Stop Gating Collections Behind Event Fails

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

@ ANET – You need to stop putting collections items behind events that need failure to receive them. It’s even worse now since map rewards are received for doing events. You want to reward people for completing events but screw over people needing collection items? How the KITTEN am I suppose to do a collection gated by event failure if people are constantly completing events? Why do I have to constantly yell out “I need collection item. Let it fail. Let it fail. STOOOOOOOP PLEEEEASE!” just to be completely ignored and after waiting 45 minutes for something to spawn just to be screwed over and over and over by randoms.

Stop gating events behind events that need to be failed.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I would think it would be preferable to encourage the success of events.

Not the other way around.

Posted by: Krikett.5298

Krikett.5298

We spent so much time trying to do this tonight and inconvenienced so many people. This is absolutely ridiculous design, we have to fight people constantly or pay them off to not be kittens and kill the Risen Priestess of Lyssa, while waiting for a random event to start. After spending so much time and arguing with everyone on the map we had NOTHING to show for it because the event is random and only has a chance of spawning the champion wraith we need to complete part four of the H.O.P.E. collection. I don’t know how to describe the disappointment and resentment my group had for this collection, we’ll unfortunately have to try again tomorrow, pay more people off, and fail miserably because we want to partake in content we were advertised with this expansion. As an aside, Karka Queen is still bugged and not giving her magic when you use the Dwarven Spell Trap before killing her.

Posted by: DrKillShotPHD.3706

DrKillShotPHD.3706

Same problem, cursed shore map bonus currently has very high valued rewards and i need the arah defense event to fail. But of course everyone in map chat tells me to pipe down and let them get their loot. What about those of us who NEED specific events to complete these precursors? Yeah its a surefire way to get what i need, but i dont have the time, nor do i want to spend all of my play time on a map waiting for the event i need that may never come because no other players care about my need for an event that only comes about when they fail. Would love a dev comment on this or something. Maybe making some of these requirements having multiple ways of completion? Allow credit for attacking and/or defending certain events?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Hey hey! Woah there Celtic Lady. We can’t have people going around and just spouting off logic and common sense here. This is the GW2 forum you know.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Celtic Lady.3729

Hey hey! Woah there Celtic Lady. We can’t have people going around and just spouting off logic and common sense here. This is the GW2 forum you know.

Yeah, you’re right. My bad.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

But ANet is doing both at the same time. When you put up signs telling people to drive on the right side of the road while putting up other signs telling people to drive on the left side, you can expect blood and twisted metal all over the highways. I think we can thank our lucky stars that the people at ANet went into game design rather than traffic planning.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

That is, of course, the point of the thread.

#FurtherRestatingTheObvious

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

This is what happens when you have people program a game in sections- they will have selected an event out of a list and tied your needed reward to the event without even checking the event chain.

Then a lack of quality control or proper testing, and hey presto, you require events to fail to trigger the event that was assigned to that collection.

How long until they get around to fixing it (ie, attaching it to another event where they actually check first) is anybody’s guess.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

If they gated it behind TD meta failing then this thread would be moot, just sayin.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Celtic Lady.3729

If they gated it behind TD meta failing then this thread would be moot, just sayin.

Yeah, well, that’s one of the only things they could have used for failure where people would have had a decent shot at getting what they need.

But again, you’d think regardless of the department they work in, a game developer in general (even a bad one) would know how ridiculous this kind of gimmick in a game like GW2 would be.

Posted by: Acratin.3910

Acratin.3910

Took me days to get the loot I needed for part 1 of zap. The time of day made a difference. So did asking my guild to keep eyes open. Definitely hard though.

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

yeah. I started trying 4 days ago for Wraith at Union. I’ve been through 3 different IP’s and leave 2 alts sitting in 2 different IP’s I’d say about 12 hours each day. Plus, the hours spent trying to get other events to fail. This mechanic is awful and just plain stupid.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Yeah, well, that’s one of the only things they could have used for failure where people would have had a decent shot at getting what they need.

But again, you’d think regardless of the department they work in, a game developer in general (even a bad one) would know how ridiculous this kind of gimmick in a game like GW2 would be.

It was not meant in seriousness, unless of course you take it as being serous that the dev team should have not included this mechanic. A fail mechanic for a prize in an MMO where you have no choice but to play with others, makes for very unfriendly game play.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

It was not meant in seriousness, unless of course you take it as being serous that the dev team should have not included this mechanic. A fail mechanic for a prize in an MMO where you have no choice but to play with others, makes for very unfriendly game play.

Exactly. But the unforgivable part is that the devs already knew this. For three years the Malchor’s and CS maps have resounded with the cry “let it fail!” whenever a temple defense event begins, followed by the same old arguments. The devs have had to revise more than one event because of fail farming (Coiled Watch being an especially egregious example) and the toxicity it was causing. For the devs to turn around and do the same thing again — in spades, with branching events all over Tyria, despite all this history — makes my eyes bulge, my jaw drop, and my hair stand on end. It is the perfect illustration of the old definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

But there’s nothing so bad that it can’t be made worse. When they added all the inducements for events to fail, they also added the map reward system to encourage other players to let no event fail. “I don’t care if skipping this event will give me three other events in a few minutes! I don’t want to wait a few minutes. I want my Giant Eye NOW!” It is the Daily Event system writ large, extended to every map 24×7.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Couldnt agree more. Events shoud be ment to suceed. I think most of us have seen, by now, what toxic enviroment it can be when some ppl want to make events fail and others not…..

Kima & Co

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Came into this Topic to +1 it but saw I already +1’d it. So I’ll just post this here as a +2.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

Failing events for the sake of getting a reward just feels very backward and counterproductive to the spirit of an adventure mmo. I suppose it would be possible to fail IF you’re on a low population map, oh but AN tries to push players onto fewer and high population maps. smh… all i can say to AN.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

Just did Teq yet again, first map had people that killed to fast, loaded onto another map, had people that couldn’t even get him below %90

GG Anet, Watery Grave is where you guys should send your precursor crafting to.

Only an actual idiot would have thought that crafting a precursor should include failing events.

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

I particularly enjoyed the irony in nerfing event chains that people failed intentionally to get more loot with the statement: “It’s bad m’kay?” and then placing several collection items in loot tables you can only access when an event fails.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt