Stop Making Outfits

Stop Making Outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Well, people keep buying them so they’ll just keep being made. Next up they’ll make it where you can get them IN-GAME! (too late a halloween outfit can be bought with candy corn cobs.)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

“No one has ever said it would be easy to make an armor set.”

Actually someone did
“I actually think this is the best practical solution. A single designer could probably pump out at least a ‘new’ converted armor set per week."

Yes and we all know of course that ‘easy’ directly relates to ‘time needed’. I could give you the most easiest task there is in the world but it could take ages to do it or I could give you the most annoying and mind destroying thing to do that is over within an hour.

Currently a full set of armor takes 9 months. An outfit, much less. They put out a new outfit every few months.

Why does it take so much less time to do an outfit? That’s the question you should ask. And the answer was basically: “because armor needs to be adjusted for every gender and race. And because armor needs 3 different armor types. And because of reasons we can’t explain to you.”

The first one does not make any sense. The second problem could be avoided through only making those armor sets where style and connection points would fit and through only having one appearance across all available armor types.
Are you telling me that I am wrong?

So if they can create an outfit in a few months and convert it to armor a week later then that’s far faster than 9 months, and therefore easy to create armor.

I said it would be faster. Way faster than completely create an armor from scratch since we already have a good amount of work done.

….We were told but you don’t believe them, the reasons stated were wrong…..

I told you exactly why the given reasons were wrong. If you just want to believe stuff that does not make any sense it’s your own decision. But don’t blame me for not accepting it.

Basically you’re calling them liars or incompetent when you say that the reasons given as to why it takes so long are incorrect. …..

I told you exactly that I think that this was either a standard answer that you would get from any company that just wants to answer an annoying generic question. Call that lying if you want.

I also told you that the question that was asked was probably to generic and does not apply to the very specific question I would’ve asked.

I also wrote numerous times that I think it’s not a technical problem but something that the design team does not want to see implemented, for whatever reasons.

Anyways I am getting bored writing always the same things.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I also said that I do not believe that the answer that was given, “it’s too hard to do” was correct. We already know that half of the reasosn were wrong when we were told that armor sets in comparison to outfits need to be made for every race/gender.

Right, I don’t believe the “too hard to do” answer either because it’s not too hard, it just might not be cost effective or even smart to do because of the amount of work involved. That doesn’t mean it’s too hard…

Which is why they’ve never said it was “too hard;” they’ve only said it wasn’t cost effective.

This.

They have the talent.
They have the tools.

Its a matter of whether or not the ROI would be sufficient compared to spending the same resources elsewhere.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

A simple solution that would make a lot of players happy and wouldn’t add to the workload for the devs on creating new outfits.

BREAK OUTFITS INTO PIECES!

Yup… simple as that… break outfits into pieces, let us mix’n’match outfits, allow armor parts to show for any outfit slot that is left empty, or even just add the outfit parts as universal armor skins.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

A simple solution that would make a lot of players happy and wouldn’t add to the workload for the devs on creating new outfits.

Yup… simple as that… break outfits into pieces, let us mix’n’match outfits, allow armor parts to show for any outfit slot that is left empty, or even just add the outfit parts as universal armor skins.

Read the thread. This has been suggested but I’m not sure why you think it is a “simple” solution.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Sell the armor pieces at 3 times their actual value. It will still be more probable that I buy them than any outfit.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Outfits broken into pieces are called armor pieces. All the issues that pertain to outfits being more efficient to produce apply; this isn’t a new idea and it certainly doesn’t address the core issues involved.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Stop Making Outfits

Panda.1967

Read the thread. This has been suggested but I’m not sure why you think it is a “simple” solution.

I did read the thread, and I also read all the posts from the same few people who cant seem to wrap their head around the fact that breaking outfits into piecss doesn’t automatically mean they have to have all the extra work that armor requires. Not to mention the fact that many outfits already have several of the breakpoints built in given how they react to the hide helm, gloves, and shoulders selections.

Outfits broken into pieces are called armor pieces. All the issues that pertain to outfits being more efficient to produce apply; this isn’t a new idea and it certainly doesn’t address the core issues involved.

Making outfits in pieces is a lot less work than creating new armor sets.

The main reason armor sets take so much longer is that they have to make 6 new sets every time (one per gender per armor class) and then adjust them all to fit every bodyshape and race. Each armor class has specific design elements that they insist must be adhered to, and the meshes must be weighted to the appropriate materials.

Outfits however allow them to ignore armor classes and just make one look for male and one for female. They still have to adjust to fit every bodyshape and race but this time its only 2 sets instead of 6. The design element restrictions are completely lifted, and the material weights are less resrictive.

The only thing that would be different from how theh currently do outfits is that instead of porting the entire mesh as one item they would assign each segment to differnt items. Its realistically an extra 30 minutes of work (I do model work and programming myself, I can assure you 100% thats all the time it would take)… and a new icon for each piece (this is the only real time consuming part.)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Except since Outfits are a different weight than either Heavy, Medium, or Light, they could not be mixed with Heavy, Medium or Light Armor. That leaves…well, Outfits.

Stop Making Outfits

Panda.1967

Except since Outfits are a different weight than either Heavy, Medium, or Light, they could not be mixed with Heavy, Medium or Light Armor. That leaves…well, Outfits.

So not true… the weights have no baring on what can and can’t be mixed. All the weights affect is how the physics engine interacts with the mesh. A light cloth armor would be weighted to be very flowy and float a bit in motion while heavy plate armor would be more rigid and direct in motion. Weights very well can be mixed, in fact they are mixed on various outfits (and even some armors). Weights also translate to what parts of the armor mesh moves with what bone-nodes in the model skeleton rigging. All of which is to be perfectly honest, universal across all armor classes. The only thing that ANet differentiates between with weights on armor classes is the physics interactions, but that’s due to aesthetics. Afterall heavy armor shouldn’t just look like heavy armor, it should move like it too.

When I said outfits are less restrictive on weights, I really meant just that. They are free to design outfits for whatever material weight they wish with no restriction based on the armor class. This fact wouldn’t change.

Infact, there are several armor parts in the game already that can be used across all armor classes. These parts have identical weights across all armor classes. They do not interact with the physics engine any differently on a light armor class than they do on a heavy armor class. They do not interact with the skeleton any differently either. Weight really is the least important barrier in this entire debate. So unimportant that it (forgive the pun) holds no weight.

Sectioning out outfits allows them to continue to focus on making outfits rather than armor as it’s still the simpler option, while simultaneously appeasing the playerbase as a whole. Players who enjoy outfits still get their outfits, players who want more armors to mix-n-match can now mix-n-match with outfit parts. Everyone wins.

(edited by Panda.1967)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

OP THANK YOU!!! this is one of the reasons I kinda stop playing “Note not the reason but a small part of the reason” I’m sorry the last 3 or 5 outfits is kittens for not being armor I mean there just simple suites, I thought outfits would be just that outfits, not outfits that look like armor that we should mix and match… as a player a big thing is having characters that act, look and play how I want them too.

Another thing all the MMOs I played in the past made armor sets without a problem but Anet is acting like making armor sets is a new thing and that it takes up five departments with 10 people per department with 12months just to make up 1 piece of armor, I’m sorry but in history of MMORPGs I have never heard of this problem before and I been playing MMOs since 1999 with the og eq, I just don’t understand how a successful with a flawless beginning game like this in an Industry That has a standard character customization would have problems creating armor set.

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

(edited by vonbladewing.5973)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So not true… the weights have no baring on what can and can’t be mixed. All the weights affect is how the physics engine interacts with the mesh. A light cloth armor would be weighted to be very flowy and float a bit in motion while heavy plate armor would be more rigid and direct in motion. Weights very well can be mixed, in fact they are mixed on various outfits (and even some armors). Weights also translate to what parts of the armor mesh moves with what bone-nodes in the model skeleton rigging. All of which is to be perfectly honest, universal across all armor classes. The only thing that ANet differentiates between with weights on armor classes is the physics interactions, but that’s due to aesthetics. Afterall heavy armor shouldn’t just look like heavy armor, it should move like it too.

When I said outfits are less restrictive on weights, I really meant just that. They are free to design outfits for whatever material weight they wish with no restriction based on the armor class. This fact wouldn’t change.

Infact, there are several armor parts in the game already that can be used across all armor classes. These parts have identical weights across all armor classes. They do not interact with the physics engine any differently on a light armor class than they do on a heavy armor class. They do not interact with the skeleton any differently either. Weight really is the least important barrier in this entire debate. So unimportant that it (forgive the pun) holds no weight.

Sectioning out outfits allows them to continue to focus on making outfits rather than armor as it’s still the simpler option, while simultaneously appeasing the playerbase as a whole. Players who enjoy outfits still get their outfits, players who want more armors to mix-n-match can now mix-n-match with outfit parts. Everyone wins.

Odd, I can’t mix any Heavy Armor with Light or Medium. I guess the Devs were mistaken when they stated Outfits were another weight, and couldn’t be mixed…not to mention the problem with the different dye channels.

I’m sure the Devs will consider your feedback, and give it the attention it deserves.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

“No one has ever said it would be easy to make an armor set.”

Actually someone did
“I actually think this is the best practical solution. A single designer could probably pump out at least a ‘new’ converted armor set per week."

Yes and we all know of course that ‘easy’ directly relates to ‘time needed’. I could give you the most easiest task there is in the world but it could take ages to do it or I could give you the most annoying and mind destroying thing to do that is over within an hour.

Currently a full set of armor takes 9 months. An outfit, much less. They put out a new outfit every few months.

Why does it take so much less time to do an outfit? That’s the question you should ask. And the answer was basically: “because armor needs to be adjusted for every gender and race. And because armor needs 3 different armor types. And because of reasons we can’t explain to you.”

The first one does not make any sense. The second problem could be avoided through only making those armor sets where style and connection points would fit and through only having one appearance across all available armor types.
Are you telling me that I am wrong?

So if they can create an outfit in a few months and convert it to armor a week later then that’s far faster than 9 months, and therefore easy to create armor.

I said it would be faster. Way faster than completely create an armor from scratch since we already have a good amount of work done.

….We were told but you don’t believe them, the reasons stated were wrong…..

I told you exactly why the given reasons were wrong. If you just want to believe stuff that does not make any sense it’s your own decision. But don’t blame me for not accepting it.

Basically you’re calling them liars or incompetent when you say that the reasons given as to why it takes so long are incorrect. …..

I told you exactly that I think that this was either a standard answer that you would get from any company that just wants to answer an annoying generic question. Call that lying if you want.

I also told you that the question that was asked was probably to generic and does not apply to the very specific question I would’ve asked.

I also wrote numerous times that I think it’s not a technical problem but something that the design team does not want to see implemented, for whatever reasons.

Anyways I am getting bored writing always the same things.

All boils down to are you willing to leave all the skins you have up untill they start doing this in the dust?

Since this will create a whole new type of armor skins that wont be able to be mix and matched with the older pieces? ( They have stated that medium light and heavy dont have the same riging points so cant be mix and matched we got no clue if the cut up outfit armor pieces will have the same riging points as any of them either, I would guess 1 if we are lucky.)

(edited by Linken.6345)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

I think u are missing the core issue … everything has a butt cape ! … but there is no cape in the game !
less butt capes more customization and item pieces … like normal capes.

how it happens I don’t care shut up and take my money !

Stop Making Outfits

Panda.1967

Odd, I can’t mix any Heavy Armor with Light or Medium. I guess the Devs were mistaken when they stated Outfits were another weight, and couldn’t be mixed…not to mention the problem with the different dye channels.

I’m sure the Devs will consider your feedback, and give it the attention it deserves.

That is not how weights work. I explained in my post how they function. I’ve worked with model weights for projects before. They have no baring on what can and cant be used together. The reason you can’t mix armors of different classes is because of an arbitrary restriction put in place by ANet in the games coding itself to create class identities. A restriction that no one here is arguing to be removed either.

Armors would remain untouched.
Outfits would STILL BE outfits.

The only change would be that instead of 1 outfit slot, you would have 6 slots to mix-n-match with. If you want to mix armor classes then thats a whole different argument and could be accomplished with just a few changes to the code.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

/em receives sudden inspiration

What about a size slider for buttcapes?
Scale it all up and all those wanna-be superheroes get their capes, scale all the way down and you don’t have to suffer the sight anymore.

Admit, it is more likely to happen than identifying AN’s buttcape fetishist and convincing him/her to see a therapist.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That is not how weights work. I explained in my post how they function. I’ve worked with model weights for projects before. They have no baring on what can and cant be used together. The reason you can’t mix armors of different classes is because of an arbitrary restriction put in place by ANet in the games coding itself to create class identities. A restriction that no one here is arguing to be removed either.

The only change would be that instead of 1 outfit slot, you would have 6 slots to mix-n-match with. If you want to mix armor classes then thats a whole different argument and could be accomplished with just a few changes to the code.

ANet said mixing and matching isn’t something that can be easily done. They described the different weight classes as having fundamentally incompatible components.

Source

….there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece). There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together….

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’d be pretty happy if they’d like us pick some old mix-n-match pieces that looked perfectly fine together and have them stitch them together into outfits.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I’m fine with outfits, I just wish they’d allow more hidden parts, like the shoulders on some outfits. Raiment of the lich and the Dynamic’s Exo-suit floaty bits could fall under this.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

@Panda:
When someone in these forums talks about “armor weight” they are NOT refering to specific materials, animation or models, but to that arbitrary separation between armor types (Heavy, Medium and Light), that Anet put in place in the first place and which we don’t know how complex or possible to change is.

I doubt there could be anyone more happy than me if Anet stop doing Outfits to invest those resources in doing more mix’n match style armor pieces. But my wishes doesn’t change the reality that the only ones with enough knowledge and involvement to determine how difficult really is to make an armor vs an outfit are Anet developers.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

stop driving gem sales.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

stop driving gem sales.

You mean, don’t let the company make any money to pay their employees to work on the game?

SBI

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

stop driving gem sales.

You mean, don’t let the company make any money to pay their employees to work on the game?

I don’t purchase outfits because I prefer to mix-and-match. That doesn’t mean that I don’t help support the game – I purchase armor skins and other things that I do like from the gem store.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

ANet said mixing and matching isn’t something that can be easily done. They described the different weight classes as having fundamentally incompatible components.

Source

….there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece). There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together….

That was a total cop out explanation on the Dev’s part, because it implies either incompetence in engine architecture or incompetence in their programmers. The only way this would be an irrevocable truth is if everything in the engine was bespoke… which has been shown to be true in some areas, but not in others. However, the Engine is now doing a laundry list of things previous claimed to be “impossible” due to engine limitations; and have been constantly experimenting with new game logic to support new mechanics, all in the interest of improving content.

The Skins aren’t the problem, its how shader properties are linked to items (which all point to material properties in that quote) . All of which can be ignored, since Outfits have already proven to get around this problem by bypassing the legacy code in question.

Stop Making Outfits

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Source

That was a total cop out explanation on the Dev’s part, because it implies either incompetence in engine architecture or incompetence in their programmers. The only way this would be an irrevocable truth is if everything in the engine was bespoke… which has been shown to be true in some areas, but not in others. However, the Engine is now doing a laundry list of things previous claimed to be “impossible” due to engine limitations; and have been constantly experimenting with new game logic to support new mechanics, all in the interest of improving content.

The Skins aren’t the problem, its how shader properties are linked to items (which all point to material properties in that quote) . All of which can be ignored, since Outfits have already proven to get around this problem by bypassing the legacy code in question.

Dev says one thing. Random forum person who has no access to code and no knowledge of the problems says it’s not true.

Who to believe?

It’s a mystery.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)