unique combat system rates about 6 out of 10 for an MMO.

I’m going to name some of the biggest flaws that I’ve seen and chunk deuce because, like my signature says, I am already committed to another MMO, FFXIV, which is significantly better and has an expansion on the way.

• Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. I mainly played PvP while I was in the game, but I think this applies to everyone. Arenanet please look at your bug report section of the forums, there’s cobwebs growing there and it would behoove you to at least pretend you’re paying attention to them.
  • Toxic community. The PvE players seem to be much more positive than the PvP community, which is all well and good, but overall the vitriol coming from WvW and PvP players, which are the game modes I would have committed to if this game was worth committing to, pushed me away. Big time.
  • Obvious short-handed staff is obvious. I don’t know if it’s because you guys pay a lot of overhead, NCSoft’s shareholders are too demanding, or your management doesn’t have the stones to spend more money in problem areas, but the rate of work and releasing content is abysmal. FFXIV ARR came out in 2013 and within the period of time it’s been out the sheer amount of content they’ve created is staggering. I don’t know what the excuse is for GW2, but it doesn’t really matter. You guys aren’t giving your players enough to do, that’s why they’re complaining on your forums so much.
  • I know you’re in “testing phase” for your PvP leaderboards, but getting to the top of them just requires playing the game more. When you average out how many games per day the “top” players play, it makes you wonder if they have taken a shower in the last 2 months. There have been sub .500 winning percentage “elites” in the top 25. One time I counted four of them, but that was a while ago. That’s just embarrassing.
  • The fact that you have not committed to a release date for HoT and still hype it up while it’s in early beta shows that you guys do not have the confidence to set a date, do not have enough staff to have that confidence, and will probably release the expansion “unfinished,” which might be a subjective word to you, but, again, FFXIV Heavensward will be a “finished” product. They’ve already gone into detail about what you’ll be getting, a lot more than your cute little “we’re nowhere done yet, even though it’s been 3 years to work on an expansion, but here’s where we think we are and where we think we’re going.”
  • Your PvP balance is trying to make anarchy cool. It’s not working. There needs to be order and organization in how players build and how groups form, which is why Trinity MMOs will always outperform GW2 in PvE and PvP. Is it a stale, “boring” system? Maybe. But it works. Ultimately, as in life, that’s all that matters. If it works. Ultimately, one day, one or some of you will realize that you need to have archetypes or roles that all players are made aware of, and a system in-game that directs them to build in a way that the group needs. In a Trinity game, you have to have a Tank, 2 DPS, and a Healer. GW2 needs something similar to that if it’s ever going to have good competition in all competitive levels of PvP.
  • All your business model promotes is new players, new players, and more new players. You very obviously are not focusing on retaining your most committed players, because there is nowhere near as much incentive to. That’s one of the many failures of a non-subscription MMO and proof that it’s just a fad that is of benefit to younger, weaker studios who need the obnoxious dress up customers instead of the ones willing to pay you 180 dollars a year plus 50-60 for an xpac guaranteed. You actually have to work for those customers, but if you get them they’ll promote your game everywhere and say almost entirely positive things about the game.

Hope you guys read this and at least consider looking into some new approaches, like having an optional subscription, building a role system for PvP, templates, or any number of the suggestions pouring into your forum every other day.

Deuces, and enjoy this preview of an actual expansion.

Warrior in FFXIV, the best MMO in the world
Former Warrior in Guild Wars 2
Former Sith Warrior in SWTOR

(edited by Alexander.9810)

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

I hope you brought your fire blanket…

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Hearte.6852

Hearte.6852

I agreed with most of this except for the 2nd to last bullet point. No trinity please. In any case, you can more or less make a trinity by customizing your gear and builds.

Step It Up Arenanet

Excludee.3850

I agreed with most of this except for the 2nd to last bullet point. No trinity please. In any case, you can more or less make a trinity by customizing your gear and builds.

We in Guild Wars 2 do not worship any holy trinity. We focus all of our praise to our one true lord, Zerker, god of metas.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

This post looks to me like inspired by your another game and with this you want this game to change. Why play 2 similar games? GW2 has its own style and its own problems. If this was changed to another silly generic mmo, thank you I’m out. And I believe I’m not alone with this.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

While I agree with a lot of your points what’s the point of this post if you have left the game already for something much much better it seems.

Attachments:

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I’ve come to the conclusion that this game, despite its innovation, pretty aesthetics, and unique combat system rates about 6 out of 10 for an MMO.

I’m going to name some of the biggest flaws that I’ve seen and chunk deuce because, like my signature says, I am already committed to another MMO, FFXIV, which is significantly better and has an expansion on the way.

• Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. I mainly played PvP while I was in the game, but I think this applies to everyone. Arenanet please look at your bug report section of the forums, there’s cobwebs growing there and it would behoove you to at least pretend you’re paying attention to them.
  • Toxic community. The PvE players seem to be much more positive than the PvP community, which is all well and good, but overall the vitriol coming from WvW and PvP players, which are the game modes I would have committed to if this game was worth committing to, pushed me away. Big time.
  • Obvious short-handed staff is obvious. I don’t know if it’s because you guys pay a lot of overhead, NCSoft’s shareholders are too demanding, or your management doesn’t have the stones to spend more money in problem areas, but the rate of work and releasing content is abysmal. FFXIV ARR came out in 2013 and within the period of time it’s been out the sheer amount of content they’ve created is staggering. I don’t know what the excuse is for GW2, but it doesn’t really matter. You guys aren’t giving your players enough to do, that’s why they’re complaining on your forums so much.
  • I know you’re in “testing phase” for your PvP leaderboards, but getting to the top of them just requires playing the game more. When you average out how many games per day the “top” players play, it makes you wonder if they have taken a shower in the last 2 months. There have been sub .500 winning percentage “elites” in the top 25. One time I counted four of them, but that was a while ago. That’s just embarrassing.
  • The fact that you have not committed to a release date for HoT and still hype it up while it’s in early beta shows that you guys do not have the confidence to set a date, do not have enough staff to have that confidence, and will probably release the expansion “unfinished,” which might be a subjective word to you, but, again, FFXIV Heavensward will be a “finished” product. They’ve already gone into detail about what you’ll be getting, a lot more than your cute little “we’re nowhere done yet, even though it’s been 3 years to work on an expansion, but here’s where we think we are and where we think we’re going.”
  • Your PvP balance is trying to make anarchy cool. It’s not working. There needs to be order and organization in how players build and how groups form, which is why Trinity MMOs will always outperform GW2 in PvE and PvP. Is it a stale, “boring” system? Maybe. But it works. Ultimately, as in life, that’s all that matters. If it works. Ultimately, one day, one or some of you will realize that you need to have archetypes or roles that all players are made aware of, and a system in-game that directs them to build in a way that the group needs. In a Trinity game, you have to have a Tank, 2 DPS, and a Healer. GW2 needs something similar to that if it’s ever going to have good competition in all competitive levels of PvP.
  • All your business model promotes is new players, new players, and more new players. You very obviously are not focusing on retaining your most committed players, because there is nowhere near as much incentive to. That’s one of the many failures of a non-subscription MMO and proof that it’s just a fad that is of benefit to younger, weaker studios who need the obnoxious dress up customers instead of the ones willing to pay you 180 dollars a year plus 50-60 for an xpac guaranteed. You actually have to work for those customers, but if you get them they’ll promote your game everywhere and say almost entirely positive things about the game.

Hope you guys read this and at least consider looking into some new approaches, like having an optional subscription, building a role system for PvP, templates, or any number of the suggestions pouring into your forum every other day.

Deuces

sorry man, there are a number of cooperative games that work just fine without trinity. A lack of trinity doesnt mean anarchy.

Now i m not saying they have designed compelling team content that often, but it has nothing to do with trinity.
i played FFXIV, trinity has nothing to do with why the good boss encounters are interesting.
You generally have very little concept of what any of the other 3 roles struggles are, so their existence doesnt make the fight any more entertaining.

some of your other points are valid though

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

I used to eat, sleep, breathe FF until I bought FFXIV.. That game failed horribly and just took money from their fans.. They recreated it into a realm reborn, I got closed beta access but it still wasn’t enough to convince me to pay a sub fee for that game. Seeing as they robbed me with the first one.

So while you might think it is a better MMO, It was the ending to all FF for me.

RIP FF you died after FF11

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

(edited by briggah.7910)

Step It Up Arenanet

Alexander.9810

I used to eat, sleep, breath FF until I bought FFXIV.. That game failed horribly and just took money from their fans.. They recreated it into a realm reborn, I got closed beta access but it still wasn’t enough to convince me to pay a sub fee for that game. Seeing as they robbed me with the first one.

So while you might think it is a better MMO, It was the ending to all FF for me.

If you saw how it is today compared to the original launch it would totally blow your mind.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Tried FF XIV, thought the community sucked. Just my experience. I’m sure there are nice people playing.

As for anything else, that old style, quest hub, static quest thing was unplayable for me. And if this game had a trinity I’d never do a dungeon again.

Anet didn’t give a release date for the original Guild Wars 2 even after they started the preordering process. It has nothing to do with confidence. kittenumption is bad.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

You bring up some interesting points about community. How is the ranked pvp community and wvwvw comminity in ff, maybe ill give it a try?

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

FFXIV is a very boring game.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

ff was my childhood, but ff14 arr is a bad joke.

ff14arr is like a baby learning to walk , gw2 is an adult

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

They arent giving a release date because kitten can, will, and often does change. Remember precursor crafting? They were going to come out with that a year or two ago or some kitten like that. Then changes occurred and they had to scrap the system back to step 0. Then LS2 came out with the Vine backpiece. Some of the smarter (or those prone to correct logic leaps) players, myself among them, realized that Mawdrey was quite possibly a testing platform for the new precursor system. WELL GUESS kittenING WHAT? It was.

The other reason you wont be given a release date until it’s kitten near complete is because if there’s something that causes a delay, kitteny players are going to have a field day on the forums crying all over the place when it misses the date.

Oh yea, comparing large company X to smaller company B who’s overseen by large company Y is a false comparison. At least have proper numbers.

Also, I hope you enjoy what’s going to be months of vertical gear grind and the knowledge you’ll never be wearing the top tier gear for a looooooooooong time. And the moment you do, you’re given a $60 expac that means your “top tier” gear is now a second class citizen.

One last thing, GW1 is still around and kicking. It never had a p2p business model. You can even still buy the game. It’s first expansion also took 2-3 years to come out. No, Factions and Nightfall arent expacs, they’re “standalone-expacs,” ie games that add onto each other, including the “core” game, yet can be played individually because they dont require one or another.

edit: why should they step up their work anyways? Clearly you’re no longer a player of GW2. Recapturing players who left is worth less than keeping existing and gaining new players.

Step It Up Arenanet

Excludee.3850

I used to eat, sleep, breathe FF until I bought FFXIV.. That game failed horribly and just took money from their fans.. They recreated it into a realm reborn, I got closed beta access but it still wasn’t enough to convince me to pay a sub fee for that game. Seeing as they robbed me with the first one.

Yep. After what they did to Scholar in FFXIV, I just couldn’t bear to look at the game anymore.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

A Holy Trinity will never work in PvP and games do not use it in this area.

Step It Up Arenanet

Alexander.9810

Never said anything about copying the Trinity into GW2. I meant taking the combat system of GW2 and figuring out 3 roles that each class can fill and balancing around that.

Examples being Spike, Support, and Pressure or Damage, Control, and Support.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I do agree with most, Anet should really expand their workforce, this stagnant months of no content is proof that they are unable to retain old players. Also they could work with better communication, since they usually ask for feedback but rarely act on it.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i tried that game just a month before release, it bores me so much i was seriously praising WoW to be a better game, and i can’t stand that grindfest at all….

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Dude, there are plenty of subscription-based, trinity-based, hardcore-focused MMOs out there. Guild Wars 2 is obviously not for you. Anet designed an awesome combat system, but tough luck, they wanted to innovate on other aspects of the genre as well, by focusing on casual players more and getting rid of the trinity. This game is maybe not what you’re looking for, and it’s not very likely to change in the direction you want it to.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I do agree with most, Anet should really expand their workforce, this stagnant months of no content is proof that they are unable to retain old players. Also they could work with better communication, since they usually ask for feedback but rarely act on it.

Easier said than done. Workforce costs money. You can’t expect the same amount of content for free than you would find in a subscription-based MMO. Many people play GW2 because it’s BtP. HoT will probably fill Anet’s bank account, so we will have a lot of new content released for a while (just like in winter 2012), until the next expansion. Some games are just not designed for hardcore players.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

There are bugs in the game that have been there since launch.

I have just literally gotten used to them and have given up on ever seeing fixes…

Its like Arenanet doesn’t even play its own game.

WHY DOES MY kittenING MESMER STILL GLIDE ACROSS THE FLOOR AFTER BLINKING? TWO kittenING YEARS, MAN.

get your kitten together, anet.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

Many of your points are valid, but as you yourself are noting by your reply, your statement about the trinity system reads as though it’s trinity or the highway, and that’s something that I really no longer have any desire for. I enjoy not needing a tank in PvP or PvE to have a viable team. It’s fine having a class that brings other benefits, but cookie cutter trinity action doesn’t generally bring more enjoyment. Most healers spend their time watching health bars rather than seeing the action; not fun.

You are right about this game not doing very well to set up a system to retain current players, but very wrong about micro-transaction games being a fad. It will continue to succeed for a few reasons. One, it appeals to casual players. They can drop in, spend some coin while they’re playing for a bit, and return whenever time/desire permits without being tied to the game. Two, it means that players dedicated to the game get to speak with their dollars. If devs roll out crap content, the dollars dry up; if they continue to showcase quality work, the dollars continue to flow.

Lastly, players tend to be willing to spend more on micro-transactions over time than they would on a simple subscription. Some of that is a willingness to reward the publisher/devs/etc for continuing to provide enjoyable content. Players are people, and people are more willing to open their wallet over and over if the enjoyment merits the expenditure. Some of that is the same impulse buying that gets you to grab a pack of gum at the register, only on a much larger and more lucrative scale. There’s a reason that successful F2P MMOs, while delivering relatively steady content—hint, step your game up Anet—also release a large number of cosmetic/QoL items through their cash shops. Players like what they offer, designers like seeing their product enjoyed, and companies like the revenue.

Regardless, subscription based MMOs are going to become a harder and harder sell, for the reasons listed above and for others. For instance, many players are looking for content that translates to mobile platforms as well these days, and I don’t know of any subscription-based titles as this point capitalizing on that part of the market right now. I do know that is something that the devs at Black Desert have specifically noted in some of their Q&As.

(edited by Prototypemind.4026)

Step It Up Arenanet

phys.7689

Easier said than done. Workforce costs money. You can’t expect the same amount of content for free than you would find in a subscription-based MMO. Many people play GW2 because it’s BtP. HoT will probably fill Anet’s bank account, so we will have a lot of new content released for a while (just like in winter 2012), until the next expansion. Some games are just not designed for hardcore players.

yes you can.
Arenanet makes as much money as many subscription based games.

you are forgeting that f2p is actually one of the more profitable business models nowadays.

Step It Up Arenanet

Excludee.3850

yes you can.

you are forgeting that f2p is actually one of the more profitable business models nowadays.

People often think companies offering b2p or f2p games are doing them some sort of charity.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

yes you can.

it’s B2P not F2P, a F2P is mostly made to make ppl spend money on power, B2P is made so you get a P2P quality game but have F2P benefits. (like no sub fee, in-game store with cosmetic gimmicks, etc…)

Step It Up Arenanet

phys.7689

yes you can.

it’s B2P not F2P, a F2P is mostly made to make ppl spend money on power, B2P is made so you get a P2P quality game but have F2P benefits. (like no sub fee, in-game store with cosmetic gimmicks, etc…)

no, f2p is not mostly made to spend money on power. f2p is most often spending money on cosmetics/convenience/speed.

gw2 isnt really b2p, its basically a b2p/f2p hybrid.
Its a decent value, dont get me wrong, but it essentially works with the same structure as most f2p games i have played, except you have a better starter package.
check
champions online
star trek
swtor
dcuo
gunbound

gw1 was b2p
gtaV is b2p

(edited by phys.7689)

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I have to agree with a couple other posters here. When it is obvious the OP has already moved on to another game, what is the point of the entire thread? Also, since the OP mainly did pvp, and the first post is mostly focused around pvp, shouldn’t this topic be in the pvp forums?

And as for trinity, absolutely not! One of the reasons I enjoy GW2 so much, is that there is no trinity. Lots of other games out there that have trinity, if you’re that hung up on it.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Step It Up Arenanet

Alexander.9810

You guys can cling to your hipster dream world all you want, but the organization and order of a Trinity-like system would benefit the game more than take away from it.

Anet realizes this. Why else would they have put Taunt into the xpac as a condition?

Step It Up Arenanet

phys.7689

You guys can cling to your hipster dream world all you want, but the organization and order of a Trinity-like system would benefit the game more than take away from it.

Anet realizes this. Why else would they have put Taunt into the xpac as a condition?

taunt is a control effect, they already have things like push pull and fear

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Two things stuck out to me:

1) Toxicity. Yes the game has it, but of the MMOs I’ve played, and of the ones friends have played, this is by far the least toxic. it’s the first MMO game I’ve played that isn’t littered with homophobia, for example. Could the community improve? Well sure, there’s always room for improvement, but relatively speaking, it’s pretty mild.

2) Trinity. Just no. I don’t know an MMO that doesn’t have a trinity like system, except for GW2. GW2 doesn’t need a trinity DPS/Tank/Healer. It need a the opposite. This game is for all the people tired of trinity. It was literally one of their biggest selling points. if you want a trinity, honestly you need to play a different game. GW2 Will never have it. That may seem stupid or company suicide to you, but to a lot of us it’s ideal.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

We will, because it’s what we enjoy. We’ve played other MMOs. We like this better. Its great that you prefer trinities. You have so many game options. We have this one….and that’s about it. why change the 1 game doing something different to just clone the clones of clones out there?

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

To this very day i havent met a game with some sort of pvp system in wich everyone is polite to each other so that is to blame on players not Anet.

i disagree with the whole hyping HoT stuff because the playerbase has always been asking Anet to get involved with us tell and show us some of the work they are doing and i for one couldnt be more grateful to get to see how HoT is coming along as well as the Profession specializations , its not that Anet is overhyping the Expansion its simply that it is not finished to begin with .

NO TRINITY this is one of the reasons why the game is so enjoyable i dont have to carry a slave healer or tank with me at all times to progress in the game

as far as ratings go i’d give gw2 an 8/10 maybe a 9 still

just because i get bored of grinding for long periods doesnt mean all the good things the makers have done arent in the game , i simply cant go back to playing “old school” mmos and beleive me i tried .

however i will agree theres not much incentive for the older players and everything feels oriented towards dragging new players into the game

Bugs arent a big deal except some broken traits that wont even activate.
and in my case spawning inside rocks when loging in at times

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

PvPer 1: “Hello opponent, may I politely kindly end your wonderful life so I may go about my tournament experience of lovely compassion?”

PvPer 2: “Why of course my gracious fellow player who partakes in the medium of competition. May I also say how grossly resplendent your outfit looks on your well played character?”

I have no idea what you’re talking about, this is how every interaction I have ever had in Spvp has been.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) Bugs : I kind of agree with you. But I don’t see much difference between GW2 an other MMO. Maybe it’s just me that got used to it, I’m not sure. But anyway, overall the main problem is a lot of small bugs, that doesn’t affect the game much. But, still I agree. A lot of very old bug are still in the game.

2) Toxic community : You say that PvP is worst, but PvE player will say that dungeon community is worst. That’s a personal opinion base on your own experience. Personally, I mostly have a good experience in PvE, PvP and WvW.

3) Content :FFIV have a monthly fee last time I checked (I don’t know if they removed it recently), but gw2 never and will never had a monthly fee. You need money to have the resources to create more content. You can ask the same amount of content from a B2P MMO than you received from a monthly fee MMO, that just doesn’t even make sense. If you prefer to pay and get more content, then it’s a fair point. I would love to pay a monthly fee and get more content for GW2 but that’s just not the model and frankly I would probably not be here today if there was a monthly fee. I left the game twice (I don’t play much during summer) and the fact that I could get back in the game when I want without paying a fee is a big reason why I got back into it.

4) PvP Leaderboard ; They need transparency about the ranking because it’s so dark and unkown that its purpose kind of get lost on players. But at least we know some stuff. First, it’s not based on the number of game you played, the 14th have 667 games played and the 15th have 1069 games played. But of course only ppl that play on a regular basis in PvP will be good enough to be high on the leaderboard. And second, it’s not at all based directly on the % of victory of your team. The leaderboard rate players not team, so it make no sense to hurt the ranking of a good player that get into bad team. Seriously they could just remove the win/loss ratio, since it doesn’t affect much the ranking. Obviously it trouble some ppl. But again, like I said, more transparency about how the ranking work would be nice.

5) Release date : Pure speculation. You are not alone to don’t the policy of Anet about information. But it’s clear from more than 1 year now. They stopped giving information in advance, they gonna give us the minimum possible, the closer possible to release.

6) Trinity : AAAAAAAAAAH. Sorry I just had a nightmare about someone wanting Holy Trinity in GW2. So what were you talking about again? Oh right. Pass.

7) True, but i’m not sure about the relation with non-subscription MMO.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Final Fantasy ARR gives out content in buckets because they have a powerhouse brand name and a huge number of subscribers on top of being cross platform, so they are not exactly limited in resources. Comparing Sqenix with Anet is like comparing a heavyweight boxing world champion with the best guy at the local club

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: geekgirlonezeroone.1793

geekgirlonezeroone.1793

Bugs are certainly a major issue that have been there since the day GW2 was released. I don’t think any devs or mods view these forums aside to remove bad language and moving topics to other forums leaving posters lost not knowing where their post ended up.

I really do hope the expansion pack will not be free because AN won’t be getting any more money off me until they fix the bugs in the base game first and consider their lacking population could be down to the game being broken and many of the jumping puzzles are far FAR too difficult.

Being a mesmer at a jumping puzzle has a lot of oops and downs.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Doombringer BG.3740

Doombringer BG.3740

Conspiracy Keanu: what if OP is an ArenaNet employee and is just checking out what the community thinks about the game and the way it’s made?

(edited by Doombringer BG.3740)

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Complete BS. I have played enough trinity based mmorpgs over the last 20 years to know that it would not benefit this game one single bit. Do you trinity lovers not realize that not having trinity in this game is one of many things in this game that makes it different and unique from all the other trinity based clone mmos out there??

If you’re that in love with trinity, there are TONS of other mmorpgs out there that have it. No reason to destroy this game and make it just another mmo clone.

Or what Sorin posted above. Just read Sorin’s post and realized I posted pretty much the same thing….lol.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: psyckos.6893

psyckos.6893

PvPer 1: “Hello opponent, may I politely kindly end your wonderful life so I may go about my tournament experience of lovely compassion?”

PvPer 2: “Why of course my gracious fellow player who partakes in the medium of competition. May I also say how grossly resplendent your outfit looks on your well played character?”

I have no idea what you’re talking about, this is how every interaction I have ever had in Spvp has been.

Best post on this thread by far

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

FFXIV, which is significantly better-

I have seen enough.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

NAILED IT.

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Me Kill You.9035

Me Kill You.9035

Ive played gw2 since release and same with gw1, which had more of the ‘trinity’ you are describing.

It works for many games, like gw1 and FF ARR, but that doesn’t mean every mmo from now til the end of time needs to adhere to this model or be a failure, that’s not how development of new games works.

I actually recently tried FF arr and it does have some great elements that make it a great classic, ladder style mmo… I was bored after I got to my job (bard) and felt mostly all I could do is grind on dungeons / story / fate’s to get levels and try to ‘catch up’ with other people in the game. Sure it has other features, but unlike gw2, if you stop to dawdle on any extra stuff you’ll just fall farther behind on the gear ladder, and need to pay more $$ to make it up every month.

Just my thoughts.

Jade Quarry [TPA]

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Final Fantasy ARR gives out content in buckets because they have a powerhouse brand name and a huge number of subscribers on top of being cross platform, so they are not exactly limited in resources. Comparing Sqenix with Anet is like comparing a heavyweight boxing world champion with the best guy at the local club

Except that this “guy at the local club” talks like he’s a world champion heavyweight.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Hi Alexander,

Nice to meet you, there are so many flavors available yet you choose to be salty…
Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Regards,
Tree

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This is the only part i agree with, but the rest of your post is biased, or unworthy of replying to.

It’s really astonishing that Anet hyped an expansion, with nothing else to do in between.

They get everyone hyped, with no release date in sight. Do they really think people are going to wait? The hype for HoT is dead now. It might be alive within the community, but i’m talking about outside of it. They should have kept interest in the game with upcoming content updates after the HoT announcement, but they failed at that. it’s going to be almost 6 months since the announcement, with nothing to look forward to. GW2 is so boring right now.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

You sir, have won my respect.

Attachments:

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

This is the only part i agree with, but the rest of your post is biased, or unworthy of replying to.

It’s really astonishing that Anet hyped an expansion, with nothing else to do in between.

They get everyone hyped, with no release date in sight. Do they really think people are going to wait? The hype for HoT is dead now. It might be alive within the community, but i’m talking about outside of it. They should have kept interest in the game with upcoming content updates after the HoT announcement, but they failed at that. it’s going to be almost 6 months since the announcement, with nothing to look forward to. GW2 is so boring right now.

I think this ties in with his commentary about Anet being short staffed. Everyone is, apparently, working on HoT right now, so everything else is virtually ignored unless it’s a raging fire. Maybe if NCSoft wasn’t siphoning off all the profit to appease Nexon there could be more devs.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

yes you can.

no, f2p is not mostly made to spend money on power. f2p is most often spending money on cosmetics/convenience/speed.

gw2 isnt really b2p, its basically a b2p/f2p hybrid.
Its a decent value, dont get me wrong, but it essentially works with the same structure as most f2p games i have played, except you have a better starter package.
check
champions online
star trek
swtor
dcuo
gunbound

gw1 was b2p
gtaV is b2p

Sorry, but no. My experience with F2P games is limited to SWTOR, but GW2 has nothing in common with the constant reminders that SWTOR throws in your face that your experience is subpar because you are not paying your monthly subscription fee (and the game is designed in a way that the stuff you don’t get as a non-subscriber is not merely cosmetics but core gaming experience).
With GW2 I never have the feeling I have to pay additional money to get a better experience. It sucks that the gold/gems conversion ratio nowadays is so high as compared to what it used to be in the beginning, but I still can buy the additional stuff I would want with in-game gold (again, impossible with SWTOR – and most (all?) F2P games.

So much left that I wanted to see…

Step It Up Arenanet

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think this ties in with his commentary about Anet being short staffed. Everyone is, apparently, working on HoT right now, so everything else is virtually ignored unless it’s a raging fire. Maybe if NCSoft wasn’t siphoning off all the profit to appease Nexon there could be more devs.

To appease Nexon. You’re apparently not following this game at all, are you? Anet would do NOTHING to appease Nexon. They’ve never done anything TO appease Nexon. Nexon doesn’t like how the game is run and wants changes and Anet refused to make those changes.

A bit more reality and a bit less conspiracy theory is needed on this forum.