Still no Offline Mode before login? Why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mokzie.5178

Mokzie.5178

Q:

Is there a legitimate reason why after all this time there is still no offline mode before login?

I’m glad the zone updating even while in offline mode has been fixed. However, this is the major one.

I cannot fathom why they took off the offline mode selection before logging in that they had in beta.

For the love of the Six, please already.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Not sure why you would post this in the account issues forum, it would be better suited as a suggestion or in the general discussion.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Not sure why you would post this in the account issues forum, it would be better suited as a suggestion or in the general discussion.

I think you are a bit lost

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It was moved. It started over in Account Issues.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

It was moved. It started over in Account Issues.

oh

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This may be a stupid question but what do you mean by offline mode selection?

I’ve been playing since the first public beta (the one after pre-purchase became available) and I remember the old login screen but all it let you do was log in. You couldn’t actually do anything else without connecting to the server. So I’m not sure what it is you’re asking for.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the OP means why can’t we log in invisibly. Much like you could in Guild Wars (One).

I don’t remember ever being able to do so in GW2, Beta or no, but maybe I just have forgotten….

I, too, would like that feature added.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

In the upper left corner of your friendslist is a small dropdown selection that lets you choose whether you are online, afk or offline. In the case of offline, you will not be visible in friends or guild lists, and people will not be able to whisper you or invite you to groups.

As it is now, somebody that has my account in their friends list will get a notify when I come online, then another that I went offline once I switch that selection to offline, but I won’t be able to ide the fact that I’ve come online at all. In the case that you want to come online unnoticed (for a ton of valid reasons) there’s no way to do so because you are shown as online/friends are notified as soon as you log into the launcher.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Ah, I see.

I don’t think I’ve ever used that, or wanted to use it, so I wouldn’t have noticed whether it was possible or not.

But if there’s demand for it then they should add it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Du Bist Schuld.8097

Du Bist Schuld.8097

In the upper left corner of your friendslist is a small dropdown selection that lets you choose whether you are online, afk or offline. In the case of offline, you will not be visible in friends or guild lists, and people will not be able to whisper you or invite you to groups.

As it is now, somebody that has my account in their friends list will get a notify when I come online, then another that I went offline once I switch that selection to offline, but I won’t be able to ide the fact that I’ve come online at all. In the case that you want to come online unnoticed (for a ton of valid reasons) there’s no way to do so because you are shown as online/friends are notified as soon as you log into the launcher.

i can’t remember that i ever got a message that friendXY went online oO
do you have to turn that on or something?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I’m not sure what the chat channel is called (not near my game right now), but it’s the same chat channel that also lists the items you loot. I know I didn’t find it until I saw it on somebody else’s screenshot and went through all the chat channels to find it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’m not sure what the chat channel is called (not near my game right now), but it’s the same chat channel that also lists the items you loot. I know I didn’t find it until I saw it on somebody else’s screenshot and went through all the chat channels to find it.

It’s called game messages.

It will tell you in chat whenever someone on your friend’s list logs in and out. It will also inform you about everything that goes into your inventory. Why they put the 2 features together is a question to ponder at a different time.

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

If you could log in invisibly then how would the 100% rep guilds be able to enforce their rules?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If you could log in invisibly then how would the 100% rep guilds be able to enforce their rules?

I don’t think that should be a concern for ANet. Not when there are legit reasons for logging in invisibly. Such to avoid someone who harasses you in ways that make it next to impossible to report them for griefing. They can’t know where you are or when you get on if you are invisible.

And to me that group trumps the 100% rep guilds.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Isn’t there the thing in Friends List, there left side of your name is selection tab, usually green colored box.

There’s Invisible (Dunno how invisible you are tho, but you don’t get guild messages), Away and Online options to choose from

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: RealBGB.9132

RealBGB.9132

Isn’t there the thing in Friends List, there left side of your name is selection tab, usually green colored box.

There’s Invisible (Dunno how invisible you are tho, but you don’t get guild messages), Away and Online options to choose from

What these guys are talking about is having that ability before you log in to the server so that you are never shown “online”. As it is now, when you do it the way you stated, you are auto online until you change to offline/invisible. It doesnt stay on when you log back off.

Its okay to be a little Goofy

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

There should be a way to truly hide from everyone when you login. I have a lot of people that friend me and sometimes I just want to do my own thing and not talk to them.

The Burninator

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I did use the feature in Guild Wars.
Though I imagine when you get right down to it – maybe they don’t feel like you should have friends/guilds on your lists that you want to skulk around and hide from to such an extreme degree.
As for “followers” – Block the worst of the lot and go “offline” once you’re in game for the rest of them that bother you but aren’t so bad to block entirely.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver