Stop Unisexing Charr and Asura

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Candy.6835

Candy.6835

Seriously stop it. I’m tired of having only male options. If you’re going to Unisex EVERYTHING for charr and asura then at least unisex the female version. I’m TIRED of only having the male options (for major example is the Carapace outfit, I LOVE the butterflies for shoulder armor BUT because I’m an asura I only get male stuff.

If Asura/charr don’t care what type of armor they’re wearing then Unisex the female version too (or Choose the female version instead of the male to move over). I’m tired of pants or pant/skirts. I want dresses and other lovely things.

If them being male/female DIDN’T matter their swimsuits/undergarments would not be covering what they do on the females so give us options.

I’m just getting really tired of this. You know how many actual dresses Asura have options to? Like 3 for armor skins.

Out of HOW MANY armor skins? It’s seriously lacking.

Posted by: ainekitten.9517

ainekitten.9517

AGREED! I want my cute girly Asura mesmer to actually look cute and girly

Rata Sum = Mursaat
Wake up, Tyria!

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well there could at least be some more differences in outfits. afaik T3 light (asura) is the only armor that has some difference between male and female.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Candy.6835

I just saw a very lovely dataminded outfit that’ll be coming out. I was super excited about it…

…till they got to the asura.

I just want to cry that this seems to be flying OVER anet’s head. If you must only move one of the skin looks/outfits over to asura/charr PICK the female every once and a while.

Not male NEARLY EVERY TIME. I’m tired of not being represented as an option for asura.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Agreed. Unisex should not = male… Mens clothing is not any more unisex than womens clothing.

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

And you guys make it twice as hard for those of us making ascended/have ascended armor to switch between characters. One set that looks awesome on a human female will look terrible on an asura

3 dresses? I think you are being generous. When it comes to light armor, a female asura has at most the winged pants for a ‘dress’ look. There are a few others but they are either half dress and half pants or just don’t look nice.

Yeah the winter’s outfit is cute and all but sometimes you want to have a nice armor set and different dye pallet than just the 4 of an outfit.

Candy.6835

winged, TA dungeon armor, Arah Dungeon armor are all full out dresses.

It’s still very tiny compared to all the pants/pantskirts we have an option of.

rabidsmiles.5926

Oh just want I wanted…my asura to look like a Sylvari with the TA stuff…or a scruffy skirt with the Arah. /sigh

I never consider those two because I don’t like the style so I am left with the winged. I wish that the Cabalist legs were like the humans, with that adorable bow in the back and a big poofy skirt but instead it looks like all the other tribal/weird desert outfits.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Yah, no. The reason they don’t use the female version is because neither the Asura nor Charr have breasts, so they’d have to change the model to use the female version anyway. And if they were going to change the model like that, then they should just make a custom set for those races rather than just slapping the human version on with little to no adjustments.

Which would be great, don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see more effort put into the armor models for Charr and Asura. But just saying “use the female model instead” is silly.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Hahahaha classy, first they want equality, then they want pretty frilly things to wear in the battlefield (I’m female btw – so don’t yell too much).

You know, if I was your azura or your charr, and you’d dress me up in a dress, and send me jumping down cliffs and running over rivers and hills, I’d just turn around and punch you in the face. :P

Let me edit this abit: however there’s plenty outfits already that are girly and revealing and all that, plenty plenty, and please lets not take that even further out of the realm of the believable. I see rangers in miniskirts bounding about already and it makes me gag.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I bet if aliens came to earth, some people would expect the female members to wear dresses and be cute.

Charr and Asuran are alien, non human species and in Tyrian lore, neither value dressing to display their “femininity”.

Imo it was a mistake for ANet to make dresses for either species as it doesn’t fit the lore.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Candy.6835

If they can’t move over a female outfit without changing the breast area to fit correctly then they need to rethink about how they’re designing female outfits around breasts. They also have to move and ajust for the male armor to fit it to charr asura. They can take the extra time and alter the female top.

Equality means OPTIONS based on preference, not gender. I want more then 3 skirts for my asura. I have plenty of pants and pant/skirts to cough at but if I want a dress? I have 3 armor sets and ONE outfit (the wintersday). Considering how many pants we have and how FEW we have for asura that needs to change for options sake.

And Gimli there are options if your HUMONIOD. If you’re asura or charr your options are severely almost comically limited. You obviously haven’t paid attention to what the charr/asura wear with that comment. You’ll notice a lot of asura wear TA because it’s one of the only options for asura when it comes to skirts.

I want my asura to have cute frilly stuff. I wanted the butterfly shoulders but since asura get male only (and for some odd reason males don’t want a butterfly on their shoulder) so I will never see that armor set.

edit: if we can have characters named Naruto kicks kitten as a name lore isn’t nearly as much of a problem as you think.

rabidsmiles.5926

I was irrationally upset the day I got those shoulders and found out that my asura mesmer wouldn’t have the butterfly on her shoulder. They get that tiny nub of a piece of armor…and the human female gets this glorious butterfly

I get it, they don’t want to slap breasts on a small race and have people throwing the around bad terms at the game. But kitten it, give my female asura some skirts!

Astral Projections.7320

This is kind of an interesting article for those who want to read it. It’s about gender inequality in armor more than this Charr/Asuran issue, though it touches on it. http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/30/flameseeker-chronicles-guild-wars-2s-gender-divide/

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

And you guys make it twice as hard for those of us making ascended/have ascended armor to switch between characters. One set that looks awesome on a human female will look terrible on an asura

3 dresses? I think you are being generous. When it comes to light armor, a female asura has at most the winged pants for a ‘dress’ look. There are a few others but they are either half dress and half pants or just don’t look nice.

Yeah the winter’s outfit is cute and all but sometimes you want to have a nice armor set and different dye pallet than just the 4 of an outfit.

I agree but you can still make your asura girl look like a girl if u play around with wardrobe a bit. I mean you have to admit, my asura engi here looks pretty much like a girl. But yea dresses options are almost non-existent.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

I too want my little Asura girl to wear more feminine armor. I was kind of kittened when I got her to 80 and started looking at armor choices (she’s a guardian). Can someone please explain to me why without her armor, her non existent, non nippled breast is covered by that strange looking one-piece, but the pit fighter, gladiator, and barbaric armor seem downright scandalous?

Edit: I forgot scallywag armor. Two crossed leather straps. O.o

(edited by Mojo Gris Gris.5941)

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Aside from bossoms, I think they go with male sets because they’re designed more around functionality. Most of the feminine armors lose significant functionality for sexuality, which I’m pretty sure the charr and asura appropriately view as ridiculous.

Non-sexualized feminine elements, (which are sadly rare), shouldn’t be fully left out, though. Building a charr or asura set by mixing pieces of male and female armor should be well within the scope of the game. Yes, that includes butterflies.

I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Joanna d’Arc wasn’t fighting in bikini, neither should Charr.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

Is that why there is no butterfly on my asuran carapace shoulders? Wow. It’s a separate piece, why should it be a “male” skin. My asuran is the one that I actually WANTED the butterfly shoulders…looks dumb on my norn and human.

PLUS, why can’t males have the butterflies? There are plenty of skins that are “masculine.” I can imagine a few guys out there are wishing they had butterflies on the carapace piece.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Ah the old clothing subject. Anet has never and never will discuss this subject openly.
Their mind is set on skirt pants and trench coats. Good luck with this thread.
And don’t forget your thick wallet for outfits and armor that cost money that is a priority.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There used to be a male and female version of the Asura T3 light, the armor Zojja wears. The differences were minor but they were there.

And when players complained about clipping problems with the female version, ANet removed it.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I bet if aliens came to earth, some people would expect the female members to wear dresses and be cute.

Charr and Asuran are alien, non human species and in Tyrian lore, neither value dressing to display their “femininity”.

Imo it was a mistake for ANet to make dresses for either species as it doesn’t fit the lore.

But it still makes no sense for them to wear clothes that adhere to a human definition of “masculinity” either. If someone is to be unisex then it has to be designed that way, this is not an instance of this.

Astral Projections.7320

But it still makes no sense for them to wear clothes that adhere to a human definition of “masculinity” either. If someone is to be unisex then it has to be designed that way, this is not an instance of this.

They have their own cultural outfits that don’t show the difference between male and female, at least not with frilly dresses. Both species value other tokens of female/male differences that are outside of the human sex differentiation. The limitations of the game requires them to be able to use all armor besides just their cultural armor but lore wise, putting either in a dress doesn’t fit.

ANet had to make the practical choice of choosing male armor for both to fit best how these 2 different (from humans) perceive the sexes and what they wear that reflects that. Obviously in a perfect world they would not be wearing human armor at all but ANet had to fit it within the limitations of the game.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Actually humans are the aliens in Tyrian lore

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

rabidsmiles.5926

Yes but they could have easily went the other direction and said that ALL asura dress more like how we humans would describe as being ‘girly’ but this game is made by mostly men and is for mostly male players (its a MMO…we all know this is true) and the majority of them wouldn’t play an asura in a dress. So they still made the decision based off how we perceive maleness and femaleness.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

No.

Either allow both sexes to wear both versions of armor for all races (which is twice as much work for each set of armor), or don’t change a thing.

I do NOT want my asura and charr females to dress up according to human standards of a specific culture.

It’s a breath of fresh air to have non-human fantasy species like asura and charr that don’t have primate breasts. It would look really awkward at best if they wore armor designed for human-like races.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Actually humans are the aliens in Tyrian lore

^Yes this.

They should properly make female designs for charr and asura sure.

But I can kind of understand them defaulting on male gear. It’s easier by a majoirty to take cool masculine clothes and make it feminine, than it is to take feminine clothes and make it masculine.

As funny as I think it would be though I’d love to see Rytlock in a dress dancing around singing how he is the prittiest prittiest princess and want’s Thackeray senpai to notice him. [Jokes on him he never will >=)]

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I do NOT want my asura and charr females to dress up according to human standards of a specific culture.

They. Already. Are.

Masculine =/= neutral. Masculine = masculine. Your asura and charr females are dressing according to human standards specifically set on males.

If folks could take a pause from thinking of cultural masculinity as default, and cultural femininity as “other,” this discussion, (and SO many others), could take a huge step forward.

I should be writing.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I just want to know why Asuran females use the male model for Raiment of the Lich
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raiment_of_the_Lich

It’s topless, with nipple piercings pretty much. I wish they’d use the female model for armor sets.

Then again, I wish I got an option. I’d love my human female guardian to use male model designs sometimes to have a baddass armored female.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

And by the way, forcing a woman to be masculine isn’t equalizing her, it’s telling her that feminine isn’t good enough.

In terms of human culture, I agree with you. Asura and Charr are so far removed from human culture though, I don’t see how this applies to them.

I really really like that Asura armor is usually unisex. I’m not opposed to some girly armor being added for people that play female Asura and want to look girly. But I don’t. If I logged in and my poor female Asura engie was suddenly wearing a dress (or even worse, had breasts), I would cry.

(edited by Elegy.2159)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I agree. Asura females should have breasts, and charr females should have 6.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Elegy.2159

I would legit quit playing either of these races if this happened.

heartless.6803

I don’t want drastic sweeping character model changes, would just like some options on gear choices.

Mainly the sweeping inconsistencies with outfits. Some use male model, others use female model. Winter outfit uses female model, halloween event ones uses male model. It just seems like there wasn’t much work or thought that went into it. It strikes me as lazy art QA.

Smooth Penguin.5294

But it would be biologically accurate. Asura are “humanoids”, so they most likely have the same necessary makeup as most living “humanoid” things. Charr are feline, and most have 6 nipples.

heartless.6803

But it would be biologically accurate. Asura are “humanoids”, so they most likely have the same necessary makeup as most living “humanoid” things. Charr are feline, and most have 6 nipples.

Actually Asura more resemble creatures like Skritt or dredge. Both having a somewhat gender ambiguous look. Not biologically accurate but whatever it’s a game.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Think of asura like little monkeys. Monkeys breast feed their young, so should asura. Charr are feline, and if you ever had a cat, you’d see that they have more than one pair of nipples to feed their kittens. Dogs too.

Elegy.2159

I get your point, but biological accuracy isn’t important to me. If you want to nitpick about biological accuracy, the humans in GW2 are grossly out of proportion. The artistic license that’s been taken with them looks good though! I like the fantasy aspect of Asura and Charr – that they’re from a place different than Earth and not bound to the same rules. Whether or not they’re technically mammals, I’d rather not look at more boobs in this game, lol. If I wanted to look at boobs, I’d play my human females more often. Asura also have a comical (bordering on childlike) quality about them, and I think giving them breasts would be so out of place with their animations.

In terms of their culture, it doesn’t seem like femininity for the sake of fashion is important. Which is why I understand Anet’s decision to give them male armor models most of the time – it’s just more “functional” than some of the female counterparts. Like I said, if people want to put their Asura (or Charr) in skirts, more power to them. I hope something they’d enjoy is added eventually. I just think it would be terrible to make sweeping changes to what’s already available, character models included.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I just wish we could have the option to choose between male or female versions of armor and outfits. Both sides of this argument would be happy I think.

The ancestral outfit looks really nice and we get the female version for asura.
I just wish we could choose to wear the noble dress outfit too :c

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

A Gnome with human female curves and a cat with female curves. This wont end well :-)

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Seriously, stop it. Stop thinking of alien races as though they were human genders. JUST STOP IT. They’re not furries fulfilling Rule 34 for you. They are imaginary beings with a society and physiology about which you know nothing.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Think of asura like little monkeys. Monkeys breast feed their young, so should asura. Charr are feline, and if you ever had a cat, you’d see that they have more than one pair of nipples to feed their kittens. Dogs too.

You’d have to go back and look through concept art of the Asuran race.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Asura

They were originally a subterranean race after all, similar to but not quite like the Dredge (molemen).

That being said I’m glad clothing for both races are unisex. I mean there are are hardly any defining physical features between the sexes, besides the obvious that needs no mentioning.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You want feminine for your Asura/Charr?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Desert_Rose_Skin

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

(Speaking for Asura) I don’t want a body change, just options to choose female versions of the armor and outfits where we are forced to use male versions. It worked for the ancestral outfit. Im sure an asura can still wear a dress even if they dont have a female figure :/

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’m not sure that transferring human gender stereotypes, that are often considered negative, to non human races is a good idea.

One is not less of a girl, or female, for wearing pants. One is not more of a girl, or female, for wearing a dress.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

I’m not sure that transferring human gender stereotypes, that are often considered negative

Making things up to enforce your opinion are we?

Unisexing anything is lazy design, period.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

They. Already. Are.

Masculine =/= neutral. Masculine = masculine. Your asura and charr females are dressing according to human standards specifically set on males.

What I mean is that human female armor is designed to accommodate (and sometimes focus on) prominent breasts and wide hips, dresses especially. Putting a large and skimpy froo-froo dress on an asura or a charr — species who do not share these human physical traits — would make no sense whatsoever. And I’m not even mentioning the difference in cultural standards for these races…

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Do you mean like this?
Just because its not human dosen’t mean they have to dress like boys.
None of my concern though as long as they keep the male armor masculine.

Attachments:

Astral Projections.7320

They. Already. Are.

What I mean is that human female armor is designed to accommodate (and sometimes focus on) prominent breasts and wide hips, dresses especially. Putting a large and skimpy froo-froo dress on an asura or a charr — species who do not share these human physical traits — would make no sense whatsoever. And I’m not even mentioning the difference in cultural standards for these races…

^

And that is exactly the point. Human female clothing is made to accentuate human female sexual secondary characteristics. Asura value large ears and broad foreheads as well as the sexy ability to design experiment. Charr probably think fluffy tails, the different teeth between males and females and a sleeker physical build is sexy, as well as the ability to fight.

If you want sexy clothing for your Asura, get something that flatters her ears and for perfume, spritz her with some used engine oil.

Posted by: Myraiya.4052

Myraiya.4052

They. Already. Are.

i don’t think charr or asura should really have sexy armor. I actually love how non-sexualized they are. and i can’t imagine charrs in a dress. they would punch it to pieces lol. (i would if i was a charr). However, because asura look cute i can kinda imagine people wanting to dress them really cute as well. but perhaps they should look more into the ribbon direction than the bedroom direction.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

While I don’t want “cutesy” female armor for my Asura or Charr, I also don’t like that there is zero difference between male and female armor. Its just lame. Why offer different sexes for those races if there are very little ways of telling the difference anyway?

One huge problem is the stupid long coats / skirted armor. If male armor didn’t have it you could at least give females the option of skirts. But since almost every kitten armor has a skirt you can’t use that to tell sex…

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol