Stop Unisexing Charr and Asura

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

male and female should have different clothes, just try military as woman and see you have to wear men underpants with loose spot just in front of the thing it’s supposed to make more comfortable.
that’s awkward… plus, as female, you have more mass on the sides of your thighs. normal fit pants for men is one size bigger for women because of this mass. note that there is more mass behind legs. its called butt.
if woman has small boobz like i do then you can be certain she has at least that mass somewhere. dont try to say our butt looks like men’s because it’s differently shaped for real. actually instinctively butt might be what spins the world around.

conclusion:
because of the mass the women have, they wear different clothes.

boobz are irrelevant in cases like asura and charr, but yes both race female are differently shaped in comparison to same race male.
just look closely on the pixels in the game. you might see it.

(edited by Pockethole.5031)

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

My wife and I are making the best of the situation.

omg that thing on the right is going to give me nightmares Q_Q

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Humans are a lot more “sexist” than the other races.
Men and woman perform different roles because of dogma.

Asurans are all equal in task and duty.
Same goes for char since the flame legion was rejected.

But yes, some differentiation would be nice.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

It seems to me that many armor set were basically designed for one human gender(…)

Indeed, personally I believe they spend more time working on female armor than male. Also, one just has to look at how ugly stretched most Charr armor looks to notice that all (except cultural, of course) armor was created for human.
I also wish Asura and Charr armor wasn’t unisex, I was very disappointed when I changed my Asura to female.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I’ve mentioned this very subject before on many occasions and it falls on deaf ears.
Female asuras are asking for something a little more girly to seperate us from the boys not something completely over the top sexy.
Yes my heart sank when i found out my female asura mesmer wouldn’t have the butterfly on her carpace armor set, that noble set was a complete no no.
I only play asuras, i did think late on last year to change to a human character but i just cant do, i love playing asuras, guess you love em or hate em.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Unisexing should NOT automatically assume male. Like a poster above stated. Assuming such belittles the femininity part of our fashion. Males can wear dresses and skirts just as much as females, it’s our society’s rules that keep that from being so openly practiced here in the US.

And I said from time to time moving over the female version of the outfit because they almost ALWAYS seem to default on the male. We have plenty of masculine looking options for now. We need more feminine. If the asura do not care what they wear then why is it such a big deal?

And the boob argument. Little girls wear dresses. So can Asura. It’s not going to hurt anybody by giving a few options for frilly skirts (since we have an overabundance of masculine options anyway). The cabalist set would have looked amazing on Asura if they were given the female human look to it instead of the tribal crap that was given to us. They could have given us the butterflys (I outright raged when I saw that I couldn’t have the butterfly shoulders on my asura mesmer). There is more to femininity then accenting breasts and hips.

If asura do not care what they wear then why is it a big deal?
Because GW2 caters to the majority of players since it intends to make a profit. I’m willing to bet there are more male players than female players in this game.

And I’m pretty sure that there are more male and females who don’t want the traditional girly “pink and skirty” looks on their characters than female players who do.

So my question becomes – why cater to a minority?
And if they should cater to a minority – why yours? Why not the trinity people or the ultra hardcore ?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I just want the butterfly shoulders, they look so much better.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Males can wear dresses and skirts just as much as females…

Yeah, it’s called 90% of heavy armor leggings that look like kitten on Charr.
:\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

im morally opposed to seeing a giant cat in a dress….

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A Charr in a dress is the epitome of femininity.

Attachments:

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

as somebody who exclusive only got female charrs….i double that. What i rather want to see is more love in charr and also asura versions of armors in game rewards and gem store items. The armor got a skirt? Make it a lioncloth and give it a tail hole for charr. The armor got something like a hood or whatever? Ear holes for asura… or re-model the part to fit them and obviosly charr..and not just BS something last minute cause you only can be bothered to drool over the female human version for 90% of your work time. “B-but basalt thats extra work and kitten and i dun wanna” Yea.. and i kittening pay for a fair amount of it…or would even more so i expect equal quality the least….aaaand i went off topic…so i gonna shut up

Rauderi.8706

I’m going to point out that the pink tutu is on a dude.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. If Gnasher Feelpretty wants a dress, Gnasher Feelpretty gets a dress.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

That’s one of those creepy new faces. Looks like what you get if you press ‘random’ in the Oblivion character creation screen.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Astral Projections.7320

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. If Gnasher Feelpretty wants a dress, Gnasher Feelpretty gets a dress.

The face looks female. It certainly lacks the typical male teeth. Many human females shave certain parts of their body. Maybe some female Charrs do too. ^^

Edit: the Tybalt mini has a female tail. I wonder if that means he is now a she. I know death is a transforming experience, but I never expected that.

Attachments:

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

What annoys me is that almost every single medium armour for Charr is a darn coat. The numbers of armours that are not is 3-4 pieces – out of how many!!!???

Plz make more armour NOT being a coat for charr. It looks ugly with all the stretching to make human clothes fit on charr and it often creates clipping!

I have 8 charrs and one humanoid character (sylvari – that doesnt use other than leafy armours)……

Kima & Co

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

What frustrates me the most out this situation is having one set of ascended armor that looks awesome on my human mesmer female but if I switch it over to my asura mesmer, it looks like a 5 year old tried playing dress up. So I can’t have my winged leggings (which I do like for the asura) because I don’t want my human running around looking like she should be standing in the red light district of Divinity’s Reach! I don’t have the resources to make another light ascended set just for the fashion look (because that is crazy).

I don’t want boobs slapped onto my Asura, what I would like is more than 3 skirts in the whole fashion wardrobe to pick from! And no, the half pants half skirts do not count. I don’t want my Asura to look like 3/4 of the human wardrobe…as that’s a whole different topic about objectifying the woman form that this thread doesn’t need to delve into. I just want another kitten skirt! And one that looks decent on ALL the character models.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

I’m probably gonna be alone in this but this is a terrible idea. The female armor is skimpy alot of the time and people don’t want that. Asura and Charr are the only real options atm for people that want to look awesome despite their gender. My kid cousin would be so sad if her Charr bamf had to wear the same skimpy silly outfits as everyone else.

(edited by Photonman.6241)

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

That’s one of those creepy new faces. Looks like what you get if you press ‘random’ in the Oblivion character creation screen.

I see many male and female Asura using those kinds of faces now. They actually think its cute lol. I love Asura but those monsters need to be exterminated with fire XD.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

There’s a reason I have 2 sylvari, 2 norn and 2 humans, but only one charr and one asura.

If anything, given that asura and charr do, in the GW2 universe, have sex and have children, it’s more ridiculous that both genders are treated as if they are one, while Sylvari which possess absolutely no sexual organs whatsoever and cannot reproduce (the only source of Sylvari being the Mother Tree) are given the same clothing treatment as humans and norns. The idea of sylvari even having genders in the first place was already strange given that the concept of possessing a gender is irrelevant if the individuals have no sexual role – and the lack of any differentiating organs make them also in effect anatomically identical.

In practice it went more along the lines of ’let’s make sylvari plant-elves and give them vestigial plant-breasts so people can imagine that they’re elves, and since they have breasts now, they need female armor designed around the presence of breasts’, while charr got the short end of the stick by just being furry kittens, and asura don’t have the same treatment because it would look borderline illegal in some jurisdictions if they did.

P.S. Nipple-piercings for female asura RotL outfit is not acceptable, I can’t use that outfit on my asura without it looking hideously wrong.

Rauderi.8706

At least we don’t have playable ogres and Kodan, where “shirt” is a “secondary sex characteristic” suitable for dimorphism.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

This is my main, an Asura engi named Hip Hop Hamster. Quite obviously a female, right? This is male model for this coat, but I hate the female version tbh. I’ve tried it on my female human ranger, and I’m so glad my Asura engi has the male option.

Asura and Charr are the only real options atm for people that want to look awesome despite their gender.

This. I don’t always like gender to be a huge part of my gameplay. I look at my character all the time, and it feels weird to be doing such active things in such skimpy armor on humans. It’s probably silly for this to bother me, but it has since launch, and it has in most games. The armor options for human females who want to look more modest or functional are few and far between. I have so few/rarely play my human characters for this reason (can’t bring myself to play a male, don’t know why). I also find Asura animations to be hilarious, I can’t resist.

I’m aware all this says more about me as a person than as a player, but I’m sure I’m not the only one. Sex sells in GW2 as well as anywhere else, and deep down I want no part in that. I think it’s set up well as it is now. You can look distinctly female as an Asura or Charr without having culturally human hallmarks of femininity (certain clothing profiles, breasts, etc.) OR you can be a sexy human or norn female. Whatever floats your boat.

Attachments:

Posted by: Sparrow.8423

Sparrow.8423

Clearly, then, you didn’t get the point I am trying to get across. According to you, I’m suggesting all armor should be purely utilitarian, in which case there would only be one set of armor for each weight category. That’s not it.

Following my example, you can have cubic armors and spherical armors with pretty patterns all you want. The point is that a cubic robot can’t wear a spherical armor and vice-versa because they’re not the same shape, and the small red robot (in Guild Wars 2, the asura/charr female) is going to wear the same armor as the blue robot (in Guild Wars 2, the male characters) because they share an essential property that is the shape.

Not the color.

Lol… I guess now that I think about it, we are arguing different points to no purpose really. You are saying there is a specific reason that the asura clothing is cut that way, I’m saying I’d like to see more personality in the style of that cut. Our points don’t actually clash, not really, so there isn’t a point for us to either.

Cheers! :P

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

The Charrs are seeing both male and female as one, I remember something that I read, about before GW2(?) female Charr was much lower rank than male Charrs.
Kinda like how Son of Svanir are seeing Norn females- They were weak, useless and not as powerful as men are.
But ya, anyway.. the Male Charr changed it, because blah blaa blaahh, so the Charrs are now equal to each other. Which is cool imo.

Asura in the other hand.. well, why not? You barely see their armors anyway so I don’t mind it for both Asura and Charr.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The face looks female. It certainly lacks the typical male teeth. Many human females shave certain parts of their body. Maybe some female Charrs do too. ^^

Edit: the Tybalt mini has a female tail. I wonder if that means he is now a she. I know death is a transforming experience, but I never expected that.

He lost his tail in “The War”. That one’s a transplant…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Chlorure.9763

Chlorure.9763

My female charr doesnt need fake human boobs.

My female charr doesnt need fake human boobs.

Again the OP was talking about clothing options, he never said anything about boobs.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Xaton.1902

Xaton.1902

or least allow female charr to have flow gowns like front half open like the human noble outfit but the front half is open and more like necromancer style clichi gown robe. and let it be flat aginst the chest no shape to show it. pretty sure charr that live in human areas probly want to feel pretty once while.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Below is my charr in a dress. I really don’t understand why people want more of this. Charr anatomy just isn’t made for human female clothes, and the same applies to asura.

Attachments:

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Below is my charr in a dress. I really don’t understand why people want more of this. Charr anatomy just isn’t made for human female clothes, and the same applies to asura.

Actually it works for asura because their body has a more humanoid shape.
It doesn’t work for charr because they are hunchbacks. And look more like animals.

That dress you showed looks super cute on asura females

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I have really liked the treatment of design on Charr and Asurans. That having them exude human beauty standards and focus has been refreshing.

However, making the one version fits all has been awkward, (and seemingly lazy).
No, I don’t want a chainmail bikini on my Charr, but I am looking for some designs that don’t completely obscure everything except her posture.
The Nobel’s Outfit was a disappointment for my female Asura. I thought she could finally have a new dressy outfit, but its the same as the male’s version.
Its pretty disappointing.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

(edited by Sankofa Jimiyu.1567)

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Haha, I try to imagine a sexy Asura held for girls. But I do not know if you’ll like it. If you find it too daring, not female: i’m at girl, not a fashion designer ! =D
I took the advice!

Attachments:

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

Honestly, I’d rather have them start fixing the armor clipping issues on asura and charr first. Or just start making armor, outfits and clothing that are compatible with asura ears and toes & char horns, ears and tails.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

For those saying Charr have 6 nips, should go play CoF story again and/or go look at Gaheron. He only has two. Also keep the unisex armor for charr at least.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Lazaar.9123

For those saying Charr have 6 nips, should go play CoF story again and/or go look at Gaheron. He only has two. Also keep the unisex armor for charr at least.

Well yeah… they’re male. xD

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

and male cats irl have only 2 nips? Isn’t there that one rule where the fetus always starts off as female?

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Astral Projections.7320

Males and females have the same number. Have you ever looked at your male dog or cat? Same number as the female.

Lazaar.9123

Datamined charr female textures don’t even seem to have nips.

Astral Projections.7320

Datamined charr female textures don’t even seem to have nips.

Removed as being too pornographic.

J/k. :P

Lazaar.9123

Eh, i’ve never really understood why people think that because Charr are felines, that they must have every feline characteristic. Going by regular rules of anthromorphic DNA ratios, the number of characteristics stems from how humanoid the anthromorphic race is.

Astral Projections.7320

Eh, i’ve never really understood why people think that because Charr are felines, that they must have every feline characteristic. Going by regular rules of anthromorphic DNA ratios, the number of characteristics stems from how humanoid the anthromorphic race is.

What are anthromorphic DNA ratios? I googled it and didn’t find that term.

If you are talking about fantasy creatures, it’s whatever the lore says it is.

Lazaar.9123

It’s more akin to the furry fandom, which Charr ultimately fall into, being an anthromorph in a fantasy world. You are right it is whatever the lore says it is though, so people saying that something has to be anatomically correct certainly doesn’t apply.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Astral Projections.7320

It’s more akin to the furry fandom, which Charr ultimately fall into, being an anthromorph in a fantasy world. You are right it is whatever the lore says it is though, so people saying that something has to be anatomically correct certainly doesn’t apply.

I’m not sure that ANet has clarified in its own mind if the Charr have 2 or 6. I’ve noticed the males have 2 but in a long ago discussion inside the company published before the game came out about whether the females should have breasts, the designer basically said, 6 or none (visible human like breasts). So they went with none.

So, in spite of the males showing 2 they said the females have 6 (even though that is biologically inaccurate for terrestrial mammals).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Artistic_Origin_of_the_Charr

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

They also haven’t fully seemed to make up their mind whether charr are variants of wolves or cats.

Astral Projections.7320

They also haven’t fully seemed to make up their mind whether charr are variants of wolves or cats.

I would say variants of cows or cats myself

Posted by: Candy.6835

Candy.6835

Haven’t been able to post the past few days.

To the person who states they ‘cater to the majority and the majority is male’ and ‘some females don’t want frilly stuff’ excludes the fact that some males want frilly cute things in this.

And 30-40% MAYBE a minority but it’s still a BIG minority of players Anet is completely ignoring with their lack of skirts. I’m not saying SKIRTS ALL THE TIME NOW. I’m stating we need more OPTIONS (more then 3-7 if you include outfits). Unisexing shouldn’t default to male. That ‘Asura don’t think about sexuality as we do’ doesn’t excuse the constant male look move over. They are their own race and have their own looks. If it wasn’t just lazy design on their part the Asura would have a completely different look then just ‘male skin move over’. Same can be said about Charr.
Even if you’re happy with what you’ve got now, doesn’t negate that others are VERY unhappy. Why not cater to the ones who are asking for something different since the others have what they need anyway? It’s not going to hurt/kill to give more skirts as options for charr/asura. I may think that a charr in a dress maybe weird looking but SOMEONE out there will enjoy that option.
Ignoring the 30-40% playerbase completely is an untaped market and stupid. It maybe a minority, as I stated above, but it’s a BIG minority. There are more people who want more skirts then you give credit for, male or female in real life.

The humonoid creatures have LOTS to choose from (mind you medium has a lot of UGLY coats but that’s a discussion for another post). You can be stripperella or you can look like you’d actually survive in a battle.
Why can’t we have more options for Asura and Charr like that? (I’m not stating I want stripperella Asura or charr, we have the Lich outfit for that, hello nipple clips just MORE options then what we’re being force fed).

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

And 30-40% MAYBE a minority but it’s still a BIG minority of players Anet is completely ignoring with their lack of skirts.

Made up statistics are not pertinent.

Unisexing shouldn’t default to male.

Unisex armor isn’t designed for males specifically. It’s designed for flat-chested creatures.

They are their own race and have their own looks. If it wasn’t just lazy design on their part the Asura would have a completely different look then just ‘male skin move over’. Same can be said about Charr.

“Lazy design” allows for an overall much larger variety of armor available. Besides, if each race had their own custom design for each set of armor (which would take 5 times more resources each, and so 5 times the development time), I can guarantee you players would ask to make them available for all anyway.

As of right now, players can wear armor from other races except for cultural sets. For example, a charr can wear Inquest gear, and an asura can wear Flame Legion gear.

I still think the best option would be unisex armor design for all races, and release new unisex armor sets with the skimpy human female design themes. That way, everyone can enjoy butterflies or no butterflies on their carapace armor.

Unisexing shouldn’t default to male.

Unisex armor isn’t designed for males specifically. It’s designed for flat-chested creatures.

cough Phalanx Armor cough

~Sincerely, Scissors

Astral Projections.7320

Idk, I just don’t know. Which should get the dress and which not? And the dyes, which dyes would be best…. It’s so hard to decide.

Blood? Iron? Abyss?

I know! Humiliation!

Attachments:

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Idk, I just don’t know. Which should get the dress and which not? And the dyes, which dyes would be best…. It’s so hard to decide.

Blood? Iron? Abyss?

I know! Humiliation!

Does it make you feel pretty?

But back on topic could someone enlighten the community on the general reasoning behind the focus/direction on/of the armor skins in the game?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.