Still loving Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Purecura.1795

Purecura.1795

Yup, jus like the title says, iam still very much enjoying the game. The new feature pack does not bother me at all. I have been playing GW2 since Nov 2012, on and off of course. And even though they aren’t really hasty is releasing content that I’d like to see, ( new continents and new class etc…) gW2 is the only MMO where IMO, I feel iam part of a living breathing world. No other game offers me exploration like GW2 does and on top of that, I really take my time leveling a new character. This new patch makes me feel more rewarded when I get to a new level. I never liked the idea of obtaining all the wep skills within 5 levels. That concept felt cheap for me. This new concept I love. It also helps that I like to Role Play my characters, so it makes gameplay even more thrilling. I look forward to what the future holds. I play on the Tarnished Coast server, and I will be making a new character all over again. I have no alts. Iam starting with a blank clean slate. I cannot wait.

P.S: The only major complaint I have is the lack of a trinity. I know ANET wanted to offer something unique but all they created was a game where every profession only has one option…. To DPS. Even though there are conditions, and support builds for certain professions. I still feel as if every class really is not that unique. I hope they add something new to fix this. Who knows.

Lv.80 Chronomancer (Mesmerist Palamecia)
Lv.80 Scrapper (Alchemist Persenia)
Lv.80 Druid (Mender Zalintyre)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

It’s a good game. It really is. I think some of the negativity of the forums can be attributed to the passion people have for it – wanting the best for it and getting very frustrated by missteps and lack of communication.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

It’s a good game. It really is. I think some of the negativity of the forums can be attributed to the passion people have for it – wanting the best for it and getting very frustrated by missteps and lack of communication.

Only that this miscommunication and failures have been happening for a long time now. And at some point the patience is gone.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Only that this miscommunication and failures have been happening for a long time now. And at some point the patience is gone.

That is correct.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

It really is still a great game, no denying that. It’s impossible to satisfy everyone all of the time, and I’ll cut them slack since they managed to fix up past blunders.

Admit it, we ourselves as veteran gamers don’t need tutorials or level-gated skills. But for someone who has never picked up an MMO before, they’d be overwhelmed. The new system has some good points, they just took it way, waaaay too far.

Example: Edna, the NPC famous for her apple pies, no longer sells her recipe, or her pies. Instead, she smacks a pie in your face that gives one stack of might. Come on, really? And a level 2 can’t carry a bucket of water to save the farmer’s bales of hay from burning?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That is correct.

I think people hold Anet to a higher standard than is healthy. It’s one one guy doing something and trying to communicate it. It’s 300 guys doing all sorts of stuff, not even necessarily on the same page.

The point is if we treated family members the way we treated Anet every time they made a mistake, we’d be up on abuse charges. It’s neither reasonable or fair to expect anyone to get everything right, or even communicate well all the time.

As an example, which just got a patch probably 80% of which was good. But the 20% that people don’t like was enough cause to have people calling for firings, boycotts, leaving the game.

Without even waiting for a response from Anet, who said there were bugs. Shrugs.

I don’t find it reasonable.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I love the game. It has plenty of things going for it. The design of the world, is spot on brilliant. It’s such a meticulously detailed world. It’s beautiful. The combat is actually fun and engaging, once you unlock everything. It has the premise of allowing you to make a lot of interesting builds. Although sadly it usually boils down to one thing, damage, damage, damage. I personally enjoyed the stories we’ve gotten. They’re not going to win any rewards perhaps, but they have been entertaining me enough to be interested in the next part. Besides a few blunders like the Mordremoth name drop out of nowhere, I’ve enjoyed it all. I enjoy World vs. World, more so than sPvP, since I have more control over my stats. I do wish Borderlands weren’t just one map copy-pasted twice over with a few different names on the locations though. I enjoy general PvE. The game is great in many ways. But it also has several faults and issues. Overall feeling of being rewarded is one. I finished something, and I get Blue and Green items.. hardly a thing that gets my blood pumping.

This is why I voice my opinions at least, why I imagine most of us voice it. We love the game, and would hate to see it misled into its own demise. We want it to be all the more better for gamers, so that more players stick around, recruit more players, and as a result, earns ArenaNet more money, so they in turn can give us even more fun to be had. It’s a cycle that they don’t seem to understand at times. They need the veterans to be happy, or the new players are just going to leave as they realize we’re not. They can make the initial experience as great as they want. If they don’t fix what is causing players to leave as they each the end of the journey, they’re still going to lose players.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Vayne.8563

Like these guys have said gw2 is a good game but they want it to be better, I personally loved gw1 I think gw1 will go down in history as one of best mmo’s ever made, But I want to see gw2 be bigger and better than gw1, Imo the gw2 devs don’t really seem as passionate for the game as the gw1 devs were, I personally dislike that they keep dumbing the game down making it even more casual and the snail pace release of small bits of content, Maybe I’m the only one who feels this way maybe not, Right now gw2 feels like a good game not a great one like its predecessor and that annoys alot of gw vets, In life when humans are passionate about something they don’t just bottle it all up and stay silent, People come on these forums not to vent but because its the only way they can communicate with the devs so they can tell them about their concerns about where the game is heading.

Do you really equate telling the devs their concerns with what we saw this week after the patch though? That wasn’t a group of people calmly stating objections to a patch. That was a mob using threats and insults to try to get changes made to the game. If there’s a real reason for the reaction I saw, I’d sure like to hear it.

If you love the game, you don’t take the hard work devs made to a patch, which is usually publicity for the game, and drive people away from it. That’s not how you love a game. Telling people to leave, boycott the game etc isn’t the way to talk about things you don’t like.

Sure you’re free to say it. But don’t do that and then claim you love the game.

It’s like saying you love a relative, but threatening to throw them out if they do something you don’t like.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Despite my love of GW2 even after post-patch, I feel like they screwed up on part of it that prevents me from loving the game as much as I did when I first picked it up, in this case the Personal Story. But then again, I would attribute that to major, difficult to reach bugs.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Absconditus.6804

If my relative is doing something I see as being destructive to their lives, such as taking heavy drugs and/or doing crime, I will easily call them stupid for it and wish for them to change the direction they’re taking themselves. Now I’m not saying this patch relates to drugs, nor is it criminal, I’m just saying as an analogy, you can call your relative stupid, even though you love them. You do so because you love them. If it was John from TS, you don’t actually care. Let’s be honest here. Nobody cares about John from TS.

People are vocal about this because they see it as something negative for the game, for the thing they enjoy and love so much. For all the negative feedback, there is a positive side to it as well, the people complaining, are very much invested and in love with the product. Otherwise they’d just drop it and leave without saying a word.

I also think the majority of our little community of forum users here are rather civil overall. We may be calling a company stupid, but that’s the company, we’re not directly assaulting specific developers. “Oh, Colin! You.. just, you! Gosh darn your handsome smile! It’s distracting me from being mad at you! I hate you! Call me.. xoxo” —We are mostly all aware that these decisions are multiple individuals takes and iterations on an idea thought up by multiple people. Not one person is really to blame for something that we dislike. But you’d think someone would say “Isn’t this going to upset x, y or z”?

But yeah, I think although it seems like a weird thing to do, being negative and upset, does still in an underlying way show that we care. That we love the product, and perhaps a tiny bit the company with its handsome men (like Colin) and beautiful women (like Colin) that makes it what it is. It’s easier to see the negativity over the positive sides to something. The same way it’s easier to complain than it is to praise. If we’re not upset and/or “bored”, we don’t tend to use forums, we are busy playing. Praise tends to be more through word of mouth or when telling someone about how much you want them to try out the thing you’re excited for anyways. Or when they do something brilliant, like the Super Adventure Box. The forums was full of praise during the release of that.

Seafarer’s Rest

Vayne.8563

If my relative is doing something I see as being destructive to their lives, such as taking heavy drugs and/or doing crime, I will easily call them stupid for it and wish for them to change the direction they’re taking themselves. Now I’m not saying this patch relates to drugs, nor is it criminal, I’m just saying as an analogy, you can call your relative stupid, even though you love them. You do so because you love them. If it was John from TS, you don’t actually care. Let’s be honest here. Nobody cares about John from TS.

People are vocal about this because they see it as something negative for the game, for the thing they enjoy and love so much. For all the negative feedback, there is a positive side to it as well, the people complaining, are very much invested and in love with the product. Otherwise they’d just drop it and leave without saying a word.

I also think the majority of our little community of forum users here are rather civil overall. We may be calling a company stupid, but that’s the company, we’re not directly assaulting specific developers. “Oh, Colin! You.. just, you! Gosh darn your handsome smile! It’s distracting me from being mad at you! I hate you! Call me.. xoxo” —We are mostly all aware that these decisions are multiple individuals takes and iterations on an idea thought up by multiple people. Not one person is really to blame for something that we dislike. But you’d think someone would say “Isn’t this going to upset x, y or z”?

But yeah, I think although it seems like a weird thing to do, being negative and upset, does still in an underlying way show that we care. That we love the product, and perhaps a tiny bit the company with its handsome men (like Colin) and beautiful women (like Colin) that makes it what it is. It’s easier to see the negativity over the positive sides to something. The same way it’s easier to complain than it is to praise. If we’re not upset and/or “bored”, we don’t tend to use forums, we are busy playing. Praise tends to be more through word of mouth or when telling someone about how much you want them to try out the thing you’re excited for anyways. Or when they do something brilliant, like the Super Adventure Box. The forums was full of praise during the release of that.

Sorry mate, but calling your relative stupid isn’t likely to help a drug problem either. Saying you’re acting in a self-destructive manner is.

Stupid is a thing that lowers one’s moral and has massively negative connotations. Using the word stupid affects someone’s ego and if they are doing drugs, it’s not going to help them stop doing drugs. It’s just reinforcing something they already know. They’re not taking drugs because they’re stupid even if it’s a stupid thing to do. They’re taking drugs because they’re addicted.

So yeah, calling them stupid is not helpful. Calling Anet stupid is also not helpful. Nor is it constructive.

Saying the patches aren’t good is not that same thing as calling devs stupid. It’s not acceptable and it should NEVER be acceptable.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Vayne all you do is argue with people on here, that’s all you do all day.

No, you have it all wrong. He only posts during loading screens between zones in GW2. It’s just a way to pass time during loading screens.

Posted by: NNYinsanenature.5684

NNYinsanenature.5684

Vayne all you do is argue with people on here, that’s all you do all day. I haven’t seen one constructive post from you, Even that little poll you made was for one of your arguments.

Because he would rather nitpick and disagree with everyone on the forums than actually enjoy the game or go outside.

Absconditus.6804

Sorry mate, but you live in a little bubble if you think that’s how the world functions when someone gets upset. You can’t go around cushioning and weighing everything you say, and you quite honestly shouldn’t. “You’re acting in a self-destructive manner”, is barely different to an intelligent being, compared to saying, “Hey.. you’re being plain stupid right now”. I have respect enough for the employees at ArenaNet to not baby them. They’re grown men and women. I expect and believe they are perfectly capable of distancing themselves from negativity directed at the company and/or “devs” as a whole, thereby not taking it personally on a individual mentally scarring level.

We’re not lashing out at Colin personally for having a great smile here, it’s not personal attacks. The company represents the frustration, the “devs” are an objectification of what we are frustrated at. “This patch is stupid”, is not really putting it in kinder words. You’re still saying something the company and/or “devs” has created is stupid, regardless if you direct the phrase to them or the patch itself. Both ways of saying it, is negatively loaded. If the word stupid were to scar them, we would have a lot of scarred people in this world, myself included after having done something that was stupid and being called stupid for it. There’s a difference from challenging someones intelligence by denoting them as stupid, over calling something that’s been done, as stupid. I’ve done stupid things, that doesn’t mean I’m intellectually challenged.

You can dress it up any way you like, if you’re displeased with the direction something is taking, e.g., a certain part of a patch, you will be negative in your feedback. If they can’t look past certain words and ways of phrasing the message, they are in the wrong line of business, that’s for sure. I’ve had far worse directed at me on a personal level, for things I weren’t even involved in and/or had any control over, when I worked for a different company in this industry, than any of the stuff I tend to see (or have ever seen to be quite honest) on these forums. This stuff is mild. You know what I did when people were lashing out and venting their frustrations in my direction? I took note of the underlying message, and didn’t take it as a personal attack.

Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Honestly I don’t think Vayne is all so bad lol he is opinionated just like everyone else. Heck i’ve had my goes with Vayne about things we did not agree on but it was always civil. I understand what people are saying. They are frustrated and want to help make the game better but some are showing that in a very strange way. Love for me is unconditional so if someone I love is doing something I don’t agree with ill let them know but won’t throw them on the street. Ill show them support always but reminding them that I don’t approve I feel that way gets to the person more then throwing them out on the street. What I think Vayne is trying to say is if you love GW so much why would you insult/attack/try to incite riots? Why Stomp your feet and tell everyone to destroy the game if the game is what you love? Lol honestly it is a bit funny because a fews of the complaints people had I also had them too but I did not agree with them (the complainers) because of how they were expressing themselves (aggressive and insulting) The topics that were civil I joined in and voiced my concerns the topic filled with hate id defend the thing that I loved.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

@Absconditus Words do affect people. How many times don’t you read the news or for example dailymail and see stories of kids committing suicide because of being pick on in school etc… Words affect people and how you say things can go a long way. Just because you don’t see the people in forums doesn’t mean their isn’t a person behind that screen name.

Necromancer Main

Vayne.8563

Honestly I don’t think Vayne is all so bad lol he is opinionated just like everyone else. Heck i’ve had my goes with Vayne about things we did not agree on but it was always civil. I understand what people are saying. They are frustrated and want to help make the game better but some are showing that in a very strange way. Love for me is unconditional so if someone I love is doing something I don’t agree with ill let them know but won’t throw them on the street. Ill show them support always but reminding them that I don’t approve I feel that way gets to the person more then throwing them out on the street. What I think Vayne is trying to say is if you love GW so much why would you insult/attack/try to incite riots? Why Stomp your feet and tell everyone to destroy the game if the game is what you love? Lol honestly it is a bit funny because a fews of the complaints people had I also had them too but I did not agree with them (the complainers) because of how they were expressing themselves (aggressive and insulting) The topics that were civil I joined in and voiced my concerns the topic filled with hate id defend the thing that I loved.

It’s okay mate. The more they throw stones at me, the more desperate they look. Because when your only point is defending your right to be rude and insult people, you’re probably wrong. Critiques are not the same as complaints.

As for people who want to talk about my personal life or make judgements about me, go right ahead. I have no problem with it. It’s not making you or your arguments look better to those reading.

And you know the funny bit is, I’m far more aggressive in real life than I am on the forums. I come off as more passive aggressive here, because if I said what I really felt about some of this, I’d have been banned for life a year ago.

Vayne.8563

Vayne all you do is argue with people on here, that’s all you do all day. I haven’t seen one constructive post from you, Even that little poll you made was for one of your arguments.

It’s starting to get a bit tiring vayne.

I think it’s quite constructive when I reposted Colin’s answer to people in a thread in the main page. I think it was constructed when I helped a new person today deal with not being able to get friends on their server. I think it was very constructive when I stop the spread of misinformation.

I think it’s even constructive to stop people from being offensive. Maybe you and I have a different opinion of what is and isn’t constructive.

Posted by: Satay.2967

Satay.2967

I love this game too!

We need to see more Love in the forums. I have reported bugs but overall this may be the greatest playing experience i have had.

Purecura.1795

I love the game. It has plenty of things going for it. The design of the world, is spot on brilliant. It’s such a meticulously detailed world. It’s beautiful. The combat is actually fun and engaging, once you unlock everything. It has the premise of allowing you to make a lot of interesting builds. Although sadly it usually boils down to one thing, damage, damage, damage. I personally enjoyed the stories we’ve gotten. They’re not going to win any rewards perhaps, but they have been entertaining me enough to be interested in the next part. Besides a few blunders like the Mordremoth name drop out of nowhere, I’ve enjoyed it all. I enjoy World vs. World, more so than sPvP, since I have more control over my stats. I do wish Borderlands weren’t just one map copy-pasted twice over with a few different names on the locations though. I enjoy general PvE. The game is great in many ways. But it also has several faults and issues. Overall feeling of being rewarded is one. I finished something, and I get Blue and Green items.. hardly a thing that gets my blood pumping.

This is why I voice my opinions at least, why I imagine most of us voice it. We love the game, and would hate to see it misled into its own demise. We want it to be all the more better for gamers, so that more players stick around, recruit more players, and as a result, earns ArenaNet more money, so they in turn can give us even more fun to be had. It’s a cycle that they don’t seem to understand at times. They need the veterans to be happy, or the new players are just going to leave as they realize we’re not. They can make the initial experience as great as they want. If they don’t fix what is causing players to leave as they each the end of the journey, they’re still going to lose players.

I agree with you on every level. A majority of players hate this new patch, and are truly passionate about this game because it can grow to become so good. They jus need to truly listen to the community and use their intuition in order to deliver wonderful results. I wonder what made them, decide to make the leveling experience as it is?

Posted by: NNYinsanenature.5684

NNYinsanenature.5684

Most likely it’s more NCsoft than ANet regarding the new leveling system and trying to keep new players roped in. Since the publisher has the final say with what goes where in terms of their cash flow.

Purecura.1795

Most likely it’s more NCsoft than ANet regarding the new leveling system and trying to keep new players roped in. Since the publisher has the final say with what goes where in terms of their cash flow.

I wonder if there any statistics to how many new players have been joining GW2 the past few days or even weeks?

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

I have problems with the game and am vocal about it (like traits) but I love the game.

One of the things that I see dissatisfied players do is want the game to fail. I want the game to change in certain ways, such as, again, traits. I don’t see the logic of wishing for the failure of a game that you (the generic “you”) once loved. Why not wish positive change on it?

I want Anet and GW2 to massively succeed.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I was unsatisfied for a while, even reading the announcements for the feature patch, up until week 3, which I expected to be a disappointment, but as I read the announcements that week, it became very apparent to me that Anet does care, and they care a lot.

All this clamoring on the forums is mostly just self-centered, short-sighted players spouting off nonsense because they want all their desires fulfilled right now or they threaten to quit, as if that means anything when there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people logging in every day.

Granted, some of the people posting on here legitimately care about the future of the game and don’t want to see it fail. What they don’t understand is that the game is so far from failing it is laughable to even imply.

Yeah, GW2 isn’t perfect. But if you want to enjoy it, you will, and if you want to hate it, you’ll find no difficulty in doing so. Anet has seen all the cries about them being out of touch, and they’re trying very hard to reconcile that and prove to us that they’re still quite interested in bringing us the best experience possible. If you don’t believe that, you should examine your attitude, or preferably just go find a different game to complain about.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

I’m playing since Release and I still love this game.

But the fact that I love this game doesn’t mean I don’t see what is wrong with parts of it like the dungeons or the Level Gating of some core features. If I critisize a part of GW2 I try to give some suggestions to make this part better in my opinion. I don’t assume that everyone has my opinion and I try not to speak for a majority. And more importantly I don’t insult other players, devs or the choicec they make. Insulting someon is the same like admitting to be defeated in a conversation. Saying that Anet is full of lazy idiots or that they can only screw up break promises etc etc is not only not true but it doesn’t help. The worst thing it can accomplish is to set the devs in a painful silence.

Be constructive with your critizism and don’t insult others. If you want to be heard you have to follow some “rules” otherwise you will be ignored by the ones you are talking to.