Still no quick build switch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

4 years on.

C’mon, even APB: Reloaded had one of these from day 1.

I get the feeling the company really isn’t all that interested in this game anymore.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Give us just a rudimentary Addon-API and some one will churn out that 15min later, if it is too much work.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Certain things about the way this game is managed are unreal. Like not having a public test realm to test patches before live.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Certain things about the way this game is managed are unreal. Like not having a public test realm to test patches before live.

One of the major reasons for not having a test server is the economy. This game is supported by the living economy. One problem would be those people playing on the test server would see things that could be used in influence the economy. Another issue would be that everyone and there brother would be sharing information with people not on the test server, youtube and such. This would ruin any mystery /hype that Anet wants to save for the actual release.

As far as I am concerned and would think many others see it the same way. With the sheer size of this game Anet has done a great job with releases. No matter what game you play there will all ways be bug and problems. Anet is just really good at following up with very quick patches/fixes and keeping us playing.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A test realm is a particularly undeserved example of “unreal game management”. There are all sorts of reasons why public testing is an inefficient use of developer time. There’s no doubt that some bugs would be caught, but those are unlikely to be enough to make it worth all the extra trouble of maintaining the extra versions of the game, slowing the overall release process, and dealing with all the potential exploits (including economic ones, as noted above) as well as gameplay.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: even APB: Reloaded had one of these from day 1 – Never mind APB: Reloaded, the original Guild Wars games had features for multiple(4) swappable weapons sets and saving, loading, and sharing of builds.( Builds could be saved as plain text files, which could be saved, reloaded, uploaded, downloaded, emailed, backed up, etc…)
It didn’t save your armor configuration, and it wasn’t perfect.(for example you had to have the right weapon and secondary class equipped for the build to load properly) But it was far better than what we have now, which is nothing.
I think that Anet is probably over-complicating this. I wouldn’t mind if it saved/loaded builds and gear separately, for example. Instead of making something super-complicated and all-encompassing, which will never be ready. I’d rather we had a couple of basic, functional utilities to work with. Maybe added with the next expansion.(Instead of some uber-thing that will never be released)

<edit: wording>

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Certain things about the way this game is managed are unreal.

As a partial quote, I can completely agree. There seem to be several ways that we could ‘save’ builds that wouldn’t require much coding:

• Save just an image — we’d still have to manually recreate it; this would allow us to simplify the process.
  • Save a link: if gw2skills.net can do it, why can’t ANet?
  • Load just traits: even if this was only possible in a limited number of zones (cities, lobbies, GH, home instances), it would still be very useful.

A lot of times, things are actually a lot more trouble to code than the community thinks. However, other times, ANet seems to go out of its way to delay the practical in favor of attempting to implement the ideal.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

A lot of times, things are actually a lot more trouble to code than the community thinks. However, other times, ANet seems to go out of its way to delay the practical in favor of attempting to implement the ideal.

Or, by my impression, this studio simply excels at ignoring QoL requests, beyond anything i’ve witnessed in 20 years MMO gaming.
I’d certainly like to understand why.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Or, by my impression, this studio simply excels at ignoring QoL requests, beyond anything i’ve witnessed in 20 years MMO gaming.
I’d certainly like to understand why.

are you for real? qol changes in this game are leaps ahead of anything else ive played.

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

Would like to see a build save switch. They have a similar type system in pvp already (think the preset builds in your build tab), so at least some of the coding is already there.

I don’t necessarily want a switch that swaps equipment, but having a spec build swap out of combat would be great. I think this would be a decent balance, in that letting you hotswitch the skill side of your build without the equipment would allow people to adapt to the situation at hand without being too overpowered (ie, basically running around with 2 or 3 full buildouts at you fingertips).

Failing that, yes, a simple full build swap in cities or home or something would be nice.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I dunno. I can see where this would be exploited – wvw roaming. imagine facing off vs someone, they run away to swap to a build that counters yours, so you start doing it. pretty soon everyone is doing it and no one gets fights because everyone is too busy swapping builds to actually fight. with out a build swap we can expect people to fight to the death, if they are looking for fights that is.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

priorities! gotta churn out more outfit$!
screw the things you want!

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

A test realm is a particularly undeserved example of “unreal game management”. There are all sorts of reasons why public testing is an inefficient use of developer time. There’s no doubt that some bugs would be caught, but those are unlikely to be enough to make it worth all the extra trouble of maintaining the extra versions of the game, slowing the overall release process, and dealing with all the potential exploits (including economic ones, as noted above) as well as gameplay.

Not so much for bugs, more for collection of feedback as part of balance iteration. Of course, their balance iteration is slow and kind of terrible, so I suppose that kind of diminishes the purpose.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)